PDA

View Full Version : Whats the least seen GW Space Marine Chapter?

Sir Phobos
11-09-2008, 21:19
Hello,

I was just wondering what you guys/gals thought was the least seen SM chapter that has been endorsed by GW, ie. Space Sharks, Rainbow Warriors, Lamenters, etc... I know it will very depending on the are but just was curious what people thought.

Thanks,

Culven
11-09-2008, 21:31
I have never seen a chapter of any of those, so I guess they all qualify. There are too many chapters mentioned in fluff which many players have probably never seen, so this is a difficult question to answer. Pretty much any chapter without a codex or army list will be rarely seen for a variety of reasons.

PondaNagura
11-09-2008, 23:51
http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/chapter-gallery/1/
on that first page
black wings, angels of fire, Angels Porphyr

Takitron
12-09-2008, 04:09
Hello,

I was just wondering what you guys/gals thought was the least seen SM chapter that has been endorsed by GW, ie. Space Sharks, Rainbow Warriors, Lamenters, etc... I know it will very depending on the are but just was curious what people thought.

Thanks,

Well Thanks to the guys over at Bell of Lost Souls, we'll see more Space Sharks

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2008/09/space-sharks-logo-sheet.html

backslide
12-09-2008, 05:27
pretty good reasons why Space Sharks and Rainbow Warriors arn't played right, say the sentence:

"look at my new Space Sharks/Rainbow Warriors army"

in front of people and look at there faces...

Elbows of Death
12-09-2008, 06:31
I'm a huge fan of the Mentor Legion, and I was shocked to see it in a recent book (I cant recall which). Having seen old Rogue Trader rules for them...back when they'd detail new chapters quite often, I miss them.

They had some great fluff...involving Cadre etc...and a great special wargear item which allowed units to stack a +1 strength modifier onto a Bolter....because the squad could fire their bolters in unison at a pin-point target using special targeters. This meant a squad of 5 could combine bolters into a Lascannon to deal with tanks/Avatars etc.

Cool army...if I ever did Marines, I'd try to do a Mentor Legion one...even though no rules exist. Great colour scheme too - though it looks like they changer their icon from the sharp-nosed owl-beak of old.

vinush
12-09-2008, 06:47
I saw Nova marines outside of a codex/wd/rulebook for the first time the other week.

\/ince

alex03
12-09-2008, 07:04
Funny! I was going to say the Rainbow Warriors too! I remember them from rogue trader era days. Didnt they paint peace signs and crap like that on their armor?

march10k
12-09-2008, 07:24
I'd say White Consuls...imagine trying to paint an entire army of glistening skull white power armor? The occasional apothecary's hard enough!

Legion
12-09-2008, 08:14
Least seen space marines .... Gotta be the "Stealth Marines"

Failing that I was quite partial to the Executioners and the Fire hawks, don't think I've seen a Nova marines army.

Shadowheart
12-09-2008, 08:37
You'd probably have more success approaching this from the other end - look at what Chapters that have been done more than once and/or have gotten prominent coverage somewhere. Everything that's left over is obscure.

The Angels Porphyr are my Chapter of choice, although I might never get around to painting more than the one Marine.

Poseidal
12-09-2008, 09:11
Funny! I was going to say the Rainbow Warriors too! I remember them from rogue trader era days. Didnt they paint peace signs and crap like that on their armour?
Weren't Rainbow Warriors one of the original 'first founding' chapters and the Ultramarines were one of their successors (along with the other 'colour' marines)?

Burning Star IV
12-09-2008, 09:17
Hey, its Aurora. I've always liked those guys. Had I not forgotten them, I woulda painted my marines as such. Well, I've got too many done by now. Oh well.

Whitehorn
12-09-2008, 09:40
Any of the dozens that have only been in a gallery as an example paint job.

Most the above have at least some background which makes them 'more seen'.

I'd say White Consuls...imagine trying to paint an entire army of glistening skull white power armor? The occasional apothecary's hard enough!

