PDA

View Full Version : Looking to find a BB Team that suits.

Helveticus
07-11-2008, 21:35
I've always liked the power ground game type of football, and I'd like to play a version of that in Bloodbowl... a lot of high S, High AV Block'ers and maybe two lightning quick runners kind of team... but I'm not familiar enough to know for sure.

Darkson
07-11-2008, 23:06
You won't find high S/AV Blockers on the same team as fast runners*, because that would be bad from a balance pint of view. I'd say Orcs would be your best choice, followed by Chaos once you've gained some experience (and assuming you're playing in a league - straight out of the box they're not that great).

* Lizardmen might fit your bill, but they're not a rookie team by any means.

spevna
08-11-2008, 08:36
Got to go with Orcs. Great team if you are after the power game. Fill up on Black Orcs and Blitzers and block away!!

StefDa
08-11-2008, 17:48
You could go for Lizardmen, Undead (four Ghouls...) Norse or Orcs.

Lizardmen have incredibly fast (MA8) and maneuvrable (Dodge, Stunty) Skinks, and tough-ass Sauri (S4, good AV).

Undead can put the hurt down with Mummies, and to some extend Wights (plus Wights also have Block). They have MA7 Ghouls with Dodge, and with Go For It you could potentially move 9 squares each turn with the Ghouls.

Norse are a good beatdown team. Their Runners are also resonably fast, IIRC. And they have Berzerkers, Ulfwereners and a Snow Troll.

Orcs, whats' there to say. Not terribly fast, but not too slow either (MA6 Blitzers). Don't go all out on Blitzers and Black Orcs - I recommend three of each to better be able to afford other nice things.

spevna
09-11-2008, 07:14
I can understand not going for 4 Black Orcs ( I prefer that style of game but thats juts me) but why wouldnt you go for 4 Blitzers? I have found them to be the cornerstone of my team. Not hating, just inquiring.

fattdex
09-11-2008, 11:56
Lots of blockers and a few quick runners? try a Chaos dwarf 6 dwarf, four hobgoblin, two bull centaur lineup.

StefDa
09-11-2008, 13:58
I can understand not going for 4 Black Orcs ( I prefer that style of game but thats juts me) but why wouldnt you go for 4 Blitzers? I have found them to be the cornerstone of my team. Not hating, just inquiring.

Well, monetary reasons, mostly. I have made a team:

2 Lineorcs
3 Blitzers
3 Black Orcs
2 Throwers
1 Goblin
4 Re-rolls
1.00.000 on the nose

Here the reason for including a single Goblin is, that I had 40k left over, and it makes a great Fouler and Assister.

I am considering dropping a Thrower in favour of either a Lineorc or a Goblin, and fill the rest with either Cheerleaders or Fan Factor (probably Fan Factor).

I simply don't know how to fit four Blitzers in there. The only reason I can se is to replace a Black Orc with a Blitzer, but honestly, I'd rather not cut further down on my Black Orcs.

Marlow
09-11-2008, 20:44
I simply don't know how to fit four Blitzers in there.Rerolls are good, but you do not really need more than three on a starting Orc team, that gives you enough cash to upgrade the lineorcs into a Blizer & Black Orc.

Alternativly you could take a starting team with only a single thrower.

spevna
10-11-2008, 10:53
Got to go with the above. I reckon cutting back to one thrower and getting the Blitzer would be better. You are more likely to rack up SPP with the Blitzer than with the thrower. Buy the second thrower later and get the 4th Blitzer.

guillaume
10-11-2008, 22:28
Orcs are good to develop in this style. But you wont get your fast runners straight away, you'll need to train them and get them to learn their trade.

If you want fast runners and hard hitters out of the box, lizardmen are your choice. As pointed out, you can field 6 saurus with S4 and AV9, and 5 skinks with MA 8 and dodge and stunty.

This is the ultimate bash and speed team, but they have major pitfalls: mostly the inagility of the saurus, and the fragility of the skinks, all of which can be corrected as you play and earn experience points.

So, you can choose: ideal playstyle now (lizardmen) or later (orcs).

spevna
11-11-2008, 13:54
Skinks are the shiz. Everyone tries the wallop the Saurus but its those little buggers that win the games!

