PDA

View Full Version : WOC spc characters

Chain
05-11-2008, 04:05
what is your thoughts about the special character choices in the Warriors of Chaos army book?

any Character you think should had been add?

From the list who'd you be most likely to field?

Which character would you really like to field but doubt you will?(dour to theme or other such reasons)

When I looked in the book a few days ago I was highly surprised in the positive way to see just how many special characters there was.

I found it a little disappointing that Aekold Helbrass hadn't returned but really liked the heroes i saw.
The 2 Heroes that my eyes had the hardest time leaving was "Vakia" and the Dragon Ogre spc character.

Khorghan
05-11-2008, 04:10
If I were up to it I would convert a Troll King and fielld his monstrous horde all converted trolls and monsters.
I cant wait to see some peoples interpretations of this character.

Axis
05-11-2008, 04:39
I think they should have put Crom in. Because Crom is the coolest of all chaos characters imo. Along with OP im annoying Aekold Helbrass is not in it, though he did get mentioned in the italicised stuff on the black tongue piece of wargear.

I doubt i'll field any of the special characters but if i do it'll be wulfrik the wanderer.

John Vaughan
05-11-2008, 05:05
Ditto on Crom. That is the beastliest character model out there.
I've said it in other threads, but I will definitely be going with Vilitch the Curseling. Even if his ability goes unused, the psychological aspect of his ability keeps people from dispelling smaller spells to avoid the risk of giving him more dice. I also want to use Valkia. She better than a daemon princess, and is also not a large target, which is wonderful. Other than that, MAYBE Kholek Suneater (Shaggoth Character) (Only if I want to be a total jerk)

Havock
05-11-2008, 05:19
Kholek is totally awesome. Really :p

When will they release a model for him? The normal shaggoth just won't cut it.
That or let forge world handle this...

Agreed on Crom, he would actually have made an excellent Lord based more around buffing stuff around him. And fairly cheap too.

SolarHammer
05-11-2008, 05:46
EGRIMMMMMMMMM VAN HORSTMANN!!!!!

Oh and Aekold Helbrass was pretty cool too.

And I loved Arbaal the Undefeated...

Count Mordrek sucked though.

John Vaughan
05-11-2008, 05:50
Cool, I've never heard of those...tch, fluffmonsters...

The Red Scourge
05-11-2008, 06:11
I really dislike the amount of special characters. Its like the army was based on them like Wulfrik and his ambush ability, or The Troll King.

I'd have preferred it much more, if they'd spent a little more time developing nuances in the army instead of just light/heavy infantry, light/heavy cavalry or monster. Or if they wanted these abilities restricted to characters, they could have put more time in on those gifts.

Other than that I'm sorry that there no longer is a Dragon Ogre hero/lord option besides Kolec I was really looking forward to having one :)

Cypher, the Emperor
05-11-2008, 06:55
I too miss Hellbrass.

The thought of a badass chaos warrior running around killing people while flowers and little cartoon birdies magically appear.

But the honest truth, He was the most 5th edition character ever, I mean, his armor was RAINBOW coloured.

But he could have had a really badass re-imagining ala the vamp counts characters.

I too miss crom, but mainly for the model, his character wasn't THAT interesting, but that model is awesome. I miss the crazy Kali-style special character that had all the dances too, she was fun.

Pendragon
05-11-2008, 07:02
I too miss Aekold Helbrass and Egrimm van Horstmann.
I'm not a big fan of Wulfric, mostly because of the terrible model, but Valkia and Vilitch are cool and Sigvald is... well, he is ok. Of the new ones, Throgg is definetly my favourite (how can you not love a guy with special rule called "copious vomit"? :D), but it's doubtful if I ever field him.

