PDA

View Full Version : ARe Vox-casters worth it?

Sam Spade
12-10-2008, 19:40
I am starting an imperial guard army and was just wondering if I dont take Comissars should I take vox casters in all my platoons?

thanks,

Xenobane
12-10-2008, 20:39
Both Commissars and vox casters are expensive for what they provide to your army. For smaller point games you should be able to keep all of your infantry within 12" of an officer, and at least a large part of it within 12" of your command HQ (which should have a standard bearer - the best leadership-based upgrade you can buy). At the size of the game increases, so does the worth of the vox network - largely because providing good Ld to your units becomes harder, and because you're spending less (proportionally) on it.

EVIL INC
12-10-2008, 20:42
I dont usually fool with them. A vet sarge is just as good for less points plus you get the +1 ld for all the units with them instead of just one the hq decides to assist. Course, I see nothing wrong with modeling them without actually using them so long as you let me know because they do look cool.
If you dont use them, you can use the vox heads on a unit, give the unit extra gubbins on thier guns and call them stormtroopers or vets.

freddythebig
12-10-2008, 21:26
Honorifica Imperialis on Junior Officers plus Heroic Senoir Officer/Senior officer can provide you with good enough leadership 'bubbles' to not need Vox Casters.

I have enough Vox's modelled to put one in every squad that I have and could field three full strengh platoons if I wanted to. Its just that after my first couple of games with them I found them to be a bit of a points sink for what they did.

Cheers.

sigur
12-10-2008, 21:32
If you care to use the search function in the appropriate forums section (NOT 40k General) for such things, you will find the common consensus very fast. Generally speaking, you can find the answer to 98% of such questions in the Tactica Imperial Guard thread.

zoodog
12-10-2008, 21:37
The majority of experienced guard players I know consider them a point sink. Unless you play an extremely mobile guard army the majority of the time you will be near your officers.

Maidel
12-10-2008, 21:43
If you care to use the search function in the appropriate forums section (NOT 40k General) for such things, you will find the common consensus very fast. Generally speaking, you can find the answer to 98% of such questions in the Tactica Imperial Guard thread.

Honestly - have you actually TRIED to use the search function?

It, and on every other board ive ever used, is completely and utterly useless.

So post the poor guy a link or something, rather than recommending something which just doesnt work.

keatsmeister
12-10-2008, 21:48
Pretty well covered already, your Officers do cover quite a lot of ground, and when backed up with Commissars, Company Standards and the odd trademark item, you should do OK. For the points you'd invest in a vox-network, IMO there are doctrines which are far more effective.

sigur
12-10-2008, 21:48
Honestly - have you actually TRIED to use the search function?

It, and on every other board ive ever used, is completely and utterly useless.

So post the poor guy a link or something, rather than recommending something which just doesnt work.

Yes, I have used the search function very often and it works like a charm. Every time. The "search function doesn't work" excuse just doesn't work, sorry. ;) So don't accuse me of suggesting stuff which I have no idea of.

Attention, poor guy, here's a link to a thread I found (using the SEARCH FUNCTION) at the first attempt and after 30seconds of searching:

Are VOX casters worth it? (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159699&highlight=vox+casters) - a 2 pages thread on EXACTLY the same subject and in the appropriate forums section.

Apart from that, browsing the IG tactica manually wouldn't be a bad idea for any IG player anyway....

Maidel
12-10-2008, 21:53
Attention, poor guy, here's a link to a thread I found (using the SEARCH FUNCTION) at the first attempt and after 30seconds of searching:

Well bugger me, that is the exact same title...

I will accept that and revise my statement

IVE never managed to find anything using it :D

Skink Master
12-10-2008, 22:13
Vox casters are worth, imho. 5pts as opposed to 6pts for a Vet Sarge. 30pts for your HQ who will be nicely sheltered behind a local terrain feature as all good commanders should be.

I find it's the cheaper and more reliable option. And it's characterful. You just need to remember that add-ons do not work through it. Comissars, Trademark items, and the like.

It's down to personal preference, really. Plan to keep him close the bulk of the army? Then you can probably not worry about them and just get more bodies to sacrifice for the Emperor.

devik
12-10-2008, 23:38
I find it's the cheaper and more reliable option. And it's characterful. You just need to remember that add-ons do not work through it. Comissars, Trademark items, and the like.

