PDA

View Full Version : AN interesting Battleground...

Lord General Laumnem
27-10-2008, 22:35
How interesting would a battle be on either a space ship with all the corridors and rooms, or in a system of tunnels, the point being confinded spaces and corridors - you get what i mean lol. Maybe in a building also.

IJW
27-10-2008, 22:36
Yeah. It was called Space Hulk. ;-)

There were Kill Team rules for that kind of game on the old GW site, but I don't think they are on the new one yet.

EDIT - they're still up on the Australian site:
http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/spacehulk/default.htm

Lord General Laumnem
27-10-2008, 22:37
But wasn't space hulk just Terminators v nids?

Durath
27-10-2008, 22:39
But wasn't space hulk just Terminators v nids?

The main game was yes, but I think there were some suppliments which added a few more races to it, power armored marines, and such.

Lord General Laumnem
27-10-2008, 22:55
Yeah, i'm still going to (try) and make an indoors table, probabaly using the tunnel theme. I'm also thinking of a trench warfare and beach assault table :)

devik
28-10-2008, 00:10
This is a pretty cool idea. I totally dig it, and I'd play it!

cailus
28-10-2008, 00:23
For a game set in the realms of science fiction, there's not enough of this sort of thing in 40K.

My own long term goal is to create a universal generic table that can be either a space ship interior or part of a hive city.

El Haroldo
28-10-2008, 00:43
Do it. Would be fun.

Would it be all infantry? Army lists would definately have to be tailored for 'indoor battles' and you might need to tweak some of the rules but overall i think you'd have a lot of fun.

stroller
28-10-2008, 01:02
Space hulk tiles and necromunda buildings work well. Havent yet tried true line of sight with 5th edition in a corridor game board but previously had a house rule for that anyway. There's a fair range of generic 3d space ship corridor scenery around too. Infantry tends to dominate tho crash docking with landspeeders/ falcons / sealed flyers can be risky fun too...

CHOOBER SNIPES
28-10-2008, 01:06
I would love this table myself. The only things stopping me from making one are resources and the modeling skills. I can just imagine entrenched Death Korps battling in trenches with Iron Warriors, or space marines having short range fire fights with tau or some such team. I would suggest adding in some small rules about barricade like things. So within a corridor of a building u have a defensible position that greatly slows the attacker. This i think would really put an emphasis on close range fire fights. Usually, one side of the firefight will have a distinct advantage in cc. By adding in barricade like things with rules for them, that incentive to charge will not always be there.(ex. as much as I love firefights, im not gonna sit there and spray bolter rounds at IG when I can slaughter them in cc. but if I had disadvantages for charging, then i might stick around more).

marv335
28-10-2008, 01:38
The Edinburgh League of Gamers have a table that has magnatized bulkheads for just that kind of battle.
I'm planning to build one like it, but I've not gotten around to it.

cailus
28-10-2008, 01:41
Some pics of a cool space ship terrain board are included in the following battle report:

http://wargamereports.com/vefsida/battlereports/brp40k/brp40k3.html

Orkeosaurus
28-10-2008, 01:55
Don't forget that ships in the 40k universe are huge.
You could easily have a 6' by 4' battlefield as just a hanger inside a battleship or something along those lines.

If you perfected the whole "Killteam in close quarters" thing, you could even integrate it with a larger battle (taking control of the ships automated defenses or something). That would probably be pretty fun.

cailus
28-10-2008, 02:38
Don't forget that ships in the 40k universe are huge.
You could easily have a 6' by 4' battlefield as just a hanger inside a battleship or something along those lines.

True but where's the fun in that? :p

We want short range firefights in claustrophobic tunnels and between giant machines, catastrophic structural breaches that lead to models being sucked out into space all in a warzone where a Terminator is truly a God of War!

If you perfected the whole "Killteam in close quarters" thing, you could even integrate it with a larger battle (taking control of the ships automated defenses or something). That would probably be pretty fun.

That'd be super cool.

Firstborn
28-10-2008, 02:43
I always wanted to develop a system of linked games between the systems for a single, system wide battle.

First battle is fought in space using BFG rules.
Boarding actions are played out using Space Hulk rules.
If the attackers survive to reach the planet they launch landers.
These landers can be intercepted and destroyed in an Aeronautica Imperialis battle.
Survivers fight a series of Epic Armageddon (or Apoc would work, I suppose) battles.
Skirmishes over objectives (power plants etc) or supply routes are fought using 40k rules.
Either side may attempt to assassinate commanders or other key figures in between battles, which are played out using Necromunda rules.

All of these battles would be linked and the results of one will effect the other. If the attackers manage to crush the defending fleet, they gain extra reinforcements (i.e. points) in their ground battles.
If the defenders destroy a lot of the landers the attackers will not have access to as many troops (points).
If one side assassinates a prominant figure the other side may suffer reduced moral for the next battle.

A really good system could be quite easily developed I think which would make for really epic campaigns.

gamer2456
28-10-2008, 03:22
after reading Vraks part 2, I've really wanted to recreate the Krieg engineer's assault on the armory complex. that'd make for some great tunnel fighting.

AngryAngel
28-10-2008, 03:26
We were actually joking about in our LGS how cool a battle would be in a giant, board spanning building. Like have some areas that are the open grounds, and others just fighting through the ruins perhaps 6 or 7 stories high.

