http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3140310

This is an older, somewhat related thread about fake-Lego Ork toys:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57944

senorcardgage
27-10-2008, 04:43
How is this all legal?!?

ankara halla
27-10-2008, 04:55
How isn't it? Lego's patent on plastic blocks ran out years ago (patents don't last forever) and while that certainly is somewhat similiar to a Thunderhawk transporter, it's at best inspired by it, not a copy in any way or form.

ehlijen
27-10-2008, 04:57
The similarity is obvious, but so are the differences.

This lego thing does not have the huge cannon on the back, it lacks the sponson weapons liberally placed of the the thunderhawk and the cargo pod clearly extends all the way back past the tail; something not found on the thunderhawk.

Sure it looks somewhat like a thunderhawk, it apparently acts like one too. But no GW trademark phrases were used and it also bears clear differences.

I don't know if that's enough, but it may well be legal due to that.

Templar Ben
27-10-2008, 04:57
So for less than a Rhino I can build a Thunderhawk. Hmmmmmm. :angel:

Warforger
27-10-2008, 04:58
It looks like one, with some Guns it could very well annoy players.

ankara halla
27-10-2008, 05:01
Except that if the studs on the thing are anything Lego sized, it's barely bigger than a Land Rider, but with less volume.

Templar Ben
27-10-2008, 05:03
Why should someone be annoyed?

I like the old Ork vehicles in that one link. Funny that people were saying that GW should sue.
GW: "Hey you stole our Rhino."
Them: "No we were just copying an M113."
GW: "No we stole it first you can't use it."

Brilliant.

PondaNagura
27-10-2008, 05:09
heh i like the pseudo BSG font, and how it looks it's being chased by the bat-plane

xragg
27-10-2008, 05:13
Why would GW care? Little kids play with legos that resemble figures in their games. These kids grow up a little and they want to play with nicer looking toys they are already familiar with.

ehlijen
27-10-2008, 05:14
I dunno.

The fact that the bottom of the thing is flat and the top has a a bulge (rather than the other way round on the thunderhawk) really changes its look.

The hawk looks like a bird of prey with a massive beak. This thing has a bit of a flying pig look. But maybe that's just me...

Ddraiglais
27-10-2008, 06:29
I'm kinda surprised GW hasn't sued yet. It has differences, but that hasn't stopped GW from flexing it's muscle before. Ask Dreamforge about it. They made some great miniatures that looked kinda like imperators, but were warlord sized. GW forced them to remove their leviathans. For a company that's suppose to be run by gamers for gamers, GW falls real short of expectations when it comes to protecting their near monopoly.

devik
27-10-2008, 06:30
heh i like the pseudo BSG font, and how it looks it's being chased by the bat-plane

batplane > thunderhawk imo

Havock
27-10-2008, 06:50
Since when does GW have a patent on flying bricks? :p

Inquisitor Engel
27-10-2008, 06:58

Honestly I think they're supposed to be Raiders (what with the eyes and all) and the other ship is BLATANTLY a Viper, just pop those front wings off and it looks just like a Lego MkII Colonial Viper would.

chromedog
27-10-2008, 09:20
It's a bit small to be a t-hawk.
Those are the small sized lego wheels (not the usual SM bike sized ones). The rear hatch is only 4 studs wide, which is only 32mm. The entire hull width is roughly that of a chimera, length is around 30cm - probably the closest dimension.

That said, it doesn't look enough like a T-hawk, uses no GW trademarked names, and is more than likely only produced by a "shell" company (Company X sells products made by company Y as parts. Company X is a separate legal entity. If company X gets sued, it folds, and co Y will start up a new "company" and continue) from somewhere in the asian co-prosperity sphere of operations.

taffeh
27-10-2008, 09:36
sure I just saw this on 40kradio's forums :P