PDA

View Full Version : The Next Army Book? Anyone

Quetzl
01-05-2005, 19:46
Okey, I have been thinking on this for a long while, and seeing as the Lustria book has been unleashed yesterday; and with the nasty Wood Elf book in waiting the line up is pretty much settled till the end of the Summer.

But after this, it is a complete mystery, perhaps they might re-do particular books and rules along with brand spanking new models. Or maybe they will bring out models only for more Realms books, like Lustria focused on High Elves, Lizardmen and Skaven. Or maybe they might just bring out loads of new stuff to re enhance the old army books without actual army book rule changes. Or maybe they might expand the world, maybe creating new races for the darkest corners of the world, or maybe the might venture to the distant lands of Cathay!

But enough from me, this is a topic asking you what you think or at least what you would like to appear on the front of a new book.

Me myself would love to see the world expanded, as this would ad more variety. But my gut instinct says that old armies will get re-done in models and rules and maybe some new Realms books.

WELL, what do you think? :confused:

75hastings69
01-05-2005, 20:02
I would love to see Chaos Dwarves redone, especially with them increasingly appearing in the fluff recently (SoC, OK), but......

From a conversation i had with a chap in the know (whom i cannot name) there are to be no new army books before the next revision of WH.

After Lustria will be Wood Elves, as everyone probably already knows. After wood elves expect to see more plastics.....

Dwarves, and Dark Elves especially. They may even get their own book, similar to the lustria book in which either a historic battle (although i can't think of any large battle of Dwarves & Dark Elves, maybe someone else can??) or new war is to take place, the conversation took place some months ago now, and as we all now it takes a while from design process to production, so i wouldn't be surprised if some models haven't already been sculpted. This source is the same one who told me about plastic Rat Ogres months beforehand, and as the people who didn't beleive my posts on the old Portent about their existence can now see they are with us. So he is pretty reliable.

On another note work is in progress for more Forgeworld WH Scenery (including a Grail Chapel), there used to be a thread dedicated to this subject, and Wizzbanger always used to post some good info (where are you Wizz?).

But definately no new armies for the foreseable. I personally want to see CD and re-VAMPED VC plastics. Oh yeah, and new characters for the existing armies.

twisted_mentat
01-05-2005, 20:40
ACtaully, the War between High Elves and Dwarfs was started by Dark Elves dressing as High Elves....so theres a point...

But yes, i've heard that we'll probbaly be seeing more plastics now, and any books for FB will follow a revised Big Red Book.

I actaully heard that Both Witch Elves and Corsairs, along with plastic Cold one Knights, have been considered for dark elves...but thats about it...

Il Magno
01-05-2005, 21:04
In Italy on the GW forum, it was told that campaign books for dwarf versus night goblin (may be karak karaz?) followed by elf civil war could fill the gap before the new warhammer edition planned for september 2006.
Lots of plastic regiments for dwarfs and dark elf in order to sell battalion boxes.
I do not know if these rumors are true.

Leceaus
01-05-2005, 21:06
Aww.. They really should do two more books. Dogs of War and Chaos Dwarves, in that order. Then we can start to look for the next edition.

m1s1n
01-05-2005, 21:18
They have already stated numerous times that the Chaos Dwarves are not getting their own book. They have been shelved. If they get anything it will be a suppliment for an Allied Contingient--like Kislev. As for Dogs of War, we get a new list with most Compendiums/Annuals. I don't think there is need for a book.

Personally, I would like to see a book that more involved the elves. It seems that now would be a good time--especially with the re-introduction of Wood Elves. Who knows--War of the Beard would always be fun to see/read. Maybe we could get a definitive answer on the whole thing?

Stouty
01-05-2005, 21:21
The current DoW list is a bit poo but teh b honest it will dowith a few house rules (like alowing to have duplicate items)
CD as allies makes sence, i see them as sitting behind their massive brass walls and screeming at damned hob-gobs.

75hastings69
01-05-2005, 21:41
ACtaully, the War between High Elves and Dwarfs was started by Dark Elves dressing as High Elves....so theres a point..

Thanks for clearing that up. So i could be remembering my conversation correctly, the book could be a historic battle between Dwarves and Dark Elves. I am 99% sure that he said the next plastics would be Dwarves & DE so that could indeed tie the two together as Lustria has with Lizardmen & Skaven (& HE).

