PDA

View Full Version : Should I go back to Square 1 with my army?

mistformsquirrel
01-11-2008, 21:36
Hey all! Well, with the new Chaos book, and my steadily improving painting/modeling abilities... I'm starting to get annoyed with my army. I don't think it looks BAD per-se, but its definitely not pretty up close.

I'm strongly tempted to strip the army of paint and start all over (as well as buy new models for my characters - doing them all over from scratch).

Anyone else do this, and if so, was it worth it? Do you think I should?

(I can provide pics of models if requested, but I don't want to clutter the thread with them right off)

Mireadur
01-11-2008, 22:34
Just go stripping paint 1 by one... It sounds like if you were going to strip paint from all the army at the same time!

Tokamak
01-11-2008, 22:44
Hey all! Well, with the new Chaos book, and my steadily improving painting/modeling abilities... I'm starting to get annoyed with my army. I don't think it looks BAD per-se, but its definitely not pretty up close.

I'm strongly tempted to strip the army of paint and start all over (as well as buy new models for my characters - doing them all over from scratch).

Anyone else do this, and if so, was it worth it? Do you think I should?

(I can provide pics of models if requested, but I don't want to clutter the thread with them right off)

Yeah I did. It surprised me how much of the detail remained after spraying them over again. You'll likely be the only one who will ever see the difference.

Be careful with stripping plastic models though. Plastic is a bit porous which means it has absorbed the paint already, making it very hard to strip. You're often better of with spraying it over right away.

Braad
01-11-2008, 22:57
If you really want to have a go at it, put this army in the cupboard, buy all new stuff, and go on a converting/painting frenzy... Heavily themed. That's the way to go!

Griefbringer
01-11-2008, 22:57
Paint stripping is a lot of effort.

My first suggestion would be to experiment with adding a little bit more detail work on top of the current paint job (highlighting, shading, picking up details with new colours) to see if that could have a desired effect on them.

Phoenix Blaze
01-11-2008, 23:09
I said yes. There's nothing worse than having a painted army you're not happy with. With the release of WoC, I'd like to sell all my beasts and hordes stuff and start a new WoC army from scratch. I like starting things again, (especially with computer games as it's easy!).

Starting again can also allow more freedom, as you may feel a bit constricted to use units you already have. Like, I kinda feel as if I have to use my Khornegor as I've spent a bunch of pounds on them.

So yeah, start again if you can! I would if I could!

Desert Rain
01-11-2008, 23:22
You should go for it. I have the same problem with my lizardmen, most of them were painted when I was a beginner and when I compare them with my much newer High Elves they don't stand a chance.

Skrekkugle
02-11-2008, 00:21
I have the same problem as you! My plan is to keep playing with my old ugly models, while painting up all new ones, and when they are done im selling the old ones off!

dragonlancr
02-11-2008, 01:34
I wouldn't strip off paint and attempt to repaint - you might find yourself more miserable than you are now.

I would make it a process where as I bought new units, I sold off other ones if possible to pump your "better painted" models into the mix. Eventually, (in theory) you would be happy with the entire army.

However, I've found that you ALWAYS get better and better the more you paint, so you have to avoid the endless downward spiral this effect might have. Any painted model is better than a non-painted model.

mistformsquirrel
03-11-2008, 23:34
Thanks all for your votes and comments! I'm going to go with the partial option I think - in looking at my minis I have several that are pretty good; but about an equal number that are pretty blagh... and those need repainted; the rest I can probably touch up enough to bring their quality up to my expectations.

Again, greatly appreciate all your input!