PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Four Gamers (40K 5th Edition)

Fin-man
08-09-2008, 17:34
With the release of 40K 5th edition, our circle of friends decided it was a good time to give the game another go. (Most of us dropped out in 4th edition, and went for WHFB instead.) We decided to each build 2000 points of a given army over five months, painting 400 points worth of models each month starting Sept. 1st.

I've been tasked with being the online cruise director for this endeavor, so I compiled a list of the participants and their basic armies: (They can each expand on their own lists)

First off is M-Murphy – he will be doing an Ork army. His basic list will be:

•HQ: Big Mek
•HQ: Weirdboy
•Troops: 21 Boyz w/ Nob
•Elite: 10 Nobz w/ Trukk
•Fast Attack: 3 Deffkoptas
•Fast Attack: 3 Deffkoptas
•Fast Attack: 6 Warbikers w/ Nob
•Heavy Support: Battlewagon

He will be painting the Nobz Truuk, 6 Warbikes and a unit of 21 Boyz for his first month.

The next person is 1sithlord – he is doing a Tyranid army. His basic list will be:

•HQ: Hive Tyrant
•Elite: 6 Warriors
•Elite: 5 Warriors
•Elite: 5 Warriors
•Troops: 24 Hormagaunts
•Troops: 24 Gaunts
•Troops: 12 Genestealers
•Troops: 12 Genestealers
•Heavy Support: Carnifex
•Heavy Support: Carnifex

He will be painting the Hormagaunts and a Carnifex for his first month.

The next person is astartes6 – he is doing a Tau army. His basic list will be:

•HQ: Commander in Suit, 2 shield drones
•Elite: 3 Stealth Suits & 2 gun drones
•Elite: 3 Stealth Suits & 2 gun drones
•Elite: 1 Crisis Suit & 2 gun drones
•Troops: 12 Fire Warriors & Devilfish
•Troops: 12 Fire Warriors & Devilfish
•Troops: 12 Fire Warriors
•Troops: 19 Kroot
•Fast Attack: Piranha & 2 gun drones
•Heavy Support: 2 Broadside suits & 2 shield drones

He will be painting three 12 man fire warrior squads for his first month.

Last, but not least is me. I will be doing Dark Angels. (Hey, someone had to do a SM army, and my Steel Legion IG are already painted.) My basic list will be:

•HQ: Chaplin in Term. Armor
•HQ: Belaial
•Elite: Dreadnought
•Troops: 10 Tactical squad
•Troops: 10 Tactical squad
•Troops: 5 Terminators
•Fast Attack: 6 bikes, and 1 attack bike

My first 400 point block will be:
•Troop: 10 man Tactical squad
•Troop: 5 Terminators

Each person will add their own posts each month of what they planned, what they accomplished, and any additional bits they wish to put in. I hope you all find it enjoyable.

Fin-man

Fin-man
08-09-2008, 18:40
As I originally indicated, I already own a painted Steel Legion IG army. (It needs three tanks to finish, but all the 90+ troop models are painted.) I looked at what everyone else was doing, and decided to return to my first gaming army. When I was introduced to 40K waaay back in 2nd edition, the first model I ever purchased was a Dark angels Dreadnought and the fluff I enjoyed the most was out of the ‘Angels of Death’ Codex. (Man that takes me back) :)

I have one problem, however – I don’t really care to paint. (It’s my least favorite aspect of the hobby) I usually buy / trade for fully-painted armies, as it gets me playing without the tediousness of painting. I like the collecting, building, and especially playing of the hobby – but the painting… I committed to this as much to have a fully-painted army, as to have a fully-painted army of my own.

Having been out of 40K for almost the entire 4th edition, I looked at the models for Dark Angels and was suitably impressed. They had their own veteran marines, Ravenwing Battleforce, and other goodies that made me ‘Ooh’ and ‘Ahh’ from the quality standpoint. They also still had Azarial and his little helmet bearer – one of my all-time favorite 40K miniatures. I did some wheeling and dealing, as well as some shopping at my LGS and ended up with a large force for very little cash. (Right now, I’ve only spent about $125 and have two Black Reach SM sets, 20 DA veterans, a Ravenwing Battleforce, 15 additional Terminators, Sammel, Azarial, Ezekiel, a Terminator Chaplin, and 5 Devastators.)

The Black Reach marines are very nice looking so the Tactical Squad will be my first painting attempt along with 5 OOP metal Terminators I have. I have been looking at the total models count for my 2000 point force, and feeling a little guilty for the lack of model-count vs. almost everyone else. But, given my lack of desire to paint it might all work out. If I find myself too far ahead, I may consider doing large point blocks for months three and four. I'll let you know how it goes...

Fin-man

M-Murphy
09-09-2008, 08:01
I too hate to paint, my usual painting method is to buy a can of 'colored' spray paint and base my models with that. Follow the spray paint with some basic black for a gun and a small detail here or there and I am done. I also have an absolute rule against playing with un-painted models. I lose what models are in what unit and remove models I should not because I do not pay enough attention to it.

I quit playing 40k in the early middle 3rd edition (I did play 1 game in 4th edition to see). I choose Orks because I remember in 2nd edition they were more dangerous to themselves then the enemy was and I like that concept. I still have my original Eldar army (most all models are 2nd edition--ie guardians with las-guns). As I mentioned already, I hate painting, but like any unpleasant task, if it needs to be done, you bear down and do it. I already have my first month's models done (pictures to follow) and have started my second months models (3 of the deth coptas are done). Collecting is fine, painting sucks, I am all about the playing, but as I will not play with un-painted models I think my force will be done in about 1 month instead of 5 (5 weeks is my goal).

