PDA

View Full Version : Army Book's Could There Be A Stalemate?

Quetzl
31-10-2008, 17:58
I had this idea a couple of weeks back, now it's not the best idea in the world but here me out :D

Basically I was thinking about this endless release schedule, with an Army book being released every 3 months to a lot of disagreement and bantering - alongside the praise and the admiration of it. And I started to think, instead of GW releasing a new books consistantly, couldn't they perhaps release them all *per every 3 month period* and when all the armies are complete leave it? So for example there's 15 Army Books right now, with a good 6 needing to be redone, so by August 2010 we could have everything updated to 7th edition. If rule sets were to stay the same then surely the game cannot become more unbalanced or weighted towards certain armies. *I know Orcs & Goblins need a bolster, but I'm getting there*

So let's imagine it happens, and by 2010 we could get a new ruleset which has every army updated and with there own holy tome of information. But instead of just leaving it, they simply release new models *plastic kits* to re-bolster the old Army Books. For every 3 month period of course. So lets say 8th edition's released, and the next army out is Empire - maybe some plastic swordmasters, stank etc. But no new book etc. However if the company feel an army is severly disabled then they allow for a new book to be released, I'm thinking Orcs & Goblins etc.

This could mean that the Rules Developers could spend more time collaborating on new ventures rather than being inandated with the endless schedule of Army Books. Maybe they could release some extremerly complex rule sets for the game, or perhaps some insanely complex campaigns or perhaps books on how to develop your own army ideas or unit ideas for armies already in exsistance. But I feel more importantly actually dedicate all of there resources to developing new armies and be completely sure that they'll suceed or more importantly sell well *And if they're big and new, with a lot of effort put in then I believe they could*. I feel that GW are veering away from creating armies from scratch literally because of the cost and the time constraints - what's easier re-releasing something old with some new bling, or having to sculpt absolutely everything and develop the rules to balance it?

So yah! The idea was more about freezing the armies into stasis and then progressing the game by expanding your options rather than changing one army to affect one aspect of a truly massive system. But with them continually releasing new miniatures for the Army Books they'd produced maybe 10 years ago.

What dya'll think?

DeathlessDraich
31-10-2008, 18:22
New armies -take a look at my signature below.:evilgrin:

More complex rules, same as the above. :p

GW would prefer to maintain the status quo and the inequitable balance, or the perceived imbalance between armies.

It makes good sales sense, to car salesmen, to make the customer yearn for the next new model.
GW does the same with new books etc - Because of the new armies, perceived 'special treatment', fans of the un-updated armies are drooling and craving for their favourite army to be updated.

Malorian
31-10-2008, 18:36
The second GW stops the cycle of revamping armies is when they will start to lose money.

I would like to see the process slow down a bit though (1 army revamped every 6 months).

Stouty
31-10-2008, 18:45
They can keep revamping them all they want as long as they STOP WITH THE GOD DAMNED POWER CREEP

That said DE and WoC weren't that bad for this (internal balance issues aside) but they're definately better than Empire or Greenskins. To compare: Marauder and common goblins or boar boyz and any other mounted unit.

ChaosCajun
31-10-2008, 20:35
It wouldn't hurt though to sketch out all the army books with each edition at one time instead of creating them from scratch as they go. Most tabletop games have release schedules for the various books due to printing issues and revenue issues, but they have the rules and accompanying lists, etc. pretty much done at one time. This prevents power creep. Also, if GW really wanted to increase sales they could release new editions of the rules twice as often with all the army books at one time and then release figures as they currently do. You'd need to buy new core rules and lists for your current and future armies more often. (Not that I mind the release schedule as I have several armies and don't play as often as I used to)

SolarHammer
31-10-2008, 20:46
The second GW stops the cycle of revamping armies is when they will start to lose money.

I would like to see the process slow down a bit though (1 army revamped every 6 months).

I think that's nonsense. People won't stop buying army books simply because they're all available and as up to date as the next one.

Keep the model releases on a cycle if they want, but I think they would be best served by having something new for everyone rather than the large wait periods between releases.

Quetzl
31-10-2008, 21:44
I think that's nonsense. People won't stop buying army books simply because they're all available and as up to date as the next one.

Keep the model releases on a cycle if they want, but I think they would be best served by having something new for everyone rather than the large wait periods between releases.

Yeah, I think it'll make people spend more money as well due to the consistant releases of older armies alongside some new stuff. As people always want new armies *generally, or are tempted by the new goodies* and if people already have 3 or 4 armies which keep getting new bolsters of stuff then I reacon it could work.

Obviously I agree that the current scheme of things works for GW, but it just leaves so many armies out in the cold, for well all most a decade it seems.

R Man
31-10-2008, 23:55
Well I think the biggest problems GW has is:
1: They can't seem to stick to a plan for each edition. As a result the design philosophy swithced mid edition.
2: Trying to do everything at once (Fantasy, 40K, LOTR, Apocalypse, Legendary Battles). This has gotten a little better.
3: Lack of Ettera (sp?).

Mostly the Army books are pretty good, but if they put that little extra effort the game would be very much better.

Porksta
01-11-2008, 04:47
Bring back Chronicles. They can't fix anything until they release these babies.

Ward.
01-11-2008, 06:20
What dya'll think?

I think you missed the profitability in hyping up the next release in the hopes that people will start a new army.