PDA

View Full Version : Chaos ogre outfit?

skank
12-09-2008, 14:30
What do you think will be the common setups for the new chaos ogres, assuming they are as the rumours would have us believe?

I wish to know as i will be putting together some ogre convertions in time for the release.

I was thinking khornate with greatweapons and nurgle with handweapon+shield will be popular...

Cheers

Valaraukar
12-09-2008, 14:39
Do we know if shields are an option? I know they will come with chaos armour (according to rumours at least) but 2+ save ogres seems unlikely to me.

Chiron
12-09-2008, 14:52
Chaos ogre outfit?

A little black dress for a night out, plenty of lipstick and of course a Louis Vitton bag

Dtrik
12-09-2008, 15:31
I dont think anyone knows their options right now (didnt see it in GodlessM's summary) but I doubt they'll have a shield option. Besides I dont think it would be useful anyway, if they already have chaos armor they are already more heavily armored than anything possible in the OK list, give them great weapons and mark of nurgle or khorne and you have Super Ironguts!

GodlessM
12-09-2008, 15:45
Why does everyone doubt they would have shields? My summary is a summary of what's new and changed, not every last detail. Of course Ogres can have shields. However, I still fail to see why HW+Sh and MoN would be popular?

Great Weapons will be the most popular option choice, as is obvious. I think most people will play their Ogres unmarked with the exception of themed mono-God armies. But other than that, Khorne would be the most popular mark.

MR.Tea
12-09-2008, 16:40
A little black dress for a night out, plenty of lipstick and of course a Louis Vitton bag
That is so 10 days ago...

Taylor
12-09-2008, 17:02
Well, here's my complicated plan for chaos ogres. I'm sure i'm going to run 2 units of 3 ogres.
What I'm going to do for a conversion is buy a box of bulls. Then, i'm going to greenstuff chainmail on them, and then brownstuff plate armour, including the pauldrons. I'm going to equip them with swords (all chaos'd up of course) and make a large chaos shield out of plasticard, with a chaos motif on them. I got this neat casting kit out of Toronto, so I'm going to cast the shield as well as the sword from the nurgle daemon prince (http://uk.games-workshop.com/chaosspacemarines/miniature-gallery/45/). Then - once the brown stuffing is done, i'm going to put the sword on their back, attach the shield, and BAM!! Chaos Ogres ready to rock.
If anyone else has some suggestions, let me know what you think.

T.

Leogun_91
12-09-2008, 19:11
Of course Ogres can have shields. However, I still fail to see why HW+Sh and MoN would be popular? No Ogre unit at this moment can have shield....it is possible that Chaos ogres could get Ironfists but I donīt think they will get shields.....actually I canīt think of one good reason chaos ogres should have shields when maneaters and Tyrants canīt.

Devil Tree
12-09-2008, 19:22
I kind of doubt they will be allowed shields. +2 save monsters is a bit over the top. Besides they’ll be a lot better with great weapons anyways. Monsters need to be able to kill stuff, instead of rely on CR.

Tokamak
12-09-2008, 19:25
http://uk.games-workshop.com/thelordoftherings/miniature-gallery/images/evil/troll-chief.gif

BattleofLund
12-09-2008, 19:35
Why does everyone doubt they would have shields? My summary is a summary of what's new and changed, not every last detail. Of course Ogres can have shields. However, I still fail to see why HW+Sh and MoN would be popular?

Great Weapons will be the most popular option choice, as is obvious. I think most people will play their Ogres unmarked with the exception of themed mono-God armies. But other than that, Khorne would be the most popular mark.

Wasn't the rumour that MoN would be Cloud of Flies? Then Nurg-Ogres with shields would be the ultimate in don't-wound-me-ogreness. But yes, Great Weapons for me too... unless you can take both, of course.

No Ogre unit at this moment can have shield....it is possible that Chaos ogres could get Ironfists but I donīt think they will get shields.....actually I canīt think of one good reason chaos ogres should have shields when maneaters and Tyrants canīt.

'No Ogre unit', no, but Chaos Ogres from Beasts of Chaos can take shields. Hence the possibility that WoC Chaos Ogres might get an option for shields.