Commissars do work through the vox-link, just not any of the other upgrades (with the exception of the honorifica imperialis, of course). That +1ld boost is pretty much a "that guy will shoot me if I screw up" thing, so he's trying harder than normal. All the other stuff is just items that people have to actually see...

Skink Master
13-10-2008, 00:00
True, my bad. I misplaced my codex so I just pulled that one out of the proverbial.

EVIL INC
13-10-2008, 00:15
it's not that big a deal. This is a serious question that the guy has a right to ask. It is not like having a whole page of threads all talking about the same thing and it is not like this question pops up very often at all.
He has every right to ask it here and I applaud those who have given him good answers.
Of course, reading through the tactica gaurd thread would be nice but not everyone has the time to trawl through all of that for what they are looking for. Reading it for it's own merit would be good though if he has the time. Personally, too much trouble for me to bother.

Marshal Argos
13-10-2008, 09:28
Commissars do work through the vox-link, just not any of the other upgrades (with the exception of the honorifica imperialis, of course). That +1ld boost is pretty much a "that guy will shoot me if I screw up" thing, so he's trying harder than normal. All the other stuff is just items that people have to actually see...

And our latest FAQ for IG states that the Commissars leadership bonus does not work through the vox.

I find that Vox's depend on your army. I like to use them when I DP my troops in because I know they won't be near an officer. If i'm playing without Drop Troops than I typically don't use them.

Paradox
13-10-2008, 09:35
Vox Caster's look too cool to not be included.

Do it Do it Do it.

However from a WAAC perspective- point sink, ahoy!

Bunnahabhain
13-10-2008, 11:33
As has been said in every other thread on vox casters....

They are very rarely worth it. Big games only, ie well over 2000pts, with lots of infantry, and they start to become the best Ld option. Most of the time, veteran sergents, or officer networks are better and cheaper.

The Ld a squad can use down the vox is that of the officer, ie that which is listed on their profile. Commissars, banner re-rolls, and any other Ld benefit you can think of DO NOT WORK. This is what the main IG rules say, and the FAQ emphasised.

They do look right though, so I will regularly have a full vox network in the army, and tell my opponent they are just there to look good, and that due to heavy radio interference, the entire network doesn't work, and so hasn't been paid for. I've not had objections.

SPYDER68
13-10-2008, 14:31
With 5th Edition and current missions, in my openion, Commissars are just walking free killpoints for your opponet to shoot at.

But yea, Vox Casters look awsome.

Xenobane
13-10-2008, 14:47
With 5th Edition and current missions, in my openion, Commissars are just walking free killpoints for your opponet to shoot at.

You don't have to take them as Independent Characters, you know. In fact under the 5th ed. assault rules, they're no longer effective in that role. Attached to command squads, they actually make those KPs harder for the opponent to get.

Not that it makes them any more viable, or course...

Lord Cook
13-10-2008, 16:56
Commissars do work through the vox-link

As others have said, but I will repeat for clarity anyway; I'm afraid they don't. The codex is perfectly clear they don't, and the FAQ supporting that just hammers it home even further. You can get a Ld9 master-vox network or, if you're using a technicality, you can get a Ld10 normal-vox network that can only be used by one unit a turn.

The Base
14-10-2008, 06:58
I think vox casters are worth it.

Most IG people on the net seem to think every upgrade save heavy weapons is a point sink.

However think about it this way, what are you going to get for the same number of points that will be anywhere near as effective?

The odds of failing an ld 6 or 7 test are much much higher than failing an ld 9 test.

Xenobane
14-10-2008, 11:43
However think about it this way, what are you going to get for the same number of points that will be anywhere near as effective?

The odds of failing an ld 6 or 7 test are much much higher than failing an ld 9 test.

That's a misrepresentation of the choice here. No-one is suggesting that the Guardsman's basic leadership is sufficient, but for most armies at most points levels it should be easily possible to have your infantry sheltered within two leadership bubbles; one with Ld 9 (JO with Honorifica) and one with Ld 8 and a re-roll (JO with standard bearer). This gives you Ld 9 or better (because Ld 8 with a re-roll beats 9 anyday) through the whole army, and a much lower points cost than a vox network, mastervox and HSO.