PDA

View Full Version : eldar guardians,useless?

howlinmonkey
09-11-2008, 14:00
Hi!,
I've been using an eldar force recently and was wondering if
any other eldar player finds them pretty ineffective? Unless in
vehicles,their short range weapons combined with a support weapon
which if you move you can't use really tie your hands behind you
r back. To me they are the weak link in an eldar force,especially
with the new rules for victory conditions.Also being relativly
new to forums,can someone tell me what is PLANETSTRIKE?
cheers.

IceDragon84
09-11-2008, 14:07
I don't have my codex with me, but I'm pretty sure the support weapon can shoot when the squad moves.

Lord Damocles
09-11-2008, 14:23
I don't have my codex with me, but I'm pretty sure the support weapon can shoot when the squad moves.
So am I.

Anyway, Guardians. Admittedly they're not the greatest Troops choice in the world, but IMO they do have their uses:

-Cheap
-Mobile Heavy Weapon (the only Eldar Troop choice which has access to one)
-Access to template weapons or cheap Fusion Guns
-Cheap
-With Fortune or Conceal they can quite happily hold an objective in your deployment zone
-Cheap

Leo
09-11-2008, 14:27
no idea about planetstrike but the Support Weapons of a Guardian Squad can absolutely fire on the move.
Guardians are considered almost worthless by quite a lot of people.
While I´d agree, that they aren´t that killy due to their low range they can come in handy in cover, where their armour i not so important. They hold objectives and sometimes hold enemy squads in place until the Banshees arrive.

I use mine in portions of 15 with a warlock and usually a Scatterlaser or rocketlauncher to keep them flexible. Park them on the objectives in my deployment zone and they won´t leave in a hurry.

As warlock powers I often use Embolden over Conceal, when there is enough cover because of the low Leadership of Guardians.

BaronDG
09-11-2008, 14:29
Yes, a support weapon is assault.

They are not very attractive outside holding objectives but this they can do pretty well. With a warlock, they can have 5+ save no-matter where the objective is placed. But if they're not supported, they are toast (it gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling inside to put a flamer to some guardians...).

Joewrightgm
09-11-2008, 14:47
I despise Guadians because they're a major nuisance to get rid of.

If you ignore them, thats a kill point and a scoring unit, however if you target them, the opponent is not out that much either. The real deal is the 5+ conceal save and the weapon platform, although the shurikens can make a mess if you're not careful.

Good unit, somewhat underused in my experience.

susu.exp
09-11-2008, 15:07
Also being relativly new to forums,can someone tell me what is PLANETSTRIKE?
cheers.

Planetstrike is a rumored - but rather well confirmed by now - 40k supplement akin to cities of death and apocalypse (written by Phil Kelly). While we don´t know what it will entail exactly, it will focus on the first stages of planetary battles, where an attacking force makes planetfall. Rumor has it it´ll have its "big kit" in the shape of a plastic thunderhawk...

Blue Orphen
09-11-2008, 17:24
Guardians have a number of advantages, already mentioned in this thread.

But, one thing you shouldn't discount is just how CHEAP they can be. A squad of 10 with a Shuriken Cannon is less than 100 points; change that for a Scatter Laser and you can sit them in your deployment zone and take potshots from 36" away.

In 4th Edition, they were pretty much useless. Now, with the importance of Troops in 5th Edition, they've become useful again. I find they play a similar role to that of Grots - a cheap squad that won't do much, but your opponent won't want to waste any real effort getting rid of them.

Glabro
09-11-2008, 20:31
So am I.

Anyway, Guardians. Admittedly they're not the greatest Troops choice in the world, but IMO they do have their uses:

-Cheap
-Cheap
-With Fortune or Conceal they can quite happily hold an objective in your deployment zone
-Cheap

Guardians are NOT cheap, cheap, cheap. 8 points is not cheap anymore. Compare a guardian to an ork at 6 points or even one of the upcoming guardsmen (4 points?) and you'll see what cheap really is. Alternatively, allow 5 man teams with the support weapon.

5 man storm guardian teams with two special weapons is an okay troop - except for kill point missions.

I don't find much use for them at their current price. Take 2 points off per model, and I'll happily wield them, but as it is, it's plain Dire Avengers for me instead.

