PDA

View Full Version : Non GW Bases used in-store?

Hollopoint
13-09-2008, 03:35
I have seen some cool bases supplied by other manufacturers such a Microart and was wondering what the deal is with bringing armies using these bases to GW stores? I know using other companies minis is a no no but what about bases?

snurl
13-09-2008, 07:16
I am sure that somewhere, somebody will have a huge problem with it.
If you ever find that person, take their picture and tape it into your dictionary next to the word "twit"

LionoftheBegs
13-09-2008, 07:19
I have seen some cool bases supplied by other manufacturers such a Microart and was wondering what the deal is with bringing armies using these bases to GW stores? I know using other companies minis is a no no but what about bases?

Is your mini 70 to 90% made of of GW items?

If your answer is yes, then yes you can.

If your answer is no, then I doubt you can use it in the GW store.

Orinoco
13-09-2008, 08:17
forgeworld do resin bases and they are awful compared to the microart ones and a range of others out there.

nanktank
13-09-2008, 08:43
I think the only issue with the bases would be if they were a different size to the standard bases, but I cannot imagine anybody being so anal that they wouldnt allow them just because they were made by a different company

devolutionary
13-09-2008, 08:46
Only the size matters. GW have never had an issue with customised bases or those from other sources.

blongbling
13-09-2008, 10:07
what devolutionary said

Art Is Resistance
13-09-2008, 10:33
If anyone in a store gives you grief for using customised bases, politley point out that a huge amount of GW staffers who play at Warhammer World use them with no problems. I would say that 80% of the armies I see at our club (at WhW) have a mix of standard / microart or similar bases.

Tokamak
13-09-2008, 11:04

Is that calculated in components?

I'm planning to let the AoW shaman ride the upcoming wyvern may it ever be released.

In size, volume and weight the shaman is indeed less then 90% of the entire model. But not in components.

My question is how do people determine this? And what about models you sculpted yourself?

Duke Georgal
13-09-2008, 11:25
What about models you sculpted yourself?

In the USA models that are original sculptures are 100% OK, and even encouraged at GW events.

Darnok
13-09-2008, 12:30

Not quite correct, as this is the "guideline" for the model itself, not the base.

I have never ever seen or heard of a case where scenic bases from other manufacturers were prohibited in a GW event - with a "maybe" attached to the case of GD competitions. In a normal store it definetely is allowed, and most likely encouraged. I however doubt that a standard GW employe would even recognize at all; those that do would say "cool, show me more".

To make a long story short, to the OP: go ahead, there is no problem at all with what you want to do.

Hollopoint
13-09-2008, 18:11
Thanks for you replies guys, looks like my wallet is about to get lighter. I almost wish it wasn't allowed. :D

Sleazy
13-09-2008, 18:45
I just rebased my entire Chaos Dwarf army using lava bases from Foundations Of War.

I'm sure it wont be a problem (after all I'm not taking any profits from GW), but I'm sure there'll be those brainwashed GW ****** somewhere who'll reckon its not allowed.

susu.exp
13-09-2008, 21:22
Of course this is illegal. Itīs not a GW product so it isnīt allowed. They will also use the spectrometer they now have in story to check the chemical composition of the paint and glue and not allow you to play if you used alternatives to Citadel color or their glues. Electron microscopy is used to analyze the nano-scrape marks left by the knife used to trim off flash. If it wasnīt the GW one, you wonīt play. It is safe to say, that every GW store now has the full CSI equipment range to ensure only GW components are used for anything...

Seriously: Iīm amazed that the question even came up (the manufacturers of scenic bases tend to stick to GWs base sizes - indicative of their primary market). After all the infamous "blood letters" were used at GW events, werenīt they?

Vaz84
13-09-2008, 22:02
Ive tried to use Warmachine bases in my local GW. Dispite MANY other companies making round sided 25mm and 30mm, 40mm, bases. The base is most frequently associated with Warmachine, thus is not allowed for use at GW stores. I've had the store manager tell me that himself, and a bunker manager the same. This ruling is for both casual and tournament play.

LionoftheBegs
14-09-2008, 00:17
Is that calculated in components?

I'm planning to let the AoW shaman ride the upcoming wyvern may it ever be released.

In size, volume and weight the shaman is indeed less then 90% of the entire model. But not in components.

My question is how do people determine this? And what about models you sculpted yourself?

Models you made yourself are fine.

Models in terms of using AOW, Well, if I have Model A that was bought form Company A and I used GW stuff on it, it wouldn't be allowed since Model A is not GW product.

However If I use a GW model and put on stuff from Model A made by Company A, then thats fine, because the GW Model is the majority of the model.

Duke Georgal
14-09-2008, 12:50
Ive tried to use Warmachine bases in my local GW. Dispite MANY other companies making round sided 25mm and 30mm, 40mm, bases. The base is most frequently associated with Warmachine, thus is not allowed for use at GW stores. I've had the store manager tell me that himself, and a bunker manager the same. This ruling is for both casual and tournament play.