/Joel

Lordsaradain
05-11-2008, 08:05
Aekold Helbrass and Egrimm van Horstmann would be very cool to see. Maybe in the 8th edition... :p

destroyerlord
05-11-2008, 08:24
Aekold Helbrass was always my favorite, but Crom just has such an awesome model! The thing with Crom is that his old rules are basically standard now. Undivided for marauders? Re-roll panic will do. Compulsory challenges? Standard for all chaos characters. Immunity to magic weapons? Take a rune shield. Its not quite the same but still similar.
But really, the lack of:

The thought of a badass chaos warrior running around killing people while flowers and little cartoon birdies magically appear.
really sums up everything that was wrong with the most recent two chaos books.

Nicha11
05-11-2008, 09:16
Favourite Character: Kholek (most badass monster around)

Least Favourite Character: Festus ( i had such high hopes).

Character i would most like to field: The troll king (monstermash army).

On the whole i love special characters, they add just that little bit extra story (and they always have some unique rules).

Ward.
05-11-2008, 09:16
I quite like the new special characters, sure some of the old ones would have been nice but I like variety dammit.

Personally I can't wait to try out a Valkyrie the Bloody/ throg/ 2 nurgle or slaanesh sorcerers list.

Baragash
05-11-2008, 09:30
I like the concept of Valkia, but for 410 points, she doesn't appear to have a ward save AFAICS

OldMaster
05-11-2008, 09:42
Valkia is an excellent character. Being able to join troops and fly charge out of them, having a 2+ armour save and reducing the S and A of al lthe enemy models in base contact makes her worth the points in my opinion.

I am not sure about Aekold Helbrass reappearing: the book even has an item which was "cut from the head of Aekold Helbrass", the Black Tongue.

Valtiel
05-11-2008, 09:46
I kinda like them all. Good to see an old character return, Scyla that is. Would have loved to see Egrimm van Horstmann, Aekold Helbrass, Dechala, Valnir the Reaper, Mordrek the Damned, Arbaal the Undefeated and plenty of the other good old characters. And Crom for Tzeentch's sake! Egrimm van Horstmann was mentioned in the timeline and one of the magic items are made from the tongue of Aekold Helbrass I think, so does that mean good old Aekold is dead?

EDIT: You got it before me OldMaster. :P

Lister of Smee
05-11-2008, 09:47
I am very excited by the arrival of the Troll King.

I have always wanted to make an army of big chaos monsters and this book has opened the doors.

Leogun_91
05-11-2008, 09:51
I like Galrauch with his impossible line of sixes and I have thought about making a monster horde with him as lord and Throgg as hero and not a single human model.

Matt1982
05-11-2008, 10:56
Kholek Suneater definately steals the show for me out of the new characters. I've always been a dragon ogre fan but the idea of a massive, armour plated dragon ogre that dwarfs city walls marching to battle surrounded by storm clouds that blot out the sun is very funky :D

Aekold was always an old favourite of mine, any idea if there's any fluff anywhere about what happened to him, given that his tongue's now turning up as a magical item?

Was a bit worried looking in the army book to see all those old champions being pictured, strikes me as a bit lazy that they're having to hark back to those (all be it beautiful) seriously old models for lack of new ones to point out.

Pendragon
05-11-2008, 11:21
I am not sure about Aekold Helbrass reappearing: the book even has an item which was "cut from the head of Aekold Helbrass", the Black Tongue.

Then again, he did have the nasty habit of healing himself...

/Joel

cold0
05-11-2008, 11:29
The problem that WoC is based on the SCs. Many abilities, useful for the army, are restricted to the SCs. So if one wants the "miners-style movement" needs Wulfric, to give regeneration to the Warriors needs Festus, to use the Trolls as core units needs Throgg. Essentially the WoC are far less effective without them. So, I love them so much.

KharnTheBetrayer01
05-11-2008, 11:42
Love them all. The closest thing Chaos have to a bad SC is a dragon. A dragon people!

Even festus is nice to have around, if only for regen on a 5+ for chosen or marauders.

Favourite has to be Wulfric. He's not overly mutated, he's just a guy with a ship who happens to like killing and be really good at it. He's not looking for power, he's just sailing the winds, killing people who look at him funny.

He gives me a good reason to bring a pure marauder army too (Plus gribblies. I'm thinking spawn)

And who doesn't love Suneater? The guy can (on average) take down a Great Unclean One in a single round of combat.

Odin
05-11-2008, 11:53
Egrimm van Horstman was always the least special special character ever. Just take an Exalted Sorcerer of Tzeentch riding a Chaos Dragon, with the Chaos Runesword and Skull of Katam. That basically is van Horstmann.

I agree it would have been nice to see Helbrass.

Valkia looks fun, and I intend to use her at some stage. Problem is, I think she ought to be in an all-Khorne army, except that really isn't feasible. Her lack of magic resistance is very odd, for someone so favoured by Khorne.

Kholek Suneater is a lot of fun. If normal Dragon Ogres had a weakened version of his lightning power, they might actually be worth their points.

I'd have liked to see Count Mordrek return, but you can't have everything.

gortexgunnerson
05-11-2008, 12:57
I definately dont think Crom should have returned, he was dulll and the model was just a nice choas lord model. Their was nothing special about him. On the new characters I do like the selection and the range of gods covered, but chaos does always fall down on the mega character issue. If you have a God like character e.g. a dragon orge bigger then castle walls, Teclis, Kroak, were do you draw the line in abilities. Is always a hard balance but I think it has been done in WoC much better then in deamons.

I like a number of the characters and Im half inching to taking a few different ones to go with my chaos mortals. But their is no definately oh wow Im having Karios, masque and scribes!

So I think the characters are good, but in the power world of 7th no having a great selection of wards could lead to an expense splating sound if faced with cannon!

loveless
05-11-2008, 14:47
Oh, I like most of the characters. Sigvald strikes me as the most entertaining, but then I've always loved Slaanesh. Valkia is a fun concept, Archaon is pretty much a steal for his points value, and Wulfrik's ambush is useful in almost any list.

A few things struck me weird about the special characters (Besides the lack of models). Festus has no Chaos Armour. Valkia isn't Frenzied (though that's a good thing). Archaon can be Killing Blow-ed (Killing Blew? :p) - it just weirds me out when the "big" characters can be killed in one hit...Archaon, Franz, Malekith, etc.

I'll probably try to field Sigvald at some point. Either that or just use his model for a foot character. I'm also exceedingly interested in using the lord of sixes, Galrauch, but not sure how well he'd fair.

Chain
05-11-2008, 15:24
Oh, I like most of the characters. Sigvald strikes me as the most entertaining, but then I've always loved Slaanesh. Valkia is a fun concept, Archaon is pretty much a steal for his points value, and Wulfrik's ambush is useful in almost any list.

A few things struck me weird about the special characters (Besides the lack of models). Festus has no Chaos Armour. Valkia isn't Frenzied (though that's a good thing). Archaon can be Killing Blow-ed (Killing Blew? :p) - it just weirds me out when the "big" characters can be killed in one hit...Archaon, Franz, Malekith, etc.

I'll probably try to field Sigvald at some point. Either that or just use his model for a foot character. I'm also exceedingly interested in using the lord of sixes, Galrauch, but not sure how well he'd fair.

Malekith can't be 1 hit killed, it say on his armor that he can only ever lose 1 wound a hit and even killingblow will simply do 1 wound.

Havock
05-11-2008, 16:07
I like Valkia too, her rules are 'non-khornish' enough to warrant a good 'counts as' converison.

loveless
05-11-2008, 20:34
Malekith can't be 1 hit killed, it say on his armor that he can only ever lose 1 wound a hit and even killingblow will simply do 1 wound.

Oh, does Killing Blow say "loses all wounds" instead of "killed outright"? I honestly haven't read the section in awhile. Or is it noted on the Armour of Midnight?

