PDA

View Full Version : Damn you Star Wars!!!

vinush
28-10-2008, 20:52
I don't know if anyone has suffered from the same fate as me, but watching Star Wars made me want to do an IG army.

My army's colour scheme was based on Imperial uniforms from Star Wars.

And now I'm thinking of painting a steel legion officer as Darth Vader. Is this wrong?

What rules can I use for the model? An Inquisitor perhaps?

Any opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

\/ince

Skink Master
28-10-2008, 21:03
I've been keen on doing an IG Storm Trooper army (Grenadiers, Storm Troopers, and allied Daemonhunters/Witchhunters for the two allied ST units) and painting the soldiers up like Stormtroopers, in the white/black scheme.

Inquisitor Lord for Darth Vader with ablative armour in the form of his "Personal Stormtrooper Bodyguard."

Sentinels = AT-STs

Lots of modelling oppotunities.

I was also gonna do an IG army based on the rebel forces at Hoth. Gun turrets for Heavy Weapons, lots of infantry, no vehicles.

Very white.

Borg451
28-10-2008, 21:07
:S

well.. to me and to most Star Wars enters our minds first and more then the 40k Universe..

so to me.. its like the other way round.. if you know what i mean.. like i think of the SW Emporer and Imperials before i think of the 40k ones..

If you did do a SWish army maybe dont do it exactly like it.. but based on it..

dont have an actual model as Ani.. but have one inspired by him.. also.. give him an entourage..

vinush
28-10-2008, 21:51
The models I was going to use are the 3rd down in the left hand column, or the second in the right hand column.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat1300112&rootCatGameStyle=

Nephilim of Sin
28-10-2008, 21:55
I personally came up with a Space Marine list for this reason, but it never went anywhere (and that was back when Psykers/Librarians had powers).

I really like the idea of themed models/units/armies to certain for those 'awesome' movies or stories, but the problem is there are so few good ones now we are pretty limited in our choice for inspiration.

gunbunny242
28-10-2008, 22:01
I think we've all at least thought about the star wars thing. I know I have a tau fire warrior, eldar guardian and a space marine painted as stormtroopers somewhere....and my tau army is in boba fetts colours

Deus Mechanicus
28-10-2008, 22:18
I actually saw this kind of army at a tournament i was in (didn't play against it thoug). It basicly had guardsmen as stormtroopers, Sentinels as those walkers, Rough Riders as those jungle jet bikers on Endor (hehe no star wars expert but you get the drift) and an inquisitor lord as Darth Vader with those red hooded guys with him (don't know what they represented in game) all was perfectly converted and looked just like the star wars equivelant. Was quite pleasing to the eye actually.

Lisiecki
28-10-2008, 22:21
:S

dont have an actual model as Ani.. but have one inspired by him.. also.. give him an entourage..

Ani?

Dont know that name, i have to assume you mean Anakin Skywalker. who was killed by a young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of Old Ben's until he
turned to evil, and helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi
Knights. He betrayed and murdered Skywalker.

Borg451
28-10-2008, 22:30
[QUOTE=vinush;3045711]The models I was going to use are the 3rd down in the left hand column, or the second in the right hand column.

u can paste the image locations u know..

vinush
28-10-2008, 22:33
Can I? How?

\/ince

Wolfblade670
28-10-2008, 22:41
...who was killed by a young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of Old Ben's until he turned to evil, and helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered Skywalker.

I only wish he had, then we could have been spared Hayden Christenson's decidely horrible acting.

Wolfblade670
28-10-2008, 22:41
*Freak double post. Mods please remove at earliest convenience.*

Templar Ben
28-10-2008, 22:54
You should look at Chrome Dog's SM list.

http://www.ageofstrife.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1671

Borg451
28-10-2008, 23:16
Ani?

Dont know that name, i have to assume you mean Anakin Skywalker. who was killed by a young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of Old Ben's until he
turned to evil, and helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi
Knights. He betrayed and murdered Skywalker.

Ani IS Darth Vader...

that is why his char is so interesting.. aint interesting if its a completly diff character.. that took over or posessed him..

Lord Cook
29-10-2008, 00:53
I think it's fairly safe to assume Lisiecki knows that Anakin is Darth Vader; I suspect he was just putting forward the 'in character' myth within Star Wars, as seen by the characters.

