PDA

View Full Version : I've converted to another army....

Shinguuji
09-11-2008, 11:15
Share stories of you converting to other armies here...

I just can't help but share this. I used to think I'd never ever play 'space elves'. I didn't like the models, didn't like the fluff, didn't like anything about them. My planned armies was blood angels(completed), tyranids(on the crux of completion) and guard(was waiting for new codex). Looks like I won't be playing guard anymore....

I started playing DoW a bit, and I realised that warp spiders are pretty cool. Then I started to find fire dragons really sweet, and now, I have my first bunch of warp spiders ready to paint after I dip my Tyranids.

The main turning point came was when I was fooling around with creating an army list. I tried creating something fast, tactical and yet competitive. I came up with this : 2Dire Advengers in serpents, Autarch with guardian jetbikes, striking scorpions, warp spiders, fire dragons, falcon. I fell in love with the list straight away. I've been wanting for something like this for a long time, except I didn't know I could do it with eldar.

I still don't really fancy a few of the eldar models, but all the ones in my army I find as really cool, I really love the warp spiders, fire dragons most of all.

Similarly, with the fluff, I don't really like some portions of it. I like the Saim-Hann portion of it though, they do strange and exotic rituals, and yet seem to have a carefree spirit, makes them seem really alien and different. I don't really like the ulthwe and biel-tan craftworlds, as they seem the focus on the eldar's sneering arrogance more than anything. I might be wrong, but that's the impression I get anyway.

A word on army stereotypes. I used to think all eldar are just a bunch of annoying, sneering elves who call humans mon-keigh(still find it very annoying), and came with compulsory minimum 3 falcons and harlequins, but I guess there are other dimensions to it.

Lastly, I still don't regret playing blood angels after all that. For some reason, a few people somehow or another, comes to regret playing marines after collecting their 2nd army

squeekenator
09-11-2008, 11:33
Personally, I always saw Tau as being a nice adversary for my Tyranids, but too pansy for my taste. They just sat there and shot, how boring is that? And the only things they had that even approached the coolness level of a Hive Tyrant were rail guns, and a single weapon does not an army make. But one day, when I was deciding which army to collect next, I jokingly thought "Maybe Tau?" and then followed through and realised that I actually liked the idea. Mobile and shooty, a nice 'good' race, plenty of vehicles to make up for never having any for my Tyranids... Of course, it's Grey Knight time before that, because Grey Knights are the most badass badasses that ever badassed, but I'm definitely going to collect Tau at some point.

Imperialis_Dominatus
09-11-2008, 12:10
I played Guard for a long time. Then I came up with a story in a 'what if...' scenario once. Now I'm hooked on my Chapter and I've never looked back.

==Me==
09-11-2008, 15:51
I played marines from the beginning, but when after playing DoW and checking out all the new Orky stuff coming out with the codex I was immediately sold. Now I have a ton of Orks awaiting painting while I consider picking up more Daemons or starting Eldar/Tau.

MrGiggles
09-11-2008, 16:03
Well, I'm still having fun with Orks. Lots ot painting opportunities and chances to convert. That being said I'm also getting started on a Witch Hunters and Space Wolves. Orks will still be my main army, but there are definitely days where I don't feel like dropping a few hundred models onto the table. For those days, I'll have my Witch Hunters and Space Wolves.

Witch Hunters:

Inquisitor Lord and Retinue
Priest
Arco-Flagellents
Assassin (I just won a lot of all four on eBay, so I'll have a bit of variety)
Death Cult Assassins
1 Unit of Storm Troopers
Penitent Engines
Space Wolves Grey Hunters (Tactical Squad)

I figure I'll be able to do the whole thing in 50 models or less.

I've also wound up with a Rune Priest, an Iron Priest and a Wolf Guard or two. So, I'll probably grab a unit of Blood Claws or another unit of Grey Hunters and maybe a Venerable Dread call it quits for the Space Wolves army there, just use a small force for quicky games. Most of it is basically there to go with the Witch Hunters or because I just wanted to paint it.

MrBigMr
09-11-2008, 17:56
I don't know if it's my dyslexia or my headache or maybe I'm just tired, but I couldn't make absolute sense of what's the deal here, but lets see if I got it right.

I started 40K with IG. I like the loyal masses marching into death. How couldn't I, for I am one of them. I've just always been a sucker for the underdog and all. And I always preferred the "good guys" for better or for worse.

