PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Ogres

Dexter099
07-11-2008, 04:09
For chaos ogres, I bought 6 bulls. I have one ogre great weapon lying around so I can do 4 gw ogres. What do you guys think I should do with my ogres?

Dexter099
08-11-2008, 01:28
Anyone? These are chaos ogres. What should I do with them? Gws or 2hws?

Clegane
08-11-2008, 05:11
That really depends on what you want to do with them. Doubling up the hand weapons gives you an impressive 4 S4 attacks per ogre. Assuming you're running them 3-wide (and why would you do any differently?), that's 12 S4 attacks. Brutally effective as a flank supporter for hitting r&f. God forbid if you give them MoK.

The GW's, of course, have 9 attacks at S6. Slightly worse for r&f troops, but freaking -devastating- as can-openers or monster-hunters. MoK is almost overkill here for the cost, but basically ensures that nothing short of ranked up blocks will survive the charge.

Whichever configuration you use them with, remember that Ogres take it in the shorts against static CR. They're far too expensive to send in alone. Use them as a supporting hammer, though, and you'll rarely be disappointed.

Dexter099
10-11-2008, 03:02
Should I give both squads Full Command?

Clegane
10-11-2008, 03:22
Absolutely not. The Musician is usually worth it for 10 points (because ogres have low LDR and tend to flee a lot), but the standard and champ are never going to be worth the points. Remember, your static CR is for crap. You're winning combats solely by the virtue of Fear and lots of damage. With a US 9 and a 3-model frontage, you need to be staying out of combats that you aren't almost assured a win through active CR alone. Take the 40-points-per-squad that you'd have wasted on FC and spend it on MoK instead. That's three extra S6 attacks for 30 points rather than 1 extra attack and 1 free static CR for 40.

Just remember...Ogres have bupkiss for static CR. You need to keep them focused on small, tough units or as HAMMER SUPPORT on the flanks of big blocks, backing up your own blocks of marauders or warriors. If you send 3 Ogres in alone against a block, the static CR is likely to murder you.

Voodoo Boyz
10-11-2008, 03:28
Great Weapons. Always Great Weapons.

They're Ogres/Monster Style models in the first place. You want them pumping out their S6 attacks, S4 is pretty much going to do very little. Convert the last 2 Great Weapons you will need to get two units of 3 with GW's.

Musicians are probably good to go with them and that's it. I come from playing Ogre Kingdoms and honestly that is what you live and die by (units of 3-4 ogres with great weapons + muso).

Lordsaradain
10-11-2008, 21:32
I favour great wepaons. You might want to give them chaos armour and mark of nurgle or khorne also, but be careful or they'll end up very expensive.

lordkull
11-11-2008, 01:06
Greatweapons becuse they are ..... great that and a mark of khorne :)

Porksta
11-11-2008, 05:26
The real question here is - why take Ogres? They really aren't all that good.

Thurizdan
11-11-2008, 05:46
Because Ogres are plastic. Trolls, Dragon Ogres and Minotaurs (the list goes on) are not. If you want to have monsters, Ogres are materially the cheapest.

Krom The Eternal
05-12-2008, 18:24
sounds like a awesome idea i have 4 chaos ogre lead belchers in my army as dogs of war

sroblin
05-12-2008, 18:40
The GW's, of course, have 9 attacks at S6. Slightly worse for r&f troops, but freaking -devastating- as can-openers or monster-hunters. MoK is almost overkill here for the cost, but basically ensures that nothing short of ranked up blocks will survive the charge.

Unfortunately, the idea that 2 hand weapons are better than great weapons against rank and file is a common misconception. Intuitively it makes sense, and maybe the game would be better if things worked that way, but mathematically the bonus to strength nearly always is better, especially on models like Ogres which already have a lot of attacks. Against T3 5+ armor save troops (and there are many that are T4 or 4+, realistically), 9 S6 attacks still inflict more wounds than 12 S4 attacks, and most infantry will be tougher. So great weapons are unambiguously better in any situation, even against rank and file.

Avian
05-12-2008, 19:02
There is a reason great weapons cost twice as much as additional hand weapons, to put it that way.

snyggejygge
05-12-2008, 19:06
Great Weapons, additional handweapon isnīt worth it ever if you can have a GW.

Just give them a musician, Champ is overpriced for +1A & standard isnīt worth it should they ever break.