PDA

View Full Version : What’s your favorite 40k vehicle model?

Jonathan =I=
29-04-2005, 17:31
Please say why you chose what you did.

Inquisitor Engel
29-04-2005, 17:33
The Land Raider and Rhino are pretty awesome models, however I enjoy the Eldar Falcon and its variants greatly still. Something I hope never gets replaced. :)

Jonathan =I=
29-04-2005, 17:39
That was the fastest post ive ever seen Engel!

TheSonOfAbbadon
29-04-2005, 17:47
I just love the pre-heresey raider.

sigur
29-04-2005, 17:49
Hard to tell. I still like the Leman Russ, but also the Eldar vehicles as I like the new rhino, especially the SoB one...

I asume you put in the Monolith just for fun reasons, didn't you? ;)

Jonathan =I=
29-04-2005, 17:53
Hard to tell. I still like the Leman Russ, but also the Eldar vehicles as I like the new rhino, especially the SoB one...

I asume you put in the Monolith just for fun reasons, didn't you? ;)

LOL I would be surprised if that ugly lump of plastic gets one vote.
I voted for the land speeder myself. I think its the coolest and simplest model GW has ever done.

The Machine GoD
29-04-2005, 17:58
Mines not on there. Mines the titan.

Captain Brown
29-04-2005, 17:59
While I am a Guard and Sisters player most of the time and have more than a dozen Guard tanks, it is the Falcon model that I like the most. I have one and a couple of Forgeworld Wave Serpents and they just look like something out of the year 40,000.

Hortwerth
01-05-2005, 18:18
I'm making the Land Raider for the 9th time, so I think this speaks for itself.

Every next one is more detailed and takes more time to finish.

The 8th took me 7 months...

Lord Icklebum
01-05-2005, 18:21
I hold a special place in my heart for the old Russ. Old, boxy, and tough as nails! Especially if you start slapping on Forgeworld turrets, it just gets prettier and prettier.

I guess it's just the sentimental treadhead in me, but seeing my Russ blow away a Hammerhead with that main cannon brings a certainty that there is no other 40k vehicle for me. As mean as it looks, and twice as fun to field.

Antaeus
01-05-2005, 18:58
Rhino variants: more specifically, the (new)Baal Predator (with the Destructor an unbelievably close second). That Assault cannon turret is gorgeous.

Opus T. Penguin
01-05-2005, 19:06
I voted Land Raider, just because the really old ones were so preposterous (and the new ones are really well done).

However, my choice wasn't listed -- though simplistic, the dreadnoughts (especially the Forge World chaos variants) are quite nice.

Eversor
01-05-2005, 20:30
For non-tanks I'd go with dreadnoughts too. For tanks, it's definitely chaos predators ;) And whirlwinds...

Robot 2000
01-05-2005, 20:45
The Leman Russ. Simple, effective, impressive, fun.

Inflammable
01-05-2005, 20:58
The falcon is very cool though the devilfish is a close second.

mattjgilbert
01-05-2005, 21:25
Rhino and variants for me. They just look cool in whatever guise they come in. Especially with the forgeworld doors, icons etc.

Ass Goblin
02-05-2005, 00:30
Rhino and it's friends. Painted right they always look more classy than any IG tank. While not as sexy as the Eldar tanks they have a place in my heart.

Shadowheart
02-05-2005, 02:11
The Leman Russ, the image of a tank that's already outdated in the real world riding across a futuristic battlefield supports the whole feel of the Imperial Guard. Only by human determination, courage and expendability can they ever hope to win a battle. When I see a Leman Russ tank, I can just imagine the crew that live in it and take care of it, it's a characterful tank.

That said, I see great potential in a new version of the Dark Eldar Raider sometime in the future. I like the idea, but as with the rest of the DE line the execution was lacking (and it was a pain to transport). With the advancement they've made in casting technology and miniature design since then though, it could be terrific (and highly customisable).

Adept
02-05-2005, 03:14
Rhino and it's friends. Painted right they always look more classy than any IG tank. While not as sexy as the Eldar tanks they have a place in my heart.

I have to disagree. Rhinos and variants, when painted right, look more sleek than their IG counterparts. The IG tanks and transports look like what they are - solid, nearly indestructible, slow and ponderous, and lacking anything even remotely resembling subtelty. Big, loud, and with even bigger and louder guns.

I love 'em.