As for me, I can't say Star Wars has ever inspired me to do anything within 40k, but my Imperial Guard have very similar uniforms to the Mobile Infantry in Starship Troopers, and I'm pretty sure I collected Tyranids because of that film as well.

chromedog
29-10-2008, 00:58
@Templar Ben: thanks for the vote.

Yeah, I'm using SM for mine.
Chaplain as my "Darth Vader" (the DA special character - Asmodeus or something). "Alois Vater" (more machine than man, and a pun to boot. My dad grew up in Holland, and Alois is a coomon name where he was from - and Vater is dutch for father).
My tacticals are all 501st legion colours (white with blue detailing).
My Assault squads are Jet Troopers (green markings).
My Command squads wear the white/red of Palpatine's "Shocktroopers"

My speeders all have the trifoil wing pattern (think imperial shuttle).
My dreads have chicken legs.
I am working on a squad of biker scouts on skimmerbikes. Not SW speederbikes, more akin to the older metal jetbikes (ie, NOT the mk14 bullock).

The Guy
29-10-2008, 01:08
Jawas = Badass Ratlings
Speeder bikes = Badass rough riders
Sentinels = Badass At-Sts

Umm...yeah

Inquisitor lord in terminator armour* = Darth Vader

*This doesn't need to be actually modelled on, Darth Vader is that Badass

Combine tac marines with tau pulse rifles and no shoulder pads and you got yourself some clones.

Also Wookies = Badass Ogryns

Lisiecki
29-10-2008, 01:54
Ani IS Darth Vader...

that is why his char is so interesting.. aint interesting if its a completly diff character.. that took over or posessed him..

No idea what your talking about, all we know about anikin is that he was the best starpilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. I understand his son become quite a good pilot him self. And he was a good friend.

Lord vader; Dark Lord of the Sith.
Witch Hunter Inquisitor Lord
Armour: Power Armour
Integrated Auspex, Bionics, Psi Tracker, Psychic Hood, Psyocculum, Rosarious.

Weapons:
Eviscerater. Force Weapon, Excruciators, Hex Wards

Firaxin
29-10-2008, 05:31
If we're talking space marines, Cassius = Vader.

Kveld-Ulf
29-10-2008, 05:37
I've actually seen an Inquisitor Vader somewhere.. let me see if I can find a picture for you.

Wookie Ogryns! You want it!

Here's that Vader for you:
http://www.fightingtigersofveda.com/vader.JPG

Clang
29-10-2008, 05:40
I'm surprised we don't see a lot more white space marines emulating the Imperial StormTrooper look. Maybe too many gamers have discovered that white armour isn't as easy to paint as it looks...

El Haroldo
29-10-2008, 05:47
for your inquisitiorial darth vader retinue...

<---------------------------

I get A LOT of p.m's regarding it, so now that there's an appropriate avenue.

1. get Kasrkin sergeant
2. creatively kit bash and do a nice paint job
3. ??????
4. profit

Kveld-Ulf
29-10-2008, 06:07
This would also be an obvious choice.

But he might be a bit short.

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/hv019.htm

Lisiecki
29-10-2008, 06:28
Inqusiter Boba Fett
Canoness (don't ask me how that happened)
Melta Bombs
Jump Pack, St. Aspira
Litanies of Faith
Mantel of Ophelia

Strom Bolter
In. Pistol

Shangrila
29-10-2008, 06:39
All my imperial guard pilots have orange jumpsuits. X wings.. ergh i mean Thunderbolts ho!

Hellebore
29-10-2008, 08:22
Ani IS Darth Vader...

I think it's fairly safe to assume Lisiecki knows that Anakin is Darth Vader; I suspect he was just putting forward the 'in character' myth within Star Wars, as seen by the characters.

As for me, I can't say Star Wars has ever inspired me to do anything within 40k, but my Imperial Guard have very similar uniforms to the Mobile Infantry in Starship Troopers, and I'm pretty sure I collected Tyranids because of that film as well.

I think perhaps that Lisiecki is saying:

No idea what your talking about, all we know about anikin is that he was the best starpilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. I understand his son become quite a good pilot him self. And he was a good friend.

Lord vader; Dark Lord of the Sith.
Witch Hunter Inquisitor Lord
Armour: Power Armour
Integrated Auspex, Bionics, Psi Tracker, Psychic Hood, Psyocculum, Rosarious.

