PDA

View Full Version : Ent options in WD282 - still legal?

Ben
08-11-2008, 23:17
I'm thinking of getting an Ent army, as frankly I'll be able to finish it quite quickly and it'll look nice. This is the list:

1 x Treebeard
4 x Ent

Toal - 670 points.

This leaves me with 30 points spare, and I'm wondering if the different species of Ent rules in WD 282 are still usable (obviously Birch isn't) but taking one Ent as Hawthorn and one as Fir or Beech to get to an even 700 might be nice. I note the article has been removed from the GW site (along with most LOTR articles) and the Two Towers journey book removes the tree-ish rule and increases the points cost of standard ents. I have no objection to this, and think it is fair, but I'm wondering what I can do to give the force some variety and make it up to 700. Taking Merry and Pippin for an additional 20 points would not be the best solution in my opinion, as the only logical thing to do would be to hide them somwhere, and they would make my break point unfeasibly high (4 instead of 3, and people will find killing 4 Ents a bit of a pain).

What do people think? I will be going with the following models for the army - Treebeard (with some conversion), 2 x standard Ent (with conversion), marauder treeman (with conversion) and 5th ed treeman (with conversion). I will indeed be poorhammering it as well, as I want to put the army together for less than 50 (so ebay will be my friend).

Opinions?

LeeHarvey
08-11-2008, 23:20
I don't see why it wouldn't be. Maybe not for a tourney, but if your gaming group is cool they probably wont mind you using it.

Ben
08-11-2008, 23:26
Virtually everyone in my gaming group hates LOTR anyway (some with an evangelical passion), but everyone is pretty laid back as long as you aren't extracting the urine with special rules from WD/the internet. I'll put it together, it can't be any worse than the time we fought evil vs evil, which was a massive snafu.

Ben
08-11-2008, 23:58
Here is another question - Ent models, the GW ones are on 60mm bases aren't they?

And has anyone used the Warhammer Treemen as the basis for Ents (the old Marauder and 5e ones, not the current 30 one)? Are they a similar size (just much thicker in the trunk) to the generic Ents?

WillFightForFood
09-11-2008, 03:03
Taking Merry and Pippin for an additional 20 points would not be the best solution in my opinion, as the only logical thing to do would be to hide them somwhere, and they would make my break point unfeasibly high (4 instead of 3, and people will find killing 4 Ents a bit of a pain).

Assuming you can hide them. Assuming they don't get magicked or shot to death. Otherwise your breakpoint becomes 2 Ents. With enough bodies it's pretty easy to make that happen. Better to leave them at home or bring a more survivable single 25-30 point model like a Ranger of the North or Merry, Knight of the Mark. Your break point is the same and you get an additional point of might.

Ents will just about crush just about everything they have to fight save some of the big bads on the other side. Even if the opponent gets 10 attacks to their 3, they still have a 47% chance to win. Moreover, if the Ents lose, only 1/12 attacks from a standard orc will on average wound. That assumes enough troops can make the terror test to get into combat with the Ents in the first place.

The first problem with that list is that if you lose even a single Ent, your fighting power is down considerably. If your opponent gets lucky, you will be in trouble. Plus you can't count on that courage 6 if you hit your break point. A single Nazgul using Drain courage could wreak havoc on your Ents.

The second, and probably more real, problem with that list is that you essentially concede several of the Legions of Middle Earth scenarios. Victory in LoME is not about simply crushing an opponent. As a result, any scenarios that involve having more models do something than an opponent, so "Storm the Camp", "Domination", "The High Ground" "Take and Hold", "Reconnoitre", are all out of reach. A solid Goblin force at 700 points will have 50+ models. Even if you opponents lose 20 models total, they still have at least 30 to claim parts of the board and satisfy victory conditions.

It's doable, but certainly problematic.

Ben
09-11-2008, 12:04
No one in my club has LoME, I didn't even know there were scenarios in there. As I said, LotR is about as popular as AIDS in my club, but given how cheap it is to collect I'm trying to encourage it. I've got 700 points of goblins and Dwarves, and some Gondor knocking around, and I'm looking for something interesting to put on the table as well (as most of our battles so far are some shooting and meet in the middle). I'm trying to build up some interesting forces, and Ents strike me as a cheap and easy and quick to paint one. I'll likely be doing Easterlings and Gondor next year.

WillFightForFood
09-11-2008, 15:08
LoME has 12 scenarios, plus rules for random terrain generation, in addition to the army lists and allies lists. I would recommend getting it if you intend to play with anyone else and do not intend to use the scenarios from the Journey books and Sourcebooks.

I'll say that Easterlings are a boring force. They are very limited in their options.

Ben
09-11-2008, 17:49
I was going to add some Khand to them. I've picked the Kings chariot up cheap off ebay, I was going to add a couple more, some horse and some infantry, to give the easterlings some lighter cavalry and cheap infantry options. I've already had the criticism leveled that LOTR is boring, but I think it is because my Dwarves are all infantry and few characters, and my goblins only have 1 troll and no monsters (because they always fight people who kill the expensive monsters straight away with long range fire) I think the game was a bit dull. I'll look at the way we play, the armies I've got (as I'll be providing them for a while) and see if I can get a copy of Legions of middle earth.

horizon
14-11-2008, 14:59
No one in my club has LoME, I didn't even know there were scenarios in there. As I said, LotR is about as popular as AIDS in my club, but given how cheap it is to collect I'm trying to encourage it. I've got ....

I'd call a moderator on that phrase.

RohanCaptain
14-11-2008, 15:21
It would be fun just to play it for a bit.

If you're playing just for fun, you should take merry and pippin, since they're already riding on top of Treebeard. They could help with their might/will, and you can also come up with some rules about how they can dismount if you want them to. Roll a dice, on a 1, they fall and on their way down they hit Treebeard on the sack, so he can't move next turn, and the hobbitt takes a S3 hit. 2-5, he climbs down, can't move. On a 6, climbs down, and moves as normal.

It's just a suggestion, but what I love about LOTR, is all the possible combinations you can make, as crazy as they might sound, still play, and have fun with it.