PDA

View Full Version : Idea for new Leman Russ Design/Fluff.

cuda1179
04-11-2008, 15:39
For a while I have been pondering the concept of a "high Tech" Imperial Guard army. One of the Things slowing my progress was the design of the Leman Russ. What could be done to make it look like it was from a higher tech level world?

Imagine the current Russ if it was about a centimeter longer, and about a centimeter shorter. (lowrider Russ) It would then have Ablative armor along Both sides and a turret from a Predator.

Fluff: This Varient of the russ is constructed on the Forgeworld of (yet to be named). This forgeworld is known for its mobile style of warfare and as such has a vast number of its battle tanks armed with alternatives to the Battle Cannon. This Varient of Leman Russ has a reputation as a "love it or hate it" tank. Although it is faster and has a lower silloette than other varients it is substantially harder to service.

jason_sation
04-11-2008, 15:54
For a while I have been pondering the concept of a "high Tech" Imperial Guard army. One of the Things slowing my progress was the design of the Leman Russ. What could be done to make it look like it was from a higher tech level world?

Imagine the current Russ if it was about a centimeter longer, and about a centimeter shorter. (lowrider Russ) It would then have Ablative armor along Both sides and a turret from a Predator.

Fluff: This Varient of the russ is constructed on the Forgeworld of (yet to be named). This forgeworld is known for its mobile style of warfare and as such has a vast number of its battle tanks armed with alternatives to the Battle Cannon. This Varient of Leman Russ has a reputation as a "love it or hate it" tank. Although it is faster and has a lower silloette than other varients it is substantially harder to service.

I think you are going for a more modern tank look, right? Like something that would be in service now?

Rioghan Murchadha
04-11-2008, 16:00
Want to make it look higher tech? File off all the rivets and pretend your forgeworld has discovered the STC for a welder.

Da Beard
04-11-2008, 16:01
If you wanted it to be real high tech maybe you could splice of the treads asnd add something that would make it look like it had a hovercraft bottom.

Hrw-Amen
04-11-2008, 16:08
I have considered predator turrets on Russes but I don't think they look right. The angled armour just does not go with the more boxier look. It would be a bit like having a Challenger turret on a Tiger 1 or something, just looks odd.

I do agree though that it would be good to have a slightly up market version and the Russ is very high.

How about just not having a turret but a flat hull. Like on the WWI tanks. Then mounting twin liked weapons in the sponsons like maybe just a heavy bolter or stubber in the forward mount?

How about a Russ turret and hull, (Not th track segments.) mounted on some sort of anti grav base, or a wheeled version?

Znail
05-11-2008, 01:10
Would it be too obvious answer to use bits from modern tank models? :)

Personaly I realy like the idea of using WWII tanks for Predators without spoonsons! Not an idea that GW would approve ofcourse :angel:

Clang
05-11-2008, 05:50
it's tough, because all those low tech rivets and boxy hulls are what give the models most of their character, just like 1930s real tanks. Any 'normal' technological progress would probably follow what happened in our history - replacing rivets with welding as mentioned above, and angled armour like on the T34 and Panther.

Modelling them wouldn't be easy, unless you discard GW models and thus never want to play in tourneys. If you're brave though, it should be possible to lower the Russ suspension by lowering the upper wheels down to the level of the main drive wheels, then add replacement hull sides and angled armour hull tops. A lot of work, but it could look very cool.

Another fluff solution is that the forgeworld is desparately building tanks out of whatever spare parts they can find or repair, their main manufacturing capability having been destroyed, then you have the easier but more expensive option of simply sticking marine bits and IG bits together any way you like, e.g. a predator turret on a Russ. For bonus fluff points, show lots of emergency weld lines and rivets, extra armour welded/bolted on, emergency markings painted over their old marine markings etc.

Captain Gerntass
05-11-2008, 10:12
"Another Fluff solution is that the forgeworld is desparately building tanks out of whatever spare parts they can find or repair, their main manufacturing capability having been destroyed, then you have the easier but more expensive option of simply sticking marine bits and IG bits together any way you like, e.g. a predator turret on a Russ. For bonus Fluff points, show lots of emergency weld lines and rivets, extra armour welded/bolted on, emergency markings painted over their old marine markings etc."

I like this idea cos it means u can play about and do one off models.
Here's an idea for u, check out the thumbnails in the "Blood Pact armoured vehicles" thread and see if u like the models i made, both are based on the chimera hull with a LR turret attached. But its ur imagination so u get the final say.

MrBigMr
05-11-2008, 20:00
For my IG, I'm replacing the side panels with smooth plasticard ones, add some hatches and Predator heavy bolters, also put a Chimera nose HB on the "pilot window" slot and use a plasti card to cover the hull gun mount. Also give it a new engine exhaust and file off all rivets.

Fluff behind it? Simple enough they're from a high-tech world and have both the resources and production capabilities to do such a fine work. I'm also going to use different Chimera models and Valkyrie models, and in general give them a more generic high-tech scifi look.

cailus
05-11-2008, 23:36
Arguably you could use more modern looking tanks.

The Leman Russ is the standard tank of the IG but not the only one.

Just look at Forge World Malacador and Macharius tanks as well as the Death Krop tank in Epic (Siegfried?!?).

The IG and PDF's clearly use a much larger variety of chasis for their armoured needs.