PDA

View Full Version : Deathkorps stand ins

slayerofmen
14-09-2008, 12:05
Right, i like many others have thought about collecting a death korps army after seeing the models on forgeworld, because lets be fair they look hot.

The issue: well there is really only one issue, price. to buy enough to meet the minimum requirements of a guard army will cost me (I'm aussie) $440, now don't get me wrong i love the hobby, love those models and all the trappings. but in the end i just cant justify the cost so....

the question: what has anyone done/ does anyone have ideas for, how i could use the current plastic kits to make a trench coat wearing trench fighting army

And yes i am aware that using the kits will not get me the exact look, it would be more for the gas masked up trench coat wearing 'ard man look

Tommygun
14-09-2008, 12:27
These Pig Iron minis may be the next best thing.
You can also by the heads separate and make long coats with greenstuff on the plastic guard models.

Templar Ben
14-09-2008, 14:47
You can try either of these if you like metal.

http://www.hlbs.co.uk/series.php?id=26
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/GREATWAR/white.asp
http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/categories.asp?cat=58

CommisarMolotov
14-09-2008, 15:38
There was a (currently out of print) wargame called "Warzone" that had a BUNCH of plastic miniatures in it that would fit Death Korps pretty well. They were very WWI-themed minis with gas-masks and WWI-style helmets ("Tin Tommy" and "Pickelhaube" for the Trenchers and Bauhaus factions, respectively).

http://www.princeaugust.ie/target_games/tg2420.html

If you can find any of those, they'd make a cheap, cheap alternative. Only problem would be the lack of heavy weapons.

The_Patriot
15-09-2008, 03:08
There is always Secrets of the Third Reich (http://www.westwindproductions.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=126_146) figures from the Germans line by West Wind Productions.

slayerofmen
16-09-2008, 09:18
would anyone have an idea of how to do them using cadian plastics remember I'm not after 100% krieg, i remember a WD that had an army done using conversations but i can't remember it

Ddraiglais
16-09-2008, 11:07
There was a really cool army that looked like WW I Brits. They were callled the Genswick Rifles. They used Bettonians with Cadian bits so you don't get the gas mask or the coat (IIRC some of the armor could have passed as coats). They still looked good without the gasmasks though. There's always Steel Legion. They're a bit cheaper than DKoK from FW. Another route would be to use Westwind and/or Pig Iron heads. There are also tons of cool WW I minis out there. All you'd have to do is convert the weapons.

ceno
16-09-2008, 11:15
You can use as many stand ins as you want, they will never be the forgeworld models you love so much. Trust me.
I recommend you see it as a long term project, where you buy the original FW stuff. Just buy little bits at the time to keep the cost down a bit. They are well worth their money, and deep down you know you don't want substitutes.

surprize
16-09-2008, 15:54
The only place I think you can make savings is in the artillery. I collect FW DKoK and I have recently purchased a basilisk battery from an independant shop for 45 (3xbasilisk kits) and have purchased a medusa conversion kit and a pack of DKoK artillery crew from FW - total cost 70. For that I get "counts as" miniatures for 2 Earthshaker cannons and 1 medusa cannon, that look authentically DKoK, rather than the 220 the actual models would cost.

Also means I can field DKoK 'artillery' as the actual IG tanks with a normal list.

The models are so nice though that you would be cheating yourself if you didn't get any! ;) I've been collecting them for 6 months or so and put aside a strict limit of 50 a month. It'll take me a couple of years to get a really good army, but in the meantime I devote plenty of time and effort to painting my month's purchases (which they deserve) and use them as "detachments" in my existing IG army so I can game with them as well.

Try buying a command squad, or infantry squad and painting them up as a trial- if you don't think they're worth it at least you'll know. But in "the flesh" they are so sweet!

Davout
16-09-2008, 16:06
As stated above I would use either Steel Legion $35 USD for a squad from the online store, or combine plastic Cadians with the plastic bretonian men at arms kit.

Personally, I would go Steel Legion. And if you wanted to make them look more WWI, add spike to the top of their helmets.

Gdolkin
17-09-2008, 00:31
I've made similar enquiries regarding renegade militia/general traitor Guard in gas masks, and been told that the Bretonnians are torso-and-legs-in-one and the arms are seperated at the elbow rather than shoulder, which put me off them for really easy conversions. Pig Iron and Westwind heads are ideal though, either on basic cadians or whatever you find.

El Haroldo
17-09-2008, 02:15
I've made similar enquiries regarding renegade militia/general traitor Guard in gas masks, and been told that the Bretonnians are torso-and-legs-in-one and the arms are seperated at the elbow rather than shoulder, which put me off them for really easy conversions. Pig Iron and Westwind heads are ideal though, either on basic cadians or whatever you find.

Can someone link to how cadian + brettonian = Death Korps? There was a beautiful DK army in a white Dwarf ages ago featuring converted DK rough riders on Brettonian quilted mounts, but I'm not sure how brettonian infantry would work with cadians. They don't have trenchcoats, they have peasant tunics, a bit of armour, big ass halberds.

You wouldn't bring ultramarines to a WW1/2 wargame, so why bring german troops to 40k? I'm down here in Australia, and yeah, FW prices essentially double then add shipping. You're still going to be importing 90% of other brand 28mm models, so might as well get the right ones. DK do look awesome, but part of that is the detail. They're guardsmen, albeit elite, psycho guardsmen but they're still guardsmen. Aquilas, lasguns, hellguns, grenade launchers and meltaguns. Not swastikas and 98ks.

