PDA

View Full Version : Hardback Rule Book and City Fight Book?

GotTofu
08-11-2008, 22:00
Well I've been painting 40k figures for a few years as a hobby but recently decided to try to actually play the game. I bought the AoBR box and got the mini rule book.

I was wondering if it was worth it to shell out an additional $50 for the real hard cover rule book?

Also I plan to regularly have quite a few building/ruins on my home set up. Is the city fight book worth it / necessary?

Thanks

Jagger
08-11-2008, 22:07
If you want the additional fluff get the hard back but you've got what you need in the mini book. The city fight book is good especially in well built up boards with those strategems & all the missions in there

Occulto
08-11-2008, 22:10
Does the mini book have all the campaign stuff and non-standard missions at the back? Or is it like the previous edition where you got the core rules and nothing else?

Jagger
08-11-2008, 22:14
Same as last time

ehlijen
09-11-2008, 00:41
While the missions and stratagems in the CoD book are nice, most of the rules have been supplanted by the 5th ed rulebook. It's still a great conversion showcase book if nothing else though.

sukigod
09-11-2008, 00:57
The Cities of Death vook is more a resource for specific city fighting, although the new rulebook defines how you should use buidlings. The scenarios and strategems are the real reason, along with ideas on settign up city specific tables, are the real gem of this book. A good investment is you're looking for some shake'em up on the table.

HsojVvad
09-11-2008, 17:35
This time I didn't by the box set, and just got the rule book. I am glad I did, since there is lot more flavour in it that the 4h edtion. I am glad I didn't get the 4h edtion hard cover rule book, but glad I got the 5th.

If you don't care about the fluff and what not I wouldn't bother and get more mini's, but if you like the fluff, go to your GW store and have a good look at the BRB or borrow a buddies copy if you can and look through that.

RexTalon
09-11-2008, 18:16
I always buy the big book and only the big book. If I'm playing a special city board then it's going to be a scenario game and I can make up my own rules, thank you very much.