I believe Privateer Press bases only come in 30mm, 40mm, and 50mm sizes. GW's smallest base size (round) is 25mm, and the largest is 60mm. It would seem your bases on some of your models were incorrectly sized.

Vaz84
14-09-2008, 18:14
Yes PP bases only come in 30 40 and 50mm.. 40mm is perfect for terminators =)

However Ive seen other companies do 25mm and 60mm round sided bases. Using 30mm for 25mm models shouldn't be too bad though.

Calgacus
16-09-2008, 11:29
When GW changed the size of Terminators, I rebased some old ones using poker chips from the local pound shop which were the same size and a lot cheaper. They've been used frequently in the local GW without anyone minding.

ZeroTwentythree
17-09-2008, 02:31
I don't think you'd have a problem with 3rd party bases 99% of the time, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone at some point did get hassled for it.

In the USA models that are original sculptures are 100% OK, and even encouraged at GW events.

Not really.

Non-Citadel miniatures are not allowed in the Grand Tournament and will be removed in the same way as unpainted miniatures.

Conversions must begin as Citadel miniatures and contain a majority of Citadel components. All other models will be removed from the table. They must be of the appropriate type for the troops they represent and comply with the “Counts As” rule below.

Models may be scratch built for purposes of representing models that do not have a current (or previous edition) model. If the scratch build is for a figure then the figure must follow the guidelines laid out for conversions.

Those are the current GWUS GT rules. So 100% sculpted is only OK if they don't sell a model for what you're fielding. Otherwise it has to start with one of their models as a basis. Other "official" GW events have had similar language.

I've had to leave centerpieces of my army at home before because they were 100% greenstuff and thus didn't meet their guidelines.

If they are scratch sculpted figures are "encouraged" then they need to change their rules so they don't explicitly forbid them.

Verm1s
29-06-2010, 20:31
Sorry for the thread necromancy (almost 2 years - phew!), but I've been thinking about this myself, on a slightly different tangent to resin bases (and the lipped bases thing was a bit inconclusive for my liking). I've been daydreaming about starting a new army or two with the new WFB boxset and suddenly decided I could do without slottabases for most things. I wouldn't mind giving Renedra's flat bases (http://renedra.co.uk/) a try. How d'you think those would go down in a GW shop?

I won't be gaming too much in GW anyway, but it's be nice to have an occassional pick-up game. I'm going to ask in said shop later this week (I can make a rough stab at the answer...), but I'd like to ask the opinions and experiences of some of you, too.

Sleazy
29-06-2010, 21:37
well they just look like plain plastic. Cant see anyone caring really.

I have used Foundations Of War resins in store with no probs.

marv335
29-06-2010, 21:58
I've seen a variety of different resin bases used in store with no problems whatsoever.

scarletsquig
30-06-2010, 05:46
well they just look like plain plastic. Cant see anyone caring really.

I don't know about that, there's always the chance of running into some dork that'll accuse you of trying to take advantage of 8th edition "true line of sight" by having bases that aren't as high as the GW ones.

I've seen that comment mentioned before over a well-painted 40k army based on 2p pieces (they work really well).. the owner didn't say anything and just gave the other guy a disgusted :wtf: look... and then the subject was dropped. Can't see it being a problem with anyone but the most 'nardy of grognards. :)

Plagueridden
30-06-2010, 15:12
I am sure that somewhere, somebody will have a huge problem with it.
If you ever find that person, take their picture and tape it into your dictionary next to the word "twit"

and spread on the web please

Bellygrub
30-06-2010, 19:57
My Plague Marine army is based on Privateer Press 30mm round lip bases and I have no issues playing at the local GW.

I had one person try to say that my slightly larger bases gave me an advantage...but I simply pointed out that it gave him the same advantage and that was the end of that.

Verm1s
01-07-2010, 20:30
Er... I neglected to ask. But playing a five minute demo game in the middle of (literally) deafening music and jostling kids and punters reminded me what GW shops are like, so I think it's a moot point.

and spread on the web please

I could tell you about the staff who determinedly tried to hock the Ģ45 breezeblock preorder on me when I said I was interested in the new starter set. There was a lot of smiling and nodding going on there, I can tell you.

Bodysnatcher
01-07-2010, 23:31
My Plague Marine army is based on Privateer Press 30mm round lip bases and I have no issues playing at the local GW.

Any particular reason you picked them?

Bellygrub
02-07-2010, 15:34
Any particular reason you picked them?

Honeslty I just like the way the lipped bases look. I've also never liked the way Space Marine feet tend to hang over the edge of the base so this solved it.

I don't get to play nearly as much as I'd like to so it's all about the look for me.