Anyway, I was more including Malekith as another example of a "big" character - one with major Fluff importance. Now I wish I had my books handy since I'm doubting my memory on the Armour of Morkar now.

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
05-11-2008, 20:45
Wait, isn't Archaeon on a bigger base then a normal guy on horse? I think that makes him US 3 and thus immune to killing blow.

loveless
05-11-2008, 20:55
Wait, isn't Archaeon on a bigger base then a normal guy on horse? I think that makes him US 3 and thus immune to killing blow.

True, the base is larger, but the Steed of the Apocalypse only has 1 wound now...although if it's just base size that dictates KB, then characters on Juggers, Daemonic Mounts, Discs, and Palanquins (all 1 wound) got an impressive little boost.

Might be worth somebody pulling up the quote from the BRB on Unit Strength/Base Size (again, my book's not handy).

Malorian
05-11-2008, 20:56
I was amazed by the amount of special characters and think it's a very good thing.

I wouldn't want to see every army have a special character, but these ones all seem balanced and interesting.

The only thing that make me smile is how people like the troll king so much. If you really want an army of monsters then why aren't you playing ogres? :)

If I was going to take one it would be Valkia, and I'd use the Sophie model from Reaper.

Nesbet
05-11-2008, 21:16
I miss too Aekold, and Crom!
Count Mordrek was cool, it could have been a forsaken spc character now...

Anyways, time has gone by... and Aekold no longer exists.

I like Throgg, but I'll never field him. IMHO, Crom should be in the book, Aekold maybe, but now its dead, and Count Mordrek should/could be in the book aswell.

sulla
05-11-2008, 22:33
The only thing that make me smile is how people like the troll king so much. If you really want an army of monsters then why aren't you playing ogres? :)

Maybe because these are the sort of players who want to use monsters and chaos knights... ;)

Or because they've been hypnotised by the internet which tells them ogres are rubbish so they slavishly follow?:evilgrin:

sulla
05-11-2008, 22:33
Then again, he did have the nasty habit of healing himself...

/Joel
So unlimited Black tongue choices for warriors of chaos characters then? ;):p:evilgrin:

Urgat
06-11-2008, 08:28
Throgg, of course! I even have a placeholder for him for the time being (a two-headed troll), and I've had the army for a long time :D
Should try him this week end actually, and that would be the first time ever that I use a special character.

Pendragon
06-11-2008, 09:56
So unlimited Black tongue choices for warriors of chaos characters then? ;):p:evilgrin:

It definetly seems like there's more than one floating around out there, doesn't it?:D

/Joel

Vile Druchii
06-11-2008, 10:26
I love the Troll King! Something about a huge army of gribbly monsters really appeals to me! Which I think is the difference between them and Ogre Kingdoms. A troll army just seems a lot more monstrous.

And I think Aekold is actually still alive. If I remember correctly, he had two different back stories, one of which said he was a Swordmaster and one where he was an Empire noble. I think in both of them he cut his tongue out when he turned to Chaos though.

Aladin_sane
06-11-2008, 17:05
Bring in Be'lakor!

Chain
07-11-2008, 00:11
I love the Troll King! Something about a huge army of gribbly monsters really appeals to me! Which I think is the difference between them and Ogre Kingdoms. A troll army just seems a lot more monstrous.

And I think Aekold is actually still alive. If I remember correctly, he had two different back stories, one of which said he was a Swordmaster and one where he was an Empire noble. I think in both of them he cut his tongue out when he turned to Chaos though.

Looking at his character the Swordmaster would be an obvious assumption, but could you mention where to get this background story?

Cognitave
07-11-2008, 04:41
True, the base is larger, but the Steed of the Apocalypse only has 1 wound now...although if it's just base size that dictates KB, then characters on Juggers, Daemonic Mounts, Discs, and Palanquins (all 1 wound) got an impressive little boost.

Might be worth somebody pulling up the quote from the BRB on Unit Strength/Base Size (again, my book's not handy).