Wolflord Bloodangel
02-05-2005, 03:28
Definately the rhino variants. The Predator Destructor is a god amongst men. And those Whirlwinds and Vindicators (from FW) arent too shabby either. It just looks like such a useful tank...

The Eldar vehicles come a very very very close second. Ive got some Falcons and Vypers lying around just because I love the model, and the newest FW super heavy Eldar tank is just beyond impressive.

Paradox
02-05-2005, 05:43
As an IG player it pains me to say it but honestly how can you go past the Falcon?

AngelofSorrow
02-05-2005, 05:49
I love Leman Russ the rugged WW2 look its just awesome especially the Demolisher

hallon_apl
02-05-2005, 09:29
o_O I was the first to vote for the Vyper?
It's so beautiful! and fragile! :)

Scythe
02-05-2005, 10:00
To be a little different, I really like the devilfish / hammerhead. Solid, fluid skimmers with a certain aquatic theme to them, brilliant. Of course, the eldar falcon also looks rather nice, while I also quite like the leman russ (strangely IG is the only army I play of these 3 ;)).

salty
02-05-2005, 10:35
I was torn between the Leman Russ variants and teh Rhino ones, but in the end I went Rhino...

Where are the Ork buggies on that list!?! ;)

Salty :)

Brush your teeth
02-05-2005, 10:45
:mad: :mad: :mad:

why are there no ork vehicles

Wiseman
02-05-2005, 10:58
i like the landspeeder and the land raider, chose the land raider though.
wow the monolith has 2 votes, isnt that one of the signs of armageddon?

salty
02-05-2005, 10:59

Probably because they are all:

a) looted
b) crap Gorkamorka/2nd Edition ones

Salty :)

P.S. I am an Ork player.

Scythe
02-05-2005, 11:40

You're not telling me you seriously wanted to vote for the ork warbuggy or wartruk, right?

;)

scottb
02-05-2005, 14:52
Hmmm, have to vote for the Land Raider, just like the armoured brick look heh.

sigur
02-05-2005, 15:07
I have to say that I quite like the Warbuggy.

StugMeister
02-05-2005, 15:19
I like the Tau vehicles based on the Devilfish chassis - I think they look great!

Scabby
02-05-2005, 17:50
Most of the eldar vehicles should win but the vyper is simply the best. A relatively old design and still gorgeous!

The boyz
02-05-2005, 17:50
The hammer of the Imperial Guard, Leman Russ and variants for me.

2_heads_talking
02-05-2005, 19:11
It would have to be the Eldar Vyper or the 2nd Edition land speeder (I despise the new land speeder model with a passion, it just looks so s***.... ARGH!)

The Vyper because I bought the White Dwarf that first featured them and I thought they were just beautiful models, plus I really liked the image of them in that issue's battle report, skimming alongside the jetbikes as they screamed in towards the Space Marine firebase..... ah those were the days....

The 2nd ed. land speeder because I always thought it suited the space marines; it also looked just like I imagined 40k Imperial anti-grav technology to be like in that it was chunky and looked as though its builders didn't really understand how it worked. Also I loved the space marine gunner holding his bolt pistol.

EDIT: Vyper wins out

EDIT 2: And I went and clicked the bloody Falcon, didn't I? D'oh!

Hideous Loon
02-05-2005, 19:26
I voted for teh Falcon (and variants). It looks as if it has been thought up in the 41st millennium, more so than Imperial tanksies. And big, anti-grav chunks of plasteel driven by Elves appeal greatly to me.

I also wonder why Ork vehicles have been left out. It could be that either, most Ork tanks are Looted, or the modeller has converted the crap out of them.

Negafex
02-05-2005, 20:16
i think the defiler needs to be on there because it is the coolest looking 40k vehicle imo although i think it would be neat to see steam tanks in 40k .............go steam power

mostholycerebus
02-05-2005, 23:16
The Leman Russ looks good, but is definitely one of the older models. It lacks alot of the detail, design, and extras of the newer kits.

For modeling and looks, there are 3 for me: Defiler, Land Raider and Rhino. All three have outstanding detail, with lots of opportunity for personalization and modification. LR and Rhino have those nice interiors, which promote further mods like opening hatches, but the Defiler has a krap-ton of detail and add-ons. In all, I think I like the Land Raider the best. It has the most detailed interior, and looks great from the outside, as well as being an intimidating model on the battle-field. If only GW would drop the cost 10-20 points :p

Artemis_Quinn
03-05-2005, 01:35
I have to say monolith out of those choices just because a giant floating pyramid that shoots everything within proximity is really really cool.

