PDA

View Full Version : will I have to buy the new space marine book

dreameater
13-09-2008, 12:43
I currently have a large black temlar army an was wondering if I would need to buy the new space marin book thank.

byteboy
13-09-2008, 12:43
No you don't, unless you want to play black SMs and not BT.

willydstyle
13-09-2008, 12:52
Especially since the new book doesn't really have any way to represent the uniqueness of the BT army.

byteboy
13-09-2008, 12:54
Hell, I am deciding wether to not even buy the book, rebel and convert my DIY SM army into another DA chapter after seeing how borked DA/BA and to an extent, BT will be. Really not happy how vehicles with the same gear/abilites cost more than SM.

Eryx_UK
13-09-2008, 12:56
Really, GW should have inlcuded a side bar or two just to say how the new units could be used under the other SM codexs.

dreameater
13-09-2008, 13:03
will it be legal in tourney

ChrisAsmadi
13-09-2008, 13:18
BT, unlike DA, BA or SW, are actually useful without resorting to the normal C:SM.

Their uniqueness is retained (whereas Ravenwing, Furioso Dreads + cool stuff is lost to the others) and the Preferred Enemy vow is VERY nice.

Adyger
13-09-2008, 13:26
BT, unlike DA, BA or SW, are actually useful without resorting to the normal C:SM.

Their uniqueness is retained (whereas Ravenwing, Furioso Dreads + cool stuff is lost to the others) and the Preferred Enemy vow is VERY nice.

Yeah, preferred enemy is very sweet. My two friends and I are playing through a Templar, Eldar and Tau 10 mission campaign right now and the Templars just played their first mission against the Tau. That preferred enemy rule wasn't as important with the bigger units, but a single assault marine (left over from a 5 man squad) was able to hold his own against and 11 strong Vespid squad for 3 turns and managed to kill 3 of them at the same time!

Delmont
13-09-2008, 18:42
Even Ravenwing for the DA is still unique. Sure the new marine dex can get bikes as troops, but the attack bike has to go with one of the squads if they break into combat squads, it can't run around on its own. You can't add a landspeeder to the squad that runs around on its own. and the SM bikes don't have the scout rule with teleport homers. About the only similarity is that both can have bikes as troops...

byteboy
14-09-2008, 02:42
Check some army list comparisons and people have claimed SM book gives them about 130 extra points vs. DA version. That's a large difference.