PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite 40k books, or fiction?

Rutteger1
08-11-2008, 03:08
I havn't read any warhammer books, as Im new. My dream in life is to be an author, and the story, miniatures, aspect of the hobby is really what drew me in. Since i dont have any 40k books, I like, -THE LORD OF THE RINGS
-HARRY POTTER -DRACULA -REDWALL -BRAVE NEW WORLD -A FAREWELL TO ARMS.

any suggestions for 40k books people?

crimson_fists
08-11-2008, 03:27
Personally i like the 'Gaunts Ghosts' series by Dan Abnett and begins with the book, 'Tanith First & Only'. I really like this series and have been known to read some of the novels on the Horus Heresy.

Johnny Bravo
08-11-2008, 03:41
The Cain books, definitely. Starts off with For The Emperor, but I believe you can only get them in omnibus form now. Which is fine, as it includes some short stories as well, I think.

The Eisenhorn books, also by Dan Abnett, and also in omnibus form now. And Ghosts seconded, I'm re-reading them now myself. The first book was called just First And Only though, unless there was a reprint or something where they changed it. And those, too, are omnibussed (is that even a word?).

Inquisitor Engel
08-11-2008, 03:46
I haven't had a lot of time to read since going to college, I managed to read "Lord of Night" my freshman year and thoroughly enjoyed that (mainly because I was assembling [not painting, still haven't painted] a Night Lords army at the time).

I also fit in "The Inquisition Trilogy" and "Star of Damocles" somewhere. I enjoyed both but the Inquisition trilogy takes a healthy dive in quality after the first novel for some reason, it might be the "warp-speed tour of the 40k Galaxy" tone it takes later on.

I've just started on the Horus Heresy novels and "Horus Rising" is FANTASTIC. I've burnt through it in less than a week and have a hankering for more. It's though when you know they're going to turn though... the inevitability of it and the desire to see the process... can't wait.

Lisiecki
08-11-2008, 03:47
Inquisition War

Theirs a reason no one on the boards likes me
EDIT
Oh, wait, do you want to know what my favorite book is, or what books you should read?
I LOVE Inquisition war
However, i am the only person to ever do so

Filthy O'Bedlam
08-11-2008, 04:27
I know it's not a novel, But Deff Squadron is my favourite 40K fiction. followed closely by the Titan miniseries and the Ehprael Stern saga.
Cheers

Wrathiel
08-11-2008, 04:30
my favorite 40k books are most of the horus heresy, and the ravenor series (I actually liked it more than eisenhorn)

As far as other books that I like that seem to evoke 40k-ish bleakness (grimdark?) Nightwings by Robert Silverburg and the Book of the new sun by Gene Wolfe.

onermedboxer
08-11-2008, 05:09
i really enjoyed the space wolf books. they are enjoyable and they were my first taste of the universe. the horus heresey is a great way to learn the past of the game.

Inquisitor Engel
08-11-2008, 05:23
Ehprael Stern saga.

I second Daemonifuge and all books contained therein, even if it is frustratingly short. Had the Keeper of Secrets Forge World should have based their model on. *sigh*

Oh yes, Daemonifuge is excellent - a good deal of the current Sisters of Battle FEEL is derived from that series.

Devil Tree
08-11-2008, 09:22
I like 15 Hours itís one of the best IG books out there.

Kurisu313
08-11-2008, 10:14
Caiphus cain sits at the top by a good margin, IMO.

Lord of the Night was similarly brilliant.

Most of abnett (Gaunt's ghosts, eisenhorn, ravenor) are good, if not particluarly universe-accurate. I particularly liked double eagle.

As a Guard player, I like the guard series (rebel winter, death world, etc...)

And Deff Skwadron was awesome, if perhaps overly-complicated in drawing style

geraint
08-11-2008, 10:27
i like warrior brood personally , anything b C S Goto to be honest

billyboy2410
08-11-2008, 10:46
I have read several novels fron the black library Fantasy novels i enjoyed were the Malus Darkblade set, Guardians of the Forest, Honour of the grave,Sacred Flesh and Liars Peak. 40k novels i have read include Faith and Fire, Warrior Brood/Coven, Grey Knight Trilogy and i am currently reading books from the horus heresy all the above novels i have enjoyed and would recommend.

howlinmonkey
08-11-2008, 11:35
hello from howlin monkey! I reccomend the Horus Heresy series.Like
all series they have their ups and downs but now and again they
come up with crackers,LEGION for example.Also get Angels of Darkness,
That one is a mindblower! The Ultramarines omnibus is a good read
also.Cheers!

matskye
08-11-2008, 12:31
I would suggest the Horus Heresy, i'm still reading the first book horus rising, but it is absolutely marvelous.

Gimp
08-11-2008, 12:37
15 Hours is a must for any 40k reader. It always reminds me of All quite on the western front.

The Ultimarine Omnibus is a must it follows a marine captain named Uriel Ventris as he fights dark eldar, nids and chaos.

Storm of Iron is also very good.

BaronDG
08-11-2008, 13:29
Execution hour and Shadowpoint are set on huge space ships but are well worth reading. Like Hornblower in space...

MrBigMr
08-11-2008, 13:44
So far I've liked the Shira Calpurnia trilogy, which I just found out it was a trilogy. The last piece (Blind) is still waiting to be read. The other two are Crossfire and Legacy. I also liked Daemon World and Pawns of Chaos has been quite good so far.

BaronDG
08-11-2008, 15:32
Yes, Shira Calpurnia...

The first book was pretty good. He does a decent job describing the 40k universe but I thought the main character was a bit of an unsufferable bitch.

The second book also has qualities and is even better in my eyes that the focus isn't on Shira.

The third book... let just say that the situation causes you to like her a little bit more.

You can do far worse than with these.

MrBigMr
08-11-2008, 16:36
The first book was pretty good. He does a decent job describing the 40k universe but I thought the main character was a bit of an unsufferable bitch.

The second book also has qualities and is even better in my eyes that the focus isn't on Shira.
I've never read a BL book because of it being fine piece of literature. I read them just for the world describtion. So I stay away from all those heroic macho BS Marine/Guard pwnage fests. I'm more interested in the little people behind it all.

And I never found Shira to be an unsufferable bitch. A cast iron bitch maybe, but what do you expect when you've lived in Mary Suemar, led by Mary Sue Calgar and her dandy candy parade of Ultramarysues. I liked Shira for the more Dredd-like "if it ain't illegal, I'll allow it" sort of stuff. She's stern. Stern, but fair.

The third book... let just say that the situation causes you to like her a little bit more.
Noooo! Not listening. Alla-la-la-la-la-la. Damn you Pawns of Chaos, why do you have to be so long! I want to get on with Blind.

You can do far worse than with these.
Eldar Prophesy, anyone, or some other Goto masterpiece? I got it just so that I can say I've read every non-human 40K novel there is. I have a ton of other stuff waiting to be read as well, like both Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies.

Oh, I would also suggest Liber Chaotica, Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer and to some extent, Xenology.

BaronDG
08-11-2008, 16:41
Yes, the uplifting primer is almost essential if you like reading about the Imperium. Certainly good for a laugh!

PumaKiller
08-11-2008, 17:58
I've only just started reading 40K novels but so far Lord of the Night is hands down my favorite and actually one of the best books I have ever read, 40K or otherwise.

Rutteger1
08-11-2008, 18:14
LOL MY THREAD NOW GOES ON FOREVER!!! AND NOW I JUST REALLY WANNA READ THESE BOOKS XD
Im thinking about gaunts ghosts, the horus heresy series, the tiny ass on black reach book, and maybe an IG book? I dunno. Someday i will have read them all :D

Thud
08-11-2008, 23:19
I LOVE Inquisition war
However, i am the only person to ever do so

You're not the only one. Inquisition War is easily the best book (best three books in fact) ever to have been published by Black Library.

Also, a few more worth mentioning:

The Ciaphas Cain series, and Sandy Mitchell's newest; 'Scourge the Heretic'.

'Horus Rising'. Brilliant. I'm a bit ambivalent about 'False Gods' as I can't wait to read onwards about Loken, but at the same time I shudder to think in what way Graham McNeill has managed to assault literature this time.

'Relentless'. Ace. You see the end coming from a mile away, but there still are a few unexpected twists and turns here and there. ;)

Hicks
09-11-2008, 00:00
I am really enjoying the Horus Heresy books, I loved the Eisenhorn trilogy, Lord of the Night and the Grey Knight trilogy. I could hardly say wich one was my favorite, but the 1st Grey Knight book is really high on my list. It totally changed my perception of the GKs, previously I tought they were just marines with more bling, now they are one of my favorite force in 40K. It certainly made me expand the small force I had to a full blown army.

sukigod
09-11-2008, 01:16
On scales from 0-10 (of course 10 being best]

Lord of the Night - 9 For some reason, every Chaos player I know doesn't like this book. I find it easily in the top 5 40K books on my shelf (of over 50). Good story, even of it does'nt go anywhere in the end.

Faith and Fire - 9 A Sisters of Battle story. This book really caught me by surprise. One of the best 40K novels out there. IN my book, better than Eisenhorn and Ravenor.

Eisenhorn - 8 The best series so far. The only reason I say this over Ravenor or any Gaunts Ghost novels is that as the story continues, it doesn't get predictable as Ravenor and Gaunts Ghosts series gets.

Horus Herasy Sersies - 7This is a very love/hate specific series as each "chapter", or book, is written by a different author. I inderstand the reasoning behind this - to give weash story and chapter a different flavor - but in the end, it comes off as being disjointed between stories. 50/50 here. Some are extremely well written and very engaging, some are a chore to finish, only to get to the next book and see if it gets better.

Any Gaunts Ghosts The early stuff, some of Abnett's first stories in the 40K universe, are a little hard to get through, like he's still trying to find his voice. As the series goes on, you can see he hits his stride and pretty much becomes "The voice" of 40K fiction. Get the early books for the background on your favorite characters, get the later books for great writing.

Fifteen Hours - 8 A read for ANY Imperial Guard player. Brings me back to basic training. Gritty, no-nonsense, from the trenches story about a fresh 'cruit salpped into the front lines.

Ciaphus Cain Series - 7 Another series that's available as an omnibus, and a better value when picked up as such. Fun, light hearted tales of a reluctant hero Commisar that does become predictable by the third book, but brings a bit of humor and comedy to the "Grim Dark Future that id Only War!". fun, but predictable.

That should do ya for a while. There's some very good writing in the 40K universe and almost anything will give you a good taste of what's out there.

Grab a book and enjoy!

Lord Cook
09-11-2008, 04:30
My favourite would easily be the Eisenhorn trilogy. But Ravenor deserves a mention too, as well as the Ciaphus Cain and Gaunt's Ghosts series. For lesser known works, take a look at Relentless, as this is a great book about the Imperial Navy.

Inquisitor Engel
09-11-2008, 04:49

Lord of the Night - 9 For some reason, every Chaos player I know doesn't like this book. I find it easily in the top 5 40K books on my shelf (of over 50). Good story, even of it does'nt go anywhere in the end.

I think the reason all the Chaos players (except myself) hate "Lord of the Night" is because it takes the Chaos Space Marines (Night Lords at least) and points out what they are: Men without a goal, without a master and without reason.

Sahaal is everything a real TRAITOR Marine should be - coercive, driven, ambitious and above all, ambivalent to Chaos. Chaos is a tool and a tool for the weak at that, nothing more. He is NOT a Chaos Marine. He wants to overthrow the Emperor, he has drive.

Other than Abaddon (who has the coolest first name for a CSM ever, FYI) and most of the Black Legion, Chaos Space Marines have little to no interest in overthrowing the Emperor anymore - Death to the False Emperor has been supplanted with cries to their chosen deity or merely incoherent babble.