It says in the BRB that models on 40/50mm bases must be on foot to get the US of 3.

And it says in the WoC book "Note that Juggernauts, Disks, Daemonic Mounts, and Palanquins are cavalry mounts even though they are not on the 25x50mm base"

Oh, and it is the Armor of Midnight for Malekith. It says "Multiple wounds or kill outright" as is KB.

Count Demandred
07-11-2008, 08:52
Well I for one am LIVID - that being from a VC player's point of view - that GW have decided to pack full the WOC armybook with pointless Special Characters, yet take away our only unique character in Zacharias the Everliving.

And not only that, three of our Characters are dead (well in true sense of the word)! WHAT THE HELL!

I mean they gave them a Troll, Dragon Ogre, Spawn, Dragon and Marauder/Seafarer characters, yet couldn't include a SINGLE NON VON CARSTIEN? It seriously baffles me to no end!

As for the WOC characters themselves... Well personally I can see how they've tried to make Wulfrik and Scyla unique (in that one can enter from anywhere and the other being a Rare choice), but they're seriously nothing characters. Same too with Festus, I was amazed to read that he was worth 180 odd points, he's practically useless as far as I can tell.

Wulfrik's the cliche'd 'doomed to walk the earth' character whose idea was clearly concieved within two minutes. And Scyla, a special character as a Rare choice? WHY?

Mind you, I absolutely love Prince Sigvald. And the Tzeench and Khorne characters are well powerful!

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
07-11-2008, 09:22
I'm still not sure if the khorne deamon princess is supposed to be able to join units or not. It just seems like a mistake more than anything else.

Count Demandred
07-11-2008, 09:34
Who was Count Mordrek, out of interest?

What was his deal?

Odin
07-11-2008, 09:41
It definetly seems like there's more than one floating around out there, doesn't it?:D

/Joel

Do people ever use the Black Tongue? Seems like a useless and horribly overpriced item to me.

Who was Count Mordrek, out of interest?

What was his deal?

He was a special character in 4th/5th edition. Basically he was constantly mutating, so at the start of the game you'd randomise his stats, and then you'd re-roll them during the game. He couldn't join units or be the general though, just rode around on a chaos steed.

Well I for one am LIVID - that being from a VC player's point of view - that GW have decided to pack full the WOC armybook with pointless Special Characters, yet take away our only unique character in Zacharias the Everliving.

And not only that, three of our Characters are dead (well in true sense of the word)! WHAT THE HELL!

I mean they gave them a Troll, Dragon Ogre, Spawn, Dragon and Marauder/Seafarer characters, yet couldn't include a SINGLE NON VON CARSTIEN? It seriously baffles me to no end!

As for the WOC characters themselves... Well personally I can see how they've tried to make Wulfrik and Scyla unique (in that one can enter from anywhere and the other being a Rare choice), but they're seriously nothing characters. Same too with Festus, I was amazed to read that he was worth 180 odd points, he's practically useless as far as I can tell.

Wulfrik's the cliche'd 'doomed to walk the earth' character whose idea was clearly concieved within two minutes. And Scyla, a special character as a Rare choice? WHY?

Why not? He's basically a better chaos spawn, so Rare is where he belongs. I'm really pleased he's back. He was always one of my favourite spoecial characters.

But I do agree that the VC and WoC books appear to be written by completely different companies. WoC got a huge variety of special characters, but VCs got a superb selection of Vampyric Powers and Magic Standards compared to the rubbish Gifts and Standards that Chaos got. Some sort of consistency would be nice.

Mullitron
07-11-2008, 09:54
I like some of the special characters in the new book and i do like the way they have started to introduce special characters that arnt simply uber hard lord choices. There are a few old characters i would of liked to of seen tho, Arbaal the undefeated would of been nice as ive always been a khorne fan

DeadPoem
07-11-2008, 10:01
As u speak about chaos special character, i wanna ask something about that. Is belakor a WoC SC now? Why they left him behind, and he is counted neither in WoC nor in DoC army books? His stats can be found only in storm of chaos right?

