PDA

View Full Version : The Macharious

Commander Lance
07-09-2008, 09:40
I absolutely LOVE the Macharious tank from Forge World, specifically the dual Vanquisher variant. I'm very likely going to buy one but I want to know if its even really smart to take one in game? Is it actually worth the points? Is it even a viable option.

Plus, is their a sort of 'template' that people use to judge the worth of a vehicle point wise? For example, a nice, balanced tank worth X amount of points that is the bar for the worth of points of a tank? Does that even make sense? hahaha

Grimtuff
07-09-2008, 09:47
Who cares if it is? As with most FW things if it looks pretty then just buy it for the sake of that. The only time you'll using it is in Apocalypse where "viable options" (read: is my army going to stomp everything all the time? :rolleyes:) are of no concern.

BTW, The Macharius' rules are in Imperial Armour:Apocalypse.

Slaaneshi Slave
07-09-2008, 10:31
I have a Macharius Vulcan. I painted it up and it sits on my shelf looking pretty. It's a nice looking model and that's all that matters.

MegaPope
07-09-2008, 10:33
Who cares if it is? As with most FW things if it looks pretty then just buy it for the sake of that. The only time you'll using it is in Apocalypse where "viable options" (read: is my army going to stomp everything all the time? ) are of no concern.

BTW, The Macharius' rules are in Imperial Armour:Apocalypse.

Point one here: I fully agree:D.

Point two: not necessarily. The Macharius, like the Malcador, is one of those rare warmachines that won't be overwhelmingly nasty @2000-2500 points. It's adequately priced for what it does, and doesn't mount any super-evil-nasty special weaponry like the Baneblade and its variants. The effect of its main gun is pretty much like a Bombard shell, and the Bombard is available as a normal HS choice in IG.

Since the Baneblade and its variants were knocked down in price for Apoc, the Macharius is actually 'overpriced' to some extent for that game setup.

Lord Cook
07-09-2008, 12:26
I would say the Macharius is slightly overcosted. But who cares? It looks great, it's cool, it's fun to use. Of course it gets more useful the more heavy armour your opponent includes, so if he has nothing but monoliths, or land speeders, it won't be worth it. But if he has lots of land raiders or leman russ? Game on!

Adra
07-09-2008, 12:34
Yeah dont overthink it. if you got the cash and you like it, buy it.

Master Stark
07-09-2008, 13:29
Yeah dont overthink it. if you got the cash and you like it, buy it.

Can't argue with that.

Every time you wonder if a model is worth its points, god kills a domokun. Please, think of the domokuns.

Bunnahabhain
07-09-2008, 13:33
If anything, it's underpowered/overcosted.

Doesn't matter, as it looks good.

Dengar
07-09-2008, 19:35
Yep ive got one of these bad boys waiting for me at ukgd il have fun with this one.

Darkane
07-09-2008, 21:06
As others have pointed out its a bit underpowered and overpriced for what it does but I don't think that rules it out as being a viable option to take in games. From my own personal experience the Macharius is a great support tank and tends to get overlooked especially when there are other nastier things on the table. I tend to either run it alongside my baneblade to add some more punch to an assualt or place it somewhere I could use a little more firepower. It's more vulnerable to strength D weaponry though, as it has a higher chance of getting both its structure points wiped off in a single blast than a larger superheavy tank with 3 points would. It's also not as devastating as other superheavies but again it makes a pretty good supporting vehicle in my opinion. Although I suppose it can also be argued that a few leman russes would be just about as good or perhaps even better but still, the Macharius just looks too good to pass up. :p

tattoo_dan
09-09-2008, 17:35
Point wise, you're better off with the regular Macharius wich is basically 2 Leman Russ and costs about the same. Fun wise, the Vulcan is fun to play especially against Marines in regular 40k games of about 2000pts and fits in quite well, not at all overbalanced. And for some reason, people are really scared at that mega-bolter, even tho it's not as powerful/effective as many other weapons. That thing just looks awesome ! Worth a few extra points in my opinion...:D

galahad67
10-09-2008, 17:45
I have 2 mach/VMB and 1 Mach/Vanq

they are beautiful.

They make me happy to be able to field them.

My opp do not like them - they especially hate the Mach/vmbs.

I prefer the vmb version tothe vanq as I can get the effectivenes of the Vanq for less paionts form other tanks. the Mach/VMB can eliminate 1 Squad of MEQs and 1 squad of meat sheild troops per turn. It must be dealt with immediately or the opp will have few, if any troops left after turn 2.

The Mach/VMB can control a large area of ground - at least 36"

The Mach/vanq is less effective in ground control.

but still very pretty...

SanguinaryDan
10-09-2008, 18:15
I've got a Mach-Vanq and found it to be the single most enjoyable choice for Land Raider hunting in my IG army.

-begin hijack

If any of you Macharius owners have the sponson Heavy Flamers and/or Heavy Stubbers lying around I will happily buy or trade for them. PM me.

-end hijack:angel: