PDA

View Full Version : best weapon option for chaos warriors and chosen?

robnixon
02-11-2008, 19:02
its pretty much a given what im asking but what do you think is the best option for weapons for the two units, im keen for hand weapon and shield on chosen as they might get that extra point of stength anyway....what do you feel?

Lordsaradain
02-11-2008, 21:03
Halberd + sheild. It IS the best combo.

Madfool2
02-11-2008, 21:34
Extra save against shooting and the choice of what you want I assume.

Multi-purpose. Cool.

robnixon
02-11-2008, 22:21
halberd and shield, in ranks of six warriors? for a stronger frontage? or is 6 too unwieldly?

Goblin Gonads
02-11-2008, 22:26
such a pity you get ripped off another £7 for the actual weapons!

Odin
02-11-2008, 23:53
The silly thing is that halberds are the best weapon option, but cost 1 point, while great weapons cost 2 points. I've always tried to use great weapons because I think they are appropriately brutal. Halberds on the other hand are a weapon for keeping the enemy at a distance, which just doesn't seem right for Chaos Warriors, especially Khornate ones. But when the best option is also the cheaper one, it's rather difficult to avoid.

Lord Dan
03-11-2008, 00:45
I don't really believe the halberd is better than the GW option. I prefer GW + shield. Think about it:

In both cases you have the same save when being shot at.

The only time you would use your hand weapon/shield option is when you've been charged. If you've been charged you're striking last anyway, so not much is being sacrificed there.

The only case where the two differ is on the charge, where you strike first in both cases, and have an additional point of strength with the GW.

Granted if you're in combat for more than one turn the GW is then striking last (and the halberd is then, arguably, better). However if your chosen are in combat for more than 1 turn without you expecting them to be, something is wrong.

Sidorio
03-11-2008, 06:30
i agree, great wepon and shield its versatile and can pack a punch (also i can happily use the awesome models for chosen)

Dark14
03-11-2008, 06:36
but with I5 and a GW it goes to waste :(

also AHW are good especially with Khorne...4attacks with chaos armour...ewww

Lord Dan
03-11-2008, 23:45
but with I5 and a GW it goes to waste :(

As I mentioned, there are very few times you're actually going to be striking last.

If you get charged you're striking last anyway. You then only need to decide if the charger is likely to do enough damage to warrant using hw+shield or your other weapon.

If you charge, you're striking first with both the GW and the halberd.

The only time you actually strike last is if you're in combat for multiple turns. As I mentioned, if you have a unit with WS5, S6, and 3 attacks each in combat for multiple turns without having planned it, you've already lost.

W0lf
03-11-2008, 23:48
How often do you M4 troops get the charge?

Lord Dan
04-11-2008, 00:04
First of all, your implication that "you're getting charged anyway" only reenforces my point. Since you're striking last anyway, why not strike with S6 instead of S5?

Secondly, M4 is one of the most common in the game. Obviously you're not getting the charge against a unit of cavalry, but then again it's your responsibility as a general to make sure your enemy's cavalry are kept at bay by your own fast movers. Keep a chariot next to your chosen, move up a unit of knights to threaten a counter charge, whatever you can think of. It's not an open battlefield with one unit on either side, after all. :)

Lordsaradain
04-11-2008, 00:10
How often do you M4 troops get the charge?

Exactly. And the turn you get charged you might not be able to break your opponent, so a second round of combat is likely, which is why I5 is important.

Lord Dan
04-11-2008, 00:14
Exactly. And the turn you get charged you might not be able to break your opponent, so a second round of combat is likely, which is why I5 is important.

Did you even read what I wrote?

I can't think of anything that isn't unbreakable that a unit of chosen with great weapons won't smash through on the charge.

Emeraldw
04-11-2008, 01:05
If your using GW's then you have assumed that you won't take much damage in return. I however would use the Shield against almost everything and if you need extra killing power, then the opponent is likely low T and Low armor, making your natural str 4 enough to negate the armor to turn their save into something unreliable and the extra attack will gain more CR.

Personally I feel like they need those shields to hold on. 4+ is nice, but how many units can break through that?

Lordsaradain
04-11-2008, 08:56
Did you even read what I wrote?

Actually, no. (As I was posting pretty much the same time as you were).
I don't agree with you anyway. Great wepaons are more expensive and you lose out on I5.

There are two situations were greatweapons are better, the first turn if you get charged (but then you might want to use your sheilds), and on the turn you charge.

The turn you get charged is unlikely to be the end of the combat, unless you are up against something really weedy, like zombies, goblins etc, something that cant really expect to inflict any casualties, and then you wont really need the power of greatweapons either.

When you charge, you can expect to break/destroy your enemy in one turn, unless you are facing something like a black guard regiment. Greatweapons over halberds though are really only necessary if you charge cavalry or some monster.

The difference from S5 to S6 is not THAT big, S5 will wound most things on 2s anyway, and the additional save reduction usually only matters against cavalry.

Leogun_91
04-11-2008, 10:04
I can't think of anything that isn't unbreakable that a unit of chosen with great weapons won't smash through on the charge.A solid block of hammerers Stubborn Ld9 can usually stand a few rounds, but then you´r striking first anyway. Anything big enough with stubborn might actually work (well not snotlings maybe and even stubborn Nightgoblins will have a hard time)

Znail
04-11-2008, 12:35
Halberd and shield gets my vote for best choise for reasons already mentioned. You will most likely get charged most of the time and then probobly not win the first round (atleast not by a large margin) so its the follow up rounds that wins the fights. The main reason that you can expect your Warriors to get charged are that they are pretty large and valuable so the enemy will try his best to not let those get the chance to charge. The cheaper less valueable units have alot larger chance to get to charge, so Chosen (5+ unit size) or Marauders can use GW.

M 4 may appear to be average infantry, but if you consider other armies so are most faster then that. Elves (all kinds), Skaven, Daemons, Ogres and Beasts are obviously faster by default. Vampires, Tombkings and Orcs&Goblins have extra movement options. Brettonian and Empire can field lots of knights. That doesnt leave alot of M 4 armies.

What about Chosen with Frenzy banner, GWs and Helm of many eyez on champion. Sounds ok?

John Vaughan
05-11-2008, 05:08
No brainer. Halberds. As far as avoiding wasting the money on halberd bits, just use lances from the knights sprue. I was already planning on buying 2 boxes of them, just one more and I have spent less on halberds than I intended, and I have an extra set of knights (Knights are better off with ensorcelled weapons anyways...). Not to mention they look way better.

Cypher, the Emperor
05-11-2008, 07:02
I use halberds out of habit, most of my warriors are pre-5th and come with halberds stock, so when I was new to the game I just took them because.

destroyerlord
05-11-2008, 08:32
Mine are all the recut 5th models, so halberds were standard on the sprue. Thus I have one unit with halberds and shields that have always done well, and one unit that were chosen with shields (the extra attack and armor were more than enough reason not to give them another weapon). I think the chosen will either be retired or used as forsaken this edition (since they look just like the new artwork for forsaken and nothing at all like the awesome new chosen).
Umm...so halberds, mostly cuz they look cooler.

John Vaughan
07-11-2008, 05:21
Im using my old warriors as forsaken too. Both look like crap.