PDA

View Full Version : Warriors of Chaos or Dark elves???

Da Black Gobbo
29-10-2008, 23:39
Hi there! is that simple, i'm doing a new army but i can't decide i like both DE and WoC and i love magic and CC, both armies seem good in both aspects, what do you think i should buy?? models from both armies also rock, damm! i cannot decide :) help me out!

Leogun_91
29-10-2008, 23:56
Play slaanesh mortals and DE with a cultist theme, this way they look fluffy togheter in legendary battles and gives you two armies that are somewhat linked

witchking
29-10-2008, 23:59
I would say go with WOC for the simple fact there may be new DE coming and all the WOC models are brand new.

Malice&Mizery
30-10-2008, 00:03
I'm in the same boat as you, Gobbo (so to speak) I also cannot decide between the two. I thought I had my heart set on Chaos but then the Dark Elves look so good aswell >.<

I shall be watching this thread to see what responses you get, I hope it helps us both :)

Hulkster
30-10-2008, 00:05
Personally i think Dark Eles have a better story and have a better army list

but then i think the WoC models looks better

it depends what kind army you want, Dark Elves have shooting, flying skirmishers, normal skirmishers and possibly the best fast cav in the game

WoC have possinly the best heavy cav in the game, incredibly powerful characters and dragon ogres

WoC are more static and slow moving, but tougher. DE are faster, with more army options, but are fragile

Da Black Gobbo
30-10-2008, 01:11
Personally i think Dark Eles have a better story and have a better army list

but then i think the WoC models looks better

it depends what kind army you want, Dark Elves have shooting, flying skirmishers, normal skirmishers and possibly the best fast cav in the game

WoC have possinly the best heavy cav in the game, incredibly powerful characters and dragon ogres

WoC are more static and slow moving, but tougher. DE are faster, with more army options, but are fragile

Now thanks Hulkster, that didn't help hehehe, it just made me have more doubts :D.
Thanks anyways guys, keep looking for more opinions.

mistformsquirrel
30-10-2008, 01:29
At this point I'd be asking myself about the character of the army.

Do you want a scalpel or an axe? Either works fine, it just depends on what method you prefer.

With the Warriors of Chaos, you are utterly rock hard and uncompromising. Your Warriors are some of the best (if not THE best) core infantry in the game profile-wise; and you can always bulk the army up with dirt cheap Marauders if you feel the need for some numbers. You've also got immensely powerful Knights to help you run the enemy into the dirt.

On the other hand the DE have some good shooting, which can be a boon, and nasty dirty tricks, like Assassins and poisons. They're also faster; but somewhat more vulnerable.

Story also should be looked at.

Are you more happy serving an incredibly powerful and ruthless lord, like Malekith, and by doing so gaining direct support and favor? Or would you rather go your own way - building your forces by strength and cunning - but likewise being unable to truly call on reinforcements as your warband is likely 'all there is' as far as your forces go. At least until you cave in another leader's skull and get oaths of fealty out of their former warriors.

Obviously if you're clever you can easily work the story however you like, but the above is just an example of "for those who want to remain very close to the default" that's what it is.

theunwantedbeing
30-10-2008, 01:34
If you want shooting, then go with the dark elves.
If your not fussed about shooting, go with chaos.

Malice&Mizery
30-10-2008, 01:42
From what's been said, I'm leaning towards Chaos again a bit more. I've never been one to take well to orders so the idea of starting your own warband and going it your own way sounds appealing :)

Also, my friend is going to be playing the 'Empire' I was wondering how well 'Warriors of chaos' can stand up to them? Them seem to have a lot of guns and that scares me :P

him_15
30-10-2008, 01:47
depend on if you like man or elf.

theunwantedbeing
30-10-2008, 01:56
Vs Empire.....Mark of nurgle.
Let's see those Bs2 handgunners make an impression on your 1+ save t4 knights :P

Assuming he goes first with 20 handgunners (all at the very edge of long range, and then you move into short range)
He'll kill on average 1 in the first volley (if you fail 1 of the 1-2 armour saves you'll be taking on a 3+) and 1-2 in the second volley (assuming you fail 1-2 of the 2-4 saves you'll be taking on a 3+).

In short, handgunners suck at killing Nurgle knights of chaos. They really suck at it.

Krom The Eternal
16-11-2008, 23:29
I was in the same boat too it was start my 4th chaos army for tzeench or dark elves so i thought abot it and i got a small 1500pt DE force then I got Some Chaos stuff too Keep in Mind guys theres no such thing as too much WoC Stuff haha

Godgolden
16-11-2008, 23:34
if you want to win alot: dark elves

if you like heavy armour and cool models: warriors

Quetzl
16-11-2008, 23:39
Ooo Dark Elves and Warriors of Chaos are a hard choice. It's because they're both new, both the models are awesome for both ranges and they've got so much individuality. Have you got both the books? I'd say spend 30 on them *steep I know* but it'll allow you to play around with lists look at them in general terms *background* and just get the best idea about the army. And it's better to spend 30 on the books, rather than spend 100+ on one, to find halfway through painting them that yopu wished you'd brought the other :/

Hope that helps :)

Archaon
16-11-2008, 23:55
Personally i'd prefer DE (and not because i play them for about 6-7 years now :D)

They are simply more versatile.. you can do many army styles with them, i.e. shooty/cavalry/infantry heavy/magic/monster etc. whereas with WoC you have to choose between Infantry/cavalry and magic.

The models for the new WOC are amazing but they still suffer from their age old problem - they are rather bland on the field.

Up to you.. WOC are a sledgehamer you ram down your opponents throat, not a very subtle army and cheaper moneywise than most other armies whereas DE are fragile but fast as hell and can strike hard too.