PDA

View Full Version : Dreadnoughts & Drop pods

rev
09-09-2008, 20:21
Can someone answer this question for me?

I've seen the drop pod pictures, with the seats for holding infantry marines, but is there an option in the kit to build it 'seatless' for deploying dreadnoughts?

If so I can't find any pics or ref's to it.

any body know if the kit comes with this kind of option?

rev

Disciple of Caliban
09-09-2008, 20:35
It does (sort of)

Basically, when building the drop pod, dont put the seats in. This leaves a gap thats perfectly sized for holding a dreadnought. I did a couple of tests with my local GWs pod to check this myself, both the AOBR and the regular dread fit just fine (they are almost identically sized so that makes sense :) )

Slaaaaaanesh
09-09-2008, 21:02
But is there room for the dreadnought to hypothetically stride out without having to side shimmy out the gaps?

Yayale
09-09-2008, 21:14
Really who cares it'll still look cool, you could always mod it a bit, might look alright with some plasticard would have to take a look at it tho

rev
09-09-2008, 21:25
Really who cares

err... obviously I care, or I wouldn't have asked....

:rolleyes:

Yayale
09-09-2008, 21:42
lol i'm sorry
But I mean it's not like you will have the dreadnought sat in the drop pod and then make it stride out...
actually!

09-09-2008, 22:34
I picture the dreadnaught doung the line dancing move to get out :D

I think thats something the designers and fluff writes never thought about :D

Khornies & milk
09-09-2008, 23:04
I'd be surprised if a Dread actually fits into the GW Drop Pod myself. If you look at the FW Dread DP the doors are a lot bigger for a start.

I'm also hoping that the internal gear can be left out...I'm sure it will be as GW would know that a lot of their DP's will be bought with the intention of using them for Dread transports.

I think that game-wise we just have to 'imagine' the Dreads are inside the DP...same as with most stuff.

Baneboss
09-09-2008, 23:29
This thread reminds me of putting 10 marines into old Rhino :P

Gorbad Ironclaw
10-09-2008, 05:47
This thread reminds me of putting 10 marines into old Rhino :P

Well, someone actually did that and put up the pictures of his conversion. They actually fitted in quite nicely.

whitewolfmxc
10-09-2008, 05:59
a link to that maybe ? XD

rev
10-09-2008, 08:42
I'm not asking if it would actually fit inside, I don't care at all about that.

If you read the original post, what I'm asking is whether anybody knows if either the internal gubbins can be left out, or if there is some provision or option in the kit to make it a drop pod for dreds rather than infantry.

thanks to all those who have answered on topic.

For those who want to debate 10 marines in a rhino, there are other threads avaiable for you to speculate in.

rev

Drakon
10-09-2008, 09:50
yes it can cater a dread and all you have to do is take out the seats. I asked the local GW boys when i was in last. They even said you can model him in it if you wish but dont expect to get it back out

MaliGn
10-09-2008, 11:53
Is it absolutely mandatory to make the Drop Pod so the doors actually open?

If not build it glued closed with none of the gubbins inside it, and thne use it all to build terrain. This way your Drop Pod is suitable for either Dreads or Marines plus you've got some snazzy basing stuff.

ChrisMurray
10-09-2008, 12:57
I would guess that it might fit if you take the seats out but I doubt that GW actually designed it to work this way as the FW Dread drop pod looks alot different to the inf one, and is shaped to fit a dread comfortbly inside and allow easy entry\exit.

PondaNagura
10-09-2008, 15:58
just take the seats and the gun sponson out. also who's to say a dreadnought might not just smash his way out of the drop pod...

Adra
10-09-2008, 17:58
Young man, suspend disbelief.

g0ddy
10-09-2008, 19:23
The FW Dreadnought pod is slightly larger than the normal one (but keep in mind the normal FW pod only seats 5 marines) and it also only.. (IIRC) has 3 doors instead of 5.

I already own 2 of the FW 5man marine pods... I intend to close them up and use them for dreadnoughts, with the larger/plastic pods for marines.

~zilla