Grimmeth
09-11-2008, 21:45
It's not that they're bad, just generally trumped by the alternatives (Dire Avengers). Although they can have rather large unit sizes and can sit on an objective quite happily - as many opponents won't want to waste the resources trying to kill them.

MrGiggles
09-11-2008, 22:00
I'm on page with the majority of folks. I'd never call Guardians the best troop choice the Eldar have, but they're not a complete write off either. The squads are fairly shooty and the ability to drop a Warlock in can definitely make them more survivable. The weapon platforms are handy since they can fire on the move and at least threaten targets outside of the rest of the squad's range. While parking them on or near an objective and in cover is increasingly the norm, it's also not the only tactic you can use with Guardians. I seem to recall more than a few folks playing pure Ulthwe lists once upon a time, so Guardians certainly have their uses (though 5th has definitely made some changes to how they operate).

That being said, Guardians are still a bunch of T3 guys with a 5+ save, a single attack and Ld 8. Probably not the group of guys you want to charge a unit of Khorne Berserkers.

Orbital102
09-11-2008, 22:37
I love Guardians, particularly in 5th ed. The one reservation I had about them in 4th is that you really needed your Warlock to help them get that cover save. In 5th, however, cover is abundant and potent so you are very likely to do well without Conceal, which brings the cost of the unit down considerably. If you attach a Farseer, you have access to Guide and Fortune which makes them both hard to kill but rather lethal to opponents... and the Farseer's leadership makes them hard to scare off. What's particularly nice with Defender Guardians is that, when an enemy comes close, a Guided squad of 10 Guardians can not only shoot the foe with a heavy weapon, but also with 20 shots of S4 Shuriken Catapult fire with a re-rollable BS3. Should a Dreadnought or tank get too close, the Farseer can detatch, fleet, and stick a Witchblade in its gob. Let's not forget that a little fleet of foot action in the last few turns can get them holding an objective, as they're troops through and through.

Are they perfect? Hell no. Are they indestructible? Hell no. Can they handle anything? Hell no. Are they great for the points? ...absofreakinlutely.

Guardians are NOT cheap, cheap, cheap.

Yes they are. Boyz are just cheaper.

cailus
10-11-2008, 00:58
I find they play a similar role to that of Grots - a cheap squad that won't do much, but your opponent won't want to waste any real effort getting rid of them.

Only problem with Grots is that boyz are nearly just as cheap only with T4 and range 18 S4 Assault 2 guns.

Inquisitor Engel
10-11-2008, 01:02
My 15 DEFENDER Guardians that killed a whole squad of Chaos Terminators in one turn say Guardians do not suck. ;)

One turn of shooting and one turn of assault, killed three in shooting (30 Str 5 shots will do that) then two in assault before they have a chance to attack back. ;)

Eryx_UK
10-11-2008, 01:06
Theres two Eldar players among my local group, one swears by Guardians and the other hates them prefering to pay for Dire Avengers.

Khorne warrior
10-11-2008, 01:17
I personally like Dire Avengers WAY more, but I can still see the uses of Guardians. Guardians are much cheaper (8 pts vs. 12 for DA), and they can take certain weapons platforms which are amazing (I like the D-cannon but I hear that it is very inaccurate).

Lord Caldera
10-11-2008, 01:19
Probably not the group of guys you want to charge a unit of Khorne Berserkers.
I love my Berzerkers when they kill Eldar scum...

Anyways, Guardians are a huge hassle to move. The warlock gives them staying power despite their weakness and the assault heavy weapon is a major bonus. A guy at mt club runs 2 large squads of them and they can certainly hold their own on an objective. Shruiken catapults are wonderful for short-ranged firefights, and with the platform they have some decent shooty mobility. Took down half a squad of Wolf Guard Termies and harassed some Necrons for three turns last game they played before getting shredded by Ragnar Blackmane.

ehlijen
10-11-2008, 01:22
Put 10 guardians with a scatter laser into a wave serpent and drop them in some vehicles flank.
Take 20 with a WL with embolden and have them squat on the objective.
Take 20 storm guardians with a WL with enhance and even orks will be careful around you.
Take 11 with 2 flamers and a WL with destructor and put them in a WS. Toasty, toasty.

