PDA

View Full Version : How would you respond to GW price

ThunderShrike.
09-09-2008, 01:31
cuts. Yes. Price cuts.

Across the board price cuts between 10-20%. ie A tactical squad that costs AUD$50, will now cost AUD$40-45. Further cuts may not be out of the picture.

There are some people who embody the "snob" effect, they might get turned off something if it becomes cheap ie more accessible.

On the other hand it may dramatically increase sales or....

Void_Dragon
09-09-2008, 01:44
Well, I've been driven back to the game thanks to the weak situation of the GBP. Prices are, essentially like 10 years ago if I order from Britain (especially plastics).
I've bought lots of plastics for 16€, which is almost 50% of the retailer price in Europe.

So I guess a price cut would have a huge effect on me:rolleyes:, and I don't think it would make the product less appealing.
Quite the opposite, I would say, as many players I know have stopped buying stuff just because of their girlfriends telling them "I can't believe you are spending 30€ on that box". A few years ago they complained (they do always complain...), but not so much.

Templar Ben
09-09-2008, 02:35
Would I buy? Sure. Would there be enough to make up for the lost revenue? Not so sure.

I don't think there needs to be an across the board cut as much as there needs to be an examination of the prices of individual units. If you want to begin playing in the US you would buy AoBR for $60 and the new SM Codex for $30 and still would not have a legal army. Yeah you could trade the Orks to someone else for more marines but I don't see that happening for people just starting.

So the only way to have a legal army would be to pick up another $30 squad. That person is $120 into it and he has 2 troops, 2 Elites and an HQ, no vehicles and no fast attack. That pricing makes it hard to get new people involved.

Hicks
09-09-2008, 03:02
I would buy lots! I love to start new armies, but now it's so expensive that I don't choose an army entirely because it's cool, but rather because I can get a bargain or the battleforce is good enough.

I can see myself spending 200$ to start an army, but since for that money you usually can't get a good sized working army, my money doesn't go into GW's pockets at all.

Grimbad
09-09-2008, 04:11
I would buy a green tide then and there.

Kasrkin 666
09-09-2008, 05:27
Well...for me I get thing for that price at my LGS, so i'd be getting things for even cheaper if that happened:D. But if you mean a GW store did that...eh, wouldn't really care.

-Sunny

Charax
09-09-2008, 06:48
It'd have to be a hefty price cut to get me buying GW again (The last GW model I bought was the SM commander when it was released), and even then I'd buy from online retailers for a bigger discount.

Foolish Mortal
09-09-2008, 08:13
Personally, I don't know if it would have that much of an effect for me.

I don't really buy all that much nowadays as I have a large stockpile already. Cheaper prices might mean I pick up a few vehicles and other bits & bobs to try out vehicle conversions, but storage space is more of an issue at for me.

Things may change in the future if GW realease some really cool stuff, but at the moment - I doubt lower prices would make me spend that much more.

Also, like others have said, I would probably pick it up from on online retailer anyway.

Bob5000
09-09-2008, 08:29
Yes , I would respond by buying more .

I have a list of models / units I would add to my existing armies . At the moment I wont buy them on the principle that I regard them as overpriced - I can live without them .

I have X amount of 'leisure' money to spend . I spend it on those items that I regard as giving me value for money .

The boyz
09-09-2008, 10:08
I would probably buy a thew bits here and there, nothing major though. I have lost a lot of *trust* in GW of late. Pants sculpting of late, pants WD etc, so it would take a fair bit of effort from GW, to see me spending my money like I used too.

Khornies & milk
09-09-2008, 10:34
My army collecting plans are nearing completion so once my Armoured Battlegroup list is finished that'll be it for me...4 playable army lists is more than enough for me.

Personally I think there will never be a GW price cut, and as others have also said I'd still buy from on-line Retailers regardless.

EmperorNorton
09-09-2008, 10:44
I'm currently on the fence about starting two new armies (in addition to the eight and a half I already have) and a price cut would mean that I'd go for them.

