PDA

View Full Version : What's a Space Pup to do?

Overt_Spy
29-10-2008, 06:01
I'm writing this because at the moment, I'm a bit confused about starting up the Space Wolves or a similarily oriented chapter...

Main problem is their codex is out of production, or it's damn well hidden for purchase online. I've checked ebay, but all I've found are previous edition versions (I mean before their "current" 3rd edition version) and the few current ones were going for $30.

I know the Wolves aren't due for a new codex for a while, at best I've heard sometime in 2009. So, what are young space pups to do? It seems odd that GW would pull the codex if it's still what's supposed to be used to play them...

Would there be a lot of grief just using the new C:SM? I know, some will cry "powergamer" or "cheesy", but honestly, It's real hard to find a copy of C: SW now-a-days. What are some good count's as options using C:SM? Is using the Blood Angels dex a little more accurate? Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Lisiecki
29-10-2008, 06:36
I'm writing this because at the moment, I'm a bit confused about starting up the Space Wolves or a similarily oriented chapter...

As well you should, there the r0xx0r

Main problem is their codex is out of production, or it's damn well hidden for purchase online. I've checked ebay, but all I've found are previous edition versions (I mean before their "current" 3rd edition version) and the few current ones were going for $30.

Um?
So?

Instead of buying Codex: Space Wolves for $30
your going to buy Codex: Space Marines for $30?

This happens to me often on this message board, where people give ideas, and i have no idea what there going for.

Insteed of paying $30 for something you want
Your going to pay $30 for something you don't want, but is its possible to emulate the thing you do want, but not really?

Inquisitor Engel
29-10-2008, 06:51
You could always email Jervis personally. ;) He's a fan of the Wolves.

Peril
29-10-2008, 06:59
You could use the SM codex if you wanted. Obviously some of the Wargear and whatnot isn't there but:

Honour Guard
Venerable Dread
Scouts
Vanguard without Jump Packs - alot like your elite fighty units
Combat Squad Devs - alot like Longtooths

You can make a pretty darned good approximation until you get a proper list.

RFT
29-10-2008, 11:14

This happens to me often on this message board, where people give ideas, and i have no idea what there going for.

Your going to pay $30 for something you don't want, but is its possible to emulate the thing you do want, but not really?

because Codex: space wolves isn't standalone and needs an SM Codex to work, so either way he's got to fork out for C:SM.

It would be awkward to use the Marine codex to do a SW force as while bolter-armed Grey Hunters can be subbed by vanilla tac squads without heavy weapons, blood claws and scouts are very different to how the codex chapters do things (blood claws being essentially a scout statline with power armour and berserk charge, scouts being full-fledged marines in scout armour).

So you could make something approaching an SW force, and I don't think anyone would accuse you of powergaming as to you'd be losing access to both the SW's special tricks (muchos powerweapons, bloodclaws, et al) and the neato stuff you can do with the marine codex as none of it's really suitable for wolves.

I'd suggest just getting an SW codex and then restricting yourself to those units that you don't need to refer to C:SM for. it's not actually all that much.

the cautious plan would be to save your money until the new coedx is released, so when it drops, you can then get a large army without worryiong about the above issues and the possiblity that squads equipped under the current codex won't be legal any more.

fritsk
29-10-2008, 11:38
I downloaded a pdf version of the codex from the german GW site a few months ago. It's in german, but readable enough to get an idea of the army list.

Drongol
29-10-2008, 13:02
Why not just get Army Builder and download the files for Space Wolves? I mean, sure, it's not 100% complete, but you will get the rules, an explanation of what they do (I'm pretty sure, anyways), and be able to put together legal lists much more easily.

Drongol

Thud
29-10-2008, 13:44
My advice is to just use the Space Marine codex until a new Space Wolves codex is released. It's not much difference anyway, plus it'd be a lot easier using a 5th edition codex than a 3rd edition codex, considering you'll be playing 5th edition. ;)

ehlijen
29-10-2008, 13:51
The space wolf codex has been out of the stores for a while now. Making it work is a headache though as the the codex it was referring to is now 2 editions ahead of it...

My advice: Use the BA for now (model the DC as wulfen) as it's free and wait for the new wolf dex.

Jo Bennett
29-10-2008, 15:02
@ OP: sent you a PM.

Bjorn
29-10-2008, 15:49
hehe times like this I am glad I kept my mangled version safe.

Sure it has no cover and the wargear summery is missing (what a shame, looks like I have to refer to C: SM for all my weapon rules ;p) but I loves it
l

imperial_scholar
29-10-2008, 17:05
You could always email Jervis personally. ;) He's a fan of the Wolves.

Could you PM me his email address?! lol

theHandofGork
29-10-2008, 17:07
Space Wolves are Space Marines- shocking, I know. You have a codex for 5th edition. DE, Necrons, & Guard do not have a 4th edition codex yet. You're in the back of a very long line my friend.

Overt_Spy
29-10-2008, 17:30
Thanks for all the replies guys, as well as the PM's.

I know that Wolves are Marines, and as such have the good ole 5th edition 'dex to use, but I have read a lot of players making fits about DA, BA, and CSM using the 5th edition 'dex, so I kinda assumed there might be such a backlash with the SW.

I just thought the wolves are in an awkward position, since the codex is no longer available (except through second hand options), but obviously still supported (as there's a SW errata for using it with the new codex.) I figured the community may have a sort of position on what Wolves players, or more importantly new Wolves players should do.

ankara halla
29-10-2008, 17:43
Well, as has allready been pointed out, even if you do play your Space Wolfes with the SW codex, you'll need to get the SM codex anyway, since the SW codex is allmost useless without it (it was printed back in the day when common units among space marines were simply referred to, so it lacks quite a few stats and points for units you can/could/should use).

With that in mind, get the SM codex first. Read thru it, see if you can build an army you'd like to play from it alone (very possible, be creative) until SW get their new 'dex (no more than two years at worst, they'll be the next SM codex GW publishes).

Then again, if you feel like it, go ahead and buy the current SW 'dex. It's not bad as far as 3rd ed. 'dexes go, but keep in mind that'll you'll need the SM codex anyway and that the SW codex will be obsolete relatively soon.

Personally, I'd go with either the SM codex (current, good armylist that allows you to try out many different combinations) or the BA codex (it's free and... well, it's free) which will give you a list to play with marines until the next SW codex hits the shelves.

And remember, you can paint and model your marines any colour you like (afterall, they are your miniatures) and play with them using any list you like. As long as you make sure the opponent knows what list/codex you are using, it's all good.

Zorz Muaddieb
29-10-2008, 18:42
You can email/call GW Canada for a PDF of the wolf dex. You should purchase the new dex regardless.

-Z

ShadowDeth
29-10-2008, 18:56
Blood angels honestly emulate them very well, and it's a free pdf off of the webpage.

Call Death company "wulfen", and don't give them jump packs. Done.

Bran Dawri
29-10-2008, 20:41
Space Wolves are Space Marines- shocking, I know. You have a codex for 5th edition. DE, Necrons, & Guard do not have a 4th edition codex yet. You're in the back of a very long line my friend.

Err, what?
Only codex in that list older than the Wolves' is the Dark Eldar...

Inquisitor Engel
29-10-2008, 20:43
Could you PM me his email address?! lol

It's at the back of every WD in the "Standard Bearer" article is it not? (Or is it just the physical address?)

theHandofGork
29-10-2008, 21:35
Err, what?
Only codex in that list older than the Wolves' is the Dark Eldar...

Except you could use the Space Marine codex, since Space Wolves are, after all, Space Marines, just with more body hair and stank. If you're a DE player you can only use the DE codex, ditto for IG and Necrons.

Temprus
29-10-2008, 22:31
Except you could use the Space Marine codex, since Space Wolves are, after all, Space Marines, just with more body hair and stank. If you're a DE player you can only use the DE codex, ditto for IG and Necrons.
While you have to use the new codex for rules/wargear/parts of the Army List for SW, on page 24, it says you can't use it to actually play SW, BT or BA as such "divergent Chapters play little part in this volume, for this is the tale of the Ultramarines, and all those who follow their example." :angel:

Bjorn
29-10-2008, 22:39
Well cant Dark Eldar just use the Eldar list? After all Eldar are Eldar?

Using the Space Marine codex to play Space Wolves is exactly the same.

An Abomination!

Also the SW codex is older than the DE. DE had a 2nd printing (same as Dark Angels) in 3rd ed. So SW is the oldest without any changes

victorpofa
29-10-2008, 23:15

The Space Wolf codex is actually the oldest codex that's still legal. Dark Eldar's "Second Edition" reprint that made them usable was published after the Sons of Russ. Add in that it requires another separate book to function (ie Codex Space Marines) and they should be priority number one. They are not Gray Smurfs. They use the Codex for toilet paper. While all those codices do need updates very badly they are not more deserving of an update just because Warseer has a problem with Space Marines. End of the line indeed. :eyebrows:

To the OP I would recommend buying the Space Marine book and downloading the German free pdf. I found it and downloaded a copy in about 2 minutes. The options look only moderately difficult to piece together. Energiewaffe is probably Power Weapon, and Energiefaust is probably Power Fist for example. $30 for the Wolf Mini-Dex is a ripoff.

Good luck.

Edit: Scooped by Bjorn on the oldest codex thing. Well said.

Sir_Turalyon
30-10-2008, 02:59
If I were to proxy Space Wolves I would probably use Codex:Chaos Space Marines rather then loyalists. Big squads of Marines as effective as if they had True Grit are main point here (good luck with representing them with vanilla/Blood Angels loyalists!), but versitale bikers and exotic cult / posessed troops that can represent Wulfen don't hurt eighter.

Apocalypse
30-10-2008, 04:12
You like the wolves, go with the wolves. They will be getting a new codex soon(they are next of the marines) and you can always float around and use either the space wolf or new SM codex as you wish in the meantime.
Follow your heart young pup, or you could always join the sons of sanguinius, most noble and loyal of all primarchs... lol

olmsted
30-10-2008, 04:22
canada gw has it on their website/ stores i believe.

Bjorn
30-10-2008, 12:10
Hmm, if anyone knows where to find it please do tell, all I could find was a 13th company Mini-Mini-Dex here (http://ca.games-workshop.com/CommunityNew/HOH/Army%20Downloads/13thcompany.pdf)

Lisiecki
30-10-2008, 12:41
because Codex: space wolves isn't standalone and needs an SM Codex to work, so either way he's got to fork out for C:SM.

A non sacrastic answer from me would be to go to an Ebay buy C:SM now auction for between 10-20 bucks, and tell your self that you bought C:SW for 10-20 and C:SM for 30

olmsted
31-10-2008, 03:26

no they are terribly different. grey hunters =/= tacticals, blood claws =/= assault squads, long fangs =/= devastators.

space wolves are space marines but the list is completly different from the 5th edition space marines

ZamOne
31-10-2008, 04:24

Um?
So?

He'd actually need C:SM to use C:SW the stats and all, you know.

Lisiecki
31-10-2008, 15:25
He'd actually need C:SM to use C:SW the stats and all, you know.

He only needs it to use parts of C:SW, you know.
Its completly possible to make a temp list that dosnt use any of the weapons or wargear that hasnt been updated.

unclejimbo827
31-10-2008, 16:38
You could spend valuable time and energy fighting the good fight and PROTESTING the FASCISTS at GW like those rebellious Dark Angels.

Soupcat
31-10-2008, 19:29
You could spend valuable time and energy fighting the good fight and PROTESTING the FASCISTS at GW like those rebellious Dark Angels.

ummm what?

Bjorn
31-10-2008, 19:42
He's talking about all the Emo Dark Angel players actually writing to GW and sending back their DA codex's cause they are all whiney emos.

Whereas Space Wolves who have been skipped over for 2 editions and have had to buy 3 different marine codex's to play, have done nothing but laugh and use their 10 year old (the oldest still in use) codex to wup ass

Soupcat
31-10-2008, 19:58
lol okay
I was thinking I would have to break the tin foil hats out for people for a second there :D

Ubermensch Commander
31-10-2008, 20:28
lol okay
I was thinking I would have to break the tin foil hats out for people for a second there :D

No, just the earplugs for yourself and hankerchiefs for the DA players because of the endless crying;)

HarkonGreywolf
01-11-2008, 17:41
If it were my choice I'd buy the old C:SW off ebay regardless of price AND buy the latest C:SM.
The C:SM will be necessary anyway when the new SW Codex comes out, or at least I guess it will (could be wrong and SW as a stand alone Codex does sound good, but may be unlikely!)

You really do need the C:SW to play a SW army.
If you try and convert a Codex army list you won't have a SW army, just a blue/grey Codex army.
The whole point of the SW's is that they do NOT follow the Codex Astartes, but the vision of Leman Russ who ignored Gullimans vision and went his own way.

The fact that SW's are SM's is not relevant where Codices are involved.

And given that people are now saying it's likely to be at least another year before the new C:SW is released means that you'll have that long to wait ...

So buy the thing off ebay and be done. You know it makes sense!
:D

HG

volair
01-11-2008, 18:45

I know the Wolves aren't due for a new codex for a while, at best I've heard sometime in 2009. So, what are young space pups to do? It seems odd that GW would pull the codex if it's still what's supposed to be used to play them...

Would there be a lot of grief just using the new C:SM? I know, some will cry "powergamer" or "cheesy", but honestly, It's real hard to find a copy of C: SW now-a-days. What are some good count's as options using C:SM? Is using the Blood Angels dex a little more accurate? Any help will be appreciated thanks.

Play a real army instead of an off shoot and/or neglected army is my advice to everyone, or wait for the secondary army of your choice to become mainstream with a new 5th edition codex.

victorpofa
03-11-2008, 03:19
The C:SM will be necessary anyway when the new SW Codex comes out, or at least I guess it will (could be wrong and SW as a stand alone Codex does sound good, but may be unlikely!)

Thankfully, GW will not make another mini codex. The Space Wolves will get a full codex like the Dark Angels or nothing at all. Same with the Blood Angels. They will eventually get a full codex, or nothing beyond the White Dwarf list. Even their White Dwarf list does not require another book so in the unlikely event that we get a White Dwarf list it will not require the Space Marine codex.