PDA

View Full Version : Tale of Warmachine Painters - Cryx and others

daemonkin
08-12-2008, 09:54
Hi guys. Hopefully the post says it all. I recently contacted Durek on these boards as we were both interested in starting Cryx for Warmachine. We live on different continents but won't let that stop us from enjoying a team-up blog of our endeavours.

I suggested this log to help motivate us to get our battle boxes painted up. With no one else in my club playing Warmachine it was up to me to initiate proceedings and now we have 3 others all doing the other 3 factions. Hurrah.

So, after using arcaneminiates.co.uk (http://www.arcaneminiates.co.uk) to get my Cryx with free delivery I sat down to think up a colour scheme.

I liked some of the models on CMON that use bone a lot so I want that to feature heavily. I also liked the Mike McVey painting of Lord Terminus on Brush Thralls. He uses verdigris to good effect, using matte medium a lot to get the glazes. Having never tried that I thought i would use this as a chance to experiment.

So, models built and primed. I thought I would use my GW spraygun to lay down a base of tin bitz to get a nice even coverage to work from. I used Blu Tack to cover the bits that would be bone-y:

http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0089.JPG

And then...DISASTER! The paint came out in big horrible globules, covering all my nicely painted (and pricey) models in lumpy goo. Was it my air cans? The paints too thick? The primer? The cold?

Who knows? Maybe GW built in a system that can detect when you are not spraying GW models and then ******* it up on you. Evil B*****ds! :wtf:

Thankfully as it was so cold the paint had not dried so i rushed them under a tap and a stiff toothbrush removed most of the offending globs. Thanks GW.

I then thought I had better get a smooth coat of Tin Bitz over these models and used Vallejo matte medium to cut the tin bitz and applied. The results were great:

http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0104.JPG

I am going to try and keep a record of all the paints i have used so that others can benefit from my experiences if it helps any.

Next up: a wash to begin the verdigris effect. Mike McVey used Turquoise ink with Brown Ink and matte medium. I have no turquoise ink and was damned if i was going to wait and do nothing until I got it. So I used Vallejo Falcon turquoise instead with more brown ink and matte medium to create a grey/brown/green mix that looked bad but after it dried gave a lovely beginning to the verdigris. Nice one Mike!

http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0113.JPG

The slayer was given a wash of Badab Black before applying the verdigris.

So that's where I am at the minute. 5 bone jacks and a hell jack started. I will leave Deneghra to last as I have not decided on her scheme yet.
I will try my best in this log to do little to know drybrushing, just using inks and washes to achieve the results seen.
PS: Sorry for the crap pics. Was in a hurry.

Durek: feel free to jump in and post anytime.

For more pics please check out: My Cryx (http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/category/10)

Suggestions, C&C welcome.

D.

dancingmonkey
08-12-2008, 09:58
Good to see some more Cryx loving on the boards (oh dear, sounds nasty...)

Looks like a great start to the force. Rusty/corroded jacks are always great in Cryx land... Glad you managed to recover the spray issue. It's always a drag when you have to strip models straight after assembly/spray. It really puts a downer on a project.

Have fun with Denny too, I picked her up first, and have struggled with every other Cryx caster since. She's just too good compared to the others.

Pick up some Bile Thralls and two Pistol Wraiths and you are away.

regards.

Jon.

daemonkin
08-12-2008, 10:15
DM: Thanks for that. Lovin the Denny model. I am going with models that I like rather than their effectiveness. So bile thralls are out (unless they grow on me). I will add in a Reaper and a Seether, Canker eventually and some mechanithralls or Satysix(sp)

D.

daemonkin
08-12-2008, 10:55
2 more pics from yesterday:

http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0121.JPG
http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0123.JPG

Close ups on the results achieved just by washing/glazing over tin bitz.

D.

rickie8437
08-12-2008, 16:08
looking good there Bob

if you want i could post my WM here as well :)

you got to love that GW spary gun lol

dancingmonkey
08-12-2008, 17:00
DM: Thanks for that. Lovin the Denny model. I am going with models that I like rather than their effectiveness. So bile thralls are out (unless they grow on me). I will add in a Reaper and a Seether, Canker eventually and some mechanithralls or Satysix(sp)

D.

but but but... who wouldn't want fat arsed little babies that vomit their foes to death? The models are great :)

I know what you mean about not taking models you don't visually like. I only work on army lists that are thematically linked, hence Denny and the Zombies, Goreshade and the Wraiths and Skarre and the pirates. Not every list needs the Deathjack and twenty Bane Knights to be cool...

My missus also subscribes to the model look issue, hence an army of only the Old Witch and a bunch of Man O Wars, she doesn't like things like the Widowmakers or Man Hunters, despite their ace-ness, so I appreciate your decision.

Keep up the good work sir.

Regards.

Jon.

Durek
15-12-2008, 14:27
Well, I will be posting a pic or 2 this afternoon (hopefuly). Im still trying to get a coulouring scheme. The 2 current I have tried ended up too black and my verdigris didnty work out like it usualy does on other models I've done in the past.

Glad to hear your glob issue was fixable. My can of sealer 1/2 used is now suddenly spitting out instead of a smooth finish....:mad:....found out the hard way.

Well at least my Nids are coming along with no problem.

Durek
15-12-2008, 15:32
Well... will the gods ever stop conspiring against me?:evilgrin:

Had a longer explanation of what paints layers were used but we have a big storm up here and it knocked the power out mid post...:cries:

So here is a shorter but no less frustrated recap LoL

I have a fuzzy pic of the half done mini, because my webcam won’t focus. Why use a webcam in this day and age you say; doesn’t everyone own a digital camera? The answer is yes I do...but it was kidnapped by my fiancée who needed it for school which is out of town. (I only recently discovered this act of pure evil) :D

Second I can’t finish the model with he colour I want as I ran out of the paint as friends stopped by for a painting party and the local store is closed today:mad:

So early apologies for the pic and I will try to mount a rescue attempt on my cam and get the right paints ASAP.