TonyFlow
07-11-2008, 10:23
I love the variety of the special characters in the new WOC book. I especially like the monster characters. I am trying to build a Throgg right now (see sig), and if it goes well i will definitely keep on making monsters for a monster army.
And the reason for my not playing OK is i dont like the OK fluff, i dont like the OK models (at least in WOC they get Chaos Armour which makes a basis for very cool conversions), i dont like gnoblars etc. I am not so interesed in wether they are a winning army or not, as i dont think a monster army is going to do so well either.

Ward.
07-11-2008, 11:28
As u speak about chaos special character, i wanna ask something about that. Is belakor a WoC SC now? Why they left him behind, and he is counted neither in WoC nor in DoC army books? His stats can be found only in storm of chaos right?

Apparently the storm of chaos hasn't happened "yet".

Neknoh
07-11-2008, 11:34
In WoC, the Storm has not happened yet, unlike the Vampire Counts book, might have happened in Empire as well

I think most authors (except Thorpe and someone else) is trying to place the world before the Storm, simply because the campaign was awfully organised.

Now, Be'Lakor is IN the book in story-form, or at least he is mentioned and him wanting the crown of the everchosen for himself etc. However, he doesn't exist as a special character.

Now, as for the characters, I love all of them, except Wulfrik, poor exchange for Crom I'd say.

Shame my local gaming group don't like special characters :(

Count Demandred
07-11-2008, 12:47
He was a special character in 4th/5th edition. Basically he was constantly mutating, so at the start of the game you'd randomise his stats, and then you'd re-roll them during the game. He couldn't join units or be the general though, just rode around on a chaos steed.

Cheers, I did a search and found his back-story. Don't quite like the cliche' 'doomed to walk the earth' theme he's got going on, but, at the risk of being contradictory, I quite like the fact he's a tragic figure.

Why not? He's basically a better chaos spawn, so Rare is where he belongs. I'm really pleased he's back. He was always one of my favourite spoecial characters.

But I do agree that the VC and WoC books appear to be written by completely different companies. WoC got a huge variety of special characters, but VCs got a superb selection of Vampyric Powers and Magic Standards compared to the rubbish Gifts and Standards that Chaos got. Some sort of consistency would be nice.

It's not so much the fact he's a Rare choice SC, it's more the fact they've got an over-abundance of Special Characters. It seems like overkill to me.

As for the Vampiric Powers, well the book (and powers included) pretty much force you to go for a Magic-oriented Vampire character - if you want to be extremely competative. The fact that two of the three 'Blood Dragon' related powers are simply equipment upgrades is proposterous, though I do see where they're coming from... But maybe some other bonus too (with appropriate point increase) or some variation would've been better.

W0lf
07-11-2008, 15:47
Id really have liked to see Ergruim van horstmen make the cut over vilitch. Vilitch has cool rules but his background makes him instantly dislikable imo. Crom would also have been really cool and im suprised they didnt put him in.

As for the characters in the book, im in love with sigivalds background, slaaneshes spoilt child is so cool lol. Its nice to see Galrauch made it in aswell.

By the way was anyone else dissapointed the rumoured 'Archeon aspiring' wasnt included?

Weldo Rubin
07-11-2008, 17:21
I like the Warriors of Chaos Special Characters, even though I find it strange that they didn't revive more old ones than Scyla Anfinngrim. My ultimate favourites are Valkia and, of course, Kholek Suneater. Prince Sigvald and Throgg are pretty cool too.

I'm happy to see that the Background of this book is set before the Storm of Chaos! This makes me kind of... 'regain my respect' for Archaon, when rereading his story.
It's a shame they didn't do the same in Dwarfs, Orcs & Goblins, The Empire, Vampire Counts, and, to a certain degree, Daemons of Chaos

Vilitch has cool rules but his Background makes him instantly dislikable IMO.