Giganthrax
17-11-2008, 01:44
I've always liked the power ground game type of football, and I'd like to play a version of that in Bloodbowl... a lot of high S, High AV Block'ers and maybe two lightning quick runners kind of team... but I'm not familiar enough to know for sure.
Orcs and Undead can all work that way...

Orcs can have trolls, and trolls can throw goblin ball-carriers all over the field. By doing this, you can instantly get a goblin very close to your opponent's endzone. This is tremendous fun when it works, but if you roll bad dice you can end up having your troll go stupid, or try to eat your goblins (causing you to lose the ball). If you roll REALLY bad dice, you can end up with your troll devouring your gobbo whole, or having your gobbo die from "falling damage" etc.

Needless to say, orcs can have up to four black orcs (strength 4), as well as four blitzers (all have block and are quite fast (6)). With their overall armor 9, you aren't gonna have your boys dying much, either. The cool thing bout orcs is that you can specialize them into a "fighty" team, too. As far as BB teams go, orcs are very versatile.

Undead have mummies, which are basically improved non-stupid big guys. And you can have two of them. Pretty awesome. They also have ghouls (dodge + speed 7, if memory serves) and wights (the equivalent of the above-mentioned orc blitzers), which opens up lots of options.

Another team you might consider are the Necromancers. While they're nowhere as strong as undead, they still have their stand-firm frankensteins (overall, better blockers then black orcs, but you can only have two), as well as wights, ghouls and the slow-but-annoying zombies. Finally, they have werewolves - those guys have speed 8 AND razor sharp claws, which means you get to do causalities AND score touchdowns, thus "leveling" them up really fast.

On the other hand: dwarves are very slow, but very very tuff and they pack a hard punch. Norse are relatively fast and they all have block (awesome), but are somewhat fragile. Elven and skaven teams are generally very fast but very fragile.

Hope this helps.

Dead Man Walking
27-11-2008, 00:01
I tend to find that with lizardmen only a complete fool tries fighting the saurus and leaves the skinks alone. Every game I have played my opponent goes out of thier way to get rid of the skinks because saurus and kroxigor cant win a game for you.

Marlow
29-11-2008, 00:50
I tend to find that with lizardmen only a complete fool tries fighting the saurus and leaves the skinks alone. Every game I have played my opponent goes out of thier way to get rid of the skinks because saurus and kroxigor cant win a game for you.

You can score with Saurus' it is just a bit harder than using the Skinks. However if you have run out of Skinks you propably only have seven players left on the pitch and that is what will loose you the game!

Olaf the Stout
01-12-2008, 14:58

I agree. Whenever I play against Lizardmen I try to focus all my Blitz actions on the Skinks. The more Skinks I can get off the field, the easier it is for me to win the game. When all you have left is AG1 you need a lot of luck just to pick up the ball. On top of that, Skinks are also a lot squishier than Saurus. They're a lot easier to knock over and when you do knock them over there is a much better chance of removing them from the pitch.

Olaf the Stout

decker_cky
01-12-2008, 18:53
I'd say chaos dwarfs fit the bill better than orcs. Orc blitzers are good, but they aren't really fast. Chaos dwarfs have a line as solid as any with 6 blockers that can take mutations (claw), and 2 top tier fast blitzers in their bull centaurs. The blockers aren't high S, but start with block get guard faster which compensates, not to mention the easy access to dauntless which will cover them.

Helveticus
03-12-2008, 08:59
I ended up buying the Human team (because I always have a soft spot for humans in most games- and because the models are just plain tight) and a dwarf team. I'm starting to fall in love with the dwarf team. Almost everyone has block, AV9, the linemen also have tackle. They're slow as all get out though. Still they seem to be a fun team so far.

LordSnotball
16-12-2008, 17:43
dunno why no1 mentioned necromantic... they are fun too, semi-bashy that require alternative tactics to survive in the long run...

StefDa
16-12-2008, 18:49
You can score with Saurus' it is just a bit harder than using the Skinks. However if you have run out of Skinks you propably only have seven players left on the pitch and that is what will loose you the game!

I plan to play Lizardmen. I would never include af majority of Sauri, or Sauri+Krox, for that matter. I'd play with like seven Skinks and four Sauri... Because as people said, it is the Skinks who win the games, what with MA8, AG3, Dodge, Stunty. Of course, they go down fast, but they shouldn't be threatened with that sky-high MA.