Bloodknight
09-09-2008, 10:51
What Void_Dragon said. When I see that a Baneblade costs less than 60€ in Britain, I obviously don't buy in Germany where it costs 95. MOst plastic stuff is essentially only slightly more than half price if ordered in Britain, and I will use that - no shop here can give me that amount of percentage...

BrianC
09-09-2008, 11:26
I'd probably buy more as I work on a fixed budget for my hobbies. However I'd still be buying either second hand or from a discounter as both should see a similar discount as the RRP has been reduced.

I can't see price cuts making much of a long term difference as people would rapidly get used to the new prices and still say that they were too expensive.

Better value box sets might be the way forward, for a start actually matching usable unit size against what comes in the box. I'd follow that up with then making battle forces more like Black reach in that its all on a couple of sprues and is obviously less complex than existing multipart. Spearheads would be the ideal way to introduce this by just bundling up two battleforces worth of the new models at a slight discount.

logan054
09-09-2008, 11:41
I would certainly buy more if they cut the prices, i would update my daemon army and i would be far less hesitant about getting back into 40K (atm still undecided, just painting my marine army which has been wanting a paint job for 4 years or so). I think i would be expand my beasts of chaos into a proper army, get the stone trolls i wanted to convert into chaos trolls, get myself a shaggoth, redo my empire, finish my Dark elves and most likely start a VC army. As it stands well i get a warriors of chaos spearhead and couple of bits for my DE.

grickherder
09-09-2008, 11:54
Generally speaking, I've been existing in lowered price land as well. With the disparity between Canadian and US retail prices, if a US ebay seller breaks up battleforce and starter boxes and I can get the contents for 20-30% off of US retail, I've just gotten it for less than the wholesale price here in Canada.

Another thing I've done is not get metal stuff. I bought that jump pack chaplain when he came out (it's a great model) and I grabbed some metal guys off of ebay when no one bid on them, but other than that, I don't go for metal. My metal desires are fufilled by historicals and warmachine.

However, a 20% rollback in the price of a basic squad box would get me buying in local shops again. That's enough to forgo the hassle of watching ebay all the time for deals. Even though gc-minis.com offers 30% of Canadian retail, the high shipping costs means they're not worth it compared to ebay sellers that have flat shipping charges. My price point for retail convenience is about 20% lower than current prices.

plantagenet
09-09-2008, 12:06
Same here I wish I could support my shop in Switzerland but the price fo Black reach is 100 swiss here. Just ordered it from UK for 30 pounds or 60 swiss which is obviously 40% less.

This is the same for so many of there products. The reason why the European part of the GW business is doing so badly is simply because they have priced themselves out of the market. I suspect that the Uk side of the business is doign fairly well at the moment due to the fact it is picking up the extra business.

Long Term effect however could be to reduce the number of European hobby shops and therefore escalate the decline fo there product in Europe as there will be less introductions of the system to new players. GW really need to help these reatilers out and slash there European prices.

Osbad
09-09-2008, 12:11
My personal response would be to rush outside and check whether the moon had suddenly turned blue...

Binabik15
09-09-2008, 12:50
I´d buy more, because instead of ordering online, I could take the train (for free) to the next GW and buy it there. Online I will think thrice about it, because of shipping, reaching certain amounts for extra discount etc.

Ordering abroad, btw, did anyone here order from www.maelstromgames.co.uk to Germany? Free shipping sounds good, because I could try it with a small order first, especially since I´d have to use my dad´s credit card. And he wouldn´t like that all that much, I assume. Or any other good sites?

marv335
09-09-2008, 14:01
Even a small price cut requires a huge increase in sales. I ran the figures a while back.
(this is from memory)
assuming that 50% of the cost is pure profit a 15% price cut requires a 45% increase in sales just to break even.

Templar Ben
09-09-2008, 14:15
43% ;)

GW's number is closer to 70% which would change the increase to 27%. That is presuming that there is no change in the cost structure (no economies of scale or scope) and no new hire required for the increase in volume.

