PDA

View Full Version : GW stole my Chapter!

Darkson
07-11-2008, 23:20
I've had the same Chapter since the days when Rogue Trader was turning into 40K 2nd edition. Some of the backstory has changed, as has the chapter colours, but the name, ideals and location all stayed the same - seperated from the Imperium and in the Halo Stars on the Eastern Fringe.

So imagine my shock when I was looking through a mates new SM 'dex, and found that not only had GW stolen my Chapter AND Chapter symbol, they'd also uprooted them, turned them back into Imperial lackeys and plonked them on guard duty around the Eye of Terror!:wtf:

That's right! I'm claiming the Dark Sons. We're be making our way back to the Wrym Reaches ASAP, and woe betide anyone that ets in our way - Imperium, Orc, Chaos - we don't care.

(And if they show up in a 'dex or article with a dark (midnight) blue and black paint scheme, I'm going to start checking my gaming cupboard for spy equipment...)

RexTalon
07-11-2008, 23:32
Wow, what an original name and color scheme...

I would not be surprised at all if someone else came up with the idea for that name and color scheme but a slightly different galactic location. I mean, how many different (un-horrible) color and name combinations could there possibly be?

Rutteger1
07-11-2008, 23:35
yah its a fairly generic name... anyway, you could rename em, something dynamic. My DIY are called The Samaritans. deathwing bleached bone, and red. based on a desert world.

Lame Duck
08-11-2008, 00:17
Call them 'Darker than the other Sons'

LoneSniperSG
08-11-2008, 01:54
Call them 'Darker than the other Sons'

Lawl.

I apparently stole someone else's chapter name when I made mine. The "Ice Wraiths" are claimed in a banner by a user on here (I think.. or on B&C) BUT he hasn't been active for like 5 years. His are also chaos.

crimson_fists
08-11-2008, 02:10
or, you could keep the name and history and whenever someone notices that there not at the eye of terro, you can say that the entire fleet of their ships was about to engage in a bloody crusade or someting and acedentally excited the warp in the wrong spot due do a warp storm or something, and they can't return because said engines are damaged, or you could just change your name...

SabrX
08-11-2008, 03:08
I don't think we players have any legal rights in creating and copy righting our own chapters because we are using GW products and rules.

Just feel honored that your original Chapter caught the attention by GW and was made into a legit chapter.

Or like everyone else, rename your chapter and claim GW's chapter is a descendant of your chapter.

RexTalon
08-11-2008, 05:15
Lawl.

I apparently stole someone else's chapter name when I made mine. The "Ice Wraiths" are claimed in a banner by a user on here (I think.. or on B&C) BUT he hasn't been active for like 5 years. His are also chaos.

He obviously didn't know the rule about naming chapters.

If it's a really scary name then it's a loyalist chapter. If it's a really imperial sounding name then they're chaos.

vice
08-11-2008, 06:57
Apparently, my homebrew chapter uses the exact same colours and markings as the Black Consuls in the new codex. It also says they've been wiped out. Damn...

Shibboleth
08-11-2008, 07:22
There are creative waves of energy that flow around the planet and more than one person can catch the same wave... ;)

At the time the 4th edition SM Codex came out I invented a Chapter for my local store's Chapter creation contest (which was encouraging use of the new Traits section), called the Atlantean Brotherhood.
They were light blue with a Black Trident as their symbol.
I won the contest, but then within weeks the 'How to Paint Space Marines' book was released containing a chapter with the same colour and symbol combination, called the 'Emperor's Spears' I think.
All I can say is, "I didn't copy nobody, and I won fair and square! The timing proves it..."

logosloki
08-11-2008, 07:31
I've had the same Chapter since the days when Rogue Trader was turning into 40K 2nd edition. Some of the backstory has changed, as has the chapter colours, but the name, ideals and location all stayed the same - seperated from the Imperium and in the Halo Stars on the Eastern Fringe.

So imagine my shock when I was looking through a mates new SM 'dex, and found that not only had GW stolen my Chapter AND Chapter symbol, they'd also uprooted them, turned them back into Imperial lackeys and plonked them on guard duty around the Eye of Terror!:wtf:

That's right! I'm claiming the Dark Sons. We're be making our way back to the Wrym Reaches ASAP, and woe betide anyone that ets in our way - Imperium, Orc, Chaos - we don't care.

(And if they show up in a 'dex or article with a dark (midnight) blue and black paint scheme, I'm going to start checking my gaming cupboard for spy equipment...)

What was your chapter symbol?

Nastra
08-11-2008, 09:55
Honestly there are roughly 8,000,000 variant chapters that exist listed in one form or another. I wouldn't be suprised if there were striking similarities between many of the homebrew chapters and the GW ones.

Shark Army
08-11-2008, 09:57
Sheesh! Next you'll tell us that GW have stolen your Paragraphs as well...

Ben
08-11-2008, 12:05
GW probably have a random chapter name generator. The something something, and one of the options for the first word is dark, and one of the options for the second word is sons. I think all the non-lame names will have been done before over the 25 year history of 40k.

Darnok
08-11-2008, 12:18
GW probably have a random chapter name generator. The something something, and one of the options for the first word is dark, and one of the options for the second word is sons.

There is/was something like this on GWs webpage, and there was something like this in printed form some years ago (WD dunnothenumber).

No offense intended, but the name in combination with black/blue as colours is nothing really creative. If the chapter symbol is somehow outstanding, it'd get interesting, so what is it?