I never liked Chaos. I found it to be generic, something for all those that wanted to be the evil SOB with all the horns and corruption and all. Totally not my cup of tea. Well, then I got into BFG and after coming to the conclusion that Imperium was not for me, I opted to take Chaos ships. Didn't really care for it, but had to take something and they seemed quite simple force to play with. And I themed them Slaaneshi, as I lost a few times too many to an Eldar fleet. I said that my Imperial admiral fell to Chaos because of the Eldar.

Ok, I got my ships and at some point we got into talking about all sorts of "play boarding action as 40K scenarios" stuff and I actually found rules for it. I did play around with the idea and planned a small force of Chaos troops (not CSM) to use for such actions, but we never really got into it. But the force stuck with me, even picking up some new elements around it.

I don't remember the exact time and place where I came to the conclusion that I'm to make it, but few years, 3 written novels of fluff and few hundred euros of stuff later I've began working on the force. Originally it was meant for the old CSM codex (still not SM by fluff), but the new one screwed that plan and I'm now working with the new SM codex. Project log here. (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167424)

Along the years I've started a WHFB daemon army (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152337) (like the gameplay, loved Diaz models), "Chaos" Dwarfs (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165632) (didn't like normal dwarfs, wanted a cheap and effective army) and generally become more appreciative of the complexity of Chaos. I still dislike the stereotypical aspects of Chaos, but there's a whole world of things beyond it that one can work with.

So there, is this what this thread was all about?

Getifa Ubazza
09-11-2008, 18:27
When i started, i loved my Orks and my Guard. I collected them with a passion. Tyranids on the other hand were the ugliest models i had ever seen. The Genestealers were ok, but the rest were just bad. Then the new Warriors came out and they got my attention. This lead me to look at the other Nids and i started to imagine how i would paint them. I ended up with well over 3000pts from nowhere

totgeboren
09-11-2008, 18:45
when I was a little kid, I used to borrow some of my older brothers "space orks" (this was for RT), painted as death skulls.

Anyway, with 2:ed, I started collecting my own army, which was nurgle chaos space marines. I played them for the entire 2:ed. At the end of 2:ed, I got interested in the Word Bearers. They just had some fluff and a paintscheme in the codex, but that was enough for me to reconsider my nurgle fellows.

Anyway, when the 3.5 chaos codex came out, I dropped my nurgle dudes and started a real Word Bearer army, and when the LatD codex came, I started up a LatD army too.

Anyway, after winning way to often with the 3.5 codex, I started orks. There was a WD article for the different ork clans, and the deathskulls really caught my eye. I was just gonna start a small 500 pts army, but it ended up as a 3500 pts warband with a stompa! :D

The new ork codex made the orks abit boring to play, since I have only lost one game so far (and that was an objective-based game), and the latest chaos codex made chaos abit boring too, but for other reasons.

So now I picked up my old LatD and am using them as IG. Now i have 1500 pts pure IG too. :)

(also, I have gotten the Chaos codex to feel fun again, by using some clever count-as.)

Orbital102
09-11-2008, 19:01
Shinguuji: As a corollary to your post, I wanted to mention there's a lot to be said for being able to enjoy an army even if it's not one you want to play. For example, I have a huge love affair going for Orks right now, though I'd never play them. If someone offered me a free box of Boyz, I'd give it away just to get rid of it. Yet I enjoy them so much... in someone else's hands.

I'm pure Eldar. I've tried to play other armies and I can't. I've owned and collected Tau, Sisters of Battle, Dark Eldar, Marines, Tyranids... and I always sell them before I play more than a couple of games. It just doesn't feel natural to me. But I'd hate having to play against nothing but Eldar for the rest of my life. Those other armies are just fantastic... but I love them more in the hands of people who give them the attention and investment they deserve.

Starchild
09-11-2008, 20:02
I just can't help but share this. I used to think I'd never ever play 'space elves'. I didn't like the models, didn't like the fluff, didn't like anything about them. My planned armies was blood angels(completed), tyranids(on the crux of completion) and guard(was waiting for new codex). Looks like I won't be playing guard anymore....

I went through several army adoptions since 40k Rogue Trader 1987.

First I was Tyranids, when there were only 6 Tyranid models in production (2 "Gaunts" and 4 Zoats.) No one else in our group of friends played them, so it was more for wanting a unique faction. I also dabbled with the RT Guard and Squats, but never built a full army.

