PDA

View Full Version : ogres as zombies, here me out.

studderigdave
10-09-2008, 18:48
i got a friend who is making a VC army, and he wants to use ogres as zombies. the 40mm base would be the same as four 20mm bases, so effectivly each ogre "zombie" would have 4 wounds and a frontage of 3 ogres would be the same as 6 zombies. there would be no musicians or standards to confuse anything.

would you have a problem with this? basiclly he has alot of spare ogres, not alot of money and the current zombie models are not that great.

grumbaki
10-09-2008, 19:52
Actually, I would. It is just too confusing. What happens when you lose a zombie? The models stay the same, and it is too easy to forget how many 'wounds' each ogre has. Also, it makes it impossible to reform.

In a friendly game, I might allow it if my opponent A) converted the ogres B) he had a system in place to show how many zombies are left and C) he knows and understand that reforming will be nearly impossible.

If all three are met, then I'd probably just go with it. Otherwise, no.

kairous
10-09-2008, 19:55
hmm, i would probably say use them as rare choices, because their mercenaries, right, just paint them like zombies to keep the theme.

gorenut
10-09-2008, 20:00
Yeaaa.. I dunno about that. I can see them maybe replacing the second and third rank in a 4+ rank squad. It'd be too strange to do casualties. You have to somehow still figure out on how you are going to take away casualties. IN which case, you probably still need to surround the ogres with atleast 2 ranks of actual zombie sized models. I've seen people do decorative squads this way.

I would go with the other suggestion.. use them as DoW Ogres. They're bloated ghouls of old (as I still think Ghouls should be alive).

utrotaren
10-09-2008, 20:14
1: Make 40 "normal" zombies
2: Make Xst ogre zombies

Put "ogres" in zombie group. And now when a ogre gets a wound he exploeds in a spectacular fashion and 3 "new" zombies is created. (They are whats left of his food adventure in life).

Works really good and put a flawor to the zombie regement. And not confusing.

sigur
10-09-2008, 20:18
A 40mm base has nothing to do in a unit that consists or should consist of miniatures based on 20mm bases. If he wants to play a VC army, he should live with the consequences, as bad as it sounds.

Darnok
10-09-2008, 20:23
i got a friend who is making a VC army, and he wants to use ogres as zombies.

I do exactly that, but only as a unit filler. Have a look at my plog to get an impression (see the link in my signature).

I do however think that a full unit of ogre zombies wouldn't work. Zombies come on 20x20 bases, and even though you can use one or two ogresized models in a unit, for stuff like close combat you need to know exactly where individual models begin and end.

Gazak Blacktoof
10-09-2008, 21:49
I agree with the sentiments expressed so far. Ogres are fine as unit fillers (counting as 4 wounds) so that you don't need quite so many zombie models, but its not really practical to have an entire unit of them.

zak
10-09-2008, 21:56
Far too confusing. I wouldn't mind them as unit fillers but not as an entire unit.

Zoolander
10-09-2008, 22:04
You should not use proxies unless the base size matches - it is entirely too confusing, and there are multiple problems, as mentioned, like when an "ogre" loses a wound. There are plenty of times in the game where you narrowly miss a unit or narrowly clip a unit. Giving an "ogre" a wound to reflect a killed zombie is just ... wrong, and fails to take into account said problems. The zombie models are cheap and have great poses - if you don't like them use something else, but keep the base sizes the same for everyone's sanity!

studderigdave
11-09-2008, 00:49
ill let him know about the unit fillers. how many ogres would be of for a unit of 25 zombies, 2-3?

Ozorik
11-09-2008, 00:54
Its doesnt really matter as long as there is enough zombies to be an obvious zombie unit and to cope with wounds easily enough. In fairness 3 zombies is enough for me but Im much more relaxed about such things than most people.

3 is a probably a decent compromise as there will still be 10 zombies kicking about and the ogres wont be too overwhelming.

Ethlorien
11-09-2008, 01:30
I think that's a pretty cool idea actually. I think as unit fillers, for certain. As an entire unit? I don't really have a problem with that either. Could look pretty cool on the battlefield and what's a little more bookkeeping...

pox
11-09-2008, 07:01
have the front rank and back rank zombie gnoblars. that way you can change wounds like a normal unit, your opponent wont be confused, you can keep command models, and its still in the theme of ogre because they're gnoblars. it would work just like using rank bases.

Lordsaradain
11-09-2008, 09:22
I'd use ogres as unit fillers in a regiment of zombies, but I wouldn't use only ogres, I'd need some normal zombie models too, so I'd be able to remove casualties properly.

Griefbringer
11-09-2008, 10:08
A 40mm base has nothing to do in a unit that consists or should consist of miniatures based on 20mm bases.

What about 80x20 mm regimental bases in a unit of models with 20x20 mm bases?

Both 80x20 mm and 40x40 mm bases are equivalent to 4 models on 20x20 mm bases.

Kerill
11-09-2008, 10:12
As unit fillers- fine (I've seen a few zombie regiments which have been nothing but fences, outbuildings and gravestones from the zombie sprue as well :) for the whole unit I think it would maybe be confusing and removing casualties would be a pain.

bork da basher
11-09-2008, 10:36
if your regular opponants are cool with it and willing to deal with the complications that will occur then thats fine but if you put it down on the table playing me i wouldnt be happy at all.

Duke Georgal
11-09-2008, 11:27
If fully painted and converted to obviusly be zomboid undead ogres there should not be a problem. Otherwise, if they are just painted with green skin then it would be far too confusing.

It would take a lot of work to make it right.

The Clairvoyant
11-09-2008, 14:14
No problem at all.

Its no different from using regiment bases 4 models wide. Just stick some dice next to the unit so i know how many zombies are actually there and i'm happy.

Kronos
11-09-2008, 15:46
i prefer the idea of using them as unit fillers, apart from being more practical it is also more visually appealing. Hoever using some sort of wound counters would also be good if your friend already has his heart set on a unit of zombie ogres.

Also i think a unit of flesh golems (zombie ogres/minotaurs etc) would have been quite good as a unit in the vc book without anyminitures but just for conversions imo.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
11-09-2008, 16:07
i got a friend who is making a VC army, and he wants to use ogres as zombies. the 40mm base would be the same as four 20mm bases, so effectivly each ogre "zombie" would have 4 wounds and a frontage of 3 ogres would be the same as 6 zombies. there would be no musicians or standards to confuse anything.

would you have a problem with this? basiclly he has alot of spare ogres, not alot of money and the current zombie models are not that great.

I don't like the idea, but I wouldn't have "a problem" with it either. My main concern is that it would get confusing with wounds, summoning, etc. I also just don't think it would look as good. The whole point of Zombies is the overwhelming horde, not a smaller group of big Ogres. That is purely an aesthetic complaint, but I think it is valid considering aesthetics are an important part of this game.

Having said that, I have to dispute the claim that the current zombie models being bad is a reason not to make "normal" Zombies. Zombies are one of the most awesome opportunities for conversions in all of GW's armies/products. I personally did 50/50 Empire Militia and Zombies, and they turned out fabulous. Just about any 20mm infantry sprue combined with even a slight bit of imagination would work well for Zombies.

logan054
11-09-2008, 22:55

You could always use them as unit fillers, would be alot easier to keep track off.