PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of War of the Ring Painters 2009

Pages : [1] 2

Mr Feral
04-02-2009, 17:14
Greetings and salutations people, and welcome to The Tale of War of the Ring Painters 2009. :D

Basically, this thread is going to be dedicated to the crazy bunch of us who are going to be painting like mad in preparation for the upcoming "War of the Ring" game (and then playing it obviously, and then painting some more :p).

Here's the rules (courtesy of Death Korp):

Over the Year of 2009, we'll be painting the armies we want to get painted. There is no such thing as Jokers or 'monthly points value' in this, as this has made people leave before due to time constraints.
BUT, there will be a monthly checkup on people's armies to see how they are getting on and how they are getting on with it playing wise.

It will be one thread (to rule them all! :cheese:) over the year so it makes peoples lives easier. In this thread is allowed:

*WIP models, army pictures and links to battle reports
*Tutorials
*C&C on the armies
*Link to a WOTR Tactica thread (I'll make this when the book comes out)

You can do any amount of armies, but you don't have to stick to one. If you want to move from different armies throughout the course of the year, then that is OK! I for one will be trying to get as many of my armies painted, I'm not sticking to one.

So, I think that's about it so let the Tale begin!
(If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask too of course)

ps. Death Korp, if you're reading this I apologise for stealing your thread, but the painters were getting restless without it. :angel:

LordKhaine
04-02-2009, 19:05
Well, shall I be one of the first to kick this off?

I have more pictures on my own log, but it doesnt hurt to post some on here to give it a boost, so without further wait, some of my elves!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/ellahoir/001-4.jpg

And here is two group shots of just some of the characters i have, not much i promise lol :angel:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/ellahoir/10.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/ellahoir/12.jpg

Nightsword
04-02-2009, 19:44
And bloomin' beautiful they is too LordKhaine. Having being painting elves since around 1 oclock this afternoon, I'm really impressed at how smooth you have that gold on them swordsmen, did it take you long?

And you know it's rank of 4 or 8 don't you, 6 just doesn't come into the equation :P And geezer, where's the command company? Serously dude, you're slacking.

LordKhaine
04-02-2009, 19:59
And bloomin' beautiful they is too LordKhaine. Having being painting elves since around 1 oclock this afternoon, I'm really impressed at how smooth you have that gold on them swordsmen, did it take you long?

And you know it's rank of 4 or 8 don't you, 6 just doesn't come into the equation :P And geezer, where's the command company? Serously dude, you're slacking.

the gold was done doing this method

- bestial brown
- shining gold
- drybrush mithril silver
- ogryn flesh wash

there you go lol

and i know its ranks of 4, they where just set out for show lol

warhammergrimace
04-02-2009, 20:01
Hi everyone

I'm going to be painting a Harad Army over the following months, along with some of the allies I also have.

Here is Elrond I recently finished.

LordKhaine
04-02-2009, 20:14
thats a cool elrond there warhammergrimace, need to get my hands on him like for myself

bit of a random model for a harad army lmao

LordKhaine
04-02-2009, 20:57
and here for most people, a group shot of what i have to look forward to paint lol

my elf and dwarf alliance :D

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/ellahoir/14.jpg

Nightsword
04-02-2009, 20:59
Well that's just showing off... Nice job with the ranks ;) You're storming mate.

warhammergrimace
04-02-2009, 21:06
I think I need to actually dig everything out of the cupboard and see what I've let myself in for. Then take a pic and post I think. In fact I'm off to do that right now....

LordKhaine
04-02-2009, 21:24
cool warhammerG' looking forward to seeing them like

Dino
04-02-2009, 21:24
I'm tempted to join but I dought I'll be able to keep up a good steady painting rutine for this. I'll see though.

LordKhaine
04-02-2009, 21:30
I'm tempted to join but I dought I'll be able to keep up a good steady painting rutine for this. I'll see though.

join, there isnt any restrictions on when and how many your ment to post, so long as you tribute now and then :)

always nice to have more people onboard

warhammergrimace
04-02-2009, 21:32
Ok have taken a pic of the part of my army. I have some more blisters, which in a box under the wife's painting station and I'm not allowed to touch her paint station, unless I want to become an eunuch. Also have a box of Harad warriors which I can't seem to find at the mo.

Joewrightgm
04-02-2009, 21:36
Well, I've got, as of this afternoon:

48 Mordor Orc warriors waiting paint, 2 cave trolls from Mines of Moria set, 48 Moria Goblins and the full fellowship from the Mines of Moria.

I think I may use aragorn as a spring board for a Rangers of the North army.

Cpt. Drill
04-02-2009, 22:38
Hi guys here is my entry so far...

I am going to do the forces of good and evil for the battle of Hornburg. So here is a taste of the Rohirrm...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/tomandjoe/rohhirm.jpg

Mindless_Destruction
05-02-2009, 04:52
how many points is the war of the ring anyway?

LordKhaine
05-02-2009, 07:24
@ warhammergrimace - looks like youve got some work to do there mate, but i bet it will make a good southron army when they are all done, good luck!

@ cpt. drill - they look cool them, ive been watching these for awhile, i love the idea lol

Ben
05-02-2009, 07:41
Short answer, we don't know yet.

Probably the best approach is to paint 24 infantry/12 cavalry plus a character or two per month. If you are collecting that also keeps your budget around £30. 24 infantry will give you three units.

If you are just starting, look at the deals GW currently offer, which usually have 2 or 3 plastic boxes worth plus some metal stuff. The Dwarf box is good for this (7 infantry units, captain+banner, ballista).

Mindless_Destruction
05-02-2009, 07:44
thanks im guessing around 1500pts but i could probably make it to 2000pts in time for tale of gamers in which case, i'd like to join the tale of war of the ring painters 2009 (dont know who to ask)

Crisis_Core
05-02-2009, 08:03
Hey Mr. Feral I already made a shout out about joining the WOTRP over in the LoTR subforum.

I haven't got any progress to show you lads yet but I'll be starting on another 2 Galadhrim tonight :)

Cheers!

0ld1eye
05-02-2009, 14:21
If you are just starting, look at the deals GW currently offer, which usually have 2 or 3 plastic boxes worth plus some metal stuff. The Dwarf box is good for this (7 infantry units, captain+banner, ballista).

This intrigues me and I wish to learn more.

I'm looking at starting dwarfs, but I can't find this boxed set you mention anywhere. I've found the rohan, mordor, isengard, haradrim, and moria boxed sets, but I can find no mention of this... link please?
Or is this a deal unique to the USA?

Joewrightgm
05-02-2009, 14:36
The deals don't exist anymore, but some GW retailers still carry them; you'll just have to shop around.

Death Korp
05-02-2009, 14:52
First of all, can I say thank you to Mr Feral to starting this off for me, he has saved me a couple of times in things like this (If I recall correctly?).

I apologise for been so late, but I was involved in a Car Crash on Monday, so I'm not up to much at the moment. I haven't had chance to get this up for you lads and ladies, so I must apologise.

Great work from all so far, I'll start getting myself sorted again with my LOTR stuff!

Cheers to Mr Feral once again,

Alex (DK)

Nightsword
05-02-2009, 15:09
Alex, I hope your ok man :S Get better soon.

Chris.

Mr Feral
05-02-2009, 15:39
Comment time!

LordKhaine, lovely Elves, I really dig the unusual red and cream colour scheme. Of course, any kind of purple (like on your Cirdan) is made of win to me. :D

warhammergrimace, I loving the Elrond, espcially the robes and the base. I look forward to seeing those Haradrim painted up.

Dino, we have no real rules in this Tale, just paint up what you feel like and have fun. :)

Joewrightgm, a horde of Moria Goblins? Sounds good, evil is always welcome.

Cpt. Drill, smooth work on such a small scale. Consider me a fan!

Crisis_Core, I'll add you to the list.

Death Korp, it's good to see you finally turn up :p, I mean yes yes master *hides in the corner*

Overall, an excellent start to the Tale and I look forward to seeing more from everyone (and you never know, I get actually get something myself done too :p)

Joewrightgm
05-02-2009, 16:59
thanks for the encouragement Feral; next hurdle is getting a decent camera and work on my photo-fu.

I'll try to post some pics either tonight or tommorrow sometime.

C-Coen
05-02-2009, 17:40
No pics for now, but some descriptions.
Starting out with my Moria force, I've converted some (6) warriors to prowlers (2 with each piece of equipment). Of course, no huge army is complete with some huge beastie.. so I've been busy with my Balrog. :D

As two other guys at my local store have one two, I wanted to do something special with mine. Now, one of those guys has a normal one, while the other one removed it's wings. But for a while now, I've had something different in mind.. other wings. So, after purchasing both the Balrog and a Dragon *how do you mean, financial crisis?* I've been looking for ways to get those dragon wings on my Balrog. Will take a while before it's finished, but I think it will look pretty awesome.

Nice work so far guys, may your paint never run out!

Death Korp
05-02-2009, 17:52
Thought I'd comment :)

LordKhaine: I do like the alternative colour scheme for the elves, red does go well with them!

warhammergrimace: Looking forwards to the Harradrim, but showing me that Celeborn, it shows me that you've got potential.

Joewrightgm: Awesome idea of the swarm of goblins, you just need to make some themed moria movement trays for them (with broken pillars and dwarves on them), that would look awesome!

Cpt. Drill: Great to see your 'mini-tures' here, I like Feral and many people here, is a fan of them. I do like the Rohirimm you did though, the banner is crazy painting!

And to Feral himself, don't know why you are telling me to get cracking on the PM, what about yourself? :D

And especially for you Dino: Like Feral said, there are no restrictions in the rules, like for example everything will be in this thread over the year. I did that becasue I know from personal experience that deadlines put too much pressure on people, and the deadlines made load of people leave. And its the same for the other ToPs in my opinion. So I disposed on it, and everyone here seems happy about it.

Cheers,

DK

Ben
05-02-2009, 19:38
I've just had a look, and I can't find a dwarf battalion on any of the sites. I'd normally go to. It is an awesome set, and because it came out as LotR sales were starting to die down I would call GW up and see if they have anymore, and if not, have a look at the GW stockists section in the magazine and try the independant stockists. They will often have stock languishing on shelves for ages without being sold (I just managed to get some stuff from the OnG splash release thats obviously been sitting on a shelf somewhere for three years).

That said getting a plastic box and a character a month will give you a full size army you can start playing with in 250 point games in a month, and full size Lotr games in 3 months, and decent sized WotR games in 3-5 months, depending on what you get.

Ben
05-02-2009, 19:51
Ebay search gave me this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DWARF-ARMY-OF-EREBOR-1000-Points-Lord-Of-The-Rings_W0QQitemZ200303850790QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_T oys_Wargames_RL?hash=item200303850790&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

I'd add more iron guard, and a ballista or two, but this is actually an ok lot if none of the weapons are broken.

Mr Feral
05-02-2009, 19:52
thanks for the encouragement Feral; next hurdle is getting a decent camera and work on my photo-fu.

You're welcome. :) I also find myself without the use of a camera, but I'll sort that out soon enough.

And to Feral himself, don't know why you are telling me to get cracking on the PM, what about yourself? :D

You should see the amount of plastic I have choking both of my painting desks (yeah I have two, one's filthy with paint stains and rubbish mind you :angel:). I'll have something painted up sometime soon*.

(*hopefully, or I won't be setting a very good example would I? ;))

Dino
05-02-2009, 20:40
OK. I'll see what I can do. I'm gonna be doing a lot of painting and have very little time to paint this month and probably the next and may run out of LOTR minis real fast. But sign me up.