Weapons:
Eviscerater. Force Weapon, Excruciators, Hex Wards

That any claim that there was a story before episode 4 a New Hope is exaggerated. Darth Vader is Darth Vader. There was no episode 1...

Hellebore

totgeboren
29-10-2008, 08:57
hmmm. Once when I was sleeping I dreamt that I had just imagined episode 1-3, and I was so happy when I realised it was just in my head.

Then I woke up, and I wept.

haha, nah, j/k. Im not really that much of a starwars fan, but yeah, sure, there are some nice things you can use for inspiration from the SW movies.

I have seen some Tau Firewarriors painted as white stormtroopers, they looked really good. Same for the metal kasrkin. :)

The Caliban Lion
29-10-2008, 09:05
That any claim that there was a story before episode 4 a New Hope is exaggerated. Darth Vader is Darth Vader. There was no episode 1...

Hellebore

But Darth Vader was revealed to be Anakin Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back, not in E1. :confused: It isn't like they made that up in the new movies.

Hellebore
29-10-2008, 09:55
But Darth Vader was revealed to be Anakin Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back, not in E1. :confused: It isn't like they made that up in the new movies.

The name "Ani" comes from Ep1 kiddie vader though. Of course he could be a hardline minority that believes Ep4 is the ONLY episode...

Hellebore

vinush
29-10-2008, 11:13
Having deliberated for quite some time (Ok, overnight) I've decided to ignore the force powers, and go with Commissar for the model.

Equip him with Refractor Field, Carapace Armour, Bionics, Power sword and Bolter (To represent some sort of destructive capabilities).

"I find your lack of faith disturbing..."

\/ince

Lisiecki
29-10-2008, 13:04
I think perhaps that Lisiecki is saying:
Hellebore

Anakin was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was Anakin was destroyed. So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view.You will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. Anakin was a good friend. When Obi-Wan first knew him, Anakin was already a great pilot. But Obi-Wan was amazed how strongly the Force was with him. Obi-Wan took it upon him self to train Anakin as a Jedi. Obi-Wan thought that he could instruct Anakin just as well as Yoda. Obi-Wan was wrong.He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil.

Im gona tell ya, it amazes me that this is a message board where people will argue to death over things written in objective narration in the books, but we take everything said in starwars as truth

El_Phen
29-10-2008, 13:18
I too am waiting for Episodes I-III to be released. I have heard that some low-quality, badly acted fakes have been distributed but I'd rather wait for the REAL ones that DON'T have Darth Vader being a whining idiot whose 'Turn to the Dark Side' amounts to "Want to be evil? Umm Ok."*

With regards to what army/how to do 'em. I reccomend 2nd edition space marines as their static poses remind me an awful lot of thestorm troopers on the Death Star lined up in rows holding their blasters. I also have a Vader looking Librarian. He rocks.

* Actual speech may contain more words and bad acting. Please consult a physician before watching Hayden Christensen "act".

Lisiecki
29-10-2008, 13:27
I too am waiting for Episodes I-III to be released. I have heard that some low-quality, badly acted fakes have been distributed but I'd rather wait for the REAL ones that DON'T have Darth Vader being a whining idiot whose 'Turn to the Dark Side' amounts to "Want to be evil? Umm Ok."*

My self I am waiting for Horus Herisy Novels to be released. I have heard that some low-quality, badly written fakes have been distributed but I'd rather wait for the REAL ones that DON'T have Horus being a whining idiot whose 'Turn to choas' amounts to "Want to be evil? Will that make my daddy love me more?"

WilhelmRochRedDuke
29-10-2008, 14:19
unfortunately, my paint scheme has the white armour and is compared with star wars alot... Though, I DID NOT TRY TO GO With a Star Wars theme. people will make that connection anyway.. I do Like Star wars and love the cast/characters and war machines and such.. I don't want to have a Star wars tag placed on my army... oh well.

Dangersaurus
29-10-2008, 19:15

Darth Vader said he was Luke's father, but there was no proof until RotJ. As a hopeful little kid I just couldn't believe Vader, rather than Obi-Wan, was the one telling the truth.

Coasty
29-10-2008, 21:20
Completely off topic (whatever that actually was, again...) have you noticed that one of the Nobs in the 2nd wave Ork releases looks like an Orky-Vader? He's even doing the 'We can rule the galaxy as father and son...' fist clench...

