PDA

View Full Version : Too WAAAGH, or to Khorne that is the question.

Justicar_Freezer
28-10-2008, 23:30
Hey folks. I've been asking questions about a lot of different armies lately but that's because I am trying to pick my last 40k army to paint up until they redo Arbites or squats that is heh.

So right now I've got it down to 2 choices. These choices are mostly based on cool modelling chances and the ability to play a fun narrative game against my friends guard or my other friends Eldar. Oh and lastly they are based on getting away from 3+ save.

Choice #1 is Orks. I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the greenskins in 40k ever since second edition when I played against them and watched their boys fall out of trukks and die which was simply amusing. Needless to say I am tempted to go green. At the moment I'm thinking a freebootas army with big meks lots of flash gits and lootas as well as a battlewagon and maybe some looted wagons.

All of the vehicles would be converted to look piratey meaning I'd go to the toy store and get me some pirate ship toys and cut them up to stick their prows and afts onto my trukks and wagons, not sure how I'd convert up the boys however. Peg legs would be a given might have to try my hand at making hats.

Choice #2 is Khornate Guard. I've had an itch to do a khorne army for awhile now and this might just be my chance. Now I would be using the current codex and probably keep using it even after the new one came out because my group wouldn't mind.

Now this army would be all conversation. I'd be making my troops either out of Catachans and Chaos Marauders, or Catachans and Beastmen. I would be using the priests doctrine to represent the champions of Khorne driving the massed on. These I would represent with Warhammer Champions of Khorne with a pistol added here or there.

As for vehicles I was thinking only sentinels because they can have saws and other bits mounted on them. Though I might throw in some hellhounds and see about mounting a bloody cauldron on them to represent engines of Khorne spewing hot gouts of boiling blood.

So my question to you my fellow warseers is this. Which army do you think would be more fun to build up, convert, paint and play with. Also as my opponent which army would you find more interesting and fun to play against? Hopefully your answers will help me get off the fence I'm on now and decide.

slayerofmen
29-10-2008, 00:06
cadian box + beastmen box+ green stuff= blood pack army modeled with armour!

do it, I've yet to see it done really well I've got high hopes

iwasfrozen
29-10-2008, 00:14
Orkz are very fun to play with/against, 30 boyz charging into battle BS of 3 but some of it has to hit. :)

Ganymene
29-10-2008, 00:21
Orks. They have a lot of personality and much more conversion potential.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they don't like playing with/against Orks.

Justicar_Freezer
29-10-2008, 00:37
so that's 2 Orks, and 1 Chaos so far.

Just so everyone knows if I did the guard army it wouldn't be in the line of bloodpact. Instead it would be a collection of mad rabble pressing forward in the name of Khorne and slaughter. I'd use doctrines like warrior weapons, priests, special weapon squads, hardened fighters, and either orgryns, conscripts of possibly chem inhalers.

slayerofmen
30-10-2008, 08:55
wow hold up there, you wanna use doctrines, well see that might have you run into an issue in acouple of months time when the new dex comes out, play orks

willydstyle
30-10-2008, 10:25
For actual effectiveness, Orks are way better than guard tooled for CC. A guardsman with warrior weapons comes to about 8 points a model, an ork with a shoota comes to 6, is better in CC, and waaay better at shooting.

On the other hand, the guard army would have a lot of "cool points" for being highly converted, original, and flavorful.

T_55
30-10-2008, 10:27
Khorne guard because they look better.

Nicha11
30-10-2008, 11:22
Orkz are very fun to play with/against, 30 boyz charging into battle BS of 3 but some of it has to hit. :)

Orks have a bs of 2 ;)

Go for Orks so many possibilities! /drool

Justicar_Freezer
31-10-2008, 21:49
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm leaning towards the Khorne Guard because of the conversations and the over all feel but orks haven't lost out yet.

To the doctrine question. With my group it won't matter that a new imperial guard codex is coming out they will allow me to use the old one with doctrines. Heck we still have guys running the old chaos codex and I still run the old Blood Angles pamphlet er I mean codex simply because we're a laid back group who is in it for fun. I don't intend on attending any tourneys or the like simply for the atmosphere.

Again thanks guys, I'm going to toy around with some 2,000pt lists and see which ones I like best. Maybe once I pick an army if I can get a digital cam I'll start a log...never know.

toymaker
31-10-2008, 21:55
I'd say Khorne. It isn't just the fact that I am working on 2000 points for them, more that I love doing Chaos conversions. Very rewarding. And Chaos is the ultimate bad guy. Can't go wrong there.