Nightsword
05-02-2009, 23:13
Dino, I'm the same. But in the last week I've doubled my collection purely for this tale, with 38 new elf infantry (swords and bows) and elrond and gil-galad on the way. I've got 7 bowmen on my desk basecoated (the eigth I somehow left at home :WTF:), and 8 swordsmen primed in my box, with another 12 or 13 or something primed at home with elladan, elrohir and Glorfindel, plus my lothlorien lot.

LordKhaine
05-02-2009, 23:16
well this is starting to kick off, not seeing much models though people, lets get them up here (spesh you nightsword! lol)

cant wait to start seeing all these cool ideas come to life!

Crisis_Core
06-02-2009, 04:09
Right. Here's the start of my fearsome WoTR army! 2 thats right, 2 Elves!
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/johnyance/H_ESB.jpg

The warrior w. Sword didn't come out too great unfortunately :(

iPaint
06-02-2009, 08:26
Just got back from a friend's house after a long night gaming. I had painted a bunch of LotR stuff back when RotK was out, and put down my brushes just around BotPF release. Haven't painted LotR since, so War of the Ring has sparked my interest to get cracking on the collection of minis that have gathered dust over the last 5 years.

I paint basic infantry/cav and then dip them using Minwax deck stain, really speeds the process up.

On the "To-be-dipped-soon" tray are:

8 Easterlings w/ spear and shield (metal)
2 Easterlings w/ sword and shield (plastic)
9 Uruk-Hai Scouts with bow (m)
6 Warriors of Minas Tirith with bow (p)
2 Warriors of Minas Tirith command (m)
13 Uruk-Hai Berserkers (m)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/DSC_1183_resized.jpg

WIP:

6 Easterlings w/ sword and shield (p)
12 Uruk-Hai Battering Ram crewmen (m)
4 Uruk-Hai Captains (m)
4 Uruk-Hai Standard Bearers (m)
4 Uruk-Hai Ballista crewmen (m)
50 Uruk-Hai with pikes (p)
50 Uruk-Hai with sword and shield (p)
9 Uruk-Hai with crossbows (m)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/DSC_1185_resized.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/DSC_1188_resized.jpg

Hoping to knock out most of the metal Uruks by the weekend.

-iPaint

LordKhaine
06-02-2009, 08:30
those are some good elves crisis, keep it up man!

Mindless_Destruction
06-02-2009, 09:26
Lord Khaine or Death Korp (whoever is running it) could i be involved in the the tale of war of the ring painters with moria goblins?

lorelorn
06-02-2009, 11:02
Everyone's stuff is looking good - loving those mini Rohan Cpt Drill, and also your Galadhrim Crisis Core!

I've finished a massive 5 easterling spears, and I'm going to hold off more painting until I work out what this whole 'evil men' list is going to mean for my current models, since my evil army is easterling/black numenorean/black gate/dragon/nazgul, I think I'm all over the place in terms of a War of the Ring list for evil. I'll wait and see.

I'll still do the check-ins once I have images to show, since there are a few Rohan models I can paint, and I'll definitely be using those.

LordKhaine
06-02-2009, 19:20
@Mindless' - its death korp and mr feral who are really running it, but anyone is free to join :)

donuter
06-02-2009, 20:26
Well i chose Harad (serpant horde) because I like the way they look and elephants are the second coolest animal after hippo's. The colour schemis from an applied scheme from total war. this is them after 2 hours.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/donuter/2009_0206Warhammer0006-1.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/donuter/2009_0206Warhammer0005.jpg

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/donuter/2009_0206Warhammer0004.jpg

What do you think?

Mindless_Destruction
07-02-2009, 01:09
thanks i'll get pictures up later and get to work painting

nice job on the harad

Joewrightgm
07-02-2009, 04:32
No pictures yet, but an update from me:

12 Mordor Orcs painted today; currently sitting on 27 line infantry unpainted, along with 2 captains and 1 standard bearer.

I'm trying to decide where to go next with them, because I've only got two empty trays in my double-wide blue army case left O_O

warhammergrimace
07-02-2009, 10:46
Will be painting this weekend so should have some more pics for Monday/Tuesday.....

Nightsword
07-02-2009, 20:14
Anyone got any good ideas for painting eyes on these lil blighters? I've done the face once, and shaded in the eyes black, with the aim of adding white. I added white, and coloured in the eye, so went to dot the white with black, ended up reshading the eye and half the socket. Rebased the face now...

Space Marine Stryc
07-02-2009, 20:14
Crisis Core--Beautiful Elves. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your army.
LordKhaine--Love the color scheme.
iPant--Alright! Another Isengard player.
Donuter--I like the dirty red look.
C-Coen--Can't wait to see you Balrog.

Nightsword
08-02-2009, 00:14
@ Warhammergrimace: Go on, move her station just a little bit. Go on ;) You've picked a great army, If I'd have had the funds, Harad (or mordor) would have been best. Look forward to seeing your stuff up on here.

Cpt. Drill: Very impressive, great work XD They look well fiddly, you must have a very small brush.

Lordkhaine: I'll show you tomorrow. Cheeky little barsteward :D

Crisis_Core: Meh, sub-standard at best... I mean, where's the effort? ;)

(The warrior with the sword looks fine btw, you shouldn't worry. A company or formation of these are going to look beautiful. How many lothlorien elves do you have?)

iPaint: Good looking start, I lovez the uruks. And finally, that's a hell of alot of primed figures :eek: Would make a great dead pile if my elves were to get hold of them :P

Donuter: Black is notorius to get right and you haven't done a bad job at all. The browny orange is very bright against the black though, so I'm not sure if you might want to do the cloaks and wraps in a grey instead? I'm not familiar with total war, so I can only rely on my painting knowledge, but I think grey and a neutral brown in addition to the orange, but instead of the black, would be of benefit to you (especially when you've done the flesh). You can differentiate between models where you put those colours too.

So for example, you keep your orange as the "unity" colour on all the cloth, but say on one model, the belt and wrappings are say, graveyard earth highlighted khaki, whilst the cloth hangings or cloak are perhaps codex grey highlighted fortress grey, whilst you reverse the colours on the next model (Maybe for speed and a greater sense of unity you keep the scheme the same across the range, so all the wrappings brownish, all the cloak and stuff grey). Maybe wash these areas with the GW washes and it just transforms the look.

You asked for an opinion, so thats just my 2 cents for you there :)

alexh
08-02-2009, 04:15
Since war of the ring seems to have sparked my interest in lotr once more, I think I may have to join this merry band with my rangers. I got them all sprayed tonight and hope to start painting them tomorrow so I'll get some pics up then.

iPaint
08-02-2009, 04:52
Update on the dip log:

8 Easterlings w/ spear and shield (metal)
2 Easterlings w/ sword and shield (plastic)
9 Uruk-Hai Scouts with bow (m)
6 Warriors of Minas Tirith with bow (p)
2 Warriors of Minas Tirith command (m)
13 Uruk-Hai Berserkers (m)
12 Uruk-Hai Battering Ram crewmen (m)
4 Uruk-Hai Captains (m)
4 Uruk-Hai Standard Bearers (m)
4 Uruk-Hai Ballista crewmen (m)

All dipped, started work on the last 6 plastic Easterlings, will have more done on them tomorrow, and will most likely start the long process of painting those 100 plastic Uruk-hai.

>> Space Marine Stryc
>> iPant--Alright! Another Isengard player.

Hehe, no, more like the entire collection of LotR models since before GW branched away from the movies in the last 3-4 years. :P Batch painting just happens to be the best (though, admittedly, longest) method of getting these guys done. I do love the Uruk-hai scouts the best of all of GW's sculpts and WETA's creations. Need to get some of the new plastics to mingle in with the metals I have.

Crisis_Core
08-02-2009, 06:43
Awesome progress so far guys!

@iPaint: Man that is a lot of lead and plastic!
@Nightsword: I think I have about 12 of each, which has been bolstered with another 3 Swordsman, and a Banner Bearer which I'm rather looking forward to painting :D Luckily it means I can get about 2 ranks with each, especially as I'll definately be picking up the plastics for some extra poses.
@donuter: liking your paintscheme atm mate. You could probably highlight those gold sections with a little mithril silver to make them pop a bit more!

Finally, a little more progress on the next two elves...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/johnyance/DSC04198.jpg

Can't wait to see more progress from you lads!

iPaint
08-02-2009, 07:19
Nice looking elves ya got going on Crisis, really reminds me of the 'Eavy Metal paint jobs but much smoother on the highlights. Top notch. I still have a bunch of those to work on as well. Really anxious to see how well the rumored plastics will fit in next to em.

Gotta enjoy the fact that most of the collection came from a long time back when blisters of infantry were 3 figs for about $8 or something, instead of the current price they are now.

Nightsword
08-02-2009, 10:43
I assume we can post WOTR news here, because Crisis, if you haven't seen this already...

http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52081&d=1234091339
http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52080&d=1234091339

From this thread:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176853 (You should probably post any comments about these pics there)

And just for LordKhaine (or Lorraine Kelly as I'm calling him from now on)...

Elf tester (Remember, this is very closeup):
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/elf.jpg

I'm going to darken the purple and smooth out the highlights on the rest. And i'm not painting any more eyes, so that black will get tidied up XD

To do:
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/elvisharmy.jpg

Sniper Kelly
08-02-2009, 11:33
Hi all,

My first eight wood elves are finished. I've given them all new heads (From Hasslefree Miniatures) and sculpted hoods on. Another six are being converted and should be ready for undercoating tomorrow. Hopefully I'll finish 24 by the end of the month.

donuter
08-02-2009, 12:59
That colour scheme is brilliant. How do you do the bases?

C-Coen
08-02-2009, 15:39
Not sure on some of the heads, but the facts they have hoods still makes them look great. I actually thought of making a small hooded army myself, to have Mirkwood Elves as opposed to my normal (Lothlůrien) army.
Excellent work on the bowstrings too!

Sniper Kelly
08-02-2009, 17:23
Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

C-Coen: I know what you mean about the heads, the male ones are a little bit too long, but I quite like them, and they add a bit of character. The smaller female ones work better though I think, and could be used as male heads quite easily.

Donuter: I added bits of slate and etched brass leaves to the bases to add a bit of variety.

LordKhaine
08-02-2009, 17:39
@ Nightsword - damn you man lol that elf is amazing, so going to put extra effort into mine now! lol

alexh
08-02-2009, 19:32
Here's a quick WIP of my Grey Company, I'll get some better pics in daylight once I've done a bit more work on them http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/002.jpg

Mr Feral
08-02-2009, 20:19
A few comments on what I see so far.

donuter, I'm liking the orange. I agree with Nightsword's suggestions for improving them a bit more. ;)

Crisis_Core, great colour on the gold, it's pretty lookin'.

Nightsword, it looks like you'vre got a good colour scheme going down there, and should be easy enough to duplicate easily too.

alexh, it's hard to see what's happening in that photo, so I await some more progress. :)

ps. you've been added to the list.

As for me good people, I have time off tomorrow (always a precious thing to me) so I'll get cracking on what little I have to start with for the Tale. ;)

Shadowphrakt
08-02-2009, 20:25
oho! Didn't realise that this had started :D

Well then! Better get started :D

Detecting a distinct surplus of elvy nonesense - and I'll join them, once I get some painted.

Joewrightgm
08-02-2009, 21:08
Me again:

Picked up Gothmog yesterday, and I'm still sitting on about 30 orcs left to paint.

