PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Table Construction

omgitsduane
27-10-2008, 10:57
Some, or quite a lot of you may have come across my Ork Fort/New Ork table idea discussion thread and now that the obvious winner is the fort, I will now have to go about thinking of ways to make it get to the next stage.

I have done some research tonight about how I would go about building the actual gaming section of a table, meaning the piece that is not made from timber and came to the conclusion that the best way to go about this is a 2x4foot block of 12.7mm, 25mm and 30mm sections and just lay them down together and cut them to shape from there.
This way will end up costing me roughly $65 AUD, which although was much worse than I initially thought I would pay for this scale of foam.

So that is all the foam section taken care of, next is the actual wooden table section which confuses me the most as I'm terrible with wood work and never been able to use a saw to save my life.

The standard is MDF board am I correct? The sides of the foam I would hope match the table fairly well and thus there isn't need for much adjustment after that point.
Now with the MDF obviously a single board can't be the entire table, there has to be legs and this is what I was pondering was the use of retractable legs with pegs to lock into place so the table doesn't just collapse on itself mid-game and ruin tons of models and work.

The board alone at 6x4 foot with the weight of a game and the foam would probably suffer a bit of flexibility at this stage, so I'd need skirting down the side correct to keep it
straight and stuff during games, is more MDF board the best way to go about this or is a different type of board/wood used?

And one idea that creeped into my mind the other day, as the fort could provide a very big distraction during games, perhaps have it attached to a hinge and the entire fort section just falls back when its not being used to reveal a regular desert board at 6x4 feet. Would this idea work to any effect? Any lumberjacks and woodsmen out there that can give me a friendly hint or two about how best to go about the manufacturing of the base of the table?

As I mentioned I'm no good at this side of things and any help I could get would be most appreciated, my dad is very good with handiwork but his back and legs are in bad condition and he has a very short temper so hes not the most fun to work with.

Also if anyone from Australia or Melbourne in particular can direct me where to find these materials and a rough idea of the price I'd be looking at it would be of great assistance!

So thats everything I think thanks for reading :)

bugbait_nz
27-10-2008, 21:17
Have a look at the Drunk Dwarfs table for ideas, Table linky (http://www.drunkdwarves.com/?p=200) I like the idea of using timber as the supporting sides rather than MDF, not sure why I have that preferance, mabye its stronger and less likely to warp/sag.

Hinging the fort sounds like hard work, why not a solid base that can be moved and placed anywhere?

Bugbait out.

Tommygun
27-10-2008, 21:44
They do have large folding tables that could do what you want.
They can be expensive for a good quality one ($60 to $130 US) depending on size.

stormtitan
27-10-2008, 23:04
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/216333.page

Try what I've done, it's simple, and uses those folding legs. It's low cost to build, and very easy to build.

omgitsduane
28-10-2008, 09:22
Thanks bug bait and titan and tommy! all great ideas, the folding leg table seems like the best way to go as I won't have to construct a thing haha!

But bugbaits link seems like a fantastic idea that isn't way too much work from the look of things! I'll let everyone know how it goes for sure!

Lithian
28-10-2008, 13:59
Another option might be hitting the flea market/garage sale circuit. I got my table for $10USD after some crafty haggling. :evilgrin: I just laid a 6x4x mdf board on top, works great.

stormtitan
28-10-2008, 18:49
I will say this--I've built 5 of the drunk dwarf boards, and have replaced them with my slimmed down version. They're too beefy, and this one I can fold up and carry up stairs to use while watching the super bowl :)

bugbait_nz
28-10-2008, 19:23
Nice table stormy, can you get the legs separately or did you sacrifice another table?
Do you have more supports under the table for the hardboard?

Bugbait out

JFletch
23-11-2008, 03:58
I had one of those folding tables pictured above around for family gatherings and such and wanted to use it for a warhammer table, but also be able to use it for those family gatherings. So my friends and I made a table topper for it. You don't have to sacrifice a table for it and it's really easy. We havn't had any problems with stability.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/JFletcher1981/11-2-08022.jpg

Underneath
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/JFletcher1981/11-2-08027.jpg

We havn't surfaced it yet, right now we're just using a large piece of felt to cover it. But we're planning on using the sawdust and woodglue method found here: http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=7391

The table measures 4' x 8' for those big games. When we finally do surface it, we're planning on using the felt on the underneath side of the topper to protect the plastic table surface.