I'm going to use him as a warphead and assume that 'Frazzle' is force lightning and 'Zzap' is actually force choke/push/crush (delete as appropriate).

PLR
29-10-2008, 22:30
I considered doing a Tau army with a Storm Tropper theme...
The look isn't the same, but the rules seem to fit:
- There are lots of them
- They can't shoot things very well
- Their armour isn't good for much
- They die in combat to Ewoks...
A nice Black converted Battle Suit for Vader would work as well.

PLus with the the weird vehicles the Clones have, we have to assume the Storm Troopers had similar, Tau tanks would work for those.

Lisiecki
29-10-2008, 22:46
Darth Vader said he was Luke's father, but there was no proof until RotJ. As a hopeful little kid I just couldn't believe Vader, rather than Obi-Wan, was the one telling the truth.

You know when I was a kid, I made my dad teach me sign language so I could communicate with my deaf sister. I ended up closer to her than with anyone.
Is any of that true?
Mostly. My dad died before I was born.
Wait a minute I met your dad!
You met a man.

Kaihlik
29-10-2008, 22:58
I'm doing a white armour/black cloth Kasrkin army but not because of Star Wars. I saw one painted up in a White Dwarf article when the Witch Hunter army came out and have wanted to do one ever since. I have finally got round to doing it but the army is also going to be Mechanised so im not sure if the new guard army will allow me to do it.

MaliGn
30-10-2008, 00:12
You know when I was a kid, I made my dad teach me sign language so I could communicate with my deaf sister. I ended up closer to her than with anyone.
Is any of that true?
Mostly. My dad died before I was born.
Wait a minute I met your dad!
You met a man.

You're dropping Scrubs into a debate about Star Wars? Genius!

Incidentally, while I happen to not mid the latest trio of Star Wars movies I do wish that the end of RotJ hadn't been re-edited to feature Hayden Christiansen as the ghost of Anakin Skywalker, since as both Obi-Wan and Yoda appeared as their older selves, why would Anakin revert to youth?

Anyway making your 40k figs look like Star Wars smacks of a lack of imagination, and tends to get you a smack upside the head from, GW, Lucasfilm and anyone with any sense; and who cares if a power sword sounds like it might be a bit like a light saber.

chromedog
30-10-2008, 00:52
I couldn't care less if my theme gets me a smack upside the head from GW. Or gets me labelled as having a "lack of imagination". Not like 40k used original concepts, now, is it? Cribbed from a dozen different disparate sources, and welded together with all the subtlety of a neighbourhood chop-shop. I'm a Sw fan who happens to miniatures game (and if SW miniatures weren't so crap, I'd play them) - take your elitism and stow it in the nearest garbage compactor.

Besides, they're "my miniatures, and I'm doing with them as I see fit." as I'm allowed to.

I have fluff that fits with both SW and 40k (clones exist in both). I'm using the models that best represent my fluff. Besides - at least they're not Ultramarines.

Apocalypse
30-10-2008, 02:56
Good for you man... Did you know that GW forbids us from combining their "Intellectual Property" with those of other companies?
This kinda garbage makes me wanna do a star wars theme too...

El Haroldo
30-10-2008, 04:22
Besides, they're "my miniatures, and I'm doing with them as I see fit." as I'm allowed to.

From http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081020-big-brother-is-watching-and-listening-sonys-new-ps3-tos.html

The other section heavily modified has to do with user-created content. With LittleBigPlanet and Guitar Hero: World Tour allowing you to create whole songs and levels respectively, Sony wants to make sure they can use whatever you create without being caught in any legal entanglements. "To the extent permitted by law, You authorize and license SCEA a royalty free and perpetual right to use, distribute, copy, modify, display, and publish your User Material for any reason without any restrictions or payments to you or any third parties," Sony explains. "You further agree that SCEA may sublicense its rights to any third party, including its affiliates and subsidiaries. You hereby waive all claims, including any moral rights, against SCEA, its affiliates and subsidiaries for SCEA or any other third party's use of User Material to the extent permitted by applicable law." You make it, they own itódone deal... according to your user agreement.

Love the way people hate on GW wanting to protect their IP while companies get away with substantially more and rarely does anyone blink an eyelid.

vladsimpaler
30-10-2008, 04:27
Stole your idea. Sorry!

