PDA

View Full Version : Any Info on IG Leviathan

milmot
27-04-2005, 08:42
Imperial Guard Regiment Command Vehicle.

I've seen it mentioned in Imperial Armour, but know nothing else about it.

Has anyone have a link to a pic of it?

I've read somewhere on the forum that it can fit an entire company of IG, and has a fair about of weapons on it. Can someon confirm/denounce?

So i'm assuming it something similar to a SuperTank (eg BaneBlade).

Marsekay
27-04-2005, 08:59
Go have a look under the painting and terrain thread, the IG command and imperial capital imperialis thingy.

That has links to the leviathan i believe. and similair things.

Sai-Lauren
27-04-2005, 09:08
Best source of info would be 2nd or possibly 3rd edition epic. It's supposed to be a command vehicle, and can allegedly carry an entire guard company, even though it's model's footprint is only slightly bigger than two land raiders :rolleyes:

I'd class it as a praetorian, same as things like the Capitol Imperialis (1st edition epic designation) - the next size up from a super-heavy.

Weapons, IIRC battle cannon in the front centre line mount, and turrets with las cannon and heavy bolters on the side. Void shields as primary defence.

milmot
27-04-2005, 09:48
I can't seem to find that thread in Painting and Terrain.
You sure its not Mark I Portent?
Or am i just blind?
(wouldnt surprise me if it was the later)
A date of the last post of the thread will help me greatly.

sigur
27-04-2005, 09:54
Thread (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1584)

warmachines including Leviathan (http://www.epicollector.com/Pages/2-Catalog/Selection_Screens/Guard/Superheavies.html)

Puffin Magician
27-04-2005, 10:47
The Leviathan and it's three sisters are true battleships of the land. At more than 3 times longer than a Rhino [roughly the proper size], and half as tall as a Reaver Titan, it's an impressively large machine with an equally impressive compliment of weaponry. Comparing it's Epic stats with those of the Baneblade, and looking at the Baneblade's 40k rules, we're able to accurately approximate what the Leviathan should be like. Here's my take:

Leviathan - 1500pts
Bs3, 14/13/12, 6 structure points, 4 void shields, Transport×100, Surveyor
Doomsday Cannon, 1 Battlecannon, 6 Lascannon, 6 Twinlinked Heavy Bolter
Doomsday Cannon: 12"-180" s9 ap3 Ord d3+1 Large Blasts, Slow Firing

There's been several 40k models made by players, each looking similar to the Epic version; I think a redesign is necessary to make it look in line with the blockier designs of Lucius-pattern Titans.

boogle
27-04-2005, 11:26
one of the old Citidel Journals had rules and a model that was built by a gamer in it (the rules were for 3rd as well, i'll dig it out over the weekend and let you know which issue it is)

x-esiv-4c
27-04-2005, 13:31
The squats used the Leviathan too, was it originally an imperial design or one of the pint-sizes?

Morgan Keyes
27-04-2005, 13:52
Here is a pic of a Leviathan (http://mercenarybrush.com/eawarmachines.shtml#lev), and below it is it's 'brother', the Capitol Imperialis.

As for the Squats, some of the Epic fluff has them building them for the Imperium in exchange for other concessions. If you do still accept the existance of the Squats (wiped from Imperial records in GWs view), they not only have the Leviathan, but also the Cyclops, Colossus, and Behemoth 'praetorians'.

boogle
27-04-2005, 19:08
i believe the Squats used the Leviathan template to create the Collossus and Cyclops variants

milmot
28-04-2005, 00:48
ok, after all that, I'm sad to say I'm pretty disappointed.

It just looks like a big warehouse on wheels.

I believe a redesign is necessary...

Morgan Keyes
28-04-2005, 03:05
ok, after all that, I'm sad to say I'm pretty disappointed.

It just looks like a big warehouse on wheels.

I believe a redesign is necessary...

Yeah...that's a model from waaaay back in the early days of Epic. Then again, there are alot of vehicles from those days many recent players (like the last 3-5 years) would have trouble recognizing. The Leviathan, the Capitol Imperialis, and their Squat cousins (all pretty much based on the Leviathan as Boogle pointed out) are given the look of fortresses on treads. If you want really ugly, you should see the AdMech's Ordinatus praetorians.

I have a PDF file showing all the Imperial minis from then til now if any are interested.

alterion
01-05-2005, 21:43
ohh that wouldbe interesting..- with reagrds to look i reckon something like an sw ep1 droid carrier on treads w a more imperial look would work well

Puffin Magician
02-05-2005, 13:36
I've made a few redesigns of the based on the design of this (http://www.capcom.com/SB/mechart/mech13.jpg) enormous vehicle from the game Steel Battalion. It's certainly large enough to meet the requirements a Leviathan chassis requires, as well as fitting all the massive weapons of the Colossus, Behemoth, and Cyclops versions.

I already have scale drawings, but unfortunately no scanner... so you'll need to deal with dark digicam photos. Have a look (http://photobucket.com/albums/v124/Puffinmagician/Imperial/).

f2k
02-05-2005, 16:07
Looks like it would make a good Leviathan. Any chance of a pic. with a fig. next to it? Just to get a sense of scale…

Puffin Magician
02-05-2005, 16:44
Unfortunately, I have no tangible minis to lay on the paper to give a sense of scale [all my models are currently on a boat somewhere in the Atlantic], but each little square is 1×1cm. A quick Photoshop job adding a Marine did the trick, and certainly made me realize just how big these things are going to be... have a look (http://photobucket.com/albums/v124/Puffinmagician/Imperial/?action=view&current=LeviathanScale.jpg).

Morgan Keyes
03-05-2005, 03:56
To get an idea of a Leviathan's size, consider along with it's massive weapons it is carrying a regimental command group with all their operations centers and commo, as well as up to a company of infantry (which would likely be the regimental commander's "Life Company", personal protection unit for the command).

Epic: Armaggedon gives info on the Leviathan in their appendix under "Collector's Models". They're also saying a new Capitol Imperialis, carrying two infantry companies in the old design, is scheduled for sometime in '05.