Kulgur
09-09-2008, 14:25
I'd grab a gun, dash outside, shoot down some of the flying pigs, and have some nice bacon sandwiches

marv335
09-09-2008, 14:31
43% ;)

GW's number is closer to 70% which would change the increase to 27%. That is presuming that there is no change in the cost structure (no economies of scale or scope) and no new hire required for the increase in volume.
I did say I was working from memory ;)
The full breakdown is on the site somewhere. I remember there was a huge arguement because someone (I forget who) could not be persuaded that a price cut would need a big sales increase to balance out.

sheck2
09-09-2008, 14:35
cuts. Yes. Price cuts.

Across the board price cuts between 10-20%.

This is already happening - there are many online stores which sell for 20% to 30% off retail price. So a box of marines for $35 is between $24.5 to $28.

What you are really talking about is GW lowering its retail cost...which translates to a much deeper cut than 20%. If the new retail 'price' is 20% less than today...so today's retail of $35 is tommorrow retail of $28.

Than, with online discounters, that means a new 'price' of $20 to $23 dependent on who you buy from.

Yes people would buy more, but enough to justify the profit loss...? Do you really need (actually buy) twice the models...and, if you bought that many once, would you keep buying that many with each release?

Finnigan2004
09-09-2008, 15:21
I think that the best response here is probably anecdotal. The last time GW had a sale that I attended was when they were shutting down their Park Royal shop (in North Vancouver) for renovations. I had not purchased anything from a GW store for probably two years because I can get everything they sell from U.S. discounters for about sixty percent of Canadian retail. Their sale adjusted prices to be approximately the same as said retailers. I walked out with an empire army boxed set, three metal characters in blisters, and three ork trukks that the wife picked out. A couple of weeks later, there was a 25% off sale for the twenty fifth anniversary. I bought the empire wizards box set and a couple of other figures that I needed to round out my empire army at my local independent game store.

I like to buy local, but I hate getting ripped off. Adjusting prices in my country would bring it closer to being in line with other countries, and might save gaming stores here. I have no doubt that it would increase overall revenue as well because with the exceptions noted above, I have not made an impulse purchase from GW in years because I do not buy in store. On a side note, I so did not need an empire army-- I'm going to assemble it soon, and it's only been sitting around for about six months :eyebrows:. Of course, when I do assemble the army, there is not doubt that I will need a Hellblaster. In purchasing said artillerty piece there are two possiblilities: One, there will be another sale. :wtf:
Two, Neal will be happy to have my business at the warstore again. :)

Templar Ben
09-09-2008, 15:27
Yes people would buy more, but enough to justify the profit loss...? Do you really need (actually buy) twice the models...and, if you bought that many once, would you keep buying that many with each release?

I think the biggest growth would not be in having current gamers double their armies but in having it palpable to new gamers that often balk at the entry price.

I think that the best response here is probably anecdotal. The last time GW had a sale that I attended was when they were shutting down their Park Royal shop (in North Vancouver) for renovations. I had not purchased anything from a GW store for probably two years because I can get everything they sell from U.S. discounters for about sixty percent of Canadian retail. Their sale adjusted prices to be approximately the same as said retailers. I walked out with an empire army boxed set, three metal characters in blisters, and three ork trukks that the wife picked out. A couple of weeks later, there was a 25% off sale for the twenty fifth anniversary. I bought the empire wizards box set and a couple of other figures that I needed to round out my empire army at my local independent game store.

I like to buy local, but I hate getting ripped off. Adjusting prices in my country would bring it closer to being in line with other countries, and might save gaming stores here. I have no doubt that it would increase overall revenue as well because with the exceptions noted above, I have not made an impulse purchase from GW in years because I do not buy in store. On a side note, I so did not need an empire army-- I'm going to assemble it soon, and it's only been sitting around for about six months :eyebrows:. Of course, when I do assemble the army, there is not doubt that I will need a Hellblaster. In purchasing said artillerty piece there are two possiblilities. One, there will be another sale. Two, Neal will be happy to have my business at the warstore again.