I find it odd however that you didn't mention the defiler in your choices. I love the whole concept of it just because a giant possessed deamon vehicle is just plain sweet, and the boxed set allows for a lot of conversion. I'm stating a LatD list for my first 40K army based around skaven models and I've converted a defiler to look a lot like a rat :p . It's one of the vehicles with the most adaptation available to your tastes as a player. But that's just me.

clarkdobbs112
03-05-2005, 01:44
so the carnifex isn't an option, then? properly converted, it looks sweet (and I mean either version, so long as you do something about their god-awful heads).

It's the bug's best attempt at a tank...

:0)
03-05-2005, 01:51
I love the old Predator with the rounded turret.

Jonathan =I=
03-05-2005, 04:07
Unfortunately I can only have 10 otions on a poll so I had to leave some things out.

1. Orcs (Gorkamorka models dont count)

2. Dreads (Imperial and orc) I like the dread second most but its a walker.

3. Defiler (Its also a walker)

oatish
03-05-2005, 04:31
The Chimera and Leman Russ tanks inspire such awesome smoke-belching imagery they are the best. The Monolith also rocks due to it being a Robot tank!!!

oatish

Morgan Keyes
03-05-2005, 04:41
Devilfish, Hammerhead, and their kin.

I just really like the tech look and they cry out "maneuver war".

03-05-2005, 05:29
The Falcon is an incredibly good looking model. Its sleek and menacing, and is definately one of the more powerful and intimidating tanks in the game.

Davefromhull
03-05-2005, 08:02
Land Raider, its just awesome and scares the cack out of most people!

Lion El Jason
03-05-2005, 08:53
I'm making the Land Raider kit for the 9th time, so I think I'll be voting for it.
I've made 2 Prometheus, 1 Crusader, 3 regular, 1 MKIIb and 2 MKIs (But I wouldn't vote for them...)
The 8th one (A Prometheus) took me 7 months to do but Ive got the latest (MKIIb) done in a couple of weeks.

The Falcon kit, more than any other defines the race that uses it... It just screams eldar and its unlikely to be replaced any time soon since they just did the WS.

Sai-Lauren
03-05-2005, 16:28
Make it an easy question, why don't you? ;)

On sheer looks, I think it's got to be the Falcon.

2nd place, (and swapping into epic and a bit of scratch building) the original version of the whirlwind with the box launcher.

3rd is a toss-up between the Marauder Destroyer, Vulture and Shadowsword from ForgeWorld.

Flame Boy
03-05-2005, 16:32
I voted for the Falcon and it's kin because I remember seeing it at Games Day and almost wetting myself with excitement. It's sleek and curvy, but with some sinister-looking pointy bits, and the weapon system for the Fire Prism is huge and intimidating...

In 2nd edition it was a beast, with a top speed of about 30", a Pulse Laser firing 60", there wasn't really anywhere it couldn't hit, and Eldar could actually hit things back then....

However, my top 3 Non-FW vehicles would be...
1. Fire Prism Grav Tank
2. Whirlwind mobile artillery
3. Land Raider

My FW top 3 would be...
1. Eldar Revenant Scout Titan
2. Eldar Nightwing Interceptor
3. Manticore Missile Artillery

Forge World models are tough to pick between, as I love the Thunderbolt, the Baneblade, the Mar Pattern Warhound Titan, and I was tempted to go for the Bombard...

I don't think there are really any vehicles I really dislike... I'm not keep on the Dark Eldar floating shopping trolley designs, and the Orks need a good update, but I like most other tank designs (yes, even the Monolith. :P )

bigbauske
03-05-2005, 17:52
I prefer the chimera and Leman Russ varients, the look simple but tough, the fit the image of war in the 40th mil

Second I like the Preditor.

Finally with FW I love the Valkyre and Vultures followed buy the other LR varients

Gop
04-05-2005, 22:57
I like most of the models, but I think the Landspeeders are way cool. Flying in at awesome speed with a multimelta or assault cannon and blasting away. Of course in the actual game it often sucks with thin armour etc. But the model is awesome IMO. I'd love to have one in my garage :)

Sgt.Epoch
04-05-2005, 23:25
OMG people! Baneblade FTW!
That thing is just like the most ultimate tank in the game. You can imagine it, a ten thousand year old tank, rubling through the battlefiled, crushing walls and debris to dust. Missiles slew from its sloped hull leaving dents and potmarks from their detonations. Still it rolls on crushing enermy tanks under it's armoured tracks. Traitors, heritics and aliens all fleeing in terror from the massive behemoth as it fires it's mega-battlecannon destroying all in its path, leaving a trail of destruction.