After that, I think I'm going to tackle my 2 Mines of Moria Cave Trolls, and go about finding some more space in my case for the Restless Dead . . . :)

LordKhaine
08-02-2009, 21:41
hey alex!! nice to have you join us man, very grey looking grey company lol, but i know you, you'll do something to make it right, we should get a game in down the store sometime during the week when both of us are off work lol

LordKhaine
08-02-2009, 21:58
well double post for me because after my last comment i felt like i should update

so after seeing all these fine lord of the rings models come out, i thought "why rush my models" so im going to take a more time consuming but worth it painting method to these guys to compete with you all (damn you nightsword! lol)

so here it goes, im changing my army to be that of the last alliance, mainly elves with my allied numenorians (because in war of the ring only a quarter of you points can be allies)

the main difference going to be is im going to include more then just elrond and gil-galad as my elf heros, one is going to be celeborn, and proberbly most elves with "lineage of the first born", but it would help if people could give me an idea of who else would be there, for instance was the twins there? :confused:

but without further adooooo, i give you celeborns armour!!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/ellahoir/15.jpg

does look a bit dark for now, but i assure you it shall brighten up once the contrasting colours are done

Nightsword
08-02-2009, 21:59
@ Sniper: Nice work with the paintjobs and conversions, what are the bowstrings made out of?

@ LK today: So you should :D I'm kidding, you're elves are great (in a straight fight I'd win though ;)). Thanks XD

@ alexh: *sigh* another middlesborough groupie... Good job you got some fancy painting going on. What's the plan with these guys?

@ Mr Feral: Aye, it is (gold is a bit complex though). Imagine gold NMM on the armour and that's what my elves in the last tale would have looked like XD God bless foundation paints and the washes. Cheers!

@ Shadowphrakt: Good man :D

@ JoewrightGM: Hope to see Gothmog soon ;-)

@ Lorrain Kelly: Time to play? You should be painting boi!

@ Ninja khaine: You updated whilst I was typing XD. Now that gold is nothing short of spectacular.

And on the subject of rushing, I basecoated the robes of 50 elves purple today (and started the grey on another four before getting down to some guitar practice...), and I'm talking 3 thin coats on each... I'm going to dream about purple XD

LordKhaine
08-02-2009, 22:06
ninja khaine, i like it nightsword lol

needless to say nightsword your elves look amazing, cant wait to see a batch of them together, and who cares if their not NMM, there is a reason metallic paint exsists, cause it looks good lol

and whats with that "another middlesbrough groupie" your just jealous haha :p

Nightsword
08-02-2009, 22:16
The cheek. I even went and found this for you, detailing the "war of the last alliance"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Alliance_of_Elves_and_Men#War_of_the_Last_All iance

Thanks *blushes*, and yes, I am jealous. I won't ever get to play with my metallic elves :cries: I've got the testers company underway, don't worry ;)

I'm just trying to work out what allies would go well... If I got another pack of lothlorien elves with swords, I'd have have a formation of them (w/ banner and Haldir). Hmm...

LordKhaine
08-02-2009, 22:34
The cheek. I even went and found this for you, detailing the "war of the last alliance"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Alliance_of_Elves_and_Men#War_of_the_Last_All iance

Thanks *blushes*, and yes, I am jealous. I won't ever get to play with my metallic elves :cries: I've got the testers company underway, don't worry ;)

I'm just trying to work out what allies would go well... If I got another pack of lothlorien elves with swords, I'd have have a formation of them (w/ banner and Haldir). Hmm...

cheers nightsword that helped tonnes :D

so elrond gil-galad celeborn and galadrial are a must, and i think i could get away with erestor and glorfindel in there too, you think i can get away with the twins too?

as for your allies, elves are all the same list no matter where they come from, so your options are pretty much dwarves and humans (and btw, all FIVE wizards are in the book hehe)

and on another note, i thought i would show this picture as i think it looks good so far lol

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/ellahoir/16.jpg

Crisis_Core
09-02-2009, 02:25
@LordKhaine: Glad to see you've finally been exposed to the light ;) I'm expecting great things from you! The armour on Celeborn doesn't look half bad either!
@Nightsword: Nice archer mate! One niggle I have with it looks like the wash you've used with the robes has settled and it doesn't look as smooth as it could. Perhaps for the next one, more selective shading is needed?
Oh. and don't get me started on those plastic Galadhrim! They look nothing like the current metals. I may I have to stock up on blisters!
@alexh: can't wait to see gothmog!

I will try and take a photo of what I currently have, and further WiP later today!~

LordKhaine
09-02-2009, 03:09
[QUOTE=Crisis_Core;3274190
Oh. and don't get me started on those plastic Galadhrim! They look nothing like the current metals. I may I have to stock up on blisters!
QUOTE]

whats wrong with the plastic? i like the bowmen and believe i shall get some, but i do have to admit that the horsemen look a bit out of size compared to the horse, but im leaving that down to GW photography skills (or the none they have) i mean come on, they made the skulltaker model look cack and small, when infact he is huge and amazing, lol, so dont judge until you got them infront of you lol

LordKhaine
09-02-2009, 06:22
well, another sleepless night for lordkhaine guys

you know what that means, its an update, ive worked a bit more on celeborn

he is still WIP, but i like the way he is going

and please dont ask what was going on with his face, everything i did just messed up lol

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/ellahoir/17.jpg

alexh
09-02-2009, 07:05
Middlesbrough groupie!!!! The cheek of it, I was here first lol. Anyway, ask and ye shall receive http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/011.jpg
Admittedly not the best photography skills, they look a lot better in person.

Nightsword
09-02-2009, 08:11
@Nightsword: Nice archer mate! One niggle I have with it looks like the wash you've used with the robes has settled and it doesn't look as smooth as it could. Perhaps for the next one, more selective shading is needed?

Yah, you're absolutely right. I'm changing the purple slightly in fact because the folds aren't deep enough and the robes are a bit light and not as gritty as say the cloak or armour, which we can't have at all XD That, and the highlights were too thick when I did this one. More haste, less speed as they say. Something like that anyway...

The plastic galadrium I think are cool, I like the change of the scalemail because I found those robes on the metal ones a bitch to paint, so actually have some diffinition is quite welcome for me. Saying that, I agree that the paint scheme is a departure from other LOTR stuff and the horse is out of scale of the rider. It's the riders legs I reckon, the torso looks fine.

@ Middlesbrough groupie 1: Now that is a line of elves! That's pretty impressive dude. Celeborn is looking sweet too, though I think the red needs another coat to make it more solid. Everything is looking great otherwise, even if you do think you messed the face up :D

@ Middlesbrough groupie 2: :P You were late to the tale haha. Your grey company are looking fab, and I reckon if you wanted to take it up a notch, add an edging highlight to the "armour" (I don't know what to call it, the bit that covers their chest and groin). Looking good :)

Joewrightgm
09-02-2009, 13:03
Finished Gothmog last night. The new model was a sonovabitch to put together; they don't show you on the website that the warg actually has its right hind-leg on the pile of dead Gondorians.

Again, still trying to find a camera to post pics that aren't going to be garbage.

donuter
09-02-2009, 16:23
Why so many elves. So much for leaving to the elven havens...

Nightsword
09-02-2009, 17:43
Donuter, "We're back!"

*Shoots arrow*

To be fair, I bought a load of elves for the last tale which I never even started so, since I was first, Ninja Khaine and Crisis and all the other elf people are just my groupies really.

LordKhaine
09-02-2009, 22:00
ha! *shoots supierior arrow at nightsword*

i am no groupe, part from the boro one lol, i did elves mainly for the fact that i wanted to paint the white council, well tbh, mainly only erestor and glorfindel, then it went on from there lol, and i wasnt part of the last tale of LotR so i dont know what people had lol

Mr Feral
09-02-2009, 22:18
In an attempt to pull the conversation away from pesky Elves and Middlesborough folk :p, I'd thought I would share my army idea I have to begin with for this Tale.

Evil - 750 points (SBG)

Angmar
Buhrdur, Hill Troll Chieftain
25 Orc Warriors (a box's worth plus a Banner bearer)
3 Dead Marsh Spectres

The Corsair Fleets
Corsair Captain w/ 2-handed weapon
Corsair Bo'sun w/ 2-handed weapon
24 Corsairs of Umbar (a box's worth)

The Nazgul
The Tainted (on foot)

I think it will be a fun combination of painting cool models and game efficiency. Also, the Orcs and Corsairs will be a good start to collecting more for WotR.

What'd you lot reckon? :)

Sniper Kelly
09-02-2009, 22:27
Mr Feral, I like that list! Buhrdur and The Tainted are great models, and the Dead Marsh Spectres are great fun to play. I think it would be a good idea to get a horse the The Tainted though.

Mr Feral
09-02-2009, 22:36
Mr Feral, I like that list! Buhrdur and The Tainted are great models, and the Dead Marsh Spectres are great fun to play. I think it would be a good idea to get a horse the The Tainted though.

Those models you listed I want to include mostly for the looks, although they just so happen to quite effective in-game too (in theory anyway, I haven't played in years)

I could give the Tainted a horse (since the mounted version comes with the foot version in the blister pack), but I never saw how a Ringwraith would need one if it merely loitered behind the infantry line (how I would play it). I also chose the Tainted because it seemes more thematic for an Angmar army, (Spectres and all) having said that I could easily swap it for one of the other named Ringwraiths to vary things up a bit. Speaking of theming things, I plan on painting the Corsairs to be more "Wild Man" like to match the Orcs (lots of drab greens, browns and greys most likely)

It's not like I have enough to paint as it is :rolleyes:

LordKhaine
09-02-2009, 22:37
sounds good Feral, now lets see some pictures up!

Mr Feral
09-02-2009, 22:53
sounds good Feral, now lets see some pictures up!

Oh I'm just chucking ideas around at the moment, I'll get started on the painting when I get the chance. I was going to start my Mahud Kings (painting for fun) today so I'd have something to show soon at least, but it literally poured down all day so I couldn't undercoat anything with spray. :mad:

Note to self: get new camera so the good people can actually see what I'm painting. I have some many other things to show.

:angel:

Nightsword
09-02-2009, 23:18
Nice looking list Feral, looking forward to seeing some pics so I don't have to keep staring at the boro crowds armies (and of course, everyone else in the tale thus far). Speaking of which, guys come on, more pics, more pics!

Ooo, where is DK?

LordKhaine
09-02-2009, 23:35
whats all this against us boro lads lol?

and im looking forward to seeing more of yours nightsword and yours mr feral

this is really starting to fly now guys, lets keep it going

iPaint
10-02-2009, 07:10
Tack on 6 more plastic Easterlings with sword and shield, as well as the contents of a box of Uruk-hai Scouts to the just-been-dipped list.

Must say, the plastic Uruk scouts fit in awfully nice with the metals.

alexh
10-02-2009, 08:04
looking forward to seeing some pics so I don't have to keep staring at the boro crowds armies

You know you love them. I should hopefully have another update on the Grey Company tonight (if I don't fall asleep again like last night that is :D). I might also make a start on some elves as well (proper elves though not those poncy High Elves).

LordKhaine
10-02-2009, 08:46
oh aye alexh, and what would you count as "propper elves"

and if memory serves they havnt been counted as "high" elves since the fellowship book lol hence why i dont flog myself for collecting them lol

Mr Feral
10-02-2009, 09:59
I also chose the Tainted because it seemes more thematic for an Angmar army, (Spectres and all) having said that I could easily swap it for one of the other named Ringwraiths to vary things up a bit.

I was thinking, for my list it would probably be much better in-game to replace the Tainted with the Shadow Lord. Whilst the Tainted is a ridiculously cool model, the Shadow Lord's ability "Pall of Darkness" (the one that makes himself and all within 6" only hit by shooting on a six, like the "Blinding Light" power) seems much better for a horde of low Defense warriors.

Opinions?

Nightsword
10-02-2009, 10:27
Both of them? The ringwraiths are bought in 3s aren't they, and there's a legendary formation to include all of them in their supped up forms so you get all the powers XD

On a side note, I'm going to give the boro lark a rest XD

Mr Feral
10-02-2009, 10:57
Both of them? The ringwraiths are bought in 3s aren't they, and there's a legendary formation to include all of them in their supped up forms so you get all the powers XD

I'm not clued up on what the Legendary formations do yet, but hopefully more informaton will spring up as the release of WotR gets closer.