BladeWalker
28-10-2008, 03:33
You almost NEED overwatch rules to play in confined spaces, otherwise you get charged by things you can't even see in your turn.

cailus
28-10-2008, 03:41
You almost NEED overwatch rules to play in confined spaces, otherwise you get charged by things you can't even see in your turn.

2nd edition rules would work well here.

BladeWalker
28-10-2008, 03:45
2nd edition rules would work well here.

My thoughts exactly, little blue paper squares for everyone!

Lord Malorne
28-10-2008, 04:01
Might be a good idea to use the necromunda rules to play this...there's a thought :D.

Ddraiglais
28-10-2008, 04:50
http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/aiproducts.htm

cailus
28-10-2008, 05:24
http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/aiproducts.htm

If only I was made of money! :D

TheOverlord
28-10-2008, 05:39
It would be awesome, but you might need some extra rules for this is it's just standard 40k game.

And some armies might be totally gimped in this sort of terrain. But trenches would be absolutely awesome I think.

Shangrila
28-10-2008, 10:30
Sweet! IG vs Nids in space hulk... Its just like Aliens but i dont get sentry guns! wait.. im going to get owned :[

Mojaco
28-10-2008, 10:38
Yeah. It was called Space Hulk. ;-)

There were Kill Team rules for that kind of game on the old GW site, but I don't think they are on the new one yet.

EDIT - they're still up on the Australian site:
http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/gaming/spacehulk/default.htm

I played rules from the forgeworld site, which they released for the then new anthilian base or whatever. There were very cool! Definatly recommended.

Norsehawk
28-10-2008, 11:25
Another site you can use to get the stuff to make the setting you want: http://www.hirstarts.com/ molds for anything from sci-fi to ancient egyptian style things. You buy the mold and then you can make as many bricks as you want from it.

adreal
28-10-2008, 11:38
If you bought the $300 building set from GW you could make some corridor sections for games, would be pretty cool.....I might tyr and pull apart my building and give it a whirl, make modular board sections and link themup in all wierd and whacky ways, might actually make 40K come alive again rather hten just a shoot out over a ruined city scape

Sidstyler
28-10-2008, 11:41
I wish they'd bring back Space Hulk, that'd be cool. I'd like to make a Tau stealthsuit team or have an excuse to use my Salamanders terminators and genestealer models. :p

march10k
28-10-2008, 11:54
Yeah, i'm still going to (try) and make an indoors table, probabaly using the tunnel theme. I'm also thinking of a trench warfare and beach assault table :)

Well, it's 13 years in the future (due to knowing that I'll have to move 2-4 times between now and then), but I'm going to have a couple of modular tables. It might make me a few years (!!!), but it'll consist of 2'x2' sections that piece together into a 6'x4' or 8'x4' board. They'll start at least 3" thick in order to have room to have trenches, canals, and other excavations. At least two edges of each tile will come back to the 3" level in order to facilitate mating them to other tiles, and edges that aren't standard will be intended to mate with specific other nonstandard tiles, although they'll go in a corner with any set of tiles. I'll make trench tiles, forest/hill tiles, and city tiles. Enough that I can have a 6x4 table that's "pure" or mixed tables of any size. Big project, I know...but I can't wait. It's almost more exciting than planning to build a house. I'll have 2-3 tables in my basement, and of course I'll collect/build modular terrain pieces like those commonly seen in FLGSs, too.

I have thought about doing an indoor board, too...but I do have issues with the whole vehicle thing. I got a ton of inspiration from my trip to Europe this summer (venice, cologne). The MASSIVE cathedral in cologne gave me tons of inspiration as far as, ahem *gothic* architecture...took tons of pictures. I'll definitely draw on that for making cityfight terrain, but I'm also thinking about making a 4x6 sectional SoB shrine to fight in. With it being sectional, I could take two or three pieces of it to cover one board edge of a cityfight board, and I actually think it would be fluffy and aesthetically pleasing that it would dwarf the surrounding buildings.

Lord General Laumnem
28-10-2008, 11:59
I wish i had enough money...

As for the extra rules, i think a (quite sensible) No indirect fire or drop pod or deep strike policy, as theres a roof lol.

Firstborn
28-10-2008, 12:08
Well, it's 13 years in the future (due to knowing that I'll have to move 2-4 times between now and then), but I'm going to have a couple of modular tables. It might make me a few years (!!!), but it'll consist of 2'x2' sections that piece together into a 6'x4' or 8'x4' board. They'll start at least 3" thick in order to have room to have trenches, canals, and other excavations. At least two edges of each tile will come back to the 3" level in order to facilitate mating them to other tiles, and edges that aren't standard will be intended to mate with specific other nonstandard tiles, although they'll go in a corner with any set of tiles. I'll make trench tiles, forest/hill tiles, and city tiles. Enough that I can have a 6x4 table that's "pure" or mixed tables of any size. Big project, I know...but I can't wait. It's almost more exciting than planning to build a house. I'll have 2-3 tables in my basement, and of course I'll collect/build modular terrain pieces like those commonly seen in FLGSs, too.

If you model shoring or a wall along the edge of the raised boards then you can justify a shallow board next to a deep board section.

march10k
28-10-2008, 12:46
If you model shoring or a wall along the edge of the raised boards then you can justify a shallow board next to a deep board section.

True enough. There would be different ways to do it for different terrain types. For city, a wall is good, for fortifications, shoring, and for wilderness, a rock face...but 3" thick bases also make the terrain sturdier, and not having "random" drop-offs is better than having believable ones. I'll probably take your advice for the tiles that I mentioned that will have edges that don't come back to 3".