PDA

View Full Version : Gahh, standards gentlemen please!!

Killmaimburn
31-10-2008, 12:57
Bought one of the (now 60) army cases ..just as the prices bumped up..(tried to buy it before, but they'd ran out and only ordered one at a time,so they kept running out until the price bumped..I know Iknow, more fool me:o)

I've had it a few weeks. (Put a few plastic orks in gently)..But the lightness of the case was nagging at me..and the looseness of the clasps (as if heavily overused for a long period) finally got the better of me. I've lost the receipt but shall be attempting to get a decent case (like my other 5 from GW) over the next week..(see picture for reason..photo taken held against daylight with a camera with no flash, foam sheet unused and not mishandled by me in any way)The foam is really brittle,full of errors and lacking durability (it stranegly shiny when compared to the older (last years) stuff too)
The question is..can you still get decent cases from GW or do they all suffer from accountant moths? (Is mine a glitch, or is this the new way of them staying afloat on the luxury retailer ship of finance)

(On the mandatory insane rant side, I'm sick of places saying its ok they'll absorb costs during the crunch and just sell vastly substandard products...My bog roll and the tinned chilli I cook for the gaming lot have all gone so down hill its unmentionable, both just end up with your hands looking the same:mad:....:angel:)

Advice about resolving the matter would be gratefully recieved (I know GW are generally good about taking stuff back, but if its all like that what do I do?)
Hope that was fairly lucid and not too whinesday
KMB

daemonkin
31-10-2008, 13:03
KMB: I recently bought the big blue case from an ebay trader and I can say that my my infantry trays are nowhere near as good as the old red stuff. It seems the glue is just not as good as it used to be but possibly is to aid gamers breaking it apart to fit in their larger models. IDK if mine keeps losing integrity I'll take it back to local GW and demand better trays.

D.

Russell's teapot
31-10-2008, 13:32
The clasps were always pants. I've had 2 break on me (luckily not on the same case!).

GW foam - the latest sad statistic in the credit crunch...

Slaaaaaanesh
31-10-2008, 13:36
I think that if you have any issue with the case, ie the clasp breaks, or the foam is knackered so soon after buying it , that you can take it to a GW store and they should sort you out with a replacement. Thats what the staff member told me when I bought my large army case this summer.

JackBurton01
31-10-2008, 13:51
I've said before and I'll say it again. Plano pistol cases for 12 dollars is definitely the way to go.

Hicks
31-10-2008, 16:53
Yeah figure cases are like any other hobby related products sold by GW, way overpriced and usually worse than what the competition has to offer.

RevEv
31-10-2008, 21:21
Never had a problem with any of my GW cases TBH (and I have 12 of the latest plus others), although I have others for larger models.

And, before too many of our cousins extol them, please realise that we in the UK cannot readily obtain pistol/rifle cases. They are not available in our superstores over here as they are in Sears et al in Canada/US. Please remember that firearms are not common place in the UK with shooting being even more of a niche market and even more expensive than GW.

yabbadabba
31-10-2008, 21:45
Yeah figure cases are like any other hobby related products sold by GW, way overpriced and usually worse than what the competition has to offer.

And how does that comment help or address the issue? :wtf:

I have over thirty cases of all types and I have had no problems. Take it back and they will sort it out for you.

Huw_Dawson
31-10-2008, 22:46
News just in: folks on Warseer still see the need to bemoan all things GW.

I quite like my GW case. It's big and bulky, but I didn't have to scout out online to get the darn thing (and pay a big shipping cost for it...) and it keeps my models safe, which is the important thing.

Anyway, you want better foam, right? If GW don't fix you up, I believe that there was a case manufacturer from Germany that advertised on Warseer a while back, and they sell foam trays. If somebody can remember the name, you could try them. :)

- Huw

Khornies & milk
31-10-2008, 23:04
KMB: I recently bought the big blue case from an ebay trader and I can say that my my infantry trays are nowhere near as good as the old red stuff. It seems the glue is just not as good as it used to be but possibly is to aid gamers breaking it apart to fit in their larger models. IDK if mine keeps losing integrity I'll take it back to local GW and demand better trays.