There is plenty of things the guardians can do that few others can do in the eldar list. At least while being that cheap (and yes, 8 points is still cheap for their options and capabilities) and still a troops choice.

DAs can only really do one thing: bullet spam followed by tarpitting. They don't have the options to deal with a wide variaty of targets.
Rangers are similar, excpet they die even faster without support from other units.
Jetbikes have speed, some resilience, but not much else.

Enter the guardians: A troop squad that is almost as versatile in its options as tactical marines. And that is unique in the eldar list outside of vehicles.

Tsear
10-11-2008, 02:05
I use a unit of guardians as an objective holder in my mech list. They start in reserve and hopefully come on as late as possible, at which point they run onto an objective and go to ground for the rest of the game. It's been working out so far.

Orbital102
10-11-2008, 02:37
The important thing isn't whether Guardians are better or worse than Dire Avengers (or whatever troop choice you like). You win regardless of which you choose because they're both great and the both have their own "thing" that they bring to the game.

I like to take Guardians *and* Dire Avengers! In the same list! It's crazy! :)

Starchild
10-11-2008, 02:44
That being said, Guardians are still a bunch of T3 guys with a 5+ save, a single attack and Ld 8. Probably not the group of guys you want to charge a unit of Khorne Berserkers.

That's funny, because I've done just that, and wiped out two squads of Berserkers.

Guardians have value only in how they can help the rest of the army. They make a great unit to match up with a Wraithlord. The Wraithlord takes on the vehicles and the monstrous creatures, while the Guardians help the Wraithlord with horde units. Too, the Warlock prevents wraithsight.

I always take a unit of 14 Guardians with a Warlock. If I'm playing a smaller game, I take a cheap Autarch as my HQ and attach him to the Guardian squad. His LD10 keeps them from running away, and if they get assaulted, he can take down most other troops. Enhance helps with that... (In the case of the Berserkers, the Autarch was the one who was hacking them down. This was under Chaos 3.5 where the Berserkers had Rage, so I got to catch them with shuriken fire between assaults.)

Enter the guardians: A troop squad that is almost as versatile in its options as tactical marines. And that is unique in the eldar list outside of vehicles.
Yes, and the Warlock can even take out vehicles very well, since all assaults vs. vehicles w/ no WS hit the rear armour. Versatility is something Eldar really benefit from. I think Eldar players will appreciate Guardians a lot more when IG see a resurgence next year. Oh, and Fortune on Concealed guardians is a great way to waste your opponent's firepower. ;)

MrGiggles
10-11-2008, 03:43
That's funny, because I've done just that, and wiped out two squads of Berserkers.

Dude, that's just cool!

ShadowDeth
10-11-2008, 07:11
So am I.

-Cheap
-Cheap
-Cheap

The lord here has it. To me, I classify them as "weenie" troops. As such, they are bad at close combat, moderately bad at shooting without psychic power aid, and you get a lot of them for little points.

Weenie troops to me mean a few things:

*Get a lot of them. Your codex throws you a bone by offering troops that are like 7 points each. At that point cost, it doesn't matter what their armor save is, their damage output or their toughness is. You have a lot of them and they most likely hug cover or some other means to gain a save. (Conveniently, Conceal seems to be included in the eldar codex...)

*They do very little to influence the battlefield against beefier enemies, but you have a lot of them. And they are cheap.

*They are cheap. You get what you pay for.

*In cover, or concealed, they hold up quite well to the point it's not cost effective to shoot bolters at them, and you laugh when someone drops ordnance on them - instead of something else worth shooting. They roll over to flamers, but so do every other weenie troop in the game. No big deal.

*Against another good general, they will be ignored. You have to use that to your advantage. March them around like they own the place, and sometimes they will kill a marine or something. Regardless, They add where they can you just can't expect them to be spearheading your assaults or shooting sprees.

*They are pretty cheap. (I dug out my codex at this point.) 8 points for 3 toughness and a 5+ save is about par for 40k. Conceal seems like the choice power for their psyker.

*Hey, they are initiative 4. They will simul most everything in the game, and beat up guard and tau. That's cool, I think. Right?

*They are still pretty cheap. In an age where you get 2:1 versus MEQ's, it's pretty useful to have double the body count most armies have. If you fortify their leadship (the problem with any weenie unit), it comes down to watching your opponent roll 2's and 1's to wound and laughing. Meanwhile, you hold objectives or something.

