PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have army ADD?

DoubleD
05-11-2008, 08:24
Hey guys, I have been playing Warhammer Fantasy for a little over 2 years, and since I started I have never really been able to settle on an army that I can call my own. Right now I have a quite sizable Empire army, and a largish Tomb Kings force, but I just can't seem to stick with either of them! I have also owned Warriors of Chaos and Vampire Counts but managed to sell them off. Is there some way to break this funk? Have I just not found the right army for my play style, or is it something else?

I hope I am not alone in this quite expensive conundrum, and am looking for a the cure!

Coram_Boy
05-11-2008, 08:31
Nope, I've had the same problem. Try choosing something unusual like skaven or lizardmen as they have new content soon coming out (and there's a good reason to buy the skaven battalion I have so far neglected) also, I find that if you convert cheaper models instead of buying the more expensive ones ie making ratling guns from clanrats) its quite fun and satisfying.
still, I have gone from O & G to Empire to Dwarfs to Skaven, and have 750 + pts in all of them (my club rarely plays bigger games) so I'm satisfied with that.

KharnTheBetrayer01
05-11-2008, 11:48
Welcome to the wonderful world of army lust.

I know the feeling. Must have three or four lists for every living army (never got into undead barring a brief sojourn into Zombie Pirates. They died by the shipload and I loved every minute of it.)

Cures?

Decide on an army list before bying models. Come up with the best one possible, then use it as a template of what not to use. Go for the most fun army you can and try and win with that instead (Vampire counts with one vampire, two corpse carts and nothing else but zombies. A high elf army without dragons. A Dark elf army that isn't an asassin delivery system)

It won't solve your problem, but it will change it slightly.

Quetzl
05-11-2008, 12:09
Say to yourself that your part of that team. So say, I'm a Dwarf player nowadays, and I've had nothing else but Dwarfs for 2 years. And I just think ya'know all the other armies are crap cause Dwarfs are the place to be - it's not true, but it's stopped me from bolstering up on all these new releases and armies.

I used to be the same about 10 years ago, I started on Eldar, and then with every new release I'd start an army. I never really stuck to anything and I was crap with all 6 of em'... My Dad stuck to 2, and he'd always woop my ass. He new how to work with the whole collect and endure thing - and I think I've managed to achieve this now!

march10k
05-11-2008, 13:44
Decide on an army list before bying models. Come up with the best one possible, then use it as a template of what not to use.

Excellent advice! I have a ton of models in several armies where I went shopping, then designed a list, then started painting...needless to say, I have a ton of those models still on the sprue.

More recently, I've built army lists and floated them on a variety of forums before buying models, and I've only bought $100 worth at a time, then painted them before buying more.

Braad
05-11-2008, 16:32
I'm on of the lucky few who buy an army and stick to it forever... 4,5 years and counting on O&G. I did plan a beasts army, but haven't been able to stop painting orcs!

So, there is your answer. Go with orcs :) Gotta love those greenies!

DoubleD
05-11-2008, 17:49
Yeah I think what I need to do is find an army that is more "elite" Empire and Tomb Kings are cool, but I guess its not my playstyle. Maybe Elves or Dwarfs.

Anton
05-11-2008, 18:17
I don't have 'army ADD', I have 'army OCD' (I really have OCD).

In the past, when trying to pick an army, I got these doubts - "Was this a good choice?", "Hmm, maybe that army is cooler." It started gnawing, and ended up with me being unable to choose.

Thankfully, I've gotten past that. In my case, it was all about going with my feeling. Picking what I felt like, without analyzing too much. And when the choice had been made, stick to it, no matter what.

Laurela
05-11-2008, 18:25
yes, I suffer from this badly 8(, I only have 2 playable armies at 2k+ points, and about 6 other armies between 500-1000, I keep changing what I want.

Zoolander
05-11-2008, 18:42
I have the exact same issue. I have 7 armies, not including two that I don't play. I still have my favorite, but tire of playing them every time, so I flounder from army to army.

wingedserpant
05-11-2008, 18:46
I did but when I realsied I kept going back to my Orcs and Goblins I figured I best stay with them. I can play any type of list with them so it makes sense.

Even if I age ten years everytime I play vampire counts.

W0lf
05-11-2008, 19:01
I think everyone gets this a little. Im the biggest sucker for 'new army syndrome', a serious illness i assure you.

However chaos where my first fantasy love and i cant find a army i like as much as them, i always go crawling back to my chaos :P

One of my mates is like this with his skaven, in a year he hasnt been able to find an army he wants to do other then skaven.

loveless
05-11-2008, 21:45
Oh, I know this feeling.

I've gone down the path of Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Warriors of Chaos, Dwarfs, Empire, Skaven, Tomb Kings, and Vampire Counts. I'm still working out which army I want to get "serious" with...especially since I moved and the new locale doesn't seem too keen on my massive proxy-playing :D

Freakiq
05-11-2008, 22:01
Used to have it a few years back but nowadays I've managed to stick to a single army at a time.

The trick is to gett a few units painted and put them on display in your house, the sight of them will inspire you to continue with your army.

FurryMiguell
05-11-2008, 22:13
well, being that I have actual ADD (not ADHD...), and being a nutorious warhammer player and army-builder, I have quite a lot of half done projects. The following are armies I have decided I would get to 2k pts, but never managed more than 1k:

Skaven
HE
Chaos mortals
Chaos daemons
DE cult of slaanesh
Goblin wolfriders
Nightgoblin horde
Empire Araby themed army
Empire Stirland army
Tombkings
(and a number of 40k armies)

I find that I only get worse as time goes on! These days I only get the spesific units I want at the time, and then I hope I have an army to fit them into.

