PDA

View Full Version : AoBR Dread size

Vic
09-09-2008, 18:19
Just got mine today, lovely set. As Im in the office, I dont have my metal or plastic dreads on me, but this one "seems" smaller than the regular Dread. Am I a bit off in that thought? Also, I noticed that there is no quick reference card. Am I missing it or other than the one that came with WD, will I not get one with this set?

Aside from that, the models are INCREDIBLE! Well done GW. They are much simpler than the standard boxes, but lack none of the detail.

AfroCelt
09-09-2008, 18:34
I didn't get ref cards in either of the ones I bought...but they are in the back of the mini rulebook.

I can't say anything about the size though...i don't own a regular one!

wilycoyote
09-09-2008, 18:48
Hi,

Well I think its the same size, what throws you off is the missing extra exhaust.

Wilyc

Lord Damocles
09-09-2008, 19:30
Well I think its the same size, what throws you off is the missing extra exhaust.
Yeah. The odd stumpy little exhausts make the Dread look sort of squashed down to me.

Alpharius
09-09-2008, 19:38
Yeah. The odd stumpy little exhausts make the Dread look sort of squashed down to me.

I may a bit picky, but I think that makes the Dread look horrible!

I know, I know, it is just a minor detail, but it bugs me!

ChaosBeast
09-09-2008, 19:42
ive seen both the normal ones and the AoBR ones and they look pretty similar to me, apart from slightly less detail than the AoBR one.

Disciple of Caliban
09-09-2008, 20:43
They're the same size. The 'normal' dread just looks bigger because of the exhaust. Still, i dont think anyone need ever buy more than one regular dread again (just for the weapons), the AOBR is so much cheaper, and everybit as good a model, plus its so damned easy to build!!

92acclude
09-09-2008, 20:55
Think of it as a compact drop pod variant dreadnought.

boogle
09-09-2008, 21:04
Quick question, are FW and the normal Plastic Dread Arms compatible with this kit and Vice-Versa?

Yayale
09-09-2008, 21:09
I wouldn't see y not just require a bit of snipping.
I havn't got one yet as I wouldn't be able to fit it in my bag to cycle home so I didn't buy it last time i was in the store. I'm thinking of getting two, im making an ork army atm and cost wise just the orks in the box almost come to the value so sell the marines and rule book for ten fifteen quid and bargain :D

Lord Raneus
09-09-2008, 21:18
It really irritates me how the WD Termie had the peg-feet and hole-base for slotting in, but the Black Reach ones don't.

No joke; my termies in Black Reach have the peg-feet but no bases with holes...>_<

92acclude
09-09-2008, 21:26
That's easy, just located the plugs under the bases and then twist your x-acto into one of then, making a hole out of it. Ream it out till its large enough and problem solved.

boogle
09-09-2008, 21:27
that's what your knife/file is for!!

Christine
09-09-2008, 21:32
It really irritates me how the WD Termie had the peg-feet and hole-base for slotting in, but the Black Reach ones don't.

No joke; my termies in Black Reach have the peg-feet but no bases with holes...>_<

You have a point although I guess it wasn't really that hard to open the holes up was it? I would suspect that they did that to save costs (I don't blame them tho' AOBR is a blooming good value box).

Ambu
09-09-2008, 21:39
Quick question, are FW and the normal Plastic Dread Arms compatible with this kit and Vice-Versa?

Yeah other then the peg hole is smaller then the other plastic dreads. Size-wise they are very compatible. Just added the autocannon arm on mine.

Maine
09-09-2008, 21:55
I may a bit picky, but I think that makes the Dread look horrible!

I know, I know, it is just a minor detail, but it bugs me!

25 cents worth of 1/8th or 3/16th inch plasticard tubing, a drill bit, 5 minutes, and plastic glue or super glue and you'll have better looking exhaust pipes than the original non-snapfit model.

grickherder
09-09-2008, 22:25
It's also really easy to bore out the top of the exhaust tubes to take new tubing as an insert.

Lord Raneus
09-09-2008, 23:41
You have a point although I guess it wasn't really that hard to open the holes up was it? I would suspect that they did that to save costs (I don't blame them tho' AOBR is a blooming good value box).

Nah, it's just irritating, although I'm more concerned about the fact that it detracts from its value as a starter set (I didn't own an exacto knife or glue for some time after starting,) and if the point of AoBR is to be able to play with just that box, it fails a bit in this regard. It's still a wonderful, wonderful box and I'm getting at least one more. This is just a minor nitpick. :\

I really shouldn't be so picky. ^^

Lionsbane
09-09-2008, 23:48
Honestly, you don't need a modelling knife. Anything remotely pointy will poke those holes out. They are thinner than the rest of the base and pretty easy to open up.

Tommygun
09-09-2008, 23:49
25 cents worth of 1/8th or 3/16th inch plasticard tubing, a drill bit, 5 minutes, and plastic glue or super glue and you'll have better looking exhaust pipes than the original non-snapfit model.

I am planning on doing this too.

the_reaper
09-09-2008, 23:58
I just wacked a Marine Sgt banner from the tactical squad box on the top of my dread (where the smoke launchers would be), makes up for the small exhausts.

-reaper

robertsjf
10-09-2008, 00:29
Hi,

Wilyc
that and the regular dreads have the broken ground base..

HamerD
10-09-2008, 01:26
Yes they are a different size. I have 12 as my 'bodyguard dreads', lead by a normal and a forge world dread. The normal has wider breast plates, but weirdly the aobr one has a larger (or just more spread out) powerfist. Same height.

Crablezworth
10-09-2008, 02:40

I think that definitely makes them a bit taller.

Ambu
10-09-2008, 10:56

But that allows you to model the base easier then before imo. Like the 'basic base.