Anyways, the moral of the story is of course they aren't monsters in combat, but they have their uses. I would say generally as reinforcements or backline support/objective holding.

Bob5000
10-11-2008, 08:37
As mentioned , the abundance of cover makes the extra points spent on a Concealing Warlock not worth it IMO .
I now take a larger unit of Guardians , though at first with the new Eldar Codex I wondered at their usefulness ( no BS4 Ulthwe black Guardian squads with 3 shot Starcannons ) but since 5th ed I have brought them back in .

Sit in cover on an objective , have an Avatar nearby if need be to make them fearless ,
and they are not shifting easy . Taking pot shots with a Scatter laser ( Starcannons dropped in favour of higher rate of fire ) and when the enemy gets too close , unleash all those shuriken shots .

They certainly have their use in 5th Ed, and are in no way in the ' useless ' category , though the Storm Guardian variety might be close

Lord Damocles
10-11-2008, 10:09
They certainly have their use in 5th Ed, and are in no way in the ' useless ' category , though the Storm Guardian variety might be close
92 points for 10 with 2 Fusion Guns. What does it really matter if they do nothing but sit on an objective in your deployment zone all game?

Grimtuff
10-11-2008, 10:16
My 15 DEFENDER Guardians that killed a whole squad of Chaos Terminators in one turn say Guardians do not suck. ;)

One turn of shooting and one turn of assault, killed three in shooting (30 Str 5 shots will do that) then two in assault before they have a chance to attack back. ;)

Shuriken Catapults are S4 :p.

Also, to the OP. Put some spaces between yoor words. Also there are more grammatical symbols than commas, full stops are good too. I could barely read that post. ;)

Kriegschmidt
10-11-2008, 10:21
Useless? Not at all. I find them very useful for target practise.

That aside, I think any Eldar unit is only effective in concert with the rest of the army. Guardians are an excellent example - they'll deliver a nasty punch to an enemy unit in preparation for someone else assaulting it. Or with the Farseer wrapping them in protective witchcraft they can hold objectives well. Also you can have large squads of them, which kind of hints at them being able to hold up enemy units while the rest of your army is manoeuvring.

Actually, this is all nonsense. They're the hidden sucker punch of the Eldar army. Being harpists, luthiers, accountants, etc, guardians are deployed so that your enemy will not want to shoot at them because they're "just normal folks", conscripted into the army. They're the 41st Milennium's answer to: "You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you...?" :D

Kahadras
10-11-2008, 10:22
Guardians are a great holding unit IMO. Stick them on an objective in your deployment zone (preferably in decent cover) and go and use the rest of your army to go and win the game. While not being awesome Guardians aren't totaly useless but in 5th ed they are looking increasingly overpriced for what they can do. Orks are tougher, better in combat, have more heavy weapons, have a better gun, are fearless when in big mobs and are cheaper.

:(

Kahadras

Doomseer
10-11-2008, 10:45
As has been mentioned already, its a question of balance and Guardians have their place and uses within many army builds.

Love them or hate them they are by no means useless!

Bob5000
10-11-2008, 13:12
92 points for 10 with 2 Fusion Guns. What does it really matter if they do nothing but sit on an objective in your deployment zone all game?

They arent contributing any long range shooting

Bob5000
10-11-2008, 13:20
Orks are tougher, better in combat, have more heavy weapons, have a better gun, are fearless when in big mobs and are cheaper.

:(

Kahadras

Unfortunately , my Eldar Codex wont let me take Orks....;)

In my last game V Orks , a sizeable mob had a very nasty surprise when they got close and my unit of guardians wiped them out due to the sheer weight of firepower .
Its happened the other way too , when a mob has cleaved through a unit of guardians like a hot knife through butter .

Kahadras
10-11-2008, 14:51
In my last game V Orks , a sizeable mob had a very nasty surprise when they got close and my unit of guardians wiped them out due to the sheer weight of firepower .
Its happened the other way too , when a mob has cleaved through a unit of guardians like a hot knife through butter .

Problem is though the latter is going to happen far more oftern than the former. Most of the time Guardian squads will just fall apart against the amount of strength 4/5 shots an Ork shooty unit can throw out. Really Guardians could do with a serious drop in cost in the next Eldar codex or be improved to the point at which they don't appear to be a total waste of points.

