PDA

View Full Version : Battle for skull world?

ehlijen
09-11-2008, 09:50
I hope this is the right place; if not, sorry.

I just saw the new battle boards on display at the local GW. A few of the sections feature roughened up ground revealing the underlying terrain:

It's all skulls? In an almost regular pattern too? Not overlapping, no signs of other bones...

Is this some sort of fossilised skull farm? Is skullolite it's own type of stone or some sort geological formation?

I knew GW liked skulls, but this seems like the creator of the grimdarkians snuck into the design studio and edited the master moulds.

What do people think of this?

Adra
09-11-2008, 10:28
Well i think its just supposed to represent a chaos tainted world or a scene of a great battle. Or any of your suggestions are fine to. Galaxy of a million worlds and all that. Could be anything.

Sidstyler
09-11-2008, 10:30
...you're serious? I thought it was just roughed up earth, there's actually skulls in it?

I think it's legally a fetish now. :rolleyes:

jason_sation
09-11-2008, 11:03
Put Necrons on it, and you've got the beginning of Terminator 2!

Grimtuff
09-11-2008, 11:13
From what i've heard there are panels that come with the board (the stores didn't get them nor the bag with their "display" copy as it were) to cover up the piles of skulls. ;)

Griefbringer
09-11-2008, 11:22
Khorne must be mightily pleased.

Ravenheart
09-11-2008, 11:35
There is a BL story (the name escapes me atm) that takes place on a deamon world. Said world has an additional stratum consisting of skulls and bones.

Grimtuff
09-11-2008, 12:10
There is a BL story (the name escapes me atm) that takes place on a deamon world. Said world has an additional stratum consisting of skulls and bones.

Correct. Daemon World by Ben Counter. Though the bones are not human ;)

Lord Damocles
09-11-2008, 14:27
Wooo. Skulls. How very Grim:skull:Dark.

If Grim:skull:Dark = Skulls = Cool, then Unfeasibly large numbers of skulls = Profit.

Right? :eyebrows:

Joewrightgm
09-11-2008, 14:50
@ Lord damocles:

Its actually
Step 1: Skulls
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Profit.

sydbridges
09-11-2008, 15:40
...you're serious? I thought it was just roughed up earth, there's actually skulls in it?

I think it's legally a fetish now. :rolleyes:

They actually point out the skull patch in November's White Dwarf. They're all like, "It's a distinctive feature! You could use it as a happy place for Khorne!"

susu.exp
09-11-2008, 15:55
They even gave it a special rules in the BatRep: Any model moving over the skull patch becomes frenzied. It´s actually exploited in the game as well...

Victomorga
09-11-2008, 17:47
wow. this is all getting to be a bit much.

people have been harping on the abundance of skulls for a while now, and I didn't think too much of it. the games are all about war after all, and trophies of battle and cast off remains of one's enemies seemed fitting. but then things started getting a little over the top, and now I just don't know what they are thinking.

maybe this is a symptom of the GW guys getting on in years, and starting to come to terms with their own mortality. that might also explain the ever decreasing humor level in GW games.

or maybe all those little skulls are hand-carved out of actual bone. that would explain the cost of the table.

Victomorga
09-11-2008, 17:49
They even gave it a special rules in the BatRep: Any model moving over the skull patch becomes frenzied. It´s actually exploited in the game as well...

I wonder if this was a design feature they planned on from the start and were pointing out in the battle report, or something they thought up after the table went into production as an excuse for a part of the sculpt they realized looked a bit goofy.

EDIT: does anybody have an image where you can clearly see the subterranean skull-layer? (can't say I ever imaged I would be typing those words in that order for any reason...)

RexTalon
09-11-2008, 18:14
From what i've heard there are panels that come with the board (the stores didn't get them nor the bag with their "display" copy as it were) to cover up the piles of skulls. ;)

I don't know if you meant that as a joke, but it's not true in any case.

People, a little spackle and static grass goes pretty far.

Lord Damocles
09-11-2008, 18:15
EDIT: does anybody have an image where you can clearly see the subterranean skull-layer? (can't say I ever imaged I would be typing those words in that order for any reason...)
Check it out:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=1&aId=10100005&start=2
(The first pic on the second row. For some reason GW doesn't think people would want close-ups...)