I second that.

Havock
07-11-2008, 17:55
I miss too Aekold, and Crom!
Count Mordrek was cool, it could have been a forsaken spc character now...

Anyways, time has gone by... and Aekold no longer exists.

I like Throgg, but I'll never field him. IMHO, Crom should be in the book, Aekold maybe, but now its dead, and Count Mordrek should/could be in the book aswell.

Actually, Aekold is alive & kicking.

Right now he's 'kicking back' on some hot tropical island, living of the fortunes he keeps amassing from selling various body parts. All the while banging hot elf chicks and keeping in touch with his former employer.

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
07-11-2008, 22:28

Agreed. And I'd trade the special characters for decent standards and gifts any day. I much prefer to build my own characters.

W0lf
07-11-2008, 23:02
Oh ofc.

I dont understand why we have to have ****** magic items because our characters are naturally hard. Kind of defeats the object of having hard characters dosnt it?

Bad items + having to challenge really has nerfed chaos combat heros in this book.

The True Mooseman
07-11-2008, 23:25
I think the special characters in the new book are some of the best GW has produced in a while. I personally don't like throgg, but thats from a fluff point of view - he has no back story and no real aim, he's just sort of there. His in game value is awesome though. I also like what they did with sigvald, to show another side to Chaos other than spiky knees. We all knew it was there, but it never got a representation in the model range.

Most likely to use? Well, I love Kholek, but I have to agree that it would need the right model, and I'm pretty sure GW won't ever get around to it, so I'm really hoping one of these indie companies will pick it up and do an 'armoured half-dragon' the size of a suitcase. Only then would I feel justified in fielding the grandaddy (or son-of-grandaddy) of all monsters.

One thing I did think was that most of these characters are brand new. Now this is fine, but I was kinda hoping that GW would expand on some of the characters that just got brief mentions in HoC - guys like Korpus Festerheart, Engra Deathsword or Valnir the Reaper, who look and sound really cool and never really got more than the briefest mention. Actually, what I really wish is that they'd gone the historical route, like VC. I really want to field Asavar Kul! As far as I can tell, he didn't need to be the Everchosen or carry a wagonful of magic items, he just badassed his way south. Thats the true spirit of Chaos.

Havock
07-11-2008, 23:57
We need forgeworld for Kholek :p

veilwalker
08-11-2008, 01:33
I for one do not want forgeworld as they would charge an arm, a leg, your first born and your neighbors left hand just to be on the waiting list for one of their models.

How many people have fielded these Special Characters and with what results? I am really torn on fielding Galrauch and Vislitch together or fielding Kholek and either Galrauch or Vislitch. (3k or 4k pt game).

The potential for throwing out 2 Infernal Gateways a turn is very tempting but throwing that s6 lightning bolt every turn is pretty sweet as well.

Von Wibble
08-11-2008, 12:08
As someone who prefers slaanesh I am disappointed there is only 1 slaaneshi SC (daemons only got 1 too - would Azazel have been so hard to include? Far too much love of Khorne there)

Bring back Dechala! And bring back Valnir the Reaper!

By which I mean also make a model....

Best SCs in the book imo

Valkia
Sigvald (love the fact that he destroyed a city just because the wine produced there wasn't up to his standards! And being primarily an elf player I like the model)

Worst

Galrauch - just because he's pretty much unusable - the Tyrion of his book.

Kalec
09-11-2008, 07:57
Two tzeentch lords but no tzeentch heroes?

Villitch as a hero could have been the perfect way to keep the tzeentch warrior-mage in the book. Combat stats of an exalted champ, casting of a level 2 mage with mot, a bit of mundane gear, and an awesomely high points cost. Instead, we get a frail sorcerer lord with only marginally better combat ability.

