PDA

View Full Version : The Fallen army theme

Dabalrog
06-11-2008, 18:18
I am interested in starting a SM army with some style. I have been thinking about doing a deathwing(or doublewing), but I want something to make it stand out from the rest. Originally I was going to just make some kind of renegade marine force, but then I got interested in the fluff behind the Fallen.

It seems like a cool idea, especially since I will be using DA rules. But I have no idea what the Fallen look like(aside from Cypher), and only know the basic info about their background.

Anyone have any good ideas for painting/modeling/background for building a Fallen-themed army?

Firstborn
06-11-2008, 18:54
They look like original Dark Angels. Black armoured Marines. Nothing else to make them different to standard Marines, really, as the Wings weren't formed officially until later (as far as I know). This says to me that you can use either the DA book or the normal Marine book (staying away from Scouts and special characters). I would also stay away from Vehicles though.

TwilightOdyssey
06-11-2008, 18:54
Fallen would fit nicely into a Black Templars list. :)

emperorpenguin
06-11-2008, 21:31
They look like original Dark Angels. Black armoured Marines. .

But if you look at page 24 of Codex: Chaos Space Marines you'll see a pic of a Fallen Angel in green power armour. I just love it when GW get their own fluff wrong..... :rolleyes:

My vote would be for Chaos codex but stay away from marked units

PotatoLegs
06-11-2008, 22:02
Well the choice to paint your fallen as either dark green or black is totally up to you - there's no official fluff whatsoever of what colour Fallen Angels would paint their armour as so its down to the aesthetic choice of the person who owns that army, and the fluff behind the army will describe why they've chosen that particular colour scheme - Cypher after all is described as having green armour, and it'd make sense he'd want to pass as a Dark Angel to people who wouldn't know better.

I second the idea of using the Chaos Codex too

HsojVvad
06-11-2008, 22:38
I wouldn't use the DA codex since it is they who are hunting you. Unless you are saying that the Fallen are acting like DA so they look like DA and have a better chance to survive.

This way people will think they are DA and not Fallen. Or something like that.

PirateRobotNinjaofDeath
06-11-2008, 22:58
The theme of my fallen army has been black armour covered with the broken-sword imagery on cypher's shoulder pad. The Dark Angels changed the colour of their power armour to green, and terminator/cloaks to bone for symbolic reasons that all post-dated the fall of Caliban.
I chose to go with the black pre-heresy armour style, similar to what you see in the ravenwing. The problem has been that pre-heresy dark angels wore black armour and black cloaks which looks really...bland. You basically just prime your models, highlight the edges grey, paint on some silver and thats it.
I ended up using heavy amounts of red (red ink on white) to get some contrast, as well as heavy use of white script and imagery (broken swords etc).

If you want fluffy army composition, remember the actual fallen are all tens of thousands of years old, so are seriously seasoned veterans (ie sternguard). They'd likely have limited access to equipment such as tanks (unless you can explain it through fluff), and limited new initiates (ie no scouts). I largely use drop pods and infantry.
Use the DA codex if you want, since they essentially ARE dark angels don't feel that you have to use the chaos codex, since depending on how you interpret the fluff its US who remained loyal to the Emperor and the followers of the Lion who fell to chaos :D

Here's some examples of what I've done from my project log (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153612) if you want some ideas:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/life-is-trippy/chaplain/DSC02867.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/life-is-trippy/FallenAngels/DSC02875.jpg
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm104/life-is-trippy/FallenAngels/DSC02879.jpg

HsojVvad
06-11-2008, 23:10
WOW that is one scary Chaplin Interigator. Those eyes look like the eyes from the Terminator movie, spooks me very much. I love that model. Job well done Pirate...

jfjnpxmy
06-11-2008, 23:33
But if you look at page 24 of Codex: Chaos Space Marines you'll see a pic of a Fallen Angel in green power armour. I just love it when GW get their own fluff wrong..... :rolleyes:

Skyrar's Dark Wolves - grey and red
Sons of Vengeance - mottled red and black, silver
Swords of Kargoth - black, red,
Steel Brethren - steel (duh)
Thousand Sons - blue and yellow
Unknown - green, black, silver, red
Warriors of Mayhem - purple and silver
World Eaters - red and brass

No Fallen Angel, I'm afraid, just a dude who looks like a Dark Angel. And is obviously meant to BE a Fallen Angel, but if it's not explicity stated, then it's not explicity wrong. I believe you owe Mr. Workshop an apology, you eye rolling chap, you.