That's assuming the rest of us approach painting white badly. We don't.

librerian_samae
12-09-2008, 10:23
I occasionaly run a scout heavy lamenters army, which is going to be seeing a lot more play time when the new marine dex hits.

on average the army has only about 15 to 15 power armour marines with the rest being scouts.
Actual performes rather well.

Culven
12-09-2008, 11:49
OF all of the Chapters mentioned somewhere, I have to say that the one I have never heard anyone express even the slightest interest in would be the Christmas Marines. For most other chapters I have seen at least one marine representing them. Then again, I do have 70+ chapters represented in my Deathwatch army, so maybe I have an unfair advantage. ;)

Souleater
12-09-2008, 11:54
Star Leopards...showed up once, got their LR 'jacked by a bunch of Harliequins...never heard from again.

...but they knew they could not all be stopped!

Jos
12-09-2008, 12:27
That Rainbow warriors turns up so much would prove that thesis wron I say! I'd say the coverd marines I have seen the least (that I can think of) is the mortificators

nazrag
12-09-2008, 12:29
I was going to say Ultramarines...then I changed my mind :angel:

Angelus Mortis
12-09-2008, 15:38
I would say Death Chickens (they have a gene mutation and wound up with an odd trait "and they shall know fear") closely followed by Imperial Thighs (they do a lot of squats, and I dont mean space midgets).

Whitehorn
12-09-2008, 15:58
Actually, you're all wrong.

Legio II and Legio XI

None of us have seen them!

Sister_Sin
12-09-2008, 18:10
LOL Good one.

But of those whose names are written...hmmm..Star Leopards, Star Phantoms perhaps. I don't recall seeing those anywhere except by name in the Compendium...I think that was the one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've certainly never seen an army of them.

Sister Sin

FunkyRatDemon
12-09-2008, 19:51
My Doom Eagles have had their paint-scheme changed 2x since the 3rd Ed. SM codex... :(

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
12-09-2008, 20:02
pretty good reasons why Space Sharks and Rainbow Warriors arn't played...

Are y'all kidding me? Space Sharks are badass! Among my favorite things in 40k, period.

Rainbow Warriors were the Aztec-esque ones, no? I know people have done them as such, but I can't remember the official angle.

As for least seen, it's probably the Fiery Loins. ;)

ulric42
12-09-2008, 21:30
i have seen a lamentors chapter and a rainbow warriors chapter so i'd have 2 go with space sharks

:)

Lord_Squinty
13-09-2008, 01:08
Rainbow Warriors:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Rainbow_Warriors

Space Sharks:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Sharks

Never seen either used, but I would think Rainbow Warriors were least used.

EDIT
I notice theyve changed the original Space Sharks insignia (original can be seen beside the mini) - not a bad thing...

Aurellis
13-09-2008, 01:11
Rainbow Warriors:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Rainbow_Warriors

Space Sharks:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_Sharks

Never seen either used, but I would think Rainbow Warriors were least used.

EDIT
I notice theyve changed the original Space Sharks insignia - not a bad thing...

I have both a Rainbow Warrior and a Space Shark in my Deathwatch, the Space Shark shoulder pad looks really good on the Deathwatch models.

Sorry to be a party pooper and all... ;)

Angelus Mortis
13-09-2008, 02:51
Actually, you're all wrong.

Legio II and Legio XI

None of us have seen them!

Touche'. :cool:

vampires are cool!
13-09-2008, 03:00
Well with the advent of the new marine 'dex i think i shall begin a Space Sharks army. Yay me!

Adra
13-09-2008, 03:19
I know which one gets the least attention in comparison to its importance....Raven Guard. Poor guys are first founding and never get a look in. Awww bless their little super power hearts. I love you Raven Guard!!!!! Im gonna go write some goth poems about Raven Guard and how i love them and how me and Corax are gonna be best friends and hang out and write poems together and get sad about Raven Guard together and we will call my shed "The Raven's Tower" and we will dress up like ravens and go into the woods at night and say poems about Raven Guard and how much me and Corax love each other and touch each other and....

...*cough*...um...sorry where was I? Oh yes. More Raven Guard please.