There is a lot that GW could do with their global pricing. They don't seem to understand how easy it is for their product to cross borders.

Curufew
09-09-2008, 15:38
Ordering abroad, btw, did anyone here order from www.maelstromgames.co.uk to Germany? Free shipping sounds good, because I could try it with a small order first, especially since I´d have to use my dad´s credit card. And he wouldn´t like that all that much, I assume. Or any other good sites?

I'm living in Asia and I order from MSG. They have rather fast services and sometimes instead of the 10% discount, they will have 15% discount events.

On topic:
If they were to decrease price, I would start an army immediately

Vic
09-09-2008, 15:52
Well, since were fantasizing:

I'd buy more, without a doubt. I'd love to get a Chaos Marine army started, a Necron force, Eldar and a proper Ork force. It's not for NOT wanting to get more armies, it's not being able to afford one given my responsibilities as a husband and parent (mortgage, food, fuel, children).

I'd get my nephews involved, let my kids buy their own armies and maybe introduce the game to some more people where I work. Right now, they all look at the price and say "no way" (sad but true).

GW has great product, but they have to evolve mentally to a proper sized company and adjust their marketing and pricing structure and get themselves out of the "cottage industry" mindset they seem to be stuck in. If you increase your customer base, you increase your business and revenue, plain and simple.

Oh well....

Christine
09-09-2008, 15:53
Yeah I'd probably buy more, the cost of minis these days is so darn steep...

dancingmonkey
09-09-2008, 16:09
Continue to make my total conversion to Warmachine...

No, seriously, if it meant a drop in SG prices (How much for four LRs?) then I'm all for it.

Might let me pick up the last few DE units I need to complete my force... really need to pick up that new book before the rise.

I'm really cutting back on stuff, so a price decrease is no longer of much interest. I have more than enough toys to be getting on with, and am managing to resist shiny new toy syndrome quite well these days. Still no new 40k Box yet!

Ward.
09-09-2008, 16:43
cuts. Yes. Price cuts.

Across the board price cuts between 10-20%. ie A tactical squad that costs AUD$50, will now cost AUD$40-45. Further cuts may not be out of the picture.

There are some people who embody the "snob" effect, they might get turned off something if it becomes cheap ie more accessible.

As other people have said, what they really need to do is cut the production and marketing costs first. Currently they're doing that with store restructuring (hopefully they try out that P68? stuff as well) which may lead to reduced costs down the line, although that's unlikely.

Oh I almost turned this into a rant :o

Vic
09-09-2008, 17:02
As other people have said, what they really need to do is cut the production and marketing costs first. Currently they're doing that with store restructuring (hopefully they try out that P68? stuff as well) which may lead to reduced costs down the line, although that's unlikely.

Oh I almost turned this into a rant :o

GW should increase Marketing efforts (especially in the States) and find ways to control production costs.

Lardidar
09-09-2008, 17:23
I would spend exactly the same as I spend now ... but I would get 10% more.

A price cut won't give me more disposable income.

Zink
09-09-2008, 17:37
The last thing I bought from GW was Battle for Skull Pass. I felt that was value for my dollars. If their prices decreased my spending would increase. Right now they get 0 money from me because I'm not that interested in buying another $500 worth of rule books(I own everything for 6th ed warhammer) and I can get more "generic" minis elswhere. If prices decreased there's a lot of lovely new minis that I wouldn't mind having. I'm spending the same amount as always on my hobby, just I choose to spend it elsewhere and get more for my money.

stonehorse
09-09-2008, 18:07
It'd have almost zero impact on my spending habbit.

It's not so much the high prices that put me off GW's products, but the poor quality of their games, and their policy to redo their 3 core systems every 4-5 years... and the ever increasing gap it creates in the armies for the systems.

