PDA

View Full Version : dragon ogres or ogres

robnixon
06-11-2008, 23:01
hi im going to have a unit ofthese monsters in my woc army but im not sure which to buy, i can get three of each for the same price in my local store so the price issue doesnt affect it. i think both have some serious pros and cons, for example dragon ogres with there 12 wounds can withstand a charge from that nasty he dragon lord, but three with greatweapons and a champ comes in at around 250 points. a unit of three ogres with chaos armour and great weapons with fc are 50 points cheaper.

does anyone have any strong feelins on this? any help would be much appreciated.

zak
06-11-2008, 23:20
The Dragon Ogres are my choice of monster. More wounds and lovely S7 attacks with GW for doing away with chariots.

Harwammer
06-11-2008, 23:23
Personally I think minotaurs are best ;)

For WoC I'd say drogres. Drogres and knights.

robnixon
06-11-2008, 23:26
yeah see i really like the dragon ogre models so they were swinging it for me, its just whether or not theyre any good in game. there quick as knights which is a real bonus.

Hrogoff the Destructor
06-11-2008, 23:27
Dragon ogres are great. That movement 7 and pursue roll of 3d6 are the deal maker for me between them and ogres. Not to mention a squad of 4 has a bajillion attacks and is hard as hell to take care of in close combat. They also move so quickly it can be hard for unprepared opponents to react. They have a lot of wounds and a decent armor save to boot.

They cost an arm and a leg, but they're well worth it.

him_15
06-11-2008, 23:52
If you have enough points to spend, surely go for dragon ogres, they seem expensive on paper but they are worth the point. 4 wounds each will rarely see them die against almost every troop.

Raverrn
07-11-2008, 06:20
Dogres are very, very nice, and will kill just about anything. I'd go for them.

As an aside, anyone know where I could find some 3rd party models for them? The current GW ones are hideous.

fredster4050
07-11-2008, 08:58
Are D-Ogres going to be in the Beasts of Chaos book when it comes out?

him_15
07-11-2008, 09:16
Are D-Ogres going to be in the Beasts of Chaos book when it comes out?
Likely I think

robnixon
07-11-2008, 10:24
hideous? i quite like the models........meh shows what i know.

so dragon ogres it is, i was put off from them in the last editions coz theyre rare but now they are special i can have my cake and eat it.

isidril93
07-11-2008, 19:21
well i'd say d-ogres since for ogres you could just paint up some normal orgres chaosy

W0lf
07-11-2008, 19:54
Dragon ogres.

In refrence to cost you realise ironguts make perfect substitues for chaos ogres?

I really wouldnt encourage buying the chaos ogre models (expensive and ugly) and if you do you really need units of 4 ogres, 3 wont cut it.

logan054
07-11-2008, 20:22
Dragons ogres certainly are the better unit however i think it also depends on if you have enough spare points, ogres are nearly 100pts cheaper for 3

Schelle
07-11-2008, 20:35
definately dragon ogres! Played against them already three times and they are and hit hard as rock. 4 of these critters should do fine.

By the way, does anybody know if they will make these in plastic?:confused:

I am seriously considering of starting a Chaos army and plastic drogres would be brilliant!:D

loveless
07-11-2008, 21:02
Likely I think

Eh, I don't know, actually. Someone said it "never made sense" to have D-ogres and C-Trolls tromping around with Beasts of Chaos - along the lines of "Why did they come all the way out of the mountains and the tundra to frolick in the woods?" They might create analogs of them for BoC, or come up with some new fluff for why they decided to run down south and party.

In response to the OP, D-Ogres seem to beat general Ogres for general killyness. Unmarked, at least.

Ogres with Mark of Khorne could make similarly impressive killing machines, while ones with the Mark of Nurgle and Chaos Armour are effectively defensive (and better at whacking things with their clubs).

Regardless of that, however, go with D-Ogres. You seem to like the models so go for 'em.

theunwantedbeing
07-11-2008, 21:27
Dragon ogres, st7 mv7.
S7 is noticably better than st6, and mv7 is noticably better than mv6.

Mainly for the extra persuit distance and not being so damned vulnerable to being outcharged by cavalry.
Plus at st5 basic you can afford to take an extra hand weapon vs t3 infantry.

It is at a higher cost per model of course but it seems well worth it.