I asked which one because the list I whacked up is for the SBG at the moment, after that one is built up, painted a played with, I'll expand it to WotR-size.

Of course, if you have more information about this formation you mention, do feel free to divulge. ;)

Nightsword
10-02-2009, 16:11
From the WOTR thread on the LOTR section:

Ringwraiths are bought as a unit of 3, up to three units may be purchased (giving nine wraiths). 150 points for 3 wraiths. I think this formation represents 'basic' (fellowship) wraiths.
All 9 wraiths have their own special rules.
All epic formations cost 500 points.
One such formation is all 9 (upgraded) wraiths. This formation gains all of the special rules for each wraith as long as that wraith is alive, ie it gets the shadowlord's bonus until the shadowlord is killed. No other heros may join this formation.
Nazgul may alternatively be purchased separately for 125 points each, meaning all 9 in separate units costs a massive 1200 points! (the witch king costs an extra 75).
A nazgul on a fellbeast costs 250 points (again, extra 75 for the witch king), can move 24-36 inches and cause D3 S6 impact hits on everything they move over if they don't charge. (but they can still cast spells that turn!)

I'm not clued up on the stategy game, having never laid eyes on a rulebook or played the game :( *hangs head in shame*

Necrothrall
10-02-2009, 17:40
I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far.

Here's a picture of my Shadowlord.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp307/Necrothrall/100_0055.jpg

donuter
10-02-2009, 17:49
I swear that ringwaith is cheering, 'Who is the DADDY''

Necrothrall
10-02-2009, 17:51
I always thought of him as moaning "woooo!" in an atempt to scare someone

Joewrightgm
10-02-2009, 18:36
I always thought "Holy Ghost powah!" myself.

Nightsword
10-02-2009, 18:52
Very nice, very nice indeed. Loving the robes completely, though I think you should maybe shade the sword or grubby it up a bit. Smooth moves.

LordKhaine
10-02-2009, 19:13
great shadow lord there

and personaly i thought it was more of a "its good! its good! its good!" pose lol

LordKhaine
10-02-2009, 20:06
update time on celeborn

front
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/ellahoir/18.jpg

back
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p45/ellahoir/19.jpg

right, with him done, onto more warriors next, or maybe elendil, but i really need to get my bowmen done lol

any ideas on how i should base these guys? i was tempted with snow, but im not 100%

donuter
10-02-2009, 20:17
Pretty much finished now

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/donuter/2009_0210Warhammer0004.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/donuter/2009_0210Warhammer0005.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/donuter/2009_0210Warhammer0003.jpg

To add to this I found a box of easterlings from my club days and am still trying to find the old Suladan

LordKhaine
10-02-2009, 20:26
@ donuter - looking good man, never would of thought of orange and black for haradrim, think when you do the little bits left on them they should look quite nice

Nightsword
10-02-2009, 21:17
LK: Since we both have golden demon ambitions (I know we're not aiming at GD standards here though), I think that's well known, I'm going to be hypercritical, without trying to sound too harsh. There's three areas I'm going to pick on and that's because the rest of the mini is brilliant (Armour, face, robes... the lot. It is a really high standard and I'm actually quite jealous. I see you did the red again too, that's much better, good work :))

Anyway, for me, three areas aren't quite the same quality as the rest of your work and they are; the sword blade, the hair and the tabard. On a quick sidenote, you appear to have a stain on the hood at the back of celeborn. The hair and the tabard both suffer from the same issue and that is they lack a deep enough contrast. The hair is a really nice colour, I think you just need to run a watered down darker shade with a fine brush down the "strands". I found you a few examples I thought were pretty nifty (note also how they have the tabard and the stringy bit a different colour or shade as well, it really define the detail of the mini):

http://www.coolminiornot.com/164093 (Alexi-z - This women is an amazing painter. Can you believe that gold is NMM?!)
http://www.coolminiornot.com/102081
http://www.coolminiornot.com/133090

I don't know what to suggest about the sword blade, but I know that it is the black shadow that bothers me. I think that maybe the line is too thick (as in wide), so running a metallic colour to "thin" it might produce a more favourable result.

I'm fully intend this passage to be useful to you and constructive and not a dig at your painting ability/talent/sexuality. I've been told my critique aren't always pleasant to read, but I wouldn't comment on something I didn't think was worthy of it. You've done a spectacular job and you're army is going to look the dogs knackers. Good job bud.

Right, you've distracted me from my archers for long enough. I've nearly got 8 fully basecoated and awaiting a good devlan mud wash XD XD

@ Donuter: You're storming mate. Just make sure you cover all the area you are painting with the colour, like on the bow and face for instance, there's the odd black bit showing through. Good work :)

Crisis_Core
11-02-2009, 00:51
@necrothrall: nice shadowlord! planning anything else for him??
@donuter: hey man, your haradrim are looking good, just one thing though - perhaps start painting over a darker basecoat such as darkflesh/bestial brown/scorched brown cause your paint isn't solid, there are bits of the undercoat showing through.
@LK: Nice Celeborn!
@Nightsword: Stop critiquing and keep postin' :P
Right, internet hasn't been working for a whole day, so I decided to lounge around and take a picture of all the galadhrim which are being painted for the tale. A lot of them are ancient paintjobs I did, so I'm stripping 'em all and doin' 'em again!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/johnyance/DSC04204.jpg

Mindless_Destruction
11-02-2009, 03:51
@Donuter I think they look great but maybe a wash on the skin or even a darker skin colour would look better

here is an example:
http://wargamingforums.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/wd337.jpeg

other than that mate well done

why im here i may as well add my progress:
Durburz
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3131.jpg
Cave Troll
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3133.jpg http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3134.jpg
Warriors with shields
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3137.jpg http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3136.jpg

Mindless_Destruction
11-02-2009, 03:54
Spears
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3140.jpg http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3139.jpg
Archers
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3142.jpg http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3141.jpg
And the whole gang
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/Mindless_Destruction/Moria%20Goblins/DSCF3144.jpg

iPaint
11-02-2009, 05:56
Updated pic of the last week's progress towards cleaning up the collection and getting it painted/dipped.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/DSC_1194_resized.jpg

Crisis_Core
11-02-2009, 06:16
Quick update on an archer:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/johnyance/DSC04238.jpg

Metallics are getting smoother! And the photo's are getting better! Just learnt to not use my lamp :P

alexh
11-02-2009, 06:43
I'm loving the armour on that archer Crisis, what colour are you doing the cloaks?

Crisis_Core
11-02-2009, 12:21
@iPaint: Champion effort there mate! For some reason I don't think I'll be able to produce that much, that quickly :D
@alexh: thanks alex, I'm going for the vanilla shadow grey scheme, keeping it faithful to the movies! If I get the plastics, i'll be totally rehauling their colour scheme!

Nightsword
11-02-2009, 21:23
@ Crisis Core: Yes sir!

...but not yet XD

Nice little horde you got going on. Are you in the market for lothlorien elves because I have 3 metal swordsmen, 2 metal bowmen, Haldir and a banner bearer which i don't think I'll use because I wouldn't want to have one company of metal swordsmen and then a plastic company in the same formation. the difference in models would annoy me, and I can't affor the metal ones. What say you? (Should note, Haldir and bowmen are recently stripped, though the banner bearer and swordsmen are mildly basecoated, but I use real thin paint anyway).

Anyways, that elf looks great and you're right, the metallics are getting smoother. That is very very good.

@ Mindless Destruction: You are storming, great job! Very impressed.

@ Ipaint: Same goes for you, wow. That's a lotta uruks, though last time I checked, I don't think gondorian archers allied with them :P (I kid, I kid XD)

As for me, I'm playing around trying to get this purple right... Highlights with foundation paint is fun for the whole family!

Sniper Kelly
11-02-2009, 22:48
Crisis_Core: Looking great so far!
Mindless_destruction: I like Durburz, any chance of larger pictures?
iPaint: Love those Uruks, the Easterlings look nice too!

LordKhaine
12-02-2009, 08:43
well everyones models are look awesome at the moment

crisis, i love those elves, i love the gold youve done on them, keeping the the film, i like it!

nightsword, thank you for that, thats the type of feedback i need, i need advise like that so i know where i need to improve on, if no one tells me then i can not improve!

mindless, great gobbos man, shame bout pic quality, and another thing, spears count as hand weapons in war of the ring, so feel free to mix them with your hand weapon gobs

paint, nice isengard army, first time i seen them with eastlings lol, i would advise giving the uruk armour another wash, maybe badab black, as it does look a bit bright still, but that might be the flash on the camera

iPaint
12-02-2009, 19:13
paint, nice isengard army, first time i seen them with eastlings lol, i would advise giving the uruk armour another wash, maybe badab black, as it does look a bit bright still, but that might be the flash on the camera

Thanks! Yes, it is the flash of the camera. I took the pics at night under poor lighting with the camera flash.

As for the army, hehe, well, it isn't an army so much as an addition to the 200 or so Uruks I've already painted. More troops for the Isengard war machine!

Joewrightgm
13-02-2009, 14:47
So I picked up a Mouth of Sauron and painted him. Also, I've still made no headway on my line orcs.

Nightsword
13-02-2009, 23:16
nightsword, thank you for that, thats the type of feedback i need, i need advise like that so i know where i need to improve on, if no one tells me then i can not improve!

Me too ;)

@ iPaint: Group shot!!! I want to see these 200 uruks!

So I picked up a Mouth of Sauron and painted him. Also, I've still made no headway on my line orcs.

Prove it :P

alexh
14-02-2009, 01:03
Not much progress made on the painting front but here's a couple of group shots of what I have so far
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/007.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/006.jpg
I also picked up a box of Minas Tirith Knights and Warriors as well as Cirion and Madril today as I decided I was in need of some common troops.

Mindless_Destruction
14-02-2009, 01:39
alexh
do you have a copy of july 2006 white dwarf (australian)?
if not try to it has a really good painting guide for cirion and madril, if you cant find it i can tell you what you need to do

Joewrightgm
14-02-2009, 01:39
I got another 12 Mordor Orcs done. 19, including 2 captains, a standard and 16 regular orcs to go, and I'll be ready to make the Last War, where all the world will fall into shadow and flame.

iPaint
14-02-2009, 08:50
@alexh
Can you provide a comparison between the metal and plastic Rangers please? I'm quite curious to see how well they look together, if scale creep was evident or not, if you catch my drift. Looks like a good start! Do I spy Aragorn in that first pic on the bottom left?

@Nightsword
Once the sun comes up and I've had some sleep I'll take a panoramic of pretty much the entire collection my dad and I worked on several years ago. I think my Muster of Middle Earth Excel spreadsheet says there's something around 900 minis painted in our collection so far.

I'm starting to get back into LotR in general after having been out of the hobby, the books, and the films for some far too long. War of the Ring is definitely starting to sound and look more appealing each day.

alexh
14-02-2009, 09:18
@ipaint - I'll get some more pics up later for you and yes, you did spy Aragorn in the first pic. He is a 'must have' for Grey Company along with Halbarad carrying the banner of the king.
@joewrightgm - let's see some pics of your Orcs.

liamrob
14-02-2009, 09:31
Well i have only painted about 5 of my morannon orcs so far. (so much for the 24 before school started :P)

Nightsword stop C&C and get painting. I got the bragging rights! GD in AUS hehehe :P

Looking forward to more of your elves Crisis, the armour is superbly done. Can we have the recipe for it?? I'm going to do the plastic galadhrim when their released.