Sahaal is pure, uncorrupt.

He also leads my Night Lords army. ;)

Daemonia
09-11-2008, 05:37
Horus Rising is probably one of the best Space Marine novels written to my mind, easily best in the series.

Eisenhorn best overall series though. The comicy goodness of Daemonifuge on a different level, but still awesome.

The Redeemer, however, still makes me touch myself at night. It is the most utterly brilliant definition of what it means to be a total badass in every sense of the word.

MrBigMr
09-11-2008, 12:16
I think the reason all the Chaos players (except myself) hate "Lord of the Night" is because it takes the Chaos Space Marines (Night Lords at least) and points out what they are: Men without a goal, without a master and without reason.
Another reason: Not everyone plays Chaos Space Marines. Sure, we only got rules for them, but that's where counts as and creative modelling come into play. My Chaos army, or fleet to be exact, is mostly human even though clad in power armour and using bolters.

Adra
09-11-2008, 12:51
For me its the Eisenhorn books just because they stand alone as great books 40k or not. My dad, who really has no time at all for the silly little 40k universe, really enjoyed Eisenhorn and that speaks volumes to me about how good a book it is. Alot of 40k books i wouldnt bother reading but, you know, you get stuck trying to read everything. In a library of war Eisenhorn was so refreshing to suddenly see the texture of the normal universe as well as a dark underbelly we knew almost nothing about. For me Eisenhorn opened the 40k universe into something living and not just big men and monsters fighting all day and night. Its a breathing universe that pulses with more than just the beat of war. For me Eisenhorn is Abnett's Sistine ceiling.

You're not the only one. Inquisition War is easily the best book (best three books in fact) ever to have been published by Black Library.

Oh dear me no...

Sahaal is everything a real TRAITOR Marine should be - coercive, driven, ambitious and above all, ambivalent to Chaos. Chaos is a tool and a tool for the weak at that, nothing more. He is NOT a Chaos Marine. He wants to overthrow the Emperor, he has drive.

Yay! Some other people get it. A great character....maybe not the best book for him to be in but a great character at least.

ralphooo
09-11-2008, 12:57
I'd strongly recommend the Gaunt's Ghosts series. I love Abnett's writing style, and his characters are well fleshed out over the many books of the series:).

I've read a few of the short story compilations too, but that was a fair while ago.

The Rogue Trader
09-11-2008, 14:19
Favourite pieces of fiction? For me that is a no brainer: Bill King's descriptions of the Battle for Earth, Horus and the Emperor and the 2nd Battle of Armageddon.

Superb writing and narrative that really captures the Warhammer 40,000 universe in it's true madness. When you have drug crazed human volunteers armed only with knives entering air vents to kill Ork Kommandos and dock workers sealing themselves into their crane cabins to battle Ork Gargants you have a real war!

Joewrightgm
09-11-2008, 14:58
Dark Apostle was a really good book, one of my favorites; the "Day in the life" of a chaos labor slave was just as unpleasant and brutal as you'd expect.

Hmm . . . Titanicus, but Abnett was a very good read, and gives you a sense of what a Titan war really is.

Let the Galaxy Burn, an anthology of short stories, is also very good, with an amazing depth and breadth of stories.

the1stpip
09-11-2008, 17:31
As I have never read a Black Library book (I've read Inquisitor, Deathwing and Beasts in Velvet), my favourite book would be the 2nd ed Sisters codex.

The amount of background fluff was unbelievable.

sydbridges
09-11-2008, 18:05

Faith and Fire - 9 A Sisters of Battle story. This book really caught me by surprise. One of the best 40K novels out there. IN my book, better than Eisenhorn and Ravenor.

Eisenhorn - 8 The best series so far. The only reason I say this over Ravenor or any Gaunts Ghost novels is that as the story continues, it doesn't get predictable as Ravenor and Gaunts Ghosts series gets.