When I realized the Tyranids weren't going anywhere, I shifted to Eldar, even before the first bona fide Craftworld army list in WD 127. The WD 100 Harlequins were ultra cool, and then the Aspect Warrior teaser from Goodwin's sketchbook had me sold.

Then 3rd edition came along and completely neutered the Eldar from total 2nd edition dominance. Thorpe's horrific Eldar Codex nearly got me out of the game completely. I got tired of being outgunned with my paltry 12" range weapons, so I was drawn into the ranks of the Imperial Guard. I built a combined Praetorian and Steel Legion army, but I found the play style of Guard a little boring for the lack of mobility. (Although, to this day, I maintain that the best game of 40k I ever had was my IG vs. Tau.)

I also built a Dark Angels army, and then 4th ed. came out. Now, after all this time, the Eldar have a decent list that isn't overpowering like 2nd ed., and almost every unit is worth taking, so I'm a happy camper for the time being. :cool:

Krapsa_Khan
11-11-2008, 20:50
I played Death Guard for the longest time. Despite it's harsh restrictions, I found a way to have fun and even (however rarely) win. When the current ahCso codex came out, I felt myself getting sick for the very first time. I tried to convert. Tried and failed. My Nurgle marines now sit safely stowed in their case waiting for a new codex that might give them back some of their flare.

I switched over to Nurgle deamons briefly, but playing with monterous creatures doesn't really appeal to me.

Now, I spend my time making Killa Kans from nothing but bits and remnants - mainly bits of my former Death Gaurd. The Kan heavy list doesn't win often, but I have never had more fun!

For my budies - I never left my box. I just upgraded, cleaned, and gave it legs.

-Death comes to all things.-

ChaplainVarnus
18-11-2008, 18:51
I played with orks until I was loaned a Tyranid army at WW and kicked ass more than orks can kick ass. Doesn't take as long to deploy now... Why is everyone going off Tyranids in 5th?

Hicks
18-11-2008, 19:03
I have always had a dislike for the Tau and they are probably the one army I never thought to collect. Then last game I was at my firend's house and he mentioned he wanted to get rid of them. Now his Taus were in a pitifull condition, but he had loads and he didn't want much for them.

In the morning of that day I had the hardest exam I probably ever will have and I was drained, so my mind wasn't really apt at making good descisions. Add beer and fatigue and what do you know, Hicks now has a Tau army.

I've got a dozen of stories like that :cries:. BTW, anyone wants some Tau? ;)

DarkMatter2
19-11-2008, 22:19
I'm pretty proud to say, at this moment, that I have never converted.

I have one Guard army, and I just started building two more.

DarkReaver
20-11-2008, 12:44
I forget which GW site it is but I think it's the US or UK one that shows a nice squad of Blood Pact under the Imperial Guard Doctrine section.

I've almost converted my entire Imperial Guard army to look like those Blood Pact troopers and I tell you it's really annoying to do (at least to me anyways).

alphastealer
20-11-2008, 13:58
I started out with tyranids 5 years ago and knew they were the army for me. Unique in many ways with endless configuration options.

A year ago I felt an itch and picked up a 1500pt marine army to see what it felt like to roll saves. I found out that my marines tended to fail almost as many saves as my tyranid warriors and were far more bland...so now I am back with my nids.

Sometimes it takes a little army adultery to realise what you had was better...the best thing about army adutery is that your first army will always take you back...provided you spoil it with some new models and a touch up of paint.

Sister_Sin
20-11-2008, 14:28
I started with Salamanders when the game came out. I tinkered with Saimhan Eldar for a bit after that...then RoC came out and the World Eaters claimed me for the next several years. I tinkered here and there; Ebon Chalice sisters when the first Codex came out, Dark Eldar when 3e came out, Armored Battlegroup which is still under construction. I have a few Necrons, but that was more tinkering.

Currently I build the tanks because I like building tanks, but the World Eaters still own my soul. I have Lord Zhufor to assemble, World Eaters Dread ditto, Tower of Skulls to make and so on.

I will never be free of the World Eaters. Never.

Sister Sin

Yautja
20-11-2008, 15:35
I was never a fan of terminators until you could pick them up cheap from people selling off the extras of the AoBR. Couple of cheap Dreads and Terms later I have a 2000 pt Death Wing for less then $200.