GodlessM
12-09-2008, 21:01
Exactly my point BattleofLund thank you

Taylor
13-09-2008, 04:41
Of course they'll have a shield option - Godless said so. I got faith in Godless - he's at Hastings status in my books. His word is gold.
So far, he's got us the goods on the Chaos book - and after sifting through hundreds of pages, and seen the concrete answers he's given us to our questions, I still fail to see why people (who contributed nothing but grief) to the discussion still feel that they have to argue with what he has to say. It's crap.

Sorry - I think that's been building up for a while. Thanks Godless and Hastings for all your great input (and others, such as Ugrat, Harry, and Avian). I don't post here often but I do read it regularily, and it's people like you that keep me coming back to this forum. Keep up the good work.

T.

logan054
13-09-2008, 12:11

Well i personally think we are going to see ogres with great weapons and mark of khorne/Nurgle, the rumoured marks really make the mark of nurgle the no brainer choice.

txamil
13-09-2008, 17:17
Why would you want them with shields? They aren't going to anvil for you any more than they can for beastmen.

Taylor
13-09-2008, 18:30
Again - a 2+ armour save in close combat is reason enough to have a shield. With 3 wounds, they can hold units up to get smashed by chaos knights with lances.

T.

txamil
13-09-2008, 19:52
Are you putting your general in the unit for leadership?

Taylor
13-09-2008, 21:16
Of course you're going to keep him within 12" - hopefully with a unit of chaos knights so you're doing the smashing while the ogres hold him up. Seems like a decent plan to me. I think we'll be seeing a lot of chaos ogre conversions in the near future.

T.

snyggejygge
14-09-2008, 16:36
Greatweapons, mark of Khorne 4S6 attacks each, good enough to replace my Minotaurs of Khorne, if they have the option of shields & it comes at a reasonable price I can see them being used as well as it will grant extra protection vs shooting & sometimes it might be better to use the shield.

Avian
14-09-2008, 16:52
I would say that anyone who expects Chaos Ogres to keep shields is excessively optimistic. I think it was quite clear from the moment Ogre Kingdoms came out that the time of Ogres with shields was over.

You can have Ogres with Chaos armour and great weapons, be content with that. :)

Taylor
14-09-2008, 17:00
So, before i spend hours and hours modelling my chaos ogres - maybe I should wait for the book to come out? Has anyone actually seen the book, and can they give me a definite answer?

T.

Valaraukar
16-09-2008, 10:02
Yup saw it at GD, they come with heavy armour which can be upgraded to chaos armour, no shield option can be given a great weapon or extra hand weapon.

Kerill
16-09-2008, 11:05
@Valaraukar, do you remember how much they cost and how much the upgrades were?

Valaraukar
16-09-2008, 11:09
I'm afraid I can't remember the base cost I think it was 30 or 35 but it was definitely +5 points for chaos armour and I think +5 for additional hand weapon +10 for great weapon.

Kerill
16-09-2008, 12:34
Thanks for the reply. Hmm 10 points for a great weapon is a lot, I wonder if it is the same for Dragon Ogres- if so they will not really be any cheaper than before. Trolls are cheaper but considerably weaker.

It seems the new list has nothing particularly good nor bad but that all the choices are fairly viable. The latter is good news-no no brainers and nothing looking to crap (as long as the altar is good enough to boost the chosen), the former may not be considering how weak warriors become with the loss of beasts and daemons (and then again with the WD list). I'm not hoping for an uber list but I hope it will be able to at least have a reasonable chance against VC and Daemons.

Ogres at 50 points fully kitted will be more expensive than in hordes (47 for h armour, shield and G weapon choosing 3+ save OR S6) or 45 which would be a bit cheaper.

Valaraukar
16-09-2008, 13:32
Like I said I'm a bit fuzzy on the points I was looking more at the rules I'm afraid but I think it looks like quite a decent list and some of the gifts, items and spells are awesome. Haven't had a chance to obviously look through for cheesey combinations and such but it looks powerful if not perhaps as broken as daemons.

One bit of cheese for large battles imparticular I saw was the Tzeentch character Vilitch the curseling, he is a level 4 wizard with the +1 to cast and for every failed dispell attempt of his spells by the enemy you get to use those dispel dice to cast another spell. In their phase every failed attempt to cast you get to steal the dice and cast a spell in their phase!

Also their is a Tzeentch gift which allows you to pick one enemy wizard each turn and know all of their spells except spawning or regaining wounds spells, another which allows you to make one casting attempt auto mis-cast and another which combined would be horrible which allows you to nudge one miscast by D3 in either direction for your wizards or theirs.