There's, like, skulls and everything. It's *so* cool! :skull::skull::skull::skull:

Temprus
10-11-2008, 05:03
Wooo. Skulls. How very Grim:skull:Dark.

If Grim:skull:Dark = Skulls = Cool, then Unfeasibly large numbers of skulls = Profit.

Right? :eyebrows:

It is not grimdark (http://www.grimdark.com) enough. ;) If I remeber right, two panels have big patches of skulls, the rest just have a few skulls and bones here and there.

cailus
10-11-2008, 05:11
Maybe you're so enthralled by the skulls, you don't notice the price tag?

Devil Tree
10-11-2008, 09:21
I believe the terrain piece was if an old imperial head farm. This is obviously one of the few highly contested worlds with the appropriate nutrient content for this manner of cultivation. Said heads are later used for servo skulls, fuel and children’s toys. While it is possible to grow the heads in vats, it is vastly more economical, ecological and nutritious to grow them in a “green” manner. Such farms are very productive, producing up to five hundred head per acre in a single season. This most assuredly is the explanation for the abundance of skulls and the near absence of any other bones.

Since there is no evidence of agricultural activity, the farmers and their families most surely must have been slaughtered by Chaos worshipers. Probably butchered in an unholy orgy of blasphemous sadomasochistic depravity, before their mangled rotting corpses were stolen by worshipers of Slaanesh.

The farm was then obviously forgotten and left fallow, with the heads un-harvested. After many years, the remains of those heads were likely uncovered, by a routine orbital bombardment. Those commonly used on heretics, who fail to see the beloved and benevolent light of the merciful God-Emperor of mankind. Right now the Imperium is simply “cleansing” away vagrants on their rightful claim, while as a bonus, fertilizing the soil with the blood of the innocents.

Now I’m really starting to get tired of this constant overstatement, on what turns out to be little more than the “current” Imperial methods of agricultural production. I’ll have you know; I’m starting take offence at those who characterize the 40k universe as being overly “Grimdark”.:mad:

Sidstyler
10-11-2008, 09:59
People, a little spackle and static grass goes pretty far.

Okay, doesn't that seem just a tad ridiculous? You're already shelling out close to $300 for the damn thing in the first place, and then you still have to go out and buy spackle to cover up some of the more asinine parts of the board?

Kinda defeats the purpose of buying one for the sake of convenience then doesn't it? It would have been easier to design the thing without the skulls in the first place! Unless they seriously thought the moronic skull stratum is going to sell the damn board. It's not stupid, it's quirky!

God, whatever, I don't even care, I'm not buying one. I just don't see the point...yeah, of course you can just cover it up with terrain or grass, but still.

Noserenda
10-11-2008, 13:05
Ok, Devil Tree wins the thread... :D

But seriously, if they were all kinds of bones it would be a nasty reminder of wars cost or somesuch, but just skulls? On more than one section? TNow thats Kinda annoying :skull:

Adra
10-11-2008, 13:11
Really dont know why people have a problem with this. 40k is ridiculous...why is this a step too far?

Shibboleth
10-11-2008, 13:47
Okay, doesn't that seem just a tad ridiculous? You're already shelling out close to $300 for the damn thing in the first place, and then you still have to go out and buy spackle to cover up some of the more asinine parts of the board?
:wtf: If you're paying that much money you want to get something that you at least can't do yourself with a bit of foam and flock. That's the point.

I wish they'd make a whole sprue of just skulls.
There's not enough available to do anything I want. Even the new skeleton warriors sprue doesn't have enough for the money, including all those spares...

People will complain about anything. This thread is ridiculous.
:skull: :skull: :skull:

willydstyle
10-11-2008, 14:32
I for one think that the skull patches are pretty damned cool... of course the fact that I've been playing with berzerkers for the last 15 years may have something to do with my bias :)

There's a piece of art from the 2nd ed chaos codex that has a really cool looking berzerker standing on a field of skulls. It was always one of my favorite pieces... and I think that it's neat that the artwork has been realized in some small way.

Chaos worlds are a major part of the ridiculousness that is 40k, so why all the bother?

E-616
10-11-2008, 14:51
I saw this new table in my local GW, at first I thought it was just something they knocked together themselves before I took a proper look at it all, very nice I thought.

Still not paying 150 quid for it though.