Armies that I have at 2k+
DE
(a 1,5k SM force)

Nabeshin1106
05-11-2008, 23:02
Oh yeah, I have it, but it's changed as time has gone on.

For about a year, the only army I had was Dwarfs. They were cool, but they were way too static for my tastes.

When HE came out, I was drawn in by the Lion Chariots and theme of a quick hitting force. They were good, especially when I started incorporating Dragon Princes into my force.

I then started a mono-Slaanesh daemon army, something I had wanted to do ever since I started the hobby. This is my army. This is my dream force. Fast models, quick hitters, high A, but get knocked down by a stiff breeze. Wonderful.

This is when it it hit me that I love Cavalry/Fast models. I don't care so much about shooting, magic is good, but I want to be across the table beating people's faces in as quick as possible. This revelation brought me to my current project, Bretonnians, which I think are really cool, and I love painting them, but I still feel my Daemons are my favorite.

Warriors of Chaos is tempting me to make an all cav force with them as well, maybe ally them with my Daemons for some big games. We'll see.

isidril93
06-11-2008, 19:57
well you need to choose one...but the one you really like. even if you need to imagine yourself as a commander as a force. are you a skeleton using necromancy or an empire commander ordering cannons to fire?

Tokamak
06-11-2008, 20:05
Theme your armies.

Your army will feel more like it's your own, and not just a bunch of collected models, it also forces you to think more deeply about the models you want to buy. This whole thirst keeps hitting me, but experience has told me that whenever I feel such a rush coming up, just wait a month or two before you start buying anything, chances are you're already distracted by something else again.

Draig
06-11-2008, 20:35
What I tend to do is steal great new models from the new shiny armies and convert them for my Orcs so the army keeps going but I get new toys to play with. In the end though, its the fluff that keeps me with my Orcs, I love them regardless of how they play.

mistformsquirrel
06-11-2008, 21:08
Not *precisely* in the manner you describe - but yes, I have Army ADD in spades.

Every 20 minutes or so it seems I've come up with another army I'd like to make at some point.

Thankfully I'm focusing on my Chaos Army until its DONE because frankly, I don't have the money to do what else I want. >.< yet...

As soon as this Chaos army is finished though... muwahahahaa... (someone save me <;_;>)

feeder
07-11-2008, 01:56
Army ADD? Somewhat...
I have a mostly finished 3k O&G army
a nearly completed 2.5k OK army
an entirely unassembled 2.5k HE army
the humble beginnings of an Empire army
resisting the urge to jump on the Daemon auto-win bandwagon

I can't seem to finish a project before another catches my eye.
Oh, new models.....oh, new models....oh, new models.....oh, new models.....

Then there is all my 40K crap...

Tzeentch Loyalist
07-11-2008, 02:25
Hmmm.. well I have Dark Elves, Dwarves, Warriors of Chaos, Beast of Chaos, Daemons of Chaos, Empire, and Orcs and Goblins.

Dark Elves are my Main army considering I have dang near every model in the range (I have 3 assassin models, 1 old, 1 new, and shadowblade) and almost all of them are painted. I love the Dark Elves and they are my primary army. but they were not my first, that was orcs and goblins. I played them in 5th edition and was pretty good with them. Sixth edition they were weaker but I stuck with them. However I did get tired of losing with them so I switched to Dark Elves (noticed my mistake here?) But I loved the models and really tried to make them work. The few games I did win with them I upset my opponents because I beat them with a gun line and hydra. I love the Dark Elves now in 7th because it is how I pictured them and it was how I played them in 6th, but I don't think they are broken (however I do love hearing it after how they were in 6th... and from a VC player no less). I am one who is dissapointed with the new orc book, but still have hope that they will be effective. I had Hordes and Beast in sixth, but when the new daemon book came out and with the new warriors book out now, I had just enough models to make a small force of each (except for beast, I have pleanty of those). So I am expanding both daemons and warriors. The Empire army I have was a pet project in 6th, making an army of knights an milita lead by warrior priests. It was a fun army to play and 7th made it more so with the addition of the arch lector (no i do not have a war alter). And with the dwarves, I bought the battle for skull pass, the army box set of plastic death, a few hero models and 1 unit of Iron breakers and I had well over 2500pt army... It was great.

Oh, and the drak elves are the only fully painted army I possess, but not every one of my dark elves are painted...

(I also have a chaos marines and Ork army for 40k)

DoubleD
07-11-2008, 07:15
Another problem is that because I switch up so much is that nothing ever gets painted :cries:

For now I have managed to stave off the desire to start up a Warriors of Chaos list and am sticking with my Empire....hopefully.

DigbyWeapon
07-11-2008, 07:28
Haha, I think a lot of people go through this mate.
I started Wood Elves and then went to High Elves, my reason was because my friend collected High Elves and I thought they looked cooler than my elves.

Turns out...when i contacted him a short while back he started collecting wood elves :P

If you start a new army that you really like, my advice is to do this with a friend, get him to collect an army, then you can both collect and paint together, and I am pretty sure you'll get more out of it.

Another good idea is to collect an army with really expensive points wise?
You will paint less of them, and have a 2000pt army sooner than collecting, say Skaven? Or Goblins?

Maybe Ogres, if you like them that is?
Or High Elves?

Digby

yoshimo
07-11-2008, 08:35
i'm currently working on about 5k of daemon 'auto-win' and ironically finding it difficult to resist the call of chaos...