D.

I bought the grey and blue cases and the foam is definitely sub-par compared to the red inlays. The glue they used is absolute first grade crap, spittle probably would have adhered better.
I've ordered 4 lots of the red foam inlays already and it's only been a month since I received the cases.

Nothing wrong with the actual cases (so far) but overall a very expensive exercise for 2 GW cases, and not a 100% quality product.

RevEv
31-10-2008, 23:21
Anyway, you want better foam, right? If GW don't fix you up, I believe that there was a case manufacturer from Germany that advertised on Warseer a while back, and they sell foam trays. If somebody can remember the name, you could try them. :)

That would be Feldherr, who's website is http://www.figurecase.com/?gclid=CNPwhZHA0pYCFQOx1AodBhhV3Q. I have two of their hard cases plus foam for a third. I am more than happy with what I have. The raster foam really does look after the bigger, less regularly shaped models well. I'll be in the market for some more before I move again.

Thoth62
01-11-2008, 06:38
I've never had any problems... I have 2 of the standard cases and 1 large, and only one of the small cases was purchased when they still had the old red foam.

That being said, its the red foam, and not the black for me that seems to be the more worse for the wear. I've had to fix it up with my own glue several times. Not so with the black.

olmsted
01-11-2008, 06:56
shoes boxes seriously.... okay fine if you want you can get some card board and make about 30 cells in the shoe box to hold your guy. also they come with shoes so your bound to have some somewhere.

daemonkin
01-11-2008, 10:28
@Khornies and Milk: Where did you order the red foam trays from? Was it costly and how much was shipping?

Regards,
D.

Khornies & milk
01-11-2008, 12:27
@Khornies and Milk: Where did you order the red foam trays from? Was it costly and how much was shipping?

Regards,
D.

GW australia...so probably not much help to you. Price is $Aus44, and they charge $5 delivery if within Australia.

Overall the simple fact remains that if you pay a decent amount of money for a quality product it should be a quality product not sub-par. It should definitely not warrant having to buy replacement parts for it after only a month or so....end of story.

Duke Georgal
01-11-2008, 21:14
Never had a problem with any of my GW cases TBH (and I have 12 of the latest plus others), although I have others for larger models.

And, before too many of our cousins extol them, please realise that we in the UK cannot readily obtain pistol/rifle cases. They are not available in our superstores over here as they are in Sears et al in Canada/US. Please remember that firearms are not common place in the UK with shooting being even more of a niche market and even more expensive than GW.

That is just so bizarre and foreign to me! Me and my buddies might squeeze off a couple thousand rounds in a weekend of shooting. Going to buy a gun is no different than going to buy a new set of pots & pans!

Oh... I don't think pistol cases are as good as GW cases, but I prefer Sabol Army Transport trays in tool boxes.

yabbadabba
01-11-2008, 21:29
Overall the simple fact remains that if you pay a decent amount of money for a quality product it should be a quality product not sub-par. It should definitely not warrant having to buy replacement parts for it after only a month or so....end of story.

No - if you buy a product and you feel it is not of a quality that warrants the price then return it. If you do not have that option then you need to be more careful. There is always a chance that poor product slips through the quality checks, and a little bit of care during purchasing can massively cut down on the chance of you getting that poor product.

This is a storm in a tea cup as GW have excellent customer service and all anyone has to do with a GW product of poor quality is contact them.

Killmaimburn
05-11-2008, 09:31
Update:
Took the case back, the nice little red shirt thought it had been attacked by too many moths too.
They replaced the case with a different one (still some 'moth holes' so obviously the new standard, but no one sheet had quite so many .. and the clasps were mildly firmer (not as good as they used to be.. but they didn't fall off when I picked it up and gently shook the case) Got a new detail brush whilst I was there.
KMB ( a moderately more content puppy :) )