PDA

View Full Version : Where did all the "real" Tyranids go?

Chaos Warlord
12-09-2008, 11:38
I remember a time when tyranids still were purple/bluish, and being fed with this view of the tyranids for many years, i find the new colurations of the tyranids disturbing and non-true.. all i see nowdays are red, white, green??! and all kinds of wierd colurations on the beloved organisms.. i really can't see tyranids any other colur than that old-school purple/bluish.. all you old veterans out there knows what im saying!

http://r.vinot.free.fr/spacehulk/images/logo.png this is one of the few pictures that still shows how "real" tyranids looks like, wich makes me a bit sad..

is there anyone out there who still runs a "old school" scheme on their tyranids?

/Chaos warlord Asavar Warpaxe - "Your weak god cannot help you now."

IJW
12-09-2008, 12:00
It was only Genestealers that were purple and blue - Zoats were almost always green, and the Tyranid Warriors of the time (Advanced Space Crusade) were painted up in red with yellow/white carapace.

Brimstone
12-09-2008, 12:05
is there anyone out there who still runs a "old school" scheme on their tyranids?

Of course :cool:

Nothing wrong with the new they represent newer hive fleets but I prefer the original.

Spektre
12-09-2008, 12:36
I think if I ever made a Tyranid army I would make them look like the guys from the move Aliens

mchmr6677
12-09-2008, 13:50
I think if I ever made a Tyranid army I would make them look like the guys from the move Aliens

I have the combo for this, black basecoat, codex grey on the carapace, black wash over the grey, red eyes, and multiple layers of gloss varnish.

Lungboy
12-09-2008, 13:54
The "proper" purple/blue scheme was for Stealers when they had nothing to do with Tyranids. As IJW says, the first appearance of Tyranid Warriors had them as mostly red rather than the purple/blue scheme. My Fleet is my own scheme, and i feel that it is in no way less "real" because of it.

ChrisMurray
12-09-2008, 14:02
I always assumed that their colour was dictated by the bio mass they were madeout of-ie on a jungle world they'd be more green\earthy colours whilst a dessert world they'd be sandy\rocky colours. They're orginal colours of the first hive fleets would have been due to what they'd consumed in a previous galaxy.

@Brimstone: Those look amazing!

Spektre
12-09-2008, 14:05
I have the combo for this, black basecoat, codex grey on the carapace, black wash over the grey, red eyes, and multiple layers of gloss varnish.

I like this I am definately saving that for after I finish my Tau army

IJW
12-09-2008, 14:14
I finally tracked down some shots of my 'hybrid'-colour Carnifex:

http://azurevision.co.uk/warseer/tyranid-fex-1sted-2.jpg

http://azurevision.co.uk/warseer/tyranid-fex-1sted-5.jpg

http://azurevision.co.uk/warseer/tyranid-fex-1sted-6.jpg

Souleater
12-09-2008, 14:16
When I first did my Nids in 2nd Ed I painted each type of creature a different colour - yellow and orange Stealers, Red Warriors, Blue Tyrants...yes it did look as awful and stupid as it sounds :(

When third ed rolled around I decided to do my Nids differently.

And lo and behold once I'd painted my dark eldar and Sisters a mere one and a bit editions later I painted them in a more cohesive scheme.

I paint my Nid flesh purple and my carapaces a very dark blue/black because those were the original Genestealer colours - and Stealers are what got me into playing Nids.

Chaos Warlord
12-09-2008, 14:23
I do remember that one of the first editions of tyranid warriors carrying swords and claws - those long slinky ones, more resemblence to a large ant than a "real" tyranid, had that horrible red coluration, however the later edition, possibly 3:d ed or 4:th? had the "classic old school" purple-bluish, aswell as tyrant and carnifex, biovore etc.. so being restricted to stealers alone, is not entirely true...
oh beloved screamer-killer! - where did that nickname go? i rarely hear it nowdays anyways?

Chaos Warlord
12-09-2008, 14:35
Souleater & Brimstone , please send some pictures of your "classic" painted nids!, i & i belive a few others whuld love to see them! =)

perhaps even some new ed stealers?

oh, and Brimstone!, it makes a old tyranid-infested heart good to see the classic purple/blueish in use still!

keep up the good works (or good consuming of other organisms that is) ;-)

The Clairvoyant
12-09-2008, 14:46
i still have my tyranid army from 2nd ed. When i get back to re-building that army, it'll be in the classic colours, and hopefully all old models. I need to try and get hold of some of the old zoanthropes and biovores though as i never had any of those. And I never managed to get hold of a screamer killer either so hopefully i'll grab a couple on ebay one day.