Shamfrit
09-11-2008, 08:18
Why is the lvl 4 insanely strong and hard to kill terror causing breath firing dragon lord 'useless?'

Daemonia
09-11-2008, 08:57
Galrauch is badass.

I'm satisfied with the characters. Some old nasties back again, some new players that seem fun and interesting (love that Sigvald, his lore articles make me giggle) and it's good enough for me. The Erik the Viking character is also a spot of fun too.

Shamfrit
09-11-2008, 09:07
That was in response to a previous poster, I was asking him why - can't remember who though, lol.

Daemonia
09-11-2008, 09:38
That was in response to a previous poster, I was asking him why - can't remember who though, lol.

Von Wibble.

I personally agree with his love of Sigvald but disagree with his Khorne-hating :P

Galrauch being useless like Tyrion though is a bit unusual a statement though. I'd like to hear why :P

Da Boyzz
09-11-2008, 10:45

But wouldn't it be wierd to be running Helbrass with a sorcerer using 'The Black Tongue".

Guess that's why he isn't included... the guy is long dead and his memory will forever live on when we make our opponents misscast.

Dave_Loken
09-11-2008, 11:01
I agree about Aekold and Crom but i would have really liked Belakor in at least one of the army books. First demon prince still bitter wanting to rule such a shame. And by the way he is one of the best models ever so i think I'll include him anyway. P.s love all the characters because they give each army a nice theme.

OldMaster
09-11-2008, 11:32
The thing with Be'Lakor is that he is famous for leading Deamons, not mortals.

Axis
09-11-2008, 12:44
I honestly don't understand the people who say Crom is dull.

Odin
09-11-2008, 15:01

Er, he's a bog-standard chaos lord with a couple of dull special abilities.

loveless
09-11-2008, 23:02

While his background may be interesting, Crom's rules are ultimately dull. I mean, woo, I make you fight with a hand weapon or I get Red Fury (essentially) from the Vampires (in a challenge). The lack of a magic weapon also adds to the dull factor.

Axis
10-11-2008, 06:29
Ok. So i guess the people who don't like Crom are those who want flashy rules and super weaponry.

I think his model and his background are absolutely badass. Not to mention he is great value for points.

Havock
10-11-2008, 13:20
Crom is so badass, he doesn't need a magic weapon. Nor do you :p

Von Wibble
10-11-2008, 17:35
Von Wibble.

I personally agree with his love of Sigvald but disagree with his Khorne-hating :P

Galrauch being useless like Tyrion though is a bit unusual a statement though. I'd like to hear why :P

Its not that I hate Khorne - its just that there are 3 khorne characters and only 1 slanneshi in daemon book. At least the chaos book is more balanced in worship of gods (except tzeentch).

Galrauch - you get a sorceror lord of tzeentch on chaos dragon for just 24pts more, plus magic items. Shamfrit - That's a level 4 wizard on top of an insanely strong and hard to kill monster - 3 extra wounds and 3 extra attacks.;)

You lose breath of change (which is 1 shot and replaces normal breath for a round so is situational), 1 ld (dragons not being noted for being near enough to your own troops for that to be of significance) ,-3I on the dragon (oh no!) and -6 BS (:cries::p ) but have vastly more customisablilty, better combat ability, and most importantly you don't just stand there and attack yourself on average 1 turn of the battle. That makes Galrauch look pretty useless to me - I'd rather have a daemon prince or sorceror on dragon.

Tyrion - to clarify why I don't rate him he is double the price of a prince with full kit and no more killy (considerably less with talisman of loec). Unkillablilty is great but not on such an expensive (and no immune to fear) model who generates on average only 3-4 Cr. Tyrion can't win combats alone and is too expensive to throw in with support. A prince is usually a much better option

Hence my comparison of the 2 - both are imo far inferior to their equivalent character choice. If Tyrion got something to boost attacks or D3 wounds, and galrauch had a unique spell and points cut either could be useable but not atm.