Durek
19-12-2008, 15:28
Without further ado here is my bone jack (test peice). In full colour and Focus :D
Not sure if there is too much copper on him. I may touch up the circled (3rd pic) section with boltgun metal rather than copper....

Well; Merry Christmas to all of you. I hope to get more painting done over the next few weeks and post, but I may not.

I appreciate all comments, but may not follow up on all suggestions. ;)

Thank you for reading this infant thread and giving us your thoughts, feeling and encouragement be they through the thread or PMs.

Take Care

Durek
21-12-2008, 22:23
Well a few spare hours of painting done. Got about 1/2 the basecoat down and a few green highlights ready for an ink wash. Decided to post as I may not have time to do so int he week to come.
Also you may notice I decided to tone down the copper to an... I have no clue what that colour is now: brass. Hopefuly it will come out better at the end.
The Cygnar Defender is 3/4 basecoated by my fiancee who decided she wants to try and paint. (Daemokin, hope you dont mind a couple of pics from her. LMK) Our mutual friend who hates painting volunteered his model for her to try. Not bad start for her 4th mini ever.
She is even considering starting a warband of her own and leaning towards Trollbloods because of their kilts and funny models.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays to all of you from our little gaming group in Northern Ontario.

daemonkin
22-12-2008, 08:29
Durek: The green is looking well on those jacks. The jacks are all looking great. Mine I have had to put on the back burner due to work and other household disasters (bathroom replacement and engine failure in car!) but may get a chance to work some more on them over the holidays.

I have started to highlight up the brass/copper/verdigris and have even found turquoise ink to use for the last stages of the verdigris. Still have no colour scheme for Deneghra yet.

Will post pics later.

D.

Durek
04-01-2009, 22:58
Well now the holidays are past I finaly got finished the jacks from the starter box.
It didn't turn out quite the way I wanted, but overall I'm happy with them.
However; the sealer I used was sold to me as a matt but it is very shiny with the flash but only a little less in RL.

Started Deneghra; going with a purple/black theme

Durek
04-01-2009, 22:59
The final 2 pics are the finished product of my fiancee's first paiting attempt. She blended the blues well; but again the sealer interfered with final effect and it's 3 tones aren't as noticeable.

Durek
07-01-2009, 17:17
Well here are pics of Deneghra and the classic pistol wraith.

1st set are a half done wraith and the bubblegum pop singer Deneg.
Had a little chat with her regarding her wardrobe and she agreed to go a bit more goth. Watch for her debut on the next Iron Kingdome Idol.:p

Still having a difficult time getting the right colour scheme for my Cryx. Not my best work and I'm very frustrated but will continue to push on.
At least their getting done; which is more than I can say for my Confrontation minis.

Take care everyone.

Again your comments are always most welcome.

daemonkin
08-01-2009, 09:12
Great progress Durek.

I finally got a chance to take some pics last night.

Progress:
All jacks have had verdigris applied. This was the second application, this time using turquoise ink rather than paint. Mix of Turquoise, Brown and some matte medium to stop shine. This was applied to specific areas rather than the previous wash over most areas. I'm not entirely satisfied but it was my first trial of it so it will have to do. Maybe a watered wash of sepia will dull it down.

I have also applied some coats of Jack Bone to some jacks - Slayer, death ripper and a night wretch. The ripper and slayer have had a glaze of sepia and a wash of sepia. Another wash will be required and then I will highlight before glazing down again.

http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0128.JPG

http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0125.JPG

http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0126.JPG

More pics to be uploaded later.

D.

daemonkin
08-01-2009, 12:39
More pics:
http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0129.JPG

http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0127.JPG

http://www.voncarstein.co.uk/images/galleries/IMG_0130.JPG

Obviously still a lot of work to do but I am happy-ish about how these are coming along. Still have no idea on a colour scheme for Denny or whether to use the Cryx Bane Base and highlight P3 colours on the black areas.

D.

Durek
08-01-2009, 17:12
Glad to hear you got some time away from house repairs for some relaxation.:)
Nice job on the verdigris and bone effects. Look foward to seeing more D.

Got my Skarlock painted and I think thats it for a couple of weeks. Not sure but I think I will conitnue my Tyranids for a change of pace. Still have 60+ guants to do:cries:
Actualy its the 1st Cryx model I have done that I'm happy with.

daemonkin
08-01-2009, 19:15
Thanks Durek. Your skarlock is nicely done. From what i gather he is very useful to have around in a Denny list so I may have to pick one up at some point.

House repairs mostly done. Just need to get the house cleaned up and habitable now.

D.

Keravin
08-01-2009, 19:18
Nice to see some more Warmachine on the forums. Skarlocks are definitely worth getting.

Durek
11-01-2009, 10:15
Ya the skarlock will help any caster. IMO Goreshade would be helped the least but 16 pts is nothing for a free focus 3 spell.

And getting the alt Deneg pose while not cost effective will be better. It will be easier to get at the detail from what I have seen of a fellow Cryx player's. and although I like the flow of the cloth in the box Deneg the pose of the alt is more to my liking.

Chris_Tzeentch
15-02-2009, 10:29
Some nice stuff on here - keep up the good work!

daemonkin
16-02-2009, 12:39
Thanks Chris. Unfortunately my Cryx has gone on a back burner for a while til I get my Epic Luna Wolves sorted out. Should be easy to do and then back to painting bone.

D.

Durek
20-02-2009, 13:19
Thanks for the compliment. Hoping to get back to painting anything soon. Still haven't started my Nids like i was hoping:o