They have already stated numerous times that the Chaos Dwarves are not getting their own book. They have been shelved. If they get anything it will be a suppliment for an Allied Contingient--like Kislev. As for Dogs of War, we get a new list with most Compendiums/Annuals. I don't think there is need for a book.

A few points here, the most recent rumours that i heard was that they WERE intending to do CD, just not as soon as ALOT of players would like (last rumour was 2007-2008), secondly I agree that there is no real need for a DoW "Army Book" a new list in Chronicles/Annual (what happened to last one by the way?) will more than suffice.

Sgt John Keel
01-05-2005, 21:46
A few points here, the most recent rumours that i heard was that they WERE intending to do CD, just not as soon as ALOT of players would like (last rumour was 2007-2008), secondly I agree that there is no real need for a DoW "Army Book" a new list in Chronicles/Annual (what happened to last one by the way?) will more than suffice.

Same here. I think it was in Dysartes' Gav interview.

Anyway, I've heard some bits and snippets on Dwarves entering playtest, so my guess would be for something involving Dwarves.

*Summons Engel*

/Adrian

75hastings69
01-05-2005, 22:06
Thanks, by the way do you remember a thread on the old portent where someone claimed a friend of a friend had seen plastic CD whilst on a visit to GW HQ? Maybe he just saw new plastic Dwarves?

Dargon
01-05-2005, 23:29
Thanks, by the way do you remember a thread on the old portent where someone claimed a friend of a friend had seen plastic CD whilst on a visit to GW HQ? Maybe he just saw new plastic Dwarves?That's a definate possibility. If I recall correctly, the rumour came up around the same time Brother Frog was first informing us of GW's intention to revisit the plastic ranges. A year back (or even half a year ago), if any of us saw Dwarf plastics, the automatic assumption would be for Chaos Dwarfs, since the Dwarf range was done and everyone was hoping for GW to make a start on the Chaos Dwarfs.

It's also possible that he saw resin mock-ups lying around of some concepts GW might have been toying with when they were re-inventing the Chaos Dwarfs for the Hellcannon (or perhaps the actual resins for the Hellcannon model). Or perhaps even some personal conversions/sculpts of the designers - I'm sure they all have a few dotted around their workstations.
ACtaully, the War between High Elves and Dwarfs was started by Dark Elves dressing as High Elves....so theres a point...This is about the only recorded encounter between the two, and I'm not sure whether it's big enough for a campaign book. The Dark Elves raided a few vulnerable Dwarf caravans... and that was about it. Lacking understanding of the concept of a civil war, the Dwarfs went to the Phoenix King for answers and recompense, since in the eyes of the Dwarfs, the Phoenix King was suppose to be resposible for all the Elves. The rest is history. There doesn't seem to be much scope there for a Lustria style book - unless GW hope to introduce rules for supply wagons and the like.

It's possible though that Gav plans to dramatically increase the scope of these raids. After all, he's already set up the groundwork for a bitter personal feud between Malekith and the White Dwarf.

As for new books in the future...
There were strong rumours of GW planning a proper "Allied Contingents" book (I believe I first read this on Raza Decon's "Merchant Prince" website).
I also think it's very likely we'll eventually see GW revisit either "Siege" or "Skirmish" (or both), although it would make more sense for GW to do this after the release of 7th Edition, rather than before.

Just a thought...

75hastings69
01-05-2005, 23:41
It's possible though that Gav plans to dramatically increase the scope of these raids. After all, he's already set up the groundwork for a bitter personal feud between Malekith and the White Dwarf.

I know nothing of this feud between Malekith & Grombrindal, where can i find out more? Maybe this will be the setting for the battle between DE & Dwarves?

As for new books in the future...
There were strong rumours of GW planning a proper "Allied Contingents" book (I believe I first read this on Raza Decon's "Merchant Prince" website).
I also think it's very likely we'll eventually see GW revisit either "Siege" or "Skirmish" (or both), although it would make more sense for GW to do this after the release of 7th Edition, rather than before.

I also remember the rumour of the "Allied Contingents" book. I really liked the Warhammer Skirmish book, I have a copy at home, but it is so hard to pick up now, mind you alot of the stuff (in fact more stuff!!) is on the website.

I really want them to do new CD the imagery that the fluff puts in my mind is too good to be wasted...... come on GW what do you say? (does anyone from GW read this site anymore?)

