PDA

View Full Version : salamanders or speed freaks?

Boss Zagstruk
28-10-2008, 15:28
Ive got my bday coming up (21, am feeling old :confused:) and figured its a good xcuse to start a new army. Ive been thinking about 2 armies in mind but cant really decide which i prefer.

Salamanders or speed freaks?

Ive got a 1500pt sallys list in mind lead by vulkan. Lots of flamers, multi meltas and thunder hammers so it should be fun. Cant wait to convert vulkan :) But space marines seem a little to uniformed for me, might have 2 dream up some conversions. I like the idea of making a 1500pt list and have the scope to expand too.

Id want a 2500pt speed freaks army because theres so much goodness to fit into the list! Id take wazzdakka, nobs on war bikes, trukker boys warbikes battle wagons and an air devision with storm boys and deffkoptas. The army is wacky and random and the models are unreal! The conversions are endless and the amount of plastics mean ill be mixing pleanty of kits.

what pros and cons for both armies can you dream up? And if you feel that empowered, decide for me!

matt

Stormlord
28-10-2008, 16:01
Speed Freaks

too many space marine players right now.
Unless of course you enjoy fighting marine vs marine....ALOT.

besides, orks are FUN

Perfect Organism
28-10-2008, 16:21
Both armies are fairly low model count and easy to paint.

Salamanders are probably slightly more effective in play.

Speed Freaks are a huge amount of fun to build.

As an ork player, you never need to worry about why you are fighting another army.

Overall, I'd say Speed Freaks (but then, I would).

Da Black Gobbo
28-10-2008, 16:28
I'd say speed freaks, there are too many SM out there, don't be another one.

Ubermensch Commander
28-10-2008, 16:53
Salamanders. Because they are awesome.
Also, be careful about the "because everyone plays them" rationale. Let that be a minor deciding factor if a factor at all. If you enjoy an army it should be fun in most, if not all situations.

loveless
28-10-2008, 16:57
I've never been one to buy into the "Everyone plays Space Marines" mumbo-jumbo. It's a regional thing that dictates the majority army. Heck, I can remember when everyone played Chaos in my area, and there was a while where there were lots of Nids, and another time where it was lots of Tau. I don't think Space Marines have EVER been in the majority where I've played.

That being said...(and we all knew I was getting here)...I vote Salamanders - the only marines that truly care about the people of the Imperium (for reasons I barely comprehend) :D

victorpofa
28-10-2008, 20:23
I've never been one to buy into the "Everyone plays Space Marines" mumbo-jumbo. It's a regional thing that dictates the majority army. Heck, I can remember when everyone played Chaos in my area, and there was a while where there were lots of Nids, and another time where it was lots of Tau. I don't think Space Marines have EVER been in the majority where I've played.

That being said...(and we all knew I was getting here)...I vote Salamanders - the only marines that truly care about the people of the Imperium (for reasons I barely comprehend)

<cough>Space Wolves<cough> :D

I agree with ignoring the "there are too many marines!" whiners. That should not be a factor since you are the one who has to buy, build, and paint the army.

I am working on a Speed Freeks army and plan on making Salamanders in the future so I know exactly where you are coming from with excitement about both. I would recommend you decide based on which model range you like the best, economics (how much is my planned army going to cost), and how much time you are going to have for the hobby if you want to play in the next year. ;)

Just remember Speed Freeks still need boys in those Trukks and Wagons. My Speed Freeks 1500 point list has over 50 boys along with two battlewagons and 16 bikes (including the Warboss). My 1500 point foot slogger list had about 100 Orks in it. :eek: Compare that to about 30-40 marines plus vehicles at 1500 points.

Since I myself am doing both armies I can't recommend one over the other, but whichever you choose good luck and have fun! (And see if you can use Black Reach to jump start both armies :evilgrin:).

Gegenberg
28-10-2008, 20:36
I'd vote for Orks. Mostly cause I had the same dilemma, and chose SM cause I didn't want to paint all those orks. Orks are awesome, though. Also I hate painting cloth, and Space Marines tend not to have them.

TwoByFour
28-10-2008, 20:50
Why not just buy Assault on Black Reach, and see what you prefer?
No matter which army you choose, you are going to get a pretty good deal, and you would be able to paint up a few figures,
play a few games at low points and so on.
Afterward, you could sell off the surplus models or, alternatively, have a combat patrol right off the bat.
It would suck to start orks, and then find out you can't stand painting skin.. or vice versa, with power armour.

Oh, and happy birthday! If you feel old now, just wait till you turn 23...
THEN it'll hit you! :D

mark.k
28-10-2008, 21:01
if you are doing salamanders i found this item on ebay the other day
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280279575051&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=018

looks cool i think

Boss Zagstruk
29-10-2008, 11:37
thanks for the replies :) ive decided that im gonna paint up my free AOBR models i got from white dwarf and see which 1 i enjoy doing the most and thatll be my army. Ill post them 2 :)