PDA

View Full Version : New player questions

ComTrav
04-11-2008, 08:40
Hey,

So I recently bought Warhammer Online, which got me a little bit interested in the 'game behind the game', and then I started looking at GW's website, and then I started reading Warseer, and then I realize for how much time I was looking at stuff about the game I should probably get into it :). I have a couple questions, though:

What's the best way to find other players? (I live in the Washington, DC area.) Is it easier to find games of Fantasy or 40k? (I would rather play Fantasy, the armies are more interesting for me for some reason, but finding a game is the main thing.)

How many people have multiple armies, and how long were you playing when you started your second army? It seems like an army is a big commitment, a lot of them look so cool. It also seems hard to "try out" new armies, unless you can borrow someone else's. I'm almost certainly playing Dwarfs, because Dwarfs are awesome! (And tough, and have a ton of war machines).

How hard is it to "re-do" paint jobs? I'm sorta fine with my Dwarf Warriors looking terrible, but I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by larger models. I don't want my Anvil of Doom to look like trash.

What's a good point value to shoot for for a first army? Something manageably sized that still gives a feel for the game.

Thanks!

snurl
04-11-2008, 08:47
Sounds like you should start out with the battle of Skull Pass boxed set, it contains the basic rules and about 500 points worth of dwarves.

There are several GW stores in and around WDC. There's a list of all GW stores and independent retailers in every issue of White dwarf, organised by state. Getting a game is easy.

Nesbet
04-11-2008, 09:00
you could search local gamers in your area through warseer
there are also lots of other forums, race specific etc

Almost everyone begin with one and only one army, but end with 2, 3 or more, lol

To re-do paint jobs, you must clean the figures first, with brake-fluid or Mr. Muscle (much cheaper!!)

Also, you can try the dwarf army with empty bases. You could make an entire army of card sqares with the names of the units. ;D

And... with a 1500 ponit battle you will feel the game.
Hope it helps