For this project, I plan to use the normal painting rules (prime white or black then apply paint to all parts of the model)

M-Murphy

Toschenko
09-09-2008, 13:47
It seems like you're going to need some motivational kicks in the rear zone for this project :p, I'll be glad to take care of it :D.

Right now, I’ve only spent about $125 and have two Black Reach SM sets, 20 DA veterans, a Ravenwing Battleforce, 15 additional Terminators, Sammel, Azarial, Ezekiel, a Terminator Chaplin, and 5 Devastators

Fin-man, with those $125 you bought a fancy balaclava, don't you? The minis came after that :D

Toschenko

M-Murphy
10-09-2008, 05:10
I finished my first months worth of models so for my next month (week), I wil be doing 3 def coptas, the wierd boy, and the Big Mek (with shock attack gun).

I want to finish painting all my models so I can play with them (that is why I bought them).

Daniel36
10-09-2008, 08:27
Hey pal. Spraypaint your Deff Koptas black, heavily drybrush everything with Boltgun Metal, then splotch on some Badab Black and Gryphonne Sepia wash, and you are finito!!

Hope that helps.

Darnok
10-09-2008, 11:46
I too hate to paint, my usual painting method is to buy a can of 'colored' spray paint and base my models with that. Follow the spray paint with some basic black for a gun and a small detail here or there and I am done.

For doing Orks, if I where you I would do something like the following:

Spray your stuff black.
Heavily drybrush the whole model with a metal, Boltgun Metal or similar.
Paint the skin parts in a not too dark green, e.g. Goblin or Snot Green.
Apply a green wash to the skin, to get some easy shading - this goes really fast, don't worry.
Paint clothes and weapons brown, black or whatever colour you prefer.
Done!

This will give you some simple, but effective painted models, that look good at first glance. You can wash the metals with a brown/sepia wash, for that rusted look, or leave it blank. And you can add any amount of details later. The important thing is: with the method above you get your miniatures to an okay standard really fast.

I also have an absolute rule against playing with un-painted models.

Thumbs up! I wish for more people with this attitude.

1sithlord
11-09-2008, 15:04
Hi

I suppose that the other guys in this tale sould start to respond, so I am.

I will be painting tyranids.

My main reason for choosing tyrnids is that I need to get away from the 3+ armies. I was getting very frustrated with them, namely the Ultramarines.

That brings me to one of the reasons I choose tyrnaids is that they are a good background force to face my Space Marine army. Another reason was so I can have a painted army on the table. I am like the other two and I do not paint very fast (usually) and I look forward to getting this one painted on time.

I am trying out the new washes and I hope this makes my life a little easier so I can get them all done.

1sithlord

M-Murphy
12-09-2008, 08:10
What I have so far is black undercoat for vehicles (white for ork's). I then dry brushed bolt gun metal (fairly wet). I then dry brushed red (red make everything go faster). I then added just a little detail here and there.

For the ork boyz I washed Thaka Green, then used two different browns (lighter and darker) for the cloth "clothes". I also painted the gun and choppa black then dry brushed bolt gun metal. I tried to paint the teeth, but my ivory white seemed to only glob on....I used black wash to cover up my mistake.

1sithlord
30-09-2008, 23:02
Hi

So I have to admit that I did not finish for the first month. I still have about 3 hormagaunts and the Canifex to do. :o

I have also decided that I will be doing all the bases at the end so that I can make them all look similar.

For Oct. I will be trying to paint the 2 Genstealer units and a unit of Warriors. (Along with what I did not finish for this month.)

1sithlord

M-Murphy
01-10-2008, 03:23
I am now completely finished with all my painting. I did the battle wagon last trying to think of an easy way to do it and make it look properly orky. I decided in the end to build a ork truck (almost like normal) then I built a second ork truck but I cut the truck in half right behind were the driver would be. I then turned the back half of the trunk glue to the back half of the first on (now it has 8 driving wheels and is longer). I used some of the bits from the boxes to reinforce the two together so they do not fall apart when picked up (like it did the first time I picked it up).

So, this weekend my fully painted 2000 point force will see the light of the battle field (and probably lose to the new space marines).

M-Murphy

Daniel36
01-10-2008, 13:34
Pictures. Please.

M-Murphy
01-10-2008, 14:24
Here are some pictures. I hope they upload correctly.

Darnok
01-10-2008, 15:03
Not bad at all. I like the rusty red metal on the truck and the bike. However, I think some areas could need accents and/or washes, e.g. the rockets on the 'Copters and the fur-parts on some of the helmets, as well as the hairy bits. Other than that it looks like solid TT standard. Keep going! :)

Fin-man
01-10-2008, 18:47
Well, a month has passed, and I am only partially completed. The terminators are done, but the 10 marines are not. My list of excuses starts now::D

*I had some sort of problem with the spray for the terminators - it literally looked like they were covered in sand. (1sithlord can verify this) It took some effort to repair, but the final result was not my ideal.

*The black reach tactical squad had some assembly issues - two of the bolters just won't fit. (I've tried all different kinds of combinations - none of them seem to work.)

*I was lazy. (Hey, it's honest!):angel:

I will try to post some pictures of the terminators ASAP.

Fin-man

Fin-man
07-10-2008, 02:57
A picture of the terminators. I'm still not happy with how they turned out...:(