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
08-11-2008, 13:47
yeah, my Night Stalkers were also stolen by GW ... and one other guy also 'invented' this name ... as i 'invented' it ...

so there are at least 3 different night stalkers:
1. GW warband
2. Splinter Night Lords warband made by the other guy
3. My Renegade chapter from unknown founding

EVIL INC
08-11-2008, 14:41
You get ripped off unknowingly a lot most times you "come up with something new".
Look at my own Dungeon Lords chaos marines I named after my hometown gaming group back in the 80s. Imagine my surprise when one day I walk into WallMart to find the name "stolen" and put onto a vidio game. My own fault for not copywriting it. From what I understand, it costs less then $50 ( I think the price quoted to me by Dr. Twisted who had done it for his gaming name was actually $15).

Griefbringer
08-11-2008, 15:34
Look at my own Dungeon Lords chaos marines I named after my hometown gaming group back in the 80s. Imagine my surprise when one day I walk into WallMart to find the name "stolen" and put onto a vidio game. My own fault for not copywriting it.

If you want to protect a name like that, you might better try registering a trademark.

Madfool2
08-11-2008, 15:45
GW read my mind with the Angels of fury.

They even go their mechanized tactics right! I wasn't displeased, in fact, I was like "wow, awesome".

Alcibiades
08-11-2008, 16:05
Dude, I totally know where you're coming from. I wanted to create a chapter exemplifying all the best aspects of the USMC: you know, Semper FI. But they'd be better than marines... super marines... Ultra Marines! I took a couple of semesters of Greek in college, so I used the Greek letter Omega as my chapter symbol: standing for the end-all, be-all nature of my chapter....

And who'da thunkit? GW stole my Chapter idea clear away!

parus_ater
08-11-2008, 16:14
What we need is a photo of these models....

LeeHarvey
08-11-2008, 16:23
Darksons, meet the Darksons,
They're this guy's branch of Astartes,
But then, ol' Games Workshop,
Stole his intellectual properties,

But they can't even do that properly,
Cause they're not meant for Guard Duty,

Darkson, take back Darksons,
You'll have a yabba dabba doo time,
A dabba doo time,
You'll have a gay old time!

That's creativity at it's best right there.

On topic, Did you go to any events where GW staff may have seen your models?

Shatter Cake
08-11-2008, 16:24
I'd claim that the GW Dark Sons are impostors, and it's your job to fight your way back to the eye of terror and defeat them!

Geoduck
08-11-2008, 18:23
Darksons, meet the Darksons,
They're this guy's branch of Astartes,
But then, ol' Games Workshop,
Stole his intellectual properties,

But they can't even do that properly,
Cause they're not meant for Guard Duty,

Darkson, take back Darksons,
You'll have a yabba dabba doo time,
A dabba doo time,
You'll have a gay old time!

Congratulations! You have just won many internets!!

LOL

Geoduck...out!

Lord General Laumnem
08-11-2008, 18:27
howabout renaming them the Dark Older Brothers?

Fixer
08-11-2008, 18:38
Dark Cousins! Or you could use one of the following chapters gaurenteed never to be stolen by gw.

The submarines
The supermarines
The sons of fathers
The emperor's illegitimate bastard children.
The chapter formerly known as the dark sons.

Orcboy_Phil
08-11-2008, 18:41
Well if Gamesworkshop come up with a name like "Golden Assassins" who where one of the two lost legions and forged an empire on the Eastern Fringe comprising of many alien as well as human worlds wearing black armour with Gold sholder pads; then, then i would slep them it was a stupid idea when I was youngling and its even dumber now.

Fluxeor
08-11-2008, 18:53
Dude, I totally know where you're coming from. I wanted to create a chapter exemplifying all the best aspects of the USMC: you know, Semper FI. But they'd be better than marines... super marines... Ultra Marines! I took a couple of semesters of Greek in college, so I used the Greek letter Omega as my chapter symbol: standing for the end-all, be-all nature of my chapter....

And who'da thunkit? GW stole my Chapter idea clear away!

ARGH, You stole the thoughts right out of my brain!! No wonder I've been feeling light headed.. For a moment there I was convinced it had something to do with the fumes from the spray I just coated my Land Raider with but now I know the truth! *shakes fist*.

the1stpip
08-11-2008, 20:38
acedentally excited the warp

A hint of Slaanesh, me thinks.

Also, as for Imperial sounding names being Chaos, my first Chaos chapter were called the Emperor's Paladins, but they were then taken by someone for the NE Chapter Master competition.

I am sure each half decently named chapter as been so named by a dozen gamers out there. Don't stress about it.

Occulto
08-11-2008, 21:03
Well if Gamesworkshop come up with a name like "Golden Assassins" who where one of the two lost legions and forged an empire on the Eastern Fringe comprising of many alien as well as human worlds wearing black armour with Gold sholder pads; then, then i would slep them it was a stupid idea when I was youngling and its even dumber now.

:p

Ah the innocence of youth.

I'm waiting for GW to put the Stealth Marines in a codex. (Distroy all evil!!!!)

ChaplainVarnus
15-11-2008, 14:10
Be glad that they have!!! Thay might make a really cool character and say that it's absolutely fine to use him without opponents consent!

Kettu
15-11-2008, 16:12
Happened to me also.

My Star Phantoms are in someones dex somewhere but I can't remember nor do I care. My Star Phantoms are scattered remenants after chaos hit them then a full splinter hive fleet of Nids come plowing through their system.
They are forced to flee and now are determined to destory the nid fleet as their last act of defiance.

It happens, with such unimaginitive names it is really only a matter of time.