Only half the pictures loaded for me cause of slow net but great job peoples and i'm looking forward to the finished army pics in (wheneva this finishes)

SylverClaw
14-02-2009, 14:39
Ok... so I'm a bit late joining in. Also, rather intimidated by the quality of the painting I'm seeing so far!

From the first picture you can see I'm a little behind with the Haradrim... those Russ' in the background got in the way. And a couple of Baneblades. That's right - ONE complete horse.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52479&stc=1&d=1234625915

I do have some lovely Easterlings ready though.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52480&stc=1&d=1234626035

I'm very pleased with the archers. I think they look quite sinister.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52481&stc=1&d=1234626139

Less pleased with this guy. The cloth is as bit... shiny. And his weapon could be bit more shiny. But, for a mostly rank and file model I can live with that.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52482&stc=1&d=1234626254

And the rest. Some better than others. I have a problem with getting bored half way through a batch.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52483&stc=1&d=1234626340

Fingers crossed, I'll get a chance to at least assemble the Harard I've picked up so far and get them undercoated today.

iPaint
14-02-2009, 20:55
Here's an overhead of everything we have painted, and based (the one tray with light tan bases has not been static grassed yet).

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/swimnserve88/DSC_1195_resized.jpg

alexh
14-02-2009, 21:10
That's quite an impressive collection you have there.

Mindless_Destruction
15-02-2009, 04:52
thats huge!
hopefully i can get some more goblins and pics up pretty soon but until then i'll have to put up with painting imperial fists.
maybe if i can i'll do more than one army over the year but for now just goblins (then dwarves, arnor, angmar and the fellowship of the ring book models, then corsair fleets and umbar, hobbits, wood elves, easterlings)
a bit of each side although i must admit im heading more towards evil also im only collecting the models for each scenario in the book so firstly about 1869pts worth of goblins and dwellers below.

one more thing, had a look at the new war of the ring book today, and... (drum roll)
NEW GOBLIN SHAMAN CHARACTER! YAY!

lorelorn
15-02-2009, 05:08
Very impressive painted collection there!

Joewrightgm
15-02-2009, 12:29
I'd say you're ready for War.

Also, I got another 12 Orcs done yesterday. I'm planning on picking up some Uruk-hai scout boxes and Warg Riders to swell my more elite forces. 19 Orcs left to go! Woot!

donuter
15-02-2009, 16:10
Is that it?

Mr Feral
15-02-2009, 16:37
I've purchased the start of my all-conquering horde yesterday, a box of Corsairs and a Captain and Bo'sun.

Good times, and expect pictures when they're painted up soon. ;)

alexh
15-02-2009, 18:59
I got loads done today, first up is a size comparison between the metal rangers and plastic ones
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/001-Copy.jpg
not too bad considering the plastic one is crouching slightly. Next is a WIP of my warriors of Minas Tirith
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/004-Copy.jpg
Just need a highlight on the armour, the faces, bows, spears and shields finishing and they're done.

Space Marine Stryc
15-02-2009, 21:48
Great job everyone! You guys are making me look like a lazy bum. :)
I should have some time either Tuesday or Thursday to paint and fingers crossed I should have some pictures up later this week.

Joewrightgm
16-02-2009, 02:45
So I just finished my last two captains and standard bearer for my orcs, as well as 3 orc warriors.

12 more to go in the orc warriors. After that I will have painted:

5 Orc captains, one on Warg
2 Standard Bearers
Drummer and Taskmaster
Gorbag
Shagrat, Captain and War leader
Gothmog, foot and mounted
2 Morannon Orc Captains
Mouth of Sauron, Foot and mounted
2 Mordor Trolls
9 Mordor Uruk-hai
48 Morannon Orcs
80 Orc Warriors
12 Warg Riders (which I made sure the riders were removable, so they can just as easily be Wild Wargs)

Stuff I'd like to add:

Uruk-hai scouts (because they are functionally identical to Mordor uruks)
More Warg Riders
Morannon Orcs
And when they come out, Morannon Orc commanders and the Witch-King on Horse.
I'd also like to get Sauron, because I can't even imagine how sick he is going to be in this game.

Crisis_Core
16-02-2009, 03:00
Tiny update from me:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/johnyance/DSC04310.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/johnyance/DSC04313.jpg

Cheers!

iPaint
16-02-2009, 04:14
@alexh
Awesome, thanks for the comparison shot, they seem to fit in quite nicely! I too enjoy painting Minas Tirith guys, since the limited color palette speeds painting along quite a bit.

@Joewrightgm
Haha, yes! Mordor has been unleashed! Can't ever have too many orcs.

@Crisis_Core
Top notch.

As for me, I just started work on 25 Fighting Uruk-hai with swords and shields, in an effort to start whittling down those 100 I have blackwashed and ready to go.

Nightsword
16-02-2009, 08:20
@ Crisis_core: How are you doing those cloak man, my purple robes aren't going too well :cries: *Mumbles about highlighting with foundation paint*

LordKhaine
16-02-2009, 08:49
come on nightsword, we have faith that you can pull it threw lol

alex man, they are looking good, need to get that flash sorted on your cam, i seen these in person and they are amazing!

crisis, i am jealous of your fantastic gold and models for that fact!

!paint. thats very impressive collection there, i think you have a head start at WotR then most of us lol

sorry i aint been posting guys, im currently stopping at my other halfs house and have none of my safetly blankets (i mean models and paints) here, so i wont have updates till early march, but i will catch up i promise :P

SylverClaw
16-02-2009, 12:22
Huzzah. I have managed to put my first horses together and even applied the first coat of paint. As these are my first horses ever they are some what experimental... trying a layering/dry-bushing mix to give them some fur-like depth. We'll see how that works.

Pictures later.

@Crisis_Core
The attention to detail on the plate-and-scale of the armour is incredible. Out of interest, what's paint time on that model so far?

Nightsword
16-02-2009, 14:17
OK, than LK today...

Metals and the grey are a long way from being anymore than basecoated, it's the purple that I've done, and am not sure on :S

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/160220091569.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/160220091562.jpg

(The captain will probably get redone...)
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/160220091564.jpg

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/160220091565.jpg

So there we are, I've got 2 archer companies and this at pretty much the same stage

alexh
16-02-2009, 17:21
Looking nice so far Nightsword, what colours are you using on the robes?

@everyone else, where are all the pics? There's 38 people signed up and only about 6 or 7 posting. Get to work people :p:p

Nightsword
16-02-2009, 17:32
Thanks alexh, I dont think so lol XD The purple robes were Hormagaunt purple washed with leviathan purple, then highlighted hormagaunt purple/bleached bone (in increasing amounts), with a final dab of devlan mud over the top to smooth it out and make it look a little more worn. Some of the application is pretty poor, some of it is ok. Having a lamp that gets insanely hot didn't help, but enough excuses.

And yes, where are the others? That death korp kid better come back soon...

donuter
16-02-2009, 17:37
Not really an update but I played WotR today. It was the battle of Pelenor fields (of course) but my god Mumacks are sick. I'm so glad I'm doing harad...

C-Coen
16-02-2009, 19:54
@everyone else, where are all the pics? There's 38 people signed up and only about 6 or 7 posting. Get to work people :p:p

Holding my Balrog at this very moment, but the bloody glue won't dry and thus the left wing won't stay in place. Weird typing btw, with just one hand!

Mr Feral
16-02-2009, 19:56

Oh, I've been working...for my payslip (hence the lack of updates.) :rolleyes:

You'll get something soon, don't you worry. :)

Death Korp
16-02-2009, 20:00
I'm the same as Feral, only thing is that I'm painting some CSMs for a Tournament on Sunday. After that, I'm painting some Gondorians for a 700pt game I'm having against Mr feral at the Ammobunker Open Bash. You are still up for it are you? ;)

DK

Mr Feral
16-02-2009, 20:02
I'm the same as Feral, only thing is that I'm painting some CSMs for a Tournament on Sunday. After that, I'm painting some Gondorians for a 700pt game I'm having against Mr feral at the Ammobunker Open Bash. You are still up for it are you? ;)

DK

I was hoping more like 750 points if that's cool? (don't want to tamper with my list of awesomeness :D)

alexh
16-02-2009, 20:55
Looking forward to it guys, I'm just about to crack on with my warriors and get them finished and then it's back to rangers or possibly knights of minas tirith.

Sniper Kelly
16-02-2009, 21:45
Hi all,

Just a quick update on my Mirkwood Elves. I've got 15 finished with another four nearly there. Two more have been converted (a banner bearer and musician), ready to paint. Just three more left on the sprue, then.

The pictures were a bit hurried, hopefully I'll get time to take some better ones later in the week.

Joewrightgm
17-02-2009, 00:15
While not mine, nor particularly hard to do, I painted (read: Washed twice) my local GW's Army of the Dead. I simply didn't realize how much detail these guys had until they were washed. The armor was particularly impressive, with a lot of 'carved' detail in the leather armor, and some armor that was very reminiscent of a ribcage.

Basically the painting method was quite easy, done with a tank brush, although a citadel large brush would have done better.

Skull white undercoat
create a mix of 50:50 Thraka green and Asurmen blue. Wash the entire model, and let dry. Base as appropriate for your army. DONE.

Total paint time for 10: 5 minutes, because I'm anal.

LordKhaine
17-02-2009, 09:34
@alexh - stop your winging alex lol, am sure everyone will show us their models in time

@nightsword - dude that elf is cool, i do like the purple robes, but for me its a bit pale for the model, with gold armour, pale cloak, it kind of just blends into the robe, i think adding less bleached bone in it and making the final hightlight hormaguant with a little bit of bone in, now it looks slightly greyish and it may look better with more colour in, or try using more solid purple colours (liche/warlock) and then add the bone, but all in all, i like it, i really do, surprising how different they look from mine lol

@sniper kelly - those hoods make all the difference, im liking them indeed, kee it up

as for everyone else, cant wait!

Crisis_Core
17-02-2009, 11:19
Ooh. I go to the gfs house for a day and look at all the traffic now :P
@NS: I'm just doing normal highlights man, but shading all those recesses with RedGore:ShadowGrey:ChaosBlack. If I'm smoothing out highlights, I'm using the base mix of 50:50 ShadowGrey:ChaosBlack. In terms of the purple robes, I think you just need to increase the contrast. The easiest way would be to increase the highlights by one stage, and perhaps make a light glaze with a combo of purple and yellow (looking at the colour circle in the How To Paint Citadel Mini's book). TBH, I think you're better off shading with your base mix rather than dev mud.

@SylverClaw:Thanks man! Umm off the top of my head it's probably around 5 hours or so, maybe a little more. I've been painting Galadhrim in pairs as you can see.

@Alexh: liking the progress man, damn all you batch painters :P

alexh
17-02-2009, 14:26
Little bit of an update, I decided to start on the Rangers of Ithilien last night (and yes, I'm batch painting again Crisis :p). Anyway, on to the pics.
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/models005-Copy.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/models007.jpg
these are just basecoats but I'll be doing more on them this afternoon.

LordKhaine
17-02-2009, 14:59
looking cool alex, dont know which is better the metal rangers or the plastic ones

C-Coen
17-02-2009, 17:41
Be amazed, my friends.
Because.. I've got piccies!
Here's my WIP Balrog, with much W and little P..!
Still, I love this model like no other. Have been wanting a normal one for quite some years, and I have an even better -converted- one!
Totally in love with this pose and these wings.
Didn't know one could be so happy with some plastic and metal. *sigh*
Right then, here you go:

http://i41.tinypic.com/n63j13.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/24qnuid.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2he9bpk.jpg

Shadowphrakt
17-02-2009, 21:29
Ugh. Afraid I'll have to pull out of this one guys! I don't have the funds nor the time to paint a WoTR army - so...anyone want to buy 24 wood elves? :D

Joewrightgm
17-02-2009, 21:33
Those are some beefy wings; where'd you get them from? I'm almost going to say they look like Dragon wings.