Horus Herasy Sersies - 7This is a very love/hate specific series as each "chapter", or book, is written by a different author. I inderstand the reasoning behind this - to give weash story and chapter a different flavor - but in the end, it comes off as being disjointed between stories. 50/50 here. Some are extremely well written and very engaging, some are a chore to finish, only to get to the next book and see if it gets better.

Any Gaunts Ghosts The early stuff, some of Abnett's first stories in the 40K universe, are a little hard to get through, like he's still trying to find his voice. As the series goes on, you can see he hits his stride and pretty much becomes "The voice" of 40K fiction. Get the early books for the background on your favorite characters, get the later books for great writing.

Fifteen Hours - 8 A read for ANY Imperial Guard player. Brings me back to basic training. Gritty, no-nonsense, from the trenches story about a fresh 'cruit salpped into the front lines.

Ciaphus Cain Series - 7 Another series that's available as an omnibus, and a better value when picked up as such. Fun, light hearted tales of a reluctant hero Commisar that does become predictable by the third book, but brings a bit of humor and comedy to the "Grim Dark Future that id Only War!". fun, but predictable.

That should do ya for a while. There's some very good writing in the 40K universe and almost anything will give you a good taste of what's out there.

Grab a book and enjoy!

I agree with all the recommendations except on Faith and Fire (which I thought was awful, despite my strong desire that it be good) and Fifteen Hours (which I haven't read). I'd also add the third of the Blood Angels novels by James Swallow - I haven't read the first two (and have heard nothing good about them), but it didn't seem necessary to do so, and if you'd like to read a novel about Space Marines where the majority of the interactions aren't about shooting people in the face, it features the politics of the Blood Angels and their later founding chapters. And some face shooting near the end.

Lord Damocles
09-11-2008, 18:30
I really liked Xenology. It makes a change to have a story set in the 40K'verse which isn't just the main character(s) unloading a can of whupass on everyone in arms reach...

NearsightedFarseer
09-11-2008, 18:53
I'm surprised its been mentioned only once, but storm of iron is my favorite.
A story from the POV of an iron warriors brutal seige of an imperial fortress, with vicious titan v titan action to boot, a must read for any chaos fanboy at heart.

ralphooo
12-11-2008, 23:20
Always wanted to get my hand on a copy of that...

MrBigMr
13-11-2008, 00:07
A must for any CSM fanboy you mean. To tell the truth, the most interesting bit in the whole novel was Urlana, and her fate was such an anti-climax that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. But I've never liked Marines, loyalist or otherwise.

I've found Pawns of Chaos and Daemon World to paint a good picture of Chaos society. Makes them far more than just psycho Marines with issues. How does the prospect of families, care, love and devotion sound like? No Inquisitor telling you you're doing it wrong and throwing you into jail. No conscription. Hell, in PoC they even wonder why the Imperium hates them so much and why their gods couldn't live side by side. When an Imperial soldier cracks a little child's neck and curses at the body, you'll start rooting for Chaos more than ever.

Rutteger1
13-11-2008, 00:36
that sounds interesting... but i dont understand how that works, because aren't the majority of chaos marines insane, chaotic, and obsessed with killing???????

Daemonia
13-11-2008, 01:17
that sounds interesting... but i dont understand how that works, because aren't the majority of chaos marines insane, chaotic, and obsessed with killing???????

Chaos Marines? Yes. Not every single worshipper of Chaos is, however.

Koryphaus
13-11-2008, 01:26
OP, are you a fan of The Wheel of Time series?

The Last Chancers series is ok, but the Lasweapon descriptions are a bit funny, talking about bullets and things, but not bad stories for all that. Lord of the Night, Storm of Iron, Dark Apostle are all excellent CSM books.

Also, I know it isn't 40k, but the Fantasy title Death's Messenger is quite good as well.

