PDA

View Full Version : Story based 40k armies.

Fay_Redd
31-10-2008, 18:39
This is a new thread with the same purpose as the "calling all Imperial Fist players" thread, any admin people that read this please delete the other thread.

Hello warseer. long time no thread making on my part, anyway.

I am currently working on Sons of Orar Space Marines but am planning to put a crusading patrol of Imperial Fists into the force, this will add a nice little variety and some decent story i hope. anyway my main questions are as follows....

1. what do you all think of story based forces and have you done one yourself before

and..

2. if any imperial fist players (or people who have painted said colour scheme) could post any pictures of their attempts at some imperial fists in this thread along with their answer to the above question it would be greatly appreicated.

thanks again, Reddster. <---- (my new nickname, cool huh ^^)

Desert Rat
31-10-2008, 20:03
I'm not quite sure what a story based army is. Is it putting together an army from one of the Black Library books?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I do have some pics of my I.F. portions of my Gologotha Crusade Army.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p6/cabinetguy/40k%20stuff/Crusade%20Army/Golgotha%20Command%20Squad/ImpFistsfront.jpg

Chaplain, Apothocary, special weapon trooper, veteran

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p6/cabinetguy/40k%20stuff/Crusade%20Army/Golgotha%20Fast%20Attack/Wholesquad.jpg

Assault squad

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p6/cabinetguy/40k%20stuff/Crusade%20Army/Golgotha%20Heavy%20Support/wholesqdrightside.jpg

Devistator squad

demonnick
31-10-2008, 20:14
The idea of a story based army is nice, you got to pick a story you like and build an army around it. I personally preffere to write my story than to follow the ones written so my armies do not follow any special senario.

Fay_Redd
31-10-2008, 20:42
@ Desert Rat: yeah i should have elaborated a bit better, basically a story based army is an army that you build from humble beginnings and build it up sticking to a 'storyline' that you or you and a friend may have created. I find this to be nice as you can feel apart from all the hum-drum armies with no real feeling behind them. thanks for the IF's pics thats helped me get an idea of them.

@ demonnick:yeah, again should have elaborated, i am working on my own story line. a brief overview. I have placed the Sons of Orar at the battle on Anphelion, IA book 4 i bleev, along with the Red Scorpions. The 3rd company to be precise and during that my Captain, Argus Aires came to command of said company and is now on a crusade of sorts to honour the lately deceased 1st company captain Titus.

An army revolving around a personally created story is the way to go in my eyes, nothing beats it.

anyway, thanks all so far. Keep posting replies and pics whenever you can.

Angelwing
01-11-2008, 03:46
Well, My buddies space marines started out in 1st ed. He created his own chapter (the Deaths head) and characters. One veteran sergeant kept on surviving against the odds and is now the chapter master. The general background is that the chapter is an ultramarine successor chapter. The homeworld is a medieval level planet with a feudal system, and knights heraldry and the such is a feature of the force. Some of the force fell to chaos but repented. These elements of the chapter are still tainted but use their powers to fight chaos. The army has grown into a 10k points force.
I have painted my space marines up as his chapter and my force comes from a company he hasn't done. This way, if we combine our armies, no models have matching squad and company markings.
My own Imperial Guard started as my necromunda gang. I had enough figures to make a basic guard force and went from there. The back story is that the gang became guilder watchmen. The guilder in charge is actually an Ordos Xenos inquisitor, in charge of experiments with tyranids. After some campaign games involving tyranids, I decided my gang was recruited by the inquisitor as his private army, gaining recruits from necromunda when the local gangs are experienced enough. They now go and fight on behalf of the inquisitor to further his plans. Originally equipped to fight urban warfare, the regiment has (being gang fighters at heart) gradually scavenged / stolen other equipment including a shadowsword tank.

MrBigMr
01-11-2008, 04:31
Story based armies? I'll see your army and raise you with a fleet.