Kahadras

Dis_Pater
10-11-2008, 15:00
I have been toying with the idea of a sizeable group of storm guardians being led by Maugan Ra and a warlock with enhance either on foot or in a serpent. Two flamer templates and 28 attacks at I5 just by them would ruin anyone's day. And then you add Maugan Ra and the warlock in the picture you should be able to break most units out there!:D

incarna
10-11-2008, 15:42
Guardians definitely have their uses. The trick, in my opinion is to not think of them as “core” units which can be difficult because they are one of the troops you’ll likely be considering to fill your compulsory slots.

The Guardian’s roll, in my mind, is as an army band aid.

If your Fire Dragons get wiped or get bogged down before they have a chance to destroy an opposing vehicle causing trouble for you – your Storm Guardians with fusion guns and spear wielding Warlcok can do it – but not as well as the Fire Dragons could have.

If your Scorpions, Banshees, or Harlequins get wiped or bogged down before they are able to engage that enemy unit that just HAS to die in close combat – your Storm Guardians with flamers and witchblade wielding Warlock can do it – but not as well as the Scorpions, Banshees, or Harlequins could have.

If your Dire Avengers or Warp Spiders get wiped or bogged down before they are able to shoot apart that enemy unit that just HAS to die in shooting – Your Guardian Defenders with Shuriken Cannon, Scatter Laser, or Starcannon weapons platform can do it – but not as well as your Dire Avengers or Warp Spiders could have.

If your Fire Prism, Wraithlord, Falcon, Viper, War Walker, Rangers, or Dark Reapers get destroyed and are no longer able to deliver long range fire support – your Guardain Defenders with Starcannon, Brightlance, or Missile Launcher can do it – but not as well as your Fire Prism, Wraithlord, Falcon, Viper, War Walker, Rangers, or Dark reapers could have.

You get the idea. It is possible to build an army around Guardians but that usually necessitates taking a huge number of them and turning your Eldar army into a hoard army. I find that the Guardians are best employed in a capacity where they support another part of your army that’s bucking.

Orbital102
10-11-2008, 15:46

Quoted for awesome.

Lord Inquisitor
10-11-2008, 15:47
I've seen them used as a core unit. I've seen a list with six units of guardians win tounraments. Coupled with an Avatar to make them Fearless and Eldrad to make the Avatar unkillable, that's six heavy weapons with 60 ablative wounds that are scoring to the last man and if you make the mistake of coming within 12" they can pour out enough firepower to waste anything.

I know, they don't look like much on paper, but that sort of list can really work.

incarna
10-11-2008, 15:57
Problem is though the latter is going to happen far more oftern than the former. Most of the time Guardian squads will just fall apart against the amount of strength 4/5 shots an Ork shooty unit can throw out. Really Guardians could do with a serious drop in cost in the next Eldar codex or be improved to the point at which they don't appear to be a total waste of points.

Kahadras

I agree completely. I believe that a drop in point cost would bring the Guardians more in line with their roll on the tabletop. I could EVEN live with their point cost remaining the same (to reflect the fact that Eldar are a dying race and wouldn’t likely field a force of 100+ Guardians) if the following were to happen instead.

Their weapons platforms were reduced in cost SIGNIFICANTLY. This would make guardians a cheep way to field heavy weapons – but at a cost – the cost of the guardian squad itself.

They could field 2 or possibly 3 weapons platforms. This would represent the Eldar’s thoughts that – ‘hey, maybe we should give our BASIC CIVILIANS who are helping us in this conflict a little teeth’.

The ability to purchase a Shimershield for the squad bestowing a 5+ inv save in CC.

If the Warlcok powers of Enhance and Embolden were rolled together into the same power giving Storm Guardians a CC kick AND a little more staying power – but dependant on the costly purchase of a Warlock.

But I do agree – while I do LIKE guardians, they are not a value choice for me when building an Eldar army. In this new era of 40k they need some tweaking before I consider them as anything but a costly buttress system to other components of my army.

incarna
10-11-2008, 16:04
I've seen them used as a core unit. I've seen a list with six units of guardians win tounraments. Coupled with an Avatar to make them Fearless and Eldrad to make the Avatar unkillable, that's six heavy weapons with 60 ablative wounds that are scoring to the last man and if you make the mistake of coming within 12" they can pour out enough firepower to waste anything.

