PDA

View Full Version : Chaos codex changes?

maelstrom66669
10-09-2008, 06:18
i ordered the newer(newest currently available) chaos marines codex, and im still waiting on it to ship, i was wondering if there were any big changes since the last one, specifically to khorne armies?

Preston
10-09-2008, 06:47
Icon of Khorne gives a unit mark of Khorne, but if icon bearer dies then benefit is lost.

No exception on what units can take the icon (other then Oblits which cannot be marked, vehicles, and Sorcerers [duh]). Meaning you can have Khornate raptors, bikers, havocs (but why?), chosen, termis, etc. However, they aren't beserkers.

Beserkers are a troops choice, which means they can take and hold objectives when they aren't killing things, and they have Furious Charge, but no "OMG I HAVE TO CHASE THAT!!!!" rule.

off the top of my head that's about all I can think of.

Eulenspiegel
10-09-2008, 06:52
Khorne armies being actually playable now, that was a big change :D

Ambu
10-09-2008, 10:53
You can take opposed chaos god troops now and the other two aren't at the cost of an elite slot on the org chart

Bregalad
10-09-2008, 10:56
The 4th and 3rd edition CSM Codices are very different and not comparable. The 4th edition Codex is much simpler with less options, esp with only generic daemons. God-specific rules have been reduced the most. So be prepared for a completely different set of rules and CSM armies.

Nero
10-09-2008, 11:08
No more chainaxes, Bloodthirsters or Bloodletters, for a start. The only Khorne units are power-armored Berzerkers (who have no rules for chainaxes), but everything else can have a 'Khorne stick', which gives them +1 attack (yes, that's it) until it's weilder is killed.

Lord Damocles
10-09-2008, 11:27
Oh no! It's all starting again!

-Runs off to get popcorn-

TzeentchForPresident
10-09-2008, 11:35
And you can have 2 Daemon Princes that by default are immune to instant death and if you want to be really cheesy you give them mark of Slaanesh and buy the psychic power "Lash of Submission" that allows to move a enemy unit. The CSM army now have 0 defence vs psychic attacks.
There is no retinue anymore. There is no Chaos Lieutenant anymore. You can still buy a daemon weapon but what kind depends on the mark of the Lord. The Khorne one stuns the Lord 11 times of 36 with a chanse to wound him.
You can take Vindicators. Raptors are the same as Assault Marines now. Ordinary CSM got cheaper since got grenades and one additional weapon for free. Terminators are much cheaper. Possessed got a bit more expensive and canīt be customized, however they got a random ability you will know AFTER you deployed. Spawns are a "new" unit, fast, non-scoring, expensive that always moves towards nearest enemy unit it can see. Defilers can no longer fire indirectly, got fleet, lowered BS but have WS 3.
There is no mutated hull anymore so they have AV 12 at most.
Dreadnoughts can shoot at their own side again. Cult troops got a population explosion since they are troop choises now instead of elites. Plaguemarines have FNP. 1000 sons AP3 bolters.

To sum it up , at least the same power, less choises, more Space Marine like.

samiens
10-09-2008, 11:55
Oh, it doesn't take an entire day to use the codex anymore!

Its all pretty much been covered- only bezerkers are fully khornate- but they are much more usable, otherwise you fill out on icons of khorne which give units an extra attack while the bearer is alive, some people dislike this as not khorne enough (i for my nurgle army didn't care, nurgle terminators and terminators with an icon of nurgle are similar enough for me)

So basically, its much more maleable and less restricted and works with far less special rules

AdmiralDick
10-09-2008, 11:56
people have covered a lot of the detailed differences between 3.5 and 4th. they are essentially two very different armies that work in quite drastically different ways, but share some stylistic details.

as Bregalad points out, the latest codex is not really a development of the previous one. it is, in truth, a development of the codex prior to that, i.e. the much thinner brown codex released shortly after 3rd. it drops much of the theme and style of 3.5, and picks up a lot of the game mechanics that were dropped back in 3rd. its a pretty good book if you see it in that light.

DhaosAndy
10-09-2008, 12:44
Personally I've stopped trying to make legion army with the 4.0 dex, it's just too irritating, I just use the units that are still usable in warbands (call me old fashioned but I'm still of the view that all WE are berzerkers).