If GW started to make their non-Special Games worth while I would happily go back to their games.

I'm sure that a sale would help GW, the Credit Crunch is having a big impact on people's spending, if there is a sale on people think that they are getting more for less so are more inclined to spend.

Ethlorien
09-09-2008, 19:36
Hmm, I don't think it would have that big effect on me, to be honest. When I pick something up, 5 dollars this way or that doesn't usually sway me. Sure, I'd love to save, but I don't think I'd be buying any more frequently or in greater quantities then I do now.

ThunderShrike.
09-09-2008, 23:10
I would probably buy a thew bits here and there, nothing major though. I have lost a lot of *trust* in GW of late. Pants sculpting of late, pants WD etc, so it would take a fair bit of effort from GW, to see me spending my money like I used too.

eh pants sculpting you say.

NecronBob
10-09-2008, 02:35
I tend to buy what my budget allows right now. I also order from Warstore, so I'm already getting 20% off. With that discount the product seems to be a good value to me, so I'm in a happy place with my GW purchases.

Would I like it to be cheaper? Sure, but I'd like everything to be cheaper. I probably wouldn't spend anymore money on GW stuff.

Ward.
10-09-2008, 03:38
GW should increase Marketing efforts (especially in the States) and find ways to control production costs.

That was more or less what I said wasn't it :confused:

EmperorNorton
11-09-2008, 10:29
After some of the replies here I placed an order with an English online store for the first time, which offers 25% off retail. That means plastic kits cost about half and metal minis about two thirds of the German retail price.
After figuring in the exchange rate and shipping costs that means I save about 26%. Not bad.

JLEH
11-09-2008, 10:57
cuts. Yes. Price cuts.

I'd be very happy. They've never cut their prices though have they?

Templar Ben
11-09-2008, 12:06

That was more or less what I said wasn't it :confused:

You had mentioned cutting marketing costs so I think there was a presumption that they would not have the money to market in a country the size of the US.

I agree that there is still a lot of waste in the machine.

Crazy Harborc
12-09-2008, 01:39
Well, it is a nice "fantasy" discussion. Oh, there will come a time when GW will reduce prices in various locations (not world wide). Sadly, they will wait until a reduction will be a last gasp, a last attempt to revive the cash cow and save the company from crashing.

Thud
12-09-2008, 12:28
The only thing preventing me from starting a 40k Ork army at this point is the prices.

You guys think you have it bad, well, welcome to my world. I live in Norway's second largest city and there is one, and only one, shop that carries GW. And not only that, a box that is priced at £18 in Britain is £27-30 here. Of course, I could order from Britain, or wherever, but on any order exceeding £17-20 I have to shell out 25% VAT. :(

The Ork army I'm thinking about is themed towards more or less only Warbosses, Nob Bikers and Deff Koptas and has less than 25 models, but will still end up costing me something close to £200. And as a student, that's just not going to happen.

Ward.
12-09-2008, 12:39
You had mentioned cutting marketing costs so I think there was a presumption that they would not have the money to market in a country the size of the US.

I agree that there is still a lot of waste in the machine.

Ohh I see now, My bad. I simply meant trimming the non cost effective things and replacing them with things that do work as opposed to scrapping the projects entirely or leaving them underfunded.

Mr.terminatorbob
15-09-2008, 02:55
I would respond to a price cut by buying more stuff, but scince we're talking about prices, in American dollars, didnt the SM devastor squad use to cost $45? Because I bought one today, and it was priced at $35.

Curufew
16-09-2008, 04:09
I would respond to a price cut by buying more stuff, but scince we're talking about prices, in American dollars, didnt the SM devastor squad use to cost $45? Because I bought one today, and it was priced at $35.

It used to be a metal/plastic hybrid kit and it is horrible to fix together. Moreover GW usually price their metal components at a very high price.

The $35 Dev squad is all plastic

If I remember correctly, the old metal Dreadnought and the new plastic dreadnought cost around the same price