How can you argue with:

Mega-Battlecannon + Co-axle Auto-cannon
3 Twin-Linked Heavy Bolters
2 x Lass-cannons
AND a Demolisher cannon AND it can fire ordinace and other weapons even when moving!

It is just death incarnate.

But as it's not on the list I voted for it's little brother, the good old Leman Russ. Uncontested for over 10,000 years. It's design so rugged and reliable that it still is a force to be reckoned with.
TBH I love all IG tanks, even the chimera when it looks like this.
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/imperialguard/painting/treadheads/p2/images/3qtr.jpg

The Judge
05-05-2005, 17:46
Tsk no Titans.

No Revenant Titans! Have to go for the Falcon!

Flame Boy
05-05-2005, 17:57
Tsk no Titans.

No Revenant Titans! Have to go for the Falcon!

That was silly.

Firstly, there was no rules at the beginning of the post stating that a Titan or Dreadnaught didn't constitute a "vehicle", and secondly, that wasn't even a vote, I voted for the Falcon chassis as my favourite overall. I even made a distinction between common GW kits and Forge World models in my hypothetical top three lists, so I've honestly got no idea why you are complaining. :rolleyes:

Minister
06-05-2005, 01:58
For a primary genus, the Chimera. Not only does it include the most realistic of the 40K IFVs, but also the most gonzo-uber death gun in 40K (the Bombard) andmy all-around favourate (the Basilisk).

For a single tank? The Exorcist. It's a bloody mobile shrine with a missile-launching organ! How 40K is that? A moving, armoured icon of the Imperial faith.

Getz
06-05-2005, 04:46
Well, I hate the basic Leman Russ, and although you can make it look pretty sweet by replacing just about all of it with FW parts, I'm going to have to disqualify that. I rather like the Chimera too.

However, the single most deadly and threatening looking hunk of steel and ceramite on the 40K battlefield is undoubtedly the Hammerhead Gunship, so that won my vote.

EmperorsChamp01
06-05-2005, 07:14
I Love the raider esecally the Crusader. Being a BT player it helps to know that i have a gun turret sitting around

DrumrbaxJ
06-05-2005, 07:43
I must say that I love the idea of the VIper. How mad ass would it be to hoon around in one of those babies? Imagine the feeling of speed and exhiliration you'd get. Unbelievable. I must say that the Monolith was second though. Very cool, what with the whole freak ass weird stuff going on. It's so mysterious and creepy. I love it.

greenskinned git
07-05-2005, 12:31
I can't help but love both my original RT land raider, and my ork trukks. Which to choose? I think they are so bad they are cool. I wish I could find more old LR's.

Delicious Soy
07-05-2005, 13:33
I'm going with the falcon, because it only takes a two bit paint job to make it look good.

hairyman
07-05-2005, 13:38
Falcon, every time

Frodo34x
07-05-2005, 17:50
What happened to walkers?

Jonathan =I=
07-05-2005, 19:22
I couldent fit them into the poll so I left all forge world and walker unit out.

Zechs
08-05-2005, 13:10
From the choices avialable it's the Rhino and its variants for their verstality, but my true favourite is the Space Marine Dreadnought!

neXus6
08-05-2005, 14:28
I'm another diehard IG Treadhead.

Yes the falcon is very nice, but the Russ is just so cool and "retro" for 40,999. Though it really does just win out for me through sheer number of variations.

boogle
08-05-2005, 15:16
the Chimera and its Variants, because i have really loved the lok of them since i 1st saw them (i like them that much i have about 37 of them)

de Selby
08-05-2005, 16:51
I voted devilfish, but looking at the poll options reminded me how boring I think most of the common 40k vehicles are. The rhino and land raider models bore me to tears.

The eldar and walker vehicles are mostly ok, mind you.

Khaos_Panzer
08-05-2005, 17:49
I chose the Leman Russ, because I'm a tank-fanatic... and they are the perfect prototype of a tank. nuff'said! :)