Thud
13-11-2008, 03:08

Many of the protagonists of the greatest literary works in modern time are raving lunatics, and those books work just fine. ;)

MrBigMr
13-11-2008, 03:15
Well, like everyone has already said, Marines, loyal or traitor, are but a tiny fraction of the fighting forces out there. There's only a million Marines within the Imperium, an empire of a billion planets. There's a ton of planets within the Eye or Terror, around it and in other parts of the galaxy where Chaos has spread its tentacles and spiky bits. Chaos worshiping comes in various forms. For one, on many world, even loyalist ones, Slaanesh pleasure cults are mainly S&M clubs for bored rich people that just don't know better.

As for Marines, the CSM codex itself sez that free from the restraings of their dogmatic conditioning, Chaos Marines are able to feel and experience great many things, even love. In Farseer there's a Marine that feels like he's on weed all the time. He doesn't seem very interested on anything and just listens to the sounds inside his head.

Rutteger1
13-11-2008, 21:34
I honestyl think the only race that makes sense are the eldar and tau. Even tho the SM s are my favs. The tau just want happiness and puppies and rainbows and peace, and the eldar are selfish, but they get it. The Space marines are basically a futuristic representation of nazis :|

Jadmoroth
13-11-2008, 21:58
I like Gaunt's ghosts and pretty much anything by Abnett. I was gonna get Horus rising but I'm a poor student so i reckomended it to my library

Rutteger1
13-11-2008, 23:19
ja i hear gaunt's is good.

Damocles8
14-11-2008, 00:25
Abnett does a great job....I've read everything in the Gaunt's Ghosts series; Double Eagle; and Titanicus......

I'll also second Let the Galaxy Burn....great stories to read

Rioghan Murchadha
14-11-2008, 02:17
the 1st Grey Knight book is really high on my list. It totally changed my perception of the GKs, previously I tought they were just marines with more bling, now they are one of my favorite force in 40K. It certainly made me expand the small force I had to a full blown army.

So you mean you like the GKs now that you realize that they have an affirmative hiring program re:the mentally disabled? Alaric has to be the worst excuse for a soldier the Imperium has ever seen. In 2 books he looses what, an entire squad of GK terminators, 2+ squads of regular grey knights, and a battle barge... Any idea how much that cost the taxpayers? How they don't promote him to Master of the Dishwasher or something, I'll never know.

Drakon
14-11-2008, 03:45
So you mean you like the GKs now that you realize that they have an affirmative hiring program re:the mentally disabled? Alaric has to be the worst excuse for a soldier the Imperium has ever seen. In 2 books he looses what, an entire squad of GK terminators, 2+ squads of regular grey knights, and a battle barge... Any idea how much that cost the taxpayers? How they don't promote him to Master of the Dishwasher or something, I'll never know.

Looking at the negatives. He also managed to banish 3 grand daemons and destroy a daemon world. Small price to pay i reckon.

So far ive read:

- GK trilogy
- Space wolf series
- Last chancers trilogy
- Ultramarines omnibus
- IG (15 hours, deathworld, desert raiders, rebel winter)
- Daemon world
- Dark apostle
- HH series
- Raveanor trilogy
- Angels of darkness
- lord of night
- and deathwing

all have been phat books and worth the read except deathwing, i just didnt like the short stories and mainly the first one because of the names, come on what marines would call themselves (two talking heads). :wtf:

My favs so far would be Dark apostle, Angels of darkness and Sons of fenris.

shin'keiro
14-11-2008, 07:19
Gaunts Ghosts and Ravenor for me...

Shangrila
14-11-2008, 08:34
Im a pilot and love aviation so Double Eagle is my 40k book of choice, however my buddy swears by the Commissar Caine and Gaunts ghosts novels.(he plays guard too) then my roommate plays chaos and he likes the inquisitor books... eisenhorn i believe.

Grendrill
14-11-2008, 10:30
I'm currently reading the Ultramarine Omnibus & Killing Ground and I have the first two books in the Horus series, which I'm saving to read in Fiji in a couple of weeks.

I know its not WH40k but the Troy trilogy by David Gemmell is worth mentioning as a great war series...