I know, they don't look like much on paper, but that sort of list can really work.

I have ALWAYS held the theory that a horde guardian army would be incredibly effective… I think, however, that that style of army would be vulnerable to TRUE horde armies like Orks, Guard, and Nids who can purchase models of arguably similar strength at a lower cost… and any army with components designed to deal with true hoard armies who are equipped to deal with even MORE models than you’re able to field due to the point cost of the guardians – not to mention the Warlock and weapons platform which can get really expensive.

Fist of Crimson
10-11-2008, 17:59
Making the attached warlock and the powers that go with it a little cheaper wouldn't hurt.

Warlocks are reasonably costed as a seer council, but a little expensive for my taste as a squad upgrade for guardians. Conceal should definately come down a bit with all the 5th ed cover saves around now. It is almost redundent.

DarkstarSabre
10-11-2008, 19:55
Guardians are NOT cheap, cheap, cheap. 8 points is not cheap anymore. Compare a guardian to an ork at 6 points or even one of the upcoming guardsmen (4 points?) and you'll see what cheap really is.

Would a more accurate statement have been 'Cheaper than anything else in the Eldar army'?

Sure...compared to Orks and IG they're not cheap. Because...you know...Orks and IG are horde armies compared to the Eldar's specialist army.

Seriously.

Comparing Eldar to Orks and IG is like comparing a duck to a fish.

DarkstarSabre
10-11-2008, 20:00

Psst. Your Orks are called Striking Scorpions!

They're green! The have choppas! They hit hard like Orks! And they have dakka on their faces!

Irisado
10-11-2008, 20:15
Guardians are definitely not useless.

They are the support infantry of the Eldar army. I usually take two squads of Guardian Defenders with Scatter Lasers, and give them the role of giving anti-infantry supporting fire to my other units which need to get up close and personal with the enemy.

Entrenched Guardians can also be quite hard to shift, especially if you have a counter assault unit nearby to discourage enemy assault troops from attacking their position.

While Eldar armies can function without Guardians, I feel that they function better with them, since they are a unit which can afford to buy in larger numbers, and that supporting fire is invaluable when you need to make some inroads into enemy infantry.

To the original poster, there are more details on Guardians in the Eldar Guide (link is available in my signature) which you may find helpful.

Johnnyfrej
10-11-2008, 20:51
Definately not useless.

My pal Miles uses a really dastardly trick(though calling Eldar dastardly is like beating a dead horse, redundant) with his Guardians. He will use 2-4 big squads of Guardians (15-20) with support weapons and Warlocks then slab an Avatar in the middle. Now he has an objective holding meatshield of about 30+ wounds that are fearless and probably getting a cover save. Oh, not to mention his Swooping Hawks, Jetbikes Falcons and all the other hi-speed Eldar shinanigans are running the flanks and hitting you where you hurt.

totgeboren
10-11-2008, 20:51
When I play my IG, half of my squads are light infantry armed with only lasguns and a flamer. These squads advance alot, seldom standing still and shooting with their lasguns over 12", since they generally don't do any damage at that range anyway.

But when two squads team up one one enemy squad, both within 12", that squad suffers big time.

Eldar Guardians got about the same profile, but massively better guns. I would gladly pay 2 pts more per model to get those shuriken catapults instead of lasguns.

I just don't understand why people say they are crap? Use them aggressively and they will pay their points back big time.

Or use them as cannon fodder, forcing your opponent to assault them, then kill that assaultsquad with your aspect warriors.
Sacrificial units like this are indispensable (hehe, oxymoron) for any counter-assault tactic.

But I think they would work better as a "tactical" basic Eldar unit, advancing and contesting objectives. That leaves the Aspect Warriors free to do what they do best (kill enemies, not babysit objectives).

Qualdinesh
10-11-2008, 21:21
I LOVE GUARDIANS!!

my guardian defenders are a blast to use when you run them in and guide them. Or use the storm guardians as meat shields for my banshee :)

20 + group holding an objective in cover, they go to ground, add Embolden and they can be hard to get rid of when shooting at them.