I dig the pose too, very nicely done. Can't wait to see it painted up.

Got a quick black robes tutorial for all those evil players out there with ringwraiths and black numenoreans:

1) Mix up 50:50 codex grey and Chaos Black. Water down slightly and paint onto the black cloth areas.
2) Drybrush with Adeptus Battle Grey. No at this point, you'll be cursing my name at the dark grey model you now have, but keep going; it gets better.
3) Drybrush with straight up codex grey. You can stop here if you want to keep it subtle, otherwise you can lightly drybrush with Fortress Grey, then move to the final step.
4) Wash with Badab Black heavily. After it drys, you'll have a great looking dark robed model.

For additional detail, you can drybrush the hem of the cloth. Scorched brown, followed by graveyard earth, then very lightly with bleached bone.

Crisis_Core
17-02-2009, 21:47
Ugh. Afraid I'll have to pull out of this one guys! I don't have the funds nor the time to paint a WoTR army - so...anyone want to buy 24 wood elves? :D

PM'ing you about that!

Nightsword
17-02-2009, 21:50
Me too. Crisis, I just sent it off.

Nightsword
17-02-2009, 22:01
*Double post* Sorry...

@nightsword - dude that elf is cool, i do like the purple robes, but for me its a bit pale for the model, with gold armour, pale cloak, it kind of just blends into the robe, i think adding less bleached bone in it and making the final hightlight hormaguant with a little bit of bone in, now it looks slightly greyish and it may look better with more colour in, or try using more solid purple colours (liche/warlock) and then add the bone, but all in all, i like it, i really do, surprising how different they look from mine lol

Cheers bud, I changed it to more of a purple, so no more greys :) Less speed, more haste, and I got something that looks a lot better and smoother IMO (and no foundation paint woot). Thanks for the motivation to get off my ass and fix it (same to you Crisis).

@NS: I'm just doing normal highlights man, but shading all those recesses with RedGore:ShadowGrey:ChaosBlack. If I'm smoothing out highlights, I'm using the base mix of 50:50 ShadowGrey:ChaosBlack. In terms of the purple robes, I think you just need to increase the contrast. The easiest way would be to increase the highlights by one stage, and perhaps make a light glaze with a combo of purple and yellow (looking at the colour circle in the How To Paint Citadel Mini's book). TBH, I think you're better off shading with your base mix rather than dev mud.

Thanks man, appreciate that. The devlan mud was just supposed to smooth out the highlights, leviathan purple doesn't do it too well IMO. I've changed it now. The contrast probably isn't as high as your suggesting, it's a a very subtle highlight, I'm not sure the pictures will convey it too well. Will have to see.

Thank you for the recipe :)

@ Alexh: Love the choice of colours, very nice indeed.

@ C-coen: That's not an elf... pffft. That's a beast man, looking forward to seeing that painted.

@ Sniper Kelly: You're storming mate, great work!

Lunar
17-02-2009, 22:13
Thought i'd mention what I've been up to. Firstly i bought myself a Tool kit, Glue, Brushes and Paint; AKA the expensive-but-last-a-long-time stuff. But i have myself a box of Dwarf Warriors and a box of Rangers, all primed but I've only painted two so far (i know, outrageous). Hoping to have at least 10 by the weekend and i might post a picture of them.

Next on the list is Balin and the Khazad Guard set, with my Silver paint scheme for the normal warriors they are going to be in Gold, Heavy Metal style actually.

At Crisis, if you have a spare moment could you PM me the exact paint scheme you use? I'm highly impressed by the quality and wouldn't mind trying myself as them (and the plastic ones) have reinspired me to take a look at Elves perhaps.

C-Coen
18-02-2009, 14:47
Those are some beefy wings; where'd you get them from? I'm almost going to say they look like Dragon wings.

I dig the pose too, very nicely done. Can't wait to see it painted up.

Thanks!

Well seen.. they are from the LotR dragon indeed. So I also have a wingless dragon here now.. heeeeellllooooo Glaurung! :evilgrin:
Yes, I've been ignoring the financial crisis a bit, and bought both. Only because of the exchange rates tough, the price was 60% of what it should be.. :angel:
Just have to buy myself some more Green Stuff to fill the gap between body and head and to get some stuff touched up, especially around the wings.
Can't wait to see it painted either, but it doesn't seem to happen all by itself, so it looks like I've got something to do next week...

LordKhaine
18-02-2009, 15:39
looking good C-Coen, ive had to convert two of the metal balrogs before for a 1st age campagin that just didnt happen, one has spear and shield, one had axe and shield, the one with the axe has been further converted to become skarbrand in warhammer, but i believe ive got the other one lying around somewhere, will have to try and get an image up of it, get them painted dude!

iPaint
19-02-2009, 03:57
Update:

25 Fighting Uruk-hai with swords and shields - ready for dipping
25 Fighting Uruk-hai with swords and shields - ~50% finished

Hopefully will have the last 25 done by tonight.

EDIT:
All 50 done and ready for dipping. Now for the pikes.

LordKhaine
19-02-2009, 07:46
Update:

25 Fighting Uruk-hai with swords and shields - ready for dipping
25 Fighting Uruk-hai with swords and shields - ~50% finished

Hopefully will have the last 25 done by tonight.

EDIT:
All 50 done and ready for dipping. Now for the pikes.

woa! man your batch speed painting dude!! thas awesome! cant wait to see them

Sniper Kelly
19-02-2009, 22:18
Hi all,

Some more Wood Elves finished, just three more to go now!

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/jerrybudge/woodelvesms.jpg

alexh
20-02-2009, 06:23
Nice elves sniper kelly, the bases are cool. I've not done much in the last couple of days but with a whole weekend off work I'm going to have a massive painting session so more pics will be forthcoming over the weekend.

HsojVvad
20-02-2009, 17:44
Hello all. I know I havn't participated, and I said I would. The last few weeks have been really tough for me. No job, looking for work, and no work avaliable. I have gotten depressed and didn't feel like doing anything.

Well I am trying to turn around. I got all my mini's, LotR and 40K. I have seperated them, and got all my LotR now. Since I don't have money to buy a new army, I can only do with what I have. I am starting to paint Boromir. He will be my begining.

I took a few pics of what I have but they havn't turned out good. I will post because it is at least a start for me.

Wish me luck guys, I really want to do a good job with him. He is from MoM box set but I love that model.

More pics to come once I figure out how to upload them.

Joewrightgm
21-02-2009, 02:50
So I got my copy of War of the Ring pre-ordered, and I also picked up another box of Mordor Orcs. This will give me 8 full companies of hand weapons/shields, and enough to make 2 companies each of archers and two-handed weapons, although I may use them to pad the back ranks of my companies.

The Orcs are 15 pts a company, and fairly unimpressive stat wise, but their Horde rule gives them +2 attacks per supporting company instead of the normal +1, and by the looks of the good armies, I'm going to need all the help I can get!

Btw, Moranno orcs look very good; 25 points for a company with shields making them D 7, and their strength can really put a hurting to stuff with high D.

C-Coen
22-02-2009, 20:23
Altough I was thinking of doing an Elf army instead of my Moria one, simply because of the amount of models I would have to paint, today I did a Goblin tester with some paints and washes (8 in total), very quick and easy. And surprisingly, it looked quite nice, I'll try to get some pics soon.
So, consequently I bought 72 cheap - brand new - goblins on ebay. Can't wait to get them!

HsojVvad
22-02-2009, 22:36
A small update from me. I have finished painting my Borimir from MoM. He needs to be based now, but that will happen later.

I just wish I could paint faces better. I thought I did a good job in painting him, till I put some varnsih on. Now he is all smudged up. Argh, took me over 6 hours to paint him. I thought I was getting better, guess not.

Well have to hit it again tomorrow, and do some more.

Sniper Kelly
22-02-2009, 22:51
I've finished the last of my wood elves. I can't start my Galadhrim yet (No gold paint), so I'm going to paint some Uruks to bring them up to WoTR standard. Here's what I need to paint:
1 banner bearer
1 with pike
1 with sword & shield
1 Captain with crossbow (converted)
9 with crossbow
2 Berserkers

This'll give me 4 companies of Pikes, 4 of hand weapons, 2 crossbows and 1 berserker. I've got a few scouts as well, but I'll sort those out later.

I'll try and gets some pics tomorrow.

Joewrightgm
23-02-2009, 01:19
got another 12 Mordor Orc Swordsmen down. I've officially run out of room in my double-sized case, and I may need to invest in miniature foam that can hold more minis that mine do now.

I've got I belive another 12 Spearmen to do, then 6 each of Great weapons and orc bows.

LordKhaine
23-02-2009, 08:03
looking good guys

sorry that ive been away, i feel so down without my models lol

i will be back in action from the 3rd of march onwards and believe me, i will be painting to my best standards!

in my war of the ring army i have;

3 companies of elves with glaives (+1 F)
3 companies of elves with elf bows (increased range!)
3 companies of men of numenor with shields (allies)

characters are such as:

Gil-Galad
Elrond
Erestor
Celeborn
Galadriel
Elendil

and as for my monster it is none other then

GLORFINDEL

who is really beardy lol

and im going to add way more, so if anyone has any last alliance members they dont want and willing to trade/sell i will be more then happy for a reasonable price (more happy for a trade though lol)

Nightsword
23-02-2009, 08:39
Our armies are going to be so similar khaine XD If I can ever get the *********** robes right...

*says in high, patonising tone of voice* I see a lot of updates and not alot of pictures :angel:

LordKhaine
23-02-2009, 10:09
Our armies are going to be so similar khaine XD If I can ever get the *********** robes right...

*says in high, patonising tone of voice* I see a lot of updates and not alot of pictures :angel:

how are your robes at the moment? i would say do them red but i dont want you COMPLETELY copying off me ;) lol only joking

but serious, how are the robes?

and yes, lots of updates but no pics, so how are your elves nightsword? lol i have an excuse, im not in the same town as my models lol

Sniper Kelly
23-02-2009, 13:34
Some new pictures:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/jerrybudge/newminism.jpg

I've got nine Uruk crossbows to do now, then a couple of berserkers, and then back to elves...

Nightsword
23-02-2009, 13:45
We'll see who's copying who Khaine when I'm beating you around the head with my gold statuette in september :P

The highlighting of the robes isn't going well lol, sometimes it goes ok but others it just buggers up. I've been talking to the platoon britannica crew about contrast n stuff, so I'm leaving the elves for this week, and approach them again on the weekend. Troubel is, I've basecoated every elf I have with purple on the robes so I HAVE to follow it thought :( Most idiotic thing I've done since buying roses.

And btw, my models are also in a seperate town. All I have on me is a hellcannon and an orc!

@ Sniper Kelly: Very impressive dude.

donuter
23-02-2009, 16:30
Well no pics but I now have 24 riders after winning a store WotR preguil army with a store Harad army. Mumaks are wrong.

LordKhaine
24-02-2009, 09:13
well nightsword, it will be intrestig seeing our armies when they are fully finished wont it lol

and im sure u will get a statue before me, your a lot better painter then i am anyway lol

but i aint gonna let that get me down, because im always striving to be better lol

and i agree on daft idea of buying roses lol

@sniper kelly - wow, first time ive seen that pikemen to crossbowmen converstion that looks good lol, cant wait to see more uruks and elves lol

@donuter - wow, thats lucky, cant wait to see them, and mumaks are very very very wrong lol

C-Coen
24-02-2009, 09:32
Started yesterday with the real deal: 8 goblins finished, 2 half units (4 archers, 4 spears). Also did some work on converted Prowlers, tough no pics yet. They're made from Goblins, with hoods etc. Two-handed weapons are made from a speartip and a point from those shields.