I started working on my Chaos 40K army and BFG fleet -> this one (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167424) - after writing these three novels: Slayers of Sorrow (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124738), Black Hole Gun (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136740) and Tears of Blood (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2618275). No one can tell me I don't have a fluffy army.

Shangrila
01-11-2008, 05:21
My buddie has 2 space marine story armies.One is finished, the Gold marines(as i call them) and the other is the ilumiatis somthings or as i say the glowy marines. he wants them to like glow in the dark.Hes got 10 page storys for each of them.

My Imperial Guard are going to have fluff behind them, i just haven't finished hammering out the details yet. So far they are the Erusian 21st Division "the Free lancers".I want them to be have fought against tyranids and with the raven gaurd.I cant say what kind of division they are yet since i have so many models its hard to decide.
I have right now:
18 Russ variants
8 chimeras
2 hell hounds
3 basilisks
12 sentinels
60ish heavy weapons teams and 350+ infantry models.

Any ideas?

Firstborn
01-11-2008, 05:27
@ demonnick:yeah, again should have elaborated, i am working on my own story line. a brief overview. I have placed the Sons of Orar at the battle on Anphelion, IA book 4 i bleev, along with the Red Scorpions. The 3rd company to be precise and during that my Captain, Argus Aires came to command of said company and is now on a crusade of sorts to honour the lately deceased 1st company captain Titus.

Thinking outside the box, good idea. Not that far outside the box though, as we know exactly what forces were at Amphillion, down to the last man.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
01-11-2008, 05:54
My alpha legion warband split up with the rest of the chapter, on orders to infiltrate the imperium to sow discontent and cause terror. They believe (based on the loyal interpretation of the alpha legion in the novel legion,) that for the galaxy to survive mankind must be destroyed, for the chaos gods hold their influence easily over humans. As time went on, members of the warband started worshipping the chaos gods, and a deep schism has divided the warband, into those who wish to follow Alpharius's teachings, and those who wish eternal glory and power. For now the warband is united in the face of a hostile galaxy but the more rebellious cult leaders are already calling for death to the weakling disbelievers.

My army is divided into a khornate alpha legion side and unmarked alpha legion warriors, an unmarked squad of elite terminators: "the brotherhood of the serpent." keeps the khornate faction in line, I've tried to distinguish the two factions with severed heads and demonic faces on the followers of khorne, while the unmarked faction has amo pouches, combat knives and minimal decorative wargear, to give the impression they are still the emperor's warriors and remember his doctrine of battle and have not been swayed into barborous practices.

Fay_Redd
01-11-2008, 10:48
This is all good stuff people. In my local GW i am the only one with a story based army, all the rest of the players are as i said "the hum-drum no feeling" armies. It's nice to know others share my views on writing background and building around it.

@ Firstborn: yeah, the IA books do detail everything but the Sons of Orar in my background were there for a very short time in the true scale of it all. They recaptured a sector that was tyranid infested fortified it against further tyranid attack, notified the Scorpions and left. Call it a Drive-by of sorts, get down to the planet, do a little bit then go again.

keep it coming people, however i would like additional Imperial Fist pictures so i can get the idea about what i should make them like. Comversions TBH are more of a priority than painting here, so any awesome looking converted IF squads you have, take some pics and post them.

vinush
01-11-2008, 11:30
Nooooooo!!!! Apothecaries should be white with chapter a coloured shoulder pad. That's the way they always were.

I think that as long as you have the fluff to support using those troops, go for it. Their rules are the same as vanilla marines, or smurfs, right? If they are, then the way you paint them is up to you. If you wanted to have units from a dozen different chapters in the army then that would be fine too.

My 2p worth.

\/ince

Desert Rat
01-11-2008, 18:34
Reading the meaning of a Story Based Army that makes more sense.

My Crusade army is one. I have units all belonging to the Imperial Fists and their successor chapters. I wrote some background for them at the beginning and it's slowely evolving as I build the army.

To me this makes the army more special then a generic "what do I want to play today" kind of army. Keeping the background in mind encourages me to model and paint and sometimes play a little more in depth.