Dargon
02-05-2005, 08:35
I know nothing of this feud between Malekith & Grombrindal, where can i find out more? Maybe this will be the setting for the battle between DE & Dwarves?As yet, there is no recorded feud... but the seeds of one were definately sewn in White Dwarf 300, within Gav's rather long story of the origins of the White Dwarf.

Long story short, King Snorri (The White Dwarf) and Prince Malekith (Ambassador to the Dwarfs) were good friends before the High Elf civil war. Apon his death-bed, Snorri made a promise that death would not be the end, that he would continue to watch over his people. In addition, he asked Malekith to swear an oath - to uphold the ideals that the two of them had held dear.

We know that death wasn't the end for the White Dwarf, and we also know that Malekith failed to uphold his noble ideals, even using the information he gained as Ambassador for the Dark Elf raids on the Dwarfs. In fact, by Gav's story, it's very possible that the breaking of this powerful oath between them was responsible for returning the White Dwarf to the Warhammer World. Dwarfs take oaths very seriously, so Gav's story is begging for another encounter between Malekith and the White Dwarf.

Just a thought...

Reabe
02-05-2005, 08:58

Oh, no Dogs of War don't need an army book with no plastic models/models in stores and musicians at 10pts/15pts [/sarcasm]

Yes, there is need for a book. There is very much need for a book.

rkunisch
02-05-2005, 11:02
I always thought that the Dwarfs vs. Goblins scenario is the new 40k-like starting box for WFB and due for the Xmas 2006 release. :confused:

I think there would also be room for a dedicated siege supplement.

Have fun,

Rolf.

75hastings69
02-05-2005, 11:17
Here is an extract from an e-mail i received today .....

"While the Chaos Dwarfs have no specific plans for re-release just yet, they have most certainly not been forgotten. They made a cameo appearance in the Storm of Chaos book helping out Archaon with the Hellcannon, and were also mentioned in the Ogre Kingdoms book, so the Chaos Dwarfs are most certainly not gone for good.

The current rumours filtering out of the Design Studio are all about the Wood Elves, but work is also underway on new rules for the Dwarfs, but there are currently no exact dates for release, or even the precise format of the book. Either way, it's something to look forward to for the short bearded ones."

Take from that what you will.

Avian
02-05-2005, 11:56
My guess, based on the need for plastic regiment sets, is that Dwarfs and Dark Elves should both be at the top of the list of army books being re-written, with Skaven and High Elves quite far down the list with the release of the new sets.

Scythe
02-05-2005, 14:22
But new plastic boxes doesn't mean a new army book per se. It could be another campaign book, like Lustria is.

Altough I agree that both DE and Dwarfs need some plastic sets, and DE could really use a new army book (if only to incorporate all the revisions made to the army; you have to carry several white dwarfs and the SoC book to have all DE information available).

Quetzl
02-05-2005, 19:29
I think that the Dwarfs could possibly be the next event on the calendar in terms of new books. And then I would hope that Dark Elves could get some updating, especially the rules...

I will and always have thought that Dogs of War would be a waste of the HQ's time as they have no real appeal, and all GW wants is to sell stuff.

After that I think Chaos Dwarfs could be a possibility, but the next most likely will be campaign books and realm books, just so they can introduce more new models.

75hastings69
02-05-2005, 20:51
Dwarf & DE plastice ARE going to be next on the list for new plastics after WE are released, as I put in the thread above. I don't think that we need to speculate anymore on that matter.

The only thing I found strange in the e-mail I received was that there was work underway for "new rules" for dwarves, does this maybe mean there will be a new Dwarf army book?

Dargon
03-05-2005, 07:18
The only thing I found strange in the e-mail I received was that there was work underway for "new rules" for dwarves, does this maybe mean there will be a new Dwarf army book?Like others, I'm betting that "new rules" is probably more along the lines of a special list in a campaign book, rather than a full armybook. Like how Skaven and Lizardmen now have "new rules" in the Lustria book ;) .

I can't recall where I read it, but I'm sure I remember reading one of the GW designers adamantly denying that there were any plans to redo any armybooks (including Dark Elves) until 7th Edition (probably from one of the Games Day Q&A sessions - it's not in the Dysartes interview).

Though, as a Dwarf player, I can't help hoping the rewrite rumours come to pass :p .

Just a thought...