PDA

View Full Version : Helstorm Rocket Battery

Kidjal
09-09-2008, 10:38
Why does everybody seem to think that the helstorm isnt worth taking?

I use one in my regular list and in every case it has had a game changing effect - not yet once to the negative.

Just interested in everyone elses thoughts?

Nkari
09-09-2008, 10:43
Because the chance it has to actually hit your intended target is alot lower than a mortar/cannon/hellblaster.. and since you have 2-3 turns before close combat starts, I rather like hitting the stuff I need to hit.. =)

Leogun_91
09-09-2008, 10:45
I like it but I donīt use it as I havenīt started Empire yet.

Kidjal
09-09-2008, 10:47
So are peoples opinions based on actually using it in a battle or just the maths involved?

You have a valid point on the statistics mind, just that I've found it to act differently.

I've found with a bit of applied guesswork I can often make it more accurate, (albeit, kill more stuff in a hit, and not my own men) than the mortar, and the mortar takes up one of those valuable Empire special choices. Rare choices are what? helblaster with limited range, the rockets, and the dreaded cheese tank.

Sureshot05
09-09-2008, 10:53
It reminds me a lot of fanatics in terms of table top performance. When it does well, it does amazingly well, but when it performs badly, its like dropping an a-bomb on your own lines.

I tend to prefer the Helblaster over the Helstorm, and generally I prefer to avoid filling my rares with artillery.

sulla
09-09-2008, 10:56
My DE are terrified of it. The one time in a game that it actually lands on target, it can obliterate the regiment it lands on. The damn pidgeon is much the same.

Both get plenty of harpies or magic sent their way lest the one hit per game wipes out a unit of black guard.

Condottiere
09-09-2008, 14:12
Having tried it out several times, the results are less than spectacular, even if potentially it could wipe out units. If the Dice Gods smile, it would be actually be overpowering.

vinush
09-09-2008, 19:22
I've yet to hit anything with it. Then again, I'm yet to have it blow up on me either.

In my opinion it's a somewhat expensive diversionary tactic.

\/ince

alextroy
10-09-2008, 00:11
I have found the Rocket Battery to be awesome, even though it is inaccurate. The damage it does to ranked units on a near perfect hit simply cannot be duplicated. Even off-center hits are damaging. The key is to fire it into target rich enviroments to maximize the chance to hit something.

ZeroTwentythree
10-09-2008, 00:32
You know what's even better than the HRL?

Two HRLs.

At first I was skeptical, but after I first started using them, I was hooked. Granted, they do sometimes let me down, and occasionally hit my own guys but the possibility for mass damage combined with the relatively reasonable price of two of them in an army has made me happy so far.

SplitJoin
10-09-2008, 08:53
I'll add my voice to the general sentiment here.

I always take the rocket battery in my Empire army and so far it has delivered at least one devastating attack per battle. Sure, it is wildly inaccurate so (as others have said) just empty it at a unit surrounded by other units.

In fact the inaccuracy has often worked to my advantage - in the past couple of games I've not had a hill to deploy on so I've had to target a screening unit like Skaven Slaves. I fire at them and the rockets happily sail over the slaves and land smack down into the centre of Clanrats or Stormvermin. The sheer number of casualties this weapon can cause can sometimes force a Panic test even on the massive blocks of Skaven!

Just don't fire at close range with it unless you are happy for some of those rockets to hit your own troops.

Kidjal
10-09-2008, 09:57
I'm glad other people have had some success with it and its not just me. I really like it and its flavour as a unit to play with. Sure its inaccurate, but its supposed to be! You can't plan your strategy around something that scatters like that, but neither can your opponent.

Once someones seen what these things can do they might well divert units to deal with it. That in itself is a useful thing to use.

Its great for panicking units, especially in horde armies.

DeathlessDraich
10-09-2008, 10:08
It's usually a 1 hit wonder and/or a 1 hit failure depending on your faith in the dice gods.

ChaosTicket
11-09-2008, 00:17
It's because the helstorm rocket abttery has 2 scatter rolls meaning it is probably 10-12" off target.

It sometimes can end well if the second scatter roll sends it right back on target, but it it doesn't then you could aim in at an elite enemy unit, and then just blast fodder like Zombies or Goblins.

Crazy Harborc
11-09-2008, 01:03
I enjoy the random nature of the beast. When the Helstrom modeling was available I bought one.

I had been using a standin version for 3-4 games before I had the model. It has seldom worked for me. When I push an Empire army IF I have an artillery unit, the Helstrom will likely be it.

ZeroTwentythree
11-09-2008, 05:12
It's because the helstorm rocket abttery has 2 scatter rolls meaning it is probably 10-12" off target.

That partially depends on how good you are at estimating ranges as well (which includes taking into account the initial bounce.)

vinush
11-09-2008, 06:47
Guessing ranges I'm good at.

Seeing into the future to know what scatter I'm going to get is another matter.

\/ince

EdFireborn
11-09-2008, 06:53
Its worth taking one, just so that on the off chance it works..... :o

The Red Scourge
14-09-2008, 10:20
I've only been on the receiving end of these. I've seen an entire regiment of Dark Elf spearmen vanish from the board from a single hit, and I've seen wild and useless scattering rockets. And I say they're great fun.

They can hit as hard as a Steam Tank at a lesser cost. They force your opponent to spread his troops out, so they can be isolated and destroyed.

But compared to the other rare choices of the empire, they fall just a bit short, as they can't control your opponents movement as well as the hellblaster or the stank.