PotatoLegs
07-11-2008, 00:12
I ended up using heavy amounts of red (red ink on white) to get some contrast, as well as heavy use of white script and imagery (broken swords etc).The OG Dark Angels presented in Rogue trader did have red stripes drawn down the middle of their helmets - I forget the name of the successor chapter featured in the codex, but that was actually the colour scheme the DAs had back then, and I'm kinda kicking myself now for having such a large army of green marines because I would've loved to have done that successor chapter

J-L
07-11-2008, 02:02
Skyrar's Dark Wolves - grey and red
Sons of Vengeance - mottled red and black, silver
Swords of Kargoth - black, red,
Steel Brethren - steel (duh)
Thousand Sons - blue and yellow
Unknown - green, black, silver, red
Warriors of Mayhem - purple and silver
World Eaters - red and brass

No Fallen Angel, I'm afraid, just a dude who looks like a Dark Angel. And is obviously meant to BE a Fallen Angel, but if it's not explicity stated, then it's not explicity wrong. I believe you owe Mr. Workshop an apology, you eye rolling chap, you.

In the article Hunt the Fallen on the old GW site they used the very same image and refered to it as one of the Fallen. People seem to forget there are two kinds of Fallen, those old ones who fell on Caliban (in black armour) and the new ones who turn renegade (in green armour). I'm making a small force of Fallen, they will have black armour. Some of them will be recent renegades in my fluff, but I guess they have taken the time to repaint their armour.

Edit: Found the old page cached on google, actually it says 'is this unknown chaos marine one of the fallen?'

http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:7q6zTdxUjNUJ:uk.games-workshop.com/chaosspacemarines/fallen-angels/1/+games+workshop+hunt+the+fallen&hl=sv&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=se

Read more about the Fallen on lexicanum:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Fallen

PotatoLegs
07-11-2008, 02:05
:eyebrows:

There aren't any 'recent' renegades? Just the Fallen that got split off after the Heresy

J-L
07-11-2008, 02:21
:eyebrows:

There aren't any 'recent' renegades? Just the Fallen that got split off after the Heresy

The image in the new csm codex seems to suggest otherwise... Even if there is no fluff for it like many of the new renegade warbands, wouldn't it be possible for members of the DA to be corrupted by chaos after the heresy?

PotatoLegs
07-11-2008, 02:29
Oh its certainly 'possible', but no where is it covered in any of the fluff. Whereas the fluff is very explicit about the DAs being incredibly vigilant in preventing what happened when Caliban blew up from ever occuring again.

Its up to you at the end of the day, but the way I interpret the fluff provided is that there wouldn't be a chance in hell of there being any additional DAs turning traitor post-heresy.

There are fluff nuts who may want to argue otherwise of course :)

Your example in the latest codex is only insinutated as being a Fallen DA, and even then it'd make sense if they painted their armour green, so I find it easier to explain the colour of the armour away like that.

emperorpenguin
07-11-2008, 19:02

er yeah right.... :eyebrows:

GW are known for getting their own fluff and rules wrong so often it's silly

Shadowfax
07-11-2008, 21:53
Fallen would fit nicely into a Black Templars list. :)
How do you figure that?

It seems like the Fallen would have an extremely high veteran:trainee ratio (rendering Neophytes pointless) and the LRC didn't exist at the time of the heresy. The Emp's Champ would also be completely superfluous.

Sir_Turalyon
07-11-2008, 22:50
There was scenario on GW web site after chaos codex went out in which Fallen were repainting their armour green to pretend to be loyalists / just confuse everybody.

As for original Fallen, I would go for black armour and no Mark 7 suits - there is little chance Caliban garnison had these assigned already before Fall, and no chance of them upgrading their armour while in Warp. Uncorrupted marks 2 to 6 all the way to futher distinguish the from loyalists and chaos marines.

How do you figure that?

It seems like the Fallen would have an extremely high veteran:trainee ratio (rendering Neophytes pointless) and the LRC didn't exist at the time of the heresy. The Emp's Champ would also be completely superfluous.

All chapters have things that Fallen are not supposed to use (spacehips and droppods for instance), but Templars have features that might be used to represent Fallen. Namely, Black Templars have pre-heresy, non-Codex organisation, with mixed squad weaponry; just like the Fallen. Neophytes may represent human hangers-on who seem to follow Fallen most of the time, renegades or misguided Guard. Or actual neophytes: Caliban was training facility and most of Fallen were eighter young recruits or veteran instructors. LRC are less revelant as Fallen are supposed to have lost their original vehicles along with homeworld. Emperor's champion may represent a Fallen hero, or even Cypher in mood for close combat.

gunbunny242
07-11-2008, 23:20
I have a pre-heresy DA army that I use as Fallen in games. The background to them is that they were on board one of the ships around Caliban and were sucked into the warp when it was destroyed. Since then they have randomly appeared a'la the legion of the damned.
They have black armour with the red stripe on thier helmets and one red shoulder pad/ pad trim. Instead of using grey to highlight them I have used DA green to link them with the current DA.
Oh to emphasis the pre-heresy nature the whole army is rogue trader era models.
I use C:SM to represent them as I see them as still being loyal, and the DA structure was set up after the heresy. I just don't take certain options that weren't available back then such as assualt cannon.
I'm going to try to work some rules out for Cypher using the new dex and put him in.
All in all, Fallen are the coolest army to play. Are they the good guys? Do they even know?