Right down to the grey Sentinel...

chromedog
30-10-2008, 06:17
I don't particularly care about GWs unenforceable restrictions. There are other games companies out there, and they also get my money.
I don't play in GW stores.
We don't have GTs here anymore, and I haven't bothered going to GDs - regardless of who else is there - for the last 9 years.

They could possibly retract permission for me to use their ruleset with my kitbashed frankensteins, but I'd just switch to another system that isn't so fascist about having to use minis from company X (and only theirs). Besides, I don't recall having to read a EULA at POS before I completed a purchase. Can you imagine?

" The purchaser agrees that these gaming pieces are to be used exclusively with and around the GW IP known as 'Warhamer 40,000' and for no other purposes (this includes model dioramas, games from other manufacturers and anything else we haven't thought of yet). Failure to comply with these restrictions shall yield the purchaser's entire collection of GW IP related products forfiet and subject to confiscation, whereupon they shall be stomped unto the earth, and yea, verily, the perpetrator shall be known amongst his kin as 'anathema' forevermore."

whitewolfmxc
30-10-2008, 06:26
ThANKS GUYS lol i just bought that Dwarf Veder mini XD now waiting for it to arrive XD should add a good beginning for a new Star wars chaos force

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 13:39
You're dropping Scrubs into a debate about Star Wars? Genius!

There is no conversation that Scrubs is not relivent to

Incidentally, while I happen to not mid the latest trio of Star Wars movies I do wish that the end of RotJ hadn't been re-edited to feature Hayden Christiansen as the ghost of Anakin Skywalker, since as both Obi-Wan and Yoda appeared as their older selves, why would Anakin revert to youth?

I justfiy it as that was the last time he was Anikin Skywalker

Also and im just throwing this out there, the only proff we have that Vader is Lukes father, is ObiWan and Vaders statments.
Old Ben has proven that hes willing to lie and manipulate for the grater good.
And vader, he freaking blew up a planet, im sure hes ok with playing head games.
Now, im not denying that Padme is Lukes mother, but Anikin was gone alot, im sure she got lonely

EldarWolf
30-10-2008, 15:50

Does it count that when the Star Wars RPG first came out, I used the original 'beaky' marines for stormtroopers?

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 17:01

I feel i should point out, that every thing i said about him is something that old ben said in the movies

Galatan
30-10-2008, 17:23
For the Star Wars fans, here's (http://s481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/Da_Klub/Warhammer%2040k%20GT%202008/?action=view&current=IMG_2246.jpg) a pic of a star wars army made at the latest dutch GT. Actually quite well done IMHO.

borithan
30-10-2008, 20:04
I considered doing a Tau army with a Storm Tropper theme...
The look isn't the same, but the rules seem to fit:
- They can't shoot things very wellActually, the only time we see them against proper soldiers (Hoth, and the boarding scene at the beginning of Epidosde 4) they absolutely waste the enemy. True, at Hoth they might have had overwhelming firepower and support to get them in, but boarding the spaceship they had to get through a door, which was defended by several troopers, and the seemed to loose about 2 guys getting through... imprtessive if you ask me. The rest of the time it was characters with plotanium based armour, which clearly makes them invulnerable.

- Their armour isn't good for muchTau armour is good for something... though I agree with Stormtroopers' armour being absolutely useless. Like Flak.

- They die in combat to Ewoks...
Hmm... highly embarrasing incident, that made no sense in any reality, even the Star Wars one, but I guess it must again be put down to the furry ones similarly being gifted with plotanium tech.

Lord Cook
30-10-2008, 20:09
I feel i should point out, that every thing i said about him is something that old ben said in the movies

That's why I said you were talking in character.

Spyros80
08-11-2008, 09:20
Here is my test model for a Guard Storm-Trooper I did once upon a time. :cool:

the overlord
08-11-2008, 10:30
Found some pictures of another guy that made a Starwars inspired army. Think he used Imperial Guard for his army list.

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee151/nayamek/2008%20Dutch%20GT%20WH%2040000%2025%2026%20oktober/Miniature%20Pictures/

chromedog
08-11-2008, 10:46
Some nice work there. He's gone for an Inquisitor theme, I see.

"The truth depends a great deal upon your point of view".