PDA

View Full Version : GW SM Shoulder Pads?

Sir Phobos
09-09-2008, 06:47
Hello,

I am thinking of getting some of the GW metal SM should pads for both arms of my new SM army. The Chapter badge on one side and this type of unit on the other, (FA, tactical squad and so on). I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with them, or dont think they look good before I invest in them?

Thanks,

sydbridges
09-09-2008, 06:50
Hello,

I am thinking of getting some of the GW metal SM should pads for both arms of my new SM army. The Chapter badge on one side and this type of unit on the other, (FA, tactical squad and so on). I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with them, or dont think they look good before I invest in them?

Thanks,

I had no problem with my CSM Legion badges for Emperor's Children, other than that I had to file out the underside of some of the shoulder pads because there tends to be (at least with the pads I received) thick flash near the inside edge of the pads which interferes with actually attaching them to arms. A bit of elbow grease required, but nothing terrible.

BrainFireBob
09-09-2008, 08:24
They are a bit smaller than the newer plastic pads. Not hugely, but they're not as pose-able, if that makes sense.

Eulenspiegel
09-09-2008, 08:28
What Sir Phobos said. The metal shoulder pads are for the most part of older design, and are a little chunkier and smaller than the new style plastic ones.
I think that as of now only the Dark Angels and Black Templars get their shoulder pads in the new style on their plastic sprue (donīt know about the Space Wolves sprue).

ColdWind
09-09-2008, 11:59
I've used the blood angels pads on a number of units, and while they are older style and thus a bit smaller, the ability to highlight the raised details makes them really stand out, and they look much better than decals.

I find they are a particularly good way to make special characters, sargents and veterans stand out from the masses.

TheBigBadWolf
09-09-2008, 12:11
I've used the blood angels pads on a number of units, and while they are older style and thus a bit smaller, the ability to highlight the raised details makes them really stand out, and they look much better than decals.

I find they are a particularly good way to make special characters, sargents and veterans stand out from the masses.

Same here, I tend to only use them on sergents, captains etc, not your bog standard marine, for that stand out look

Tommygun
09-09-2008, 12:14
I have ordered a hundred or so over the last 2 years and for the most part, they are good.
The mold for the assault symbol pads(crossed arrows) seems to be worn out and are mostly badly formed because of this.
There used to be 4 tactical squad pads, but I think they dropped two of them.
I'm guessing because their molds where starting to wear out too.
Sometimes you get a few badly molded pads, but not too often.
They really need to remake all of them.
Overall I like them.

Melchor
09-09-2008, 12:17
As said before, they're a bit smaller than the plastic shoulder pads but it's not TOO obvious. I used them on two of my armies now. I used them on both sides for my Dark Angels (chapter and squad designation) and on one side for my Emperor's Children and both look good.

It's a little more work on the modelling side of things, but painting is a breeze. Highly recommended!