I have plenty of the old plastic warriors with long boneswords and claws (and some with the big green blob that was the deathspitter), plus a couple of conversions for those holding venom cannons and barbed stranglers converted from spare hive tyrant weapons.

My lictors are blue and for my hive tyrants one is purple and black and the other is red and purple
Genestealers are purple and blue (as they should be) and the hormagaunts and termagants are red. Most of my termagants have the...oh god i've forgotten what they're called...ummm... the little guns. and some have the webspinner guns (can't remember the name of those either!)

I loved the old models. It was quite a shame when i came back to look at 40k 10 years later and found every model had been replaced :(

Tags
12-09-2008, 15:21

Seconded, in fact I almost, did.

BlackViper
12-09-2008, 15:24
ME ME ME!

Thank GOD someone else thinks like me. I've got an oldskool colourscheme for my 'nids.

Granted, I've only actually got around to painting 6 'stealers and a couple of bits of terrain out of my 3000+ points, but it's a start!

Darnok
12-09-2008, 15:29

This would then be "lotsa colours, plus even more of 'em". When Genestealers were blue/purple, the rest of the Nids were painted in all colours available. "Colourful" is a big understatement (http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/mediawiki/images/3/32/Codex_Tyraniden_Cover_1.jpg). So in a way, any unified colourscheme is against the "old ways", but definetely not using more colours than blue/purple.

sigur
12-09-2008, 15:41
Oh no, just when I thought I could get over the terrible things GW has done in 1998 to 2002, 3rd edition strikes back in a new form. Now the people who started back then are coming up, claiming that what GW did back then is the real and pure lore of how to do things and that it is actually "old school" just because they don't know it any better.

Whitehorn
12-09-2008, 16:11
I think the problem is that they consume DNA. They obviously assimilated our poor fashion sense.

Koryphaus
12-09-2008, 16:17
I think the problem is that they consume DNA. They obviously assimilated our poor fashion sense.

Thank god they started assimilating our DNA after the 80's yellow shorts era was mostly over.. We only got the end of the garishly bright colours phase..

Well, I certainly remember blue and purple 3rd Ed Tyranids from the 3rd Ed rulebook, which is when I got into 40k, but I have seen plenty of art and paintjobs depicting Tyranids in all manner of colours (eg, the Space Hulk box artwork depicting the Tyranid Warrior on the fron, lots of pictures of Screamer-Killers etc).

My Dad started Tyranids when I started 40k, his Nids have always been Red Gore armour and Hawk Turquoise skin. Never much in the way of purple there.

BlackViper
12-09-2008, 16:30
Sorry, I think I must have said some inflamatory without intending to.

I personally have no objection to any colourschemes invented post 3rd ed - I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the schemes started to vary by fleet, allowing for some diversity in 'nid armies. A lot of them look great, I just thought it was a shame that you don't see any of the originals anymore. Hence when I started building my own army, that's what I opted for.

Just to clarify. ;-)

Dictator
12-09-2008, 16:39
No offense this thread, like many other threads I have seen as of late, confound me. Why complain about how the scheme is? The scheme you are talking aobut for the stealers was made during a time when they were not connected to tyranids, let alone fleshed out as a species. I like both old and new schemes. The reason why there are new schemes is because there are new hive fleets. Yep.

Darnok
12-09-2008, 16:50
Why complain about how the scheme is?

Because GW might send their witchhunter squads after you, if you don't paint your models the "real way". ;)

Bregalad
12-09-2008, 22:52
I played Tyranids in 2nd edition and even then disliked the official bright barbie world colours. I painted them dark brown to resemble Aliens but was not happy with that painting scheme either and quit. Only last year, when I found a painting scheme that I liked, I started them again (see link in sig).
So I am a Tyranid veteran disliking the original painting schemes.

HsojVvad
13-09-2008, 01:11

It has already been done. Sorry I don't have the link. Someone made the Tyranids into Alien coloursn and with green stuff shaped their heads into Aliens as well.

Try WarpShadow.com there might be a link there to it.