The goblins are painted with just the base colours (boltgun metal, knarloc green and graveyard earth as most important ones), and consequently got two washes (badab black and devlan mud). Very easy and quick, but they look exactly like they should IMO. And well, you can't expect too much detail, I've got some 100 of those little critters to paint!

LordKhaine
24-02-2009, 09:36
@C-Coen - it seems like youve cracked batch painting dude, now tonnes of them together will look great, with a troll here nd there, and that prowler converstion sounds intresting, look forward to seeing it

alexh
24-02-2009, 11:56
Well, I've been busy over the weekend
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/003.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/004.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/005.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/006-1.jpg
I'm quite pleased with how these are turning out.

alexh
24-02-2009, 11:59
Continued from last post
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/008.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/011-1.jpg
and what I still have to do
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/010.jpg
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww301/alexhadfield/009.jpg
Enjoy

SkymaN
24-02-2009, 12:28
Hey, alexh. Could you tell me a diam of the Eagle's base? Thanks.

alexh
24-02-2009, 13:32
SkymaN, it's a 60mm flying base.

LordKhaine
24-02-2009, 13:47
impressive alex, youve give this thread a nice booster. your guys look sweet, nice metal on it, and good batch painting, might start callng you mr badab black lol, didnt know you were having an eagle in there. so gonna have to play you at War' when it comes out

Nightsword
24-02-2009, 18:57
well nightsword, it will be intrestig seeing our armies when they are fully finished wont it lol

and im sure u will get a statue before me, your a lot better painter then i am anyway lol

but i aint gonna let that get me down, because im always striving to be better lol

and i agree on daft idea of buying roses lol

You're a pillock if you actually think that XD If you're heading down to Birmingham in September, might be interesting to meet (I'm assuming most of us are the same age on here...). I'm going to be loning it anyway lol. I got next week off so I'm going to maybe try drybrushing a set of robes and see what happens there. If not, I'm going to have to perfect a layering method pretty quickly lol. No elfy painting until next week, nope.

@ C-coen: Great stuff mate, looking forward to more!

@ Alexh: Very very cool to see those ranks, though Gandalf looks a little flat ;) Some paint might cure that :P I didn't realise the movement bases were out yet, going to have get me some of them. Tip for you that I have is maybe to water down some chaos black (or scorched brown for some colour)and wash the white tree icon of the chestplate to shade it, just to make it *pop*. Would be a good finishing touch.

warhammergrimace
25-02-2009, 21:58
I've not posted for a while, due to being distracted with painting some competition pieces. Though will upload some wips tomorrow.

I have this Dunlending Chieftain finished though.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3178/2836037089_e798afef3b.jpg

Sniper Kelly
25-02-2009, 22:06
Very nice paintjob warhammergrimace!

I've got a load of Dunlendings which I must get round to painting one day!

rakath
26-02-2009, 07:51
Ok.

I'm going to do a full ent army for WotR. I'm not sure if it's a legal list, but I don't care. I never play in tournaments anyway, and my opponents are pretty flexible.
And the main thing is having fun constructing ents anyway :)

All these ents are still WIP.
I just ran out of Green Stuff and Woodland Scenics tree armatures, and I'm waiting for the package to arrive.
And sorry for the crappy pictures. I took them quickly, didn't bother with white balances or perfect lighting.

First ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/ents-wip-1.jpg/ents-wip-1-full.jpg)

I first took some BBQ sticks, and tied them together with thin steel wire, to make the "skeleton" for the ent.
Then I covered it with cheap air-drying modelling clay, to make the bulk of the miniature.
Arms and branches are Woodland Scenic tree armatures, which I cut down to pieces and pinned in place.
The bark is made from Green Stuff.

There's lots of work still to be done. A few more details on the bark, more branches, the base, the foliage (with WS foliage clumps) and painting, of course.

Second ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/ents-wip-4.jpg/ents-wip-4-full.jpg)
Third ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/ents-wip-2.jpg/ents-wip-2-full.jpg)
Fourth ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/ents-wip-3.jpg/ents-wip-3-full.jpg)

For the four WIP ents I used about 500g of modelling clay, 20" of Green Stuff and half-a-bag of tree armatures and foliage clumps. So the total cost for an ent is somewhere between 4-8 euros.

Here (http://figuja.googlepages.com/enttikollaasi1.jpg/enttikollaasi1-full.jpg) and here (http://figuja.googlepages.com/ent1.jpg/ent1-full.jpg) are a couple of ents I prepared earlier :)

If somebody has access to the rulebook, could you check the points cost for an ent, and if there's any hero ent stats included (treebeard, quickbeam etc).
Are huorns and black-hearted trees included in the WotR book?

alexh
26-02-2009, 08:45
Those Ents are cool rakath.

Mindless_Destruction
26-02-2009, 09:17
will get some rangers of arnor, arathorn and halbarad on saturday so i'll get them done soon

Cherubael
26-02-2009, 10:03
If somebody has access to the rulebook, could you check the points cost for an ent, and if there's any hero ent stats included (treebeard, quickbeam etc).
Are huorns and black-hearted trees included in the WotR book?

Treebeard and another named Ent, which may or not be Quickbeam as the name escapes me right now, are in the WOTR book. I'll try and get another look at the book later today and get back to you on the points costs etc. if no one else does first :D

C-Coen
26-02-2009, 10:31
Did another 8 goblins yesterday, 4 warriors with shield, 2 prowlers with shield and 2 prowlers with 2-handed weapon.

Cherubael
26-02-2009, 20:17
Update for the Ent lovers, Quickbeam is in the list for Ents and normal ents cost 125 points. They are part of the Forgotten kingdoms army list that cannot be your main list and can only be used as allies for another Good list.

Sniper Kelly
26-02-2009, 22:39
rakath, those Ents look great!

Joewrightgm
27-02-2009, 14:37
Almost done with my Mordor army; I've got enough now for a 1,500pt game of War, and I just need to finish 12 spearmen and 7 each of two-handed weapons and orc bows.

Mr Feral
27-02-2009, 15:25
I would like to say I made some progress, but I haven't. :(

The good news is I have 24 Corsairs, a Captain and Bo'sun ready for undercoating, but not much time till next week to do those unfortunately.

Still, those rumours I keep reading about the 75/25% allies system sounds like just what I want (some Corsairs to back up loads of Orcs and Spirits - woohoo!). :)

Oh yes, should mention how well things are moving along in the Tale, we've seen a lot of good things so far. :)

Lunar
27-02-2009, 22:39
Thought i'd post after a long delay. Still painting my Dwarf Warriors because I am trying to make them look as good as possible considering I've not painted for over two and a bit years. Got a box of Rangers backed up waiting to be painted too.

Annoyingly i tried to get Balin's Guard set from my local store yet they don't have it and their website HATES my card, so no idea what to do.

Going to go in tomorrow to:
Buy some PVA and some sand as unbased miniatures look terrible.
Maybe buy some more Dwarf Warriors and make Balin wait.
See if they have some of those new Infantry trays as they will make this army look ready(er) for War Of The Ring.

Oh, and as it will be the 28th i will probably look at all the new Dwarf heroes and hopefully not get lost in a sea of over enthusiastic children.

Sniper Kelly
27-02-2009, 22:40
I've finished my Uruk Hai crossbowmen now, I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow. In the meantime I'm still waiting for some gold paint to turn up so that I can start on my Galadhrim, so I've been messing about with some spare bits and came up with a couple of Mordor Uruks.

I'll paint these up, if they're any good I might make a couple of companies of them.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/jerrybudge/mordororcss.jpg

Mindless_Destruction
28-02-2009, 05:20
i got some rangers of arnor and arathorn and halbarad to lead them
add 6 dunedain and i have enough for a 500pt game, almost there

Sniper Kelly
28-02-2009, 15:38
Sounds good, are you going with the older Dunedain or the new Rangers of the North?

donuter
28-02-2009, 17:29
Bad news (not terrible though)
I recently found my self instore and was taken by how awsome ranked Uruk-hai pikes look. Rules wise Easterling are better but somehow I've been swayed to take Isenguard rather than Fallen Kingdoms. Updates of nes Figures soon of course.

tassiewargamer
01-03-2009, 00:10
Ok I have not been able to finish painitng anything this month because of school and work commitments but I will have a long weekend next week and Easter coming up meaning I will get alot done.

Just rememebred I made a cool Moria terrain piece will try to post it.

Mindless_Destruction
01-03-2009, 02:55
old dunedain models of course, they look pretty cool

rakath
01-03-2009, 09:12
(Here's (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3327760&postcount=187) my previous post if you missed it)

I painted the ents, and added foliage. Base is still under construction, and there's a couple of little things to be fixed and added.

Orc-smasher ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/lyomaentti-wip-1.jpg/lyomaentti-wip-1-full.jpg)
This ent was meant to be in a "worshipping the sun" kind of pose, with it's arms raised and a wonderous expression on it's face. But it looked more like a frightened cartoon mouse running away in fear, with it's arms flailing about.
So I changed the pose slightly, and added a couple of plastic orcs it is about to smash together.
Glue is still wet in the branches, but it'll dry up clear.

Stone thrower (http://maktah.googlepages.com/koivu-wip-1.jpg/koivu-wip-1-full.jpg)
A birch tree ent, throwing a stone. I'm not completely happy the way it's birch bark turned out, but there you have it.

Stumpy ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/tumppientti-wip-1.jpg/tumppientti-wip-1-full.jpg)
No real story here. Just a short, stocky ent waiving it's arms about.

Old grumpy ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/vanhaentti-wip-1.jpg/vanhaentti-wip-1-full.jpg)
Very old, grumpy ent. Could be used as a malevolent "black-hearted tree" also. I tried to mimic the Lovecraftian "Dark young of Shub-Niggurath".
Some paint has chipped off, I have to fix that.

Next I'm trying to build the named hero ents from WotR (Treebeard, Quickbeam, Beechbone). This is the first time I try to make a straight copy an ent from the movie, so I'm a bit worried how they're going to turn out.

It's sad that a ents-only army isn't legal in WotR. Oh well, these are going to be reserved for friendly games then. And maybe in small local campaigns.
I've never been a fan of armies with men/elves mixed with ents.

Sniper Kelly
01-03-2009, 11:15
I'm still loving those Ents Rakath, I might have a go at one myself!

Here's the last of my Uruks, I have enough now for sixteen companies:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/jerrybudge/wotrupdates.jpg

Next up: Elves and men of Gondor.

alexh
01-03-2009, 15:55
You did a great job on those Uruks sniper, can't wait to see your elves and men. I'm just about to base another 16 minas tirith archers (only 1 more company of them to go now) and then I'll crack on with more grey company. I did some adding up yesterday and my army is weighing in at around 2500 points!

iPaint
01-03-2009, 22:05
Started on the 2nd half of the 100 plastic Uruks I had black washed a few weeks back. Been busy with classes and have been away from painting for a while.

Will post pics as they come along.

Joewrightgm
01-03-2009, 23:07
Been a while since I've updated. I have been focusing on games more than painting, and I have just finished 12 spearmen. All I have left to do is 6 each of bowmen and two-handed weapons, and I'll be ready for war.

Naturally, I'll add either some more morannon orcs but more likely it will be Mordor Uruks.

Nightsword
03-03-2009, 10:34
I'm not seeing any pictures Joe, ipaint or alexh... :angel:

Nice work on the crossbow uruks Sniper, they look wicked, as in, totally evil!

PS: Death korp get and update!

