PDA

View Full Version : My Opinion: Dawn of War should be played on the Short Edges

Toogeloo
12-09-2008, 06:24
With the deployment being so large, and then the forcing of your opponent to deploy 18 inches away, I think the Short Edges should have been the deployment zones. Make the deployment 36 inches in instead. I also think they should have made it a variable Night Fighting length D6 turns.

Just my opinion.

march10k
12-09-2008, 07:43
Wanting a tiny deployment zone suggests to me that you want to plop models on the board and start shooting. There's actually a lot of strategy that goes into where you put which models, and cutting the deployment zone in half pretty much eliminates any options. You just have to line them up cheek to cheek at that point. Can you imagine trying to deploy a horde army on the short edge? I could do just fine with three land raiders (with terminators inside), but what about my IG? I can easily field 155 guardsmen in a 1500 point army...where am I going to put all those models?

The D6 night fight turns is interesting, though...

Toogeloo
12-09-2008, 08:32
How is a 3x4 section of the board smaller than a 6x2? At least this way, you wouldn't be forced to play at the edge of the table if you lost 1st turn/deployment.

Grimtuff
12-09-2008, 09:05
Wanting a tiny deployment zone suggests to me that you want to plop models on the board and start shooting. There's actually a lot of strategy that goes into where you put which models, and cutting the deployment zone in half pretty much eliminates any options. You just have to line them up cheek to cheek at that point. Can you imagine trying to deploy a horde army on the short edge? I could do just fine with three land raiders (with terminators inside), but what about my IG? I can easily field 155 guardsmen in a 1500 point army...where am I going to put all those models?

The D6 night fight turns is interesting, though...

Erm, have you read the rules for DOW? You only deploy up to 1 HQ and 2 Troops. The rest is in reserve.

All one has to do is plonk a squd in the middle of the battlefield and you restrict your opponent's deployment zone by a stupid amount (their deployment zone effectivley becomes 6"). Now play this along the short edges and that stupid "tactic" is nuetered significantly.

Znail
12-09-2008, 09:24
Erm, have you read the rules for DOW? You only deploy up to 1 HQ and 2 Troops. The rest is in reserve.

All one has to do is plonk a squd in the middle of the battlefield and you restrict your opponent's deployment zone by a stupid amount (their deployment zone effectivley becomes 6"). Now play this along the short edges and that stupid "tactic" is nuetered significantly.

It would be a stupidly long run from the short edge to the other short edge thou. There realy isnt a problem as you can always just skip deploying anything and walk on with your army on your first turn.

IJW
12-09-2008, 09:27
It would be a stupidly long run from the short edge to the other short edge thou.
++ This would give an artificial bonus to mech armies and other army lists with lots of mobile troops.

Bloodknight
12-09-2008, 09:35
The problem with this is that on a standard 4x6" board, a close combat army will lose to a shooty army every time. They have to cover a lot more ground while getting shot at, and the already deployed units either have to hide and wait or you arrive in two waves, with at least one turn between them, sometimes two. That means the enemy just fights off the 1st wave with his whole army and can then concentrate on the 2nd wave. This already works most of the time over the long edges, playing over the short ones would only exacerbate that problem. And I say that as an IG player.

Of course the deployment zone gets ridiculously small, but then you only field 3 units. Who needs more space for that? In yesterday's 1500 pt game the only problem I had was moving all my stuff in because the board edge wasn't wide enough.
I played against Orks who went first. As an IG player, I could deploy my HQ choice - command squad, 2 lascannon squads, mortar squad - , and two units from the Troops allowance - a command unit with 4 grenade launchers and a unit of 20 conscripts with 2 grenade launchers. The combined fire of these units plus the two Leman Russ tanks which moved in killed over 40 Orks and a Kan on the first turn. 2nd turn the Orks initiated CC with their left boyz, made a bit of my stuff run away, then got killed. The 2nd wave, which had to move in, arrived two turns later. Needless to say, the Orks got slaughtered to a man over the course of the game since I got two full turns to fire with the rest of my army which came in on my first turn. And that was with the first wave only about 20" away.
Now imagine the 1st wave would have had to run 30" instead of 18, and the 2nd wave 66" instead of 42" to get to me, playing over the short edges.
Even if the Orks had deployed nothing and walked in with the whole army, I still would have got 4 full turns of shooting.

Toogeloo
12-09-2008, 16:49
I might not have communicated my thought very well. Deployment would be in the short board, but players still play off of a long edge. Think similar to Spearhead. You are deploying in a corner but still bring reserves off of your long board. So crossing the whole board isn't as dramatic as the sound of it intended. Also, don't forget that Night Fighting would be variable in length instead of just one turn. Shooty armies would not get as big a benefit as you all seem to believe.

zoodog
12-09-2008, 17:44
Toogeloo at that point you should just play table quarters

totgeboren
12-09-2008, 18:28
I think a much easier and fairer fix for the "deployment-abuse" is to just say 'the player deploying first may not place any units within 12" of the center of the table.'

Done and done.

zoodog
12-09-2008, 22:15
I would be more inclined to go with 6" but then most of the time there is nothing particularly special about the exact center of the table so why chose that rather then the table edges