Phyros
13-09-2008, 05:09
Here's my photobucket link.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Phyros26/Kraken/

Putty
13-09-2008, 05:19
old or new colour schemes don't mean anything for tyranids

in practice, on the table, they still beat them down the same.

furthermore, nids are always evolving.

today they are red/blue tomorrow they will be pink/purple.

so who is really keeping track?

tsutek
13-09-2008, 09:16
Well, all my 40k forces are based on my obsession with 1st ed Space Hulk. So my termies are BA (and with AoBR, I finally have two squads!), and my stealers are blue and purple.

The rest of my nids are custom schemes, however. I wanted to do a 'colourful' nid army, but felt that I'd try to go for a more 'Bollywood' flavoured colours overall than what the 'klassik old-school' schemes were. So I've got black, brownish tones, dark green, blue, purple, 'natural white'..

HsojVvad
13-09-2008, 09:22
It makes you sad? Why? If the Tyranids hadn't changed, then people will be saying that Tyranids, are stale, and how come they don't change?

I guess the saying is true, you can't make everyone happy, someone will always find something to complain about. Maybe the 'Nids should have gone the way of the Squats for you then, and been canceled instead of evolving.

Sorry to hear about your opnion, but I love the new models, I think they are so much better then previously, but then that is my Opnion.

What is wrong with you making your army the way you want it? Just because we like ours with different colours, that is wrong? Maybe I misinterpeted your post. I love the way everyones 'Nids are different.

LittleLeadMen
13-09-2008, 13:00
I remember a time when tyranids still were purple/bluish, and being fed with this view of the tyranids for many years, i find the new colurations of the tyranids disturbing and non-true.. all i see nowdays are red, white, green??! and all kinds of wierd colurations on the beloved organisms.. i really can't see tyranids any other colur than that old-school purple/bluish.. all you old veterans out there knows what im saying!

But yours is a case of selective memory. First of all, only the genestealers themselves were initially presented as purple/blue. Even in the early release of Tyranid Attack (1992), the box set present tyranid warriors in alternate color schemes, including red and white (which you questioned). It also has them in yellow.

Ghudra
13-09-2008, 14:19
.. i really can't see tyranids any other colur than that old-school purple/bluish.. all you old veterans out there knows what im saying!

I'm baffled.

-Original WD 145 Tyranid list = red nids.
-2nd ed Codex = red nids.
-Epic Hive Fleet = red nids.

How new is your old-school?:p

Heck, even the old Genestealers in the McVey diorama were both green/brown and blue/purple, although the blue/purple won out in all the color art.

Lion El Jason
13-09-2008, 14:58
Where did all the "real" Tyranids go?

Eaten by squats?

neXus6
13-09-2008, 15:10
I do feel GW have failed to come up with any good colour schemes for the recent couple of editions of Nid stuff, that said I have seen lots of player schemes that have been brilliant.

Please don't remind me of the original Nid sceme though...that awful red and off white nightmare. The Stealers from Space Hulk looked awesome but the 40k Nid schemes were pretty poor too, it's like GW have never really known what to do with them. :D

Where did all the "real" Tyranids go?

Eaten by squats?
:p
Brilliant.

0ld1eye
13-09-2008, 16:23
My tyranids are blue and purple :angel:

Mind you, it's a sort of... postmodern blue and purple, stylish, eye-catching and sexy, because my tyranids are all young and cool and they take drugs and rave to heavy electronic music and flashing coloured lights after a hard day of eating their way through the civilisations of this oh-so-delicious galaxy.

Angelwing
13-09-2008, 18:09
No, I don't do the old school colour scheme for my nids, but I do have old school models.

I deliberately chose a wildly different colour scheme from the 2nd ed codex stuff purely to be different!

CassiusDraconis
13-09-2008, 19:16
Saw some tyranids that I guy had painted up with a brownish black roach like pattern. They were really cool looking, but incredibly creepy.

leonmallett
13-09-2008, 19:44
If I remember rightly, the original first edition Gaunts (Hunter-Slayers) wre bone/off-white in colour. Add that to Zoats in Green, Genestealers in blue and purple, and the first Warriors in red and the fact is there has never been a set "real" colour scheme.

HsojVvad
14-09-2008, 18:59

found it, here is the link

http://www.timkline.net/alienids/ go to pics to see them. This guy did an awsome job.