Try getting together with like minded gamers and going for a group order. We're doing something similiar in a while and this should save us a little bit. As people have suggested, start small, integrate them with your regular army. And if you're going to be playing regular 40k, don't bother with IA books and vehicles you can't use. Just get regualar russes, basilisks, and Death Korps-ify them. Barbed wire and mud everywhere.

Chem-Dog
17-09-2008, 02:44
You can use as many stand ins as you want, they will never be the forgeworld models you love so much. Trust me.
I recommend you see it as a long term project, where you buy the original FW stuff. Just buy little bits at the time to keep the cost down a bit. They are well worth their money, and deep down you know you don't want substitutes.

QFT

Either save and get them all in one go OR piecemeal them but you'll never be happy with stand-ins.

and been told that the Bretonnians are torso-and-legs-in-one and the arms are seperated at the elbow rather than shoulder, which put me off them for really easy conversions.

It really shouldn't, simply snip off the shoulders parallel and add cadian arms, it's a doddle, I did it and it literally takes about 10 seconds per man. Make sure you're using Bretonnian men at arms with Halberds, not the bowmen.

I can't find the Genswick Rifles anywhere on the net :(

silentsmoke
17-09-2008, 09:18
Er if you can do this hobby, then you dont need stand -ins and why would you as the FW models are great - Just build the army over time like I have done.

Ddraiglais
17-09-2008, 11:28
Can someone link to how cadian + brettonian = Death Korps? There was a beautiful DK army in a white Dwarf ages ago featuring converted DK rough riders on Brettonian quilted mounts, but I'm not sure how brettonian infantry would work with cadians. They don't have trenchcoats, they have peasant tunics, a bit of armour, big ass halberds.

They don't. They equal Genswick Rifles. It's an army someone did that has a WW I Brittish feel. If the OP just wanted a WW I style army, that would be an option for him. Personally, I'd love to see someone do a Genswick army and take it up against a DKoK army in a trench battle. Do a search for Genswick Rifles. I know I've seen them online somewhere. They were also in an old WD.

You wouldn't bring ultramarines to a WW1/2 wargame, so why bring german troops to 40k? I'm down here in Australia, and yeah, FW prices essentially double then add shipping. You're still going to be importing 90% of other brand 28mm models, so might as well get the right ones. DK do look awesome, but part of that is the detail. They're guardsmen, albeit elite, psycho guardsmen but they're still guardsmen. Aquilas, lasguns, hellguns, grenade launchers and meltaguns. Not swastikas and 98ks.

There's a difference. Nothing from 40K would fit in a historical game. However, there are so many IG regiments that almost anything could fit in 40K with only minor conversions. You can still get the detail with some conversions. It's not that hard to replace a rifle with a lasgun or other 40K weapons.

Try getting together with like minded gamers and going for a group order. We're doing something similiar in a while and this should save us a little bit. As people have suggested, start small, integrate them with your regular army. And if you're going to be playing regular 40k, don't bother with IA books and vehicles you can't use. Just get regualar russes, basilisks, and Death Korps-ify them. Barbed wire and mud everywhere.

So you don't pay shipping. That's great, but what about the fact that you are paying right around double for your minis? I've been tempted to do a DKoK army since it was on preorder. I won't because of the price. I could afford it over time. It wouldn't even take me that long to build. The problem is that I'm not willing to pay that much. If I hit the lotto I probably wouldn't pay that much for DKoK.

StraightSilver
17-09-2008, 11:38
My best suggestion would be to combine the lower half of the plastic HIgh Elves from WFB with the top half of the plastic 40K Cadians.

This will then give you a Cadian in a trench coat, and then use the West Wind or Pig iron seperate head system to get your gas mask wearing heads.

This won't be the cheapest army, but I think it still works out cheaper than buying Forge World death Korps.

goof1972
17-09-2008, 19:59
How about converting these WW1 minatures into Death Korps soldiers?

http://www.renegademiniatures.com/lw1t.htm

goof1972
17-09-2008, 20:35
Whoops... I meant these figures.

http://www.renegademiniatures.com/images/figures/ww1g117.jpg

The_Patriot
18-09-2008, 22:25
Purchasing GW/FW models would be a good suggestion if you can reasonably tell me why they're justified in their prices in comparison with another company's miniatures that are essentially the same thing. Since my Sisters of Battle are now at DKoK pricing I feel no loyalty to GW for their miniatures when another company's miniatures can do the same thing. Coupled this with the complete disregard of my army while making me pay through the nose to make an army bu GW it had better be a very compelling reason for me to recommend them as a company to anyone.

I just introduced a friend of mine to wargaming and I'm making sure to tell him to steer clear of any and all GW miniatures. If he wants to play 40k with us we will allow him to use another company's miniatures since they're much cheaper for metal minis.

Templar Ben
18-09-2008, 22:59
How about converting these WW1 minatures into Death Korps soldiers?

http://www.renegademiniatures.com/lw1t.htm

Those are great Steel Legion.

El Haroldo
19-09-2008, 00:10
So you don't pay shipping. That's great, but what about the fact that you are paying right around double for your minis? I've been tempted to do a DKoK army since it was on preorder. I won't because of the price. I could afford it over time. It wouldn't even take me that long to build. The problem is that I'm not willing to pay that much. If I hit the lotto I probably wouldn't pay that much for DKoK.

Paying double the cost price stings, but it's the fault of our dollar, not FW. Having said that, the cost of a DKoK army is disgusting and I coulnd't justify it. Unfortunately, unless GW start doing the things I want in plastic, FW and it's horrible prices will have to suffice.