Mr Feral
03-03-2009, 13:32
Ahoy thar mateys, I've actually got something painted;

Corsair Captain:

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp41/Mister_Feral/Corsairs%20of%20Umbar/CorsairCaptainfrontsmall.jpg

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp41/Mister_Feral/Corsairs%20of%20Umbar/CorsairCaptainbacksmall.jpg

I love this model, in fact it's probably one of my favourite things I've painted over the years. I also switched from using Scorched Brown for the base rim to Charadon Granite because of it's slight green tint. :D

Next on the painting desk for the Tale; a Corsair Bo'sun and some Corsairs of course. :)

Nightsword
03-03-2009, 13:36
Feral: That's reminiscent of the stuff Dax did, and pretty much the same quality. Very gritty, so therefore I love it. Great work.

Mr Feral
03-03-2009, 13:52
Feral: That's reminiscent of the stuff Dax did, and pretty much the same quality. Very gritty, so therefore I love it. Great work.

You're too kind, but we all know dax can paint better than me. :angel:

Having flicked briefly through the new rulebook and played a demo game on Saturday, I'm actually getting around to painting some LotR for once. I'm pretty certain I'll get another Captain but armed with a crossbow instead to lead some Arbelesters. (I haven't seem them in the rulebook yet but I assume they're in there) :)

Joewrightgm
03-03-2009, 14:16
Oh yes Mr. Feral, they're in there. Nice Captain.

"Take what you can, give nothin' back!"

C-Coen
03-03-2009, 14:45

It's just that dax would have done 30 models by this time :D

But very nice work indeed, all of you actually. More, more!!

(:angel:)

Nightsword
03-03-2009, 15:46
Ah C-coen, that is so true! He showed us good n proper last year... In that case, Feral, you're slacking!

I think it's pretty much as good btw mate, a few sharper lines in places, but generally, it's pretty damn good.

I have an update :eek:

Very very very much WIP Elves. I think I sorted the purple, not quite what I had in mind when I first started them, but hell, luminous purple that is smooth is nothing to sniff at XD I can't help but wonder if it needs another highlight....

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/elfarchers.jpg

And I bought myself a present... cleared out the LGS of bases (hell of a present... pffffft). I'm still one pack short *raises eyebrow*

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/elves.jpg

So that means my collection stems to 32 elven swordsmen, 24 elven bowmen, captain, standard, gil-galad, elrond, elladan and elrohir, glorfindel on foot (grrrrr, i don't have the mounted one, he'll probably end up as a wood elf captain). Haldir and some lothlorien elves, which I'm pretty keen to get rid of.

I played the test scenario and beat a mordor force quite convincingly, though wood elves swordsmen with their throwing weapons seemed to do better than the high elf archers :wtf: Definately going to add some of those bad boys!

Anyone know if the elnaith (high elven cavalry) are in the book? What about chariots and catapults?

Joewrightgm
03-03-2009, 16:28
Nightsword: Yes and Yes!

Nice purple cloth too. I don't paint purple because I kind of suck at it, so hat's off.

I finally have a camera, but my camera-fu is weak. I'll try to get some tomorrow.

Lunar
03-03-2009, 16:51
Having issues sorting out colours for my Dwarf army, it's Erebor based which means no Vault Vardens, Durin or Mardin but still packs some punch. I WILL post an image of one or two tomorrow as i need some other opinions on my painting skill and general feedback.

alexh
03-03-2009, 20:22
Nightsword, the purple might look better when the cloaks and armour are finished as it looks a bit bright next to them right now. nice and smooth though, keep it up.

Crisis_Core
04-03-2009, 02:48
@Nightsword: Nice elves mate! Liking the robes a lot now, very very different from the norm. Now all we need is the same justice on the metallics as well :P
@Mr.Feral: Very nice, love the tanned flesh that he has!
@Sniper:Nice uruks mate, love that sort of green tinge that is coming through on the flesh.

Okay. Been ages since I made an update, but here we are:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/johnyance/DSC04409_edited.jpg
2, yes TWO more elves to add to the war machine.

...Something tells me my WoTR games are going to be rather small....

PS. By the way guys, we're doing a To9G over on the One Ring forums, and we have some absolutely insane painters churning out some quality armies.

Check it out >>HERE<< (http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/album.php)

Nightsword
04-03-2009, 12:12
I don't paint purple because I kind of suck at it

Me too haha! Cheers!

@ Alexh: For sure.

@ Crisis_Core: Sounds like a challenge! Great looking elves btw, your opponent shouldn't mind playing smaller games when playing against such a beautiful army.

Sniper Kelly
04-03-2009, 22:14
Hi all,

Great to see so many Elf armies!

My gold paint finally turned up, so I've been working on my Galadhrim. Still a bit of work to do, but the archers are nearly done:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/jerrybudge/galadhrim.jpg

alexh
04-03-2009, 22:48
Those Elves are looking really nice guys, I'm still up to my eyes in rangers but I'll have another update soon (Friday hopefully :D).

LordKhaine
05-03-2009, 22:30
hey everybody!!! im baaaaaaaack lol (muahahaha)

after a long (too long) time off im finally back with paint brush in hand

update for people, no pics as there isnt any

but

i have ordered 3 last alliance boxes, and the war of the ring book, and i have aquired all the bases i need for the newly coming and those i already have

144 models in total of men and elves! woop

as to everyone

@alexh - keep up the great work old man, looking forward to showing you who the more superior archers are in middle earth

@nightsword - that purple is good, stop doubting yourself, sure one or two more highlights might make it work, but i found with elves, dont judge one part until u finished the whole model (gold can do with a highlight lol)

@crisis - i am jealous man, those are some damn good elves

@sniper - i love your stuff dude, pure awseomeness lol

@everyone else - all great, all of it, just keep up the stuff, from corsairs to sculpted ents (which own the new ones btw) keep it up and keep it coming, war of the ring is nearly here!!

rakath
06-03-2009, 07:21
(My previous posts with WIP pics are here (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3327760&postcount=187) and here (http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3336380&postcount=203))

I caught a nasty flu, and took a week off work. Couldn't do anything, because of the ear infection and fever, but now I'm feeling better.

And today I finally finished my ents.

Orc-smasher (http://maktah.googlepages.com/enttivalmis1.jpg/enttivalmis1-full.jpg)

Old cranky ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/enttivalmis4.jpg/enttivalmis4-full.jpg)

Birch ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/enttivalmis3.jpg/enttivalmis3-full.jpg)

Stocky ent (http://maktah.googlepages.com/enttivalmis2.jpg/enttivalmis2-full.jpg)

I've started working on Treebeard and Quickbeam, that I'm building from scratch, based on some screenshots from the movie.

Sniper Kelly
06-03-2009, 22:25
Very nice, Rakath, look forward to seeing Treebeard and Quickbeam!

Nightsword
07-03-2009, 17:56
An update from Nightsword, with hopefully, justice being served to the gold...

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/elves2.jpg

The only difference (on the gold) is the lack of a gyphonne sepia wash compared to my first picture, reshown here:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn287/nightsword1/elf.jpg

I really need to learn how to take some decent pictures... XD

Lardidar
07-03-2009, 18:01
They look fantastic mate.

How do you do that gold? .... I suck at painting metallics.

Nightsword
08-03-2009, 07:00
:D Cheers!
The gold is quite a few steps, and each step (bar the washes) is thinned with water. First, basecoat with a shining gold/scorched brown mixture. Then it gets a wash of devlan mud, and then thraka green. For the next steps I also use glaze matt medium (GMM), which for me helps against clumping and makes the application smoother. I went shining gold/GMM, shining gold/Boltgun metal/GMM (2:1:1 "Scoop"), shining gold/boltgun metal/ GMM (1:1:1). A final glazing of gryphonne sepia was used on the last picture of the previous post to restore the "yellowness" of the gold and smooth it out further, though the company shot has yet to have this applied (or I don't know whether I will apply it).

Hope that helps :)

LordKhaine
08-03-2009, 11:50
looking good nightsword, looking very good

Sniper Kelly
08-03-2009, 17:41
Hi all,

Another update, I've completed the Galadhrim (10 swords and 5 archers), and I've been working on some converted Mordor Uruks.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/jerrybudge/galadhrimandmordoruruks.jpg

Crisis_Core
08-03-2009, 21:42
@Nightsword: Sweet stuff man. The only thing i need to say is that your gold needs a bit of a 'kick'. Perhaps a highlight on the very extreme edges with a mixture of mithril silver and your gold combo? It's just that it's lacking contrast.

And of course, you should try taking pics on a neutral background so everything behind the mini's doesn't look so busy. But I'm sure you already knew that :P

@Sniper: Whew, some excellent speed there mate! And they look pretty good to boot! Keep it up!

Crovax20
09-03-2009, 16:08
Hehe, might as well join in on the fun, first some shots of me army

http://www.files-up.de/2009/galerie/upload/01/20090306.080331.jpg

http://www.files-up.de/2009/galerie/upload/01/20090306.081125.jpg

http://www.files-up.de/2009/galerie/upload/01/20090306.081230.jpg

And here some pics of my fighting uruk-hai which are now mostly painted (12 left to go!)

http://www.files-up.de/2009/galerie/upload/01/20090309.052705.jpg

http://www.files-up.de/2009/galerie/upload/01/20090309.052747.jpg

Oh, I just started with the hobby, so don't be to critical about my painting abilities :eek:

Death Korp
09-03-2009, 17:00
Hello everyone :)

Sorry I haven't been around lately, but the Iron Warriors have needed some TLC'ing for a tournament final thats coming up. But, i'll be coming back with stripped models soon.

The plan is to get all the models stripped so I can get basic colours down on them, and then I can 'dip' them all, making my life easier in the long run :D

I've spent a while lurking on this log to see how you are all getting on, and you all seem to be doing fantastically, so well done.

I need to get my copy and some trays...

DK

Nightsword
09-03-2009, 18:27
@ LK today: Cheers duuuuuude! btw, you have PM ;)

@ Crisis: The gold is quite polished IRL, and thus the light really reflects of it nicely. It's difficult to capture on camera. I may experiment with an extra highlight however, just for you sweetie. And I probably should build a lightbox or something. I add a background in and the pictures are too dark. No background, and the lamp washes the colour out.

Speaking of lamps, I did a ditzy blonde bimbo thing and left my lamp at home... What a silly billy [read: cockerell]

@ Crovax20: Wow, keep posting man, nice stuff!

@ Death Korp: Welcome back mate! Sod Iron warriors... they have guns and nasty backpacksssss, no precious, you come back to the WOTR thread, oh yessssssssssssss.

Ahem.

Space Marine Stryc
09-03-2009, 23:31
Mid-Semester break has finally given me a chance to blow the dust off the old brush, I didnít get too much done but itís a start. Because all of my Uruks are already painted I started on 4 Orcs, a Warg Rider, and a lone pikemen who I didnít know I had. ;) I also varnished my last unvarnished Uruks as well as the dwarves I have finished.

Sniper Kelly
10-03-2009, 18:05
I like those Dwarves, very nice indeed. The Uruks look good, too.

Crisis_Core
17-03-2009, 23:29
It's been a long time coming, but here are some updates! small as usual of course :P

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k320/johnyance/DSC04462.jpg

where did everyone go!

lorelorn
18-03-2009, 10:17
all out buying bases I expect!

great painting everyone. I'm working on a base of Black Numenoreans and hope to have some pics up soon

Sniper Kelly
19-03-2009, 16:49
I've not had much time to paint this week, but I managed to finish off a few figures, a couple of wood elves and some Mordor Uruks.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h220/jerrybudge/wotr1s.jpg

I hope to to make two units of Mordor Uruk Hai, but I'll have to wait till I can get the parts together.

LordKhaine
19-03-2009, 22:48
these are all looking good guys, we got to keep this up, ive had a problem doing much to mine as they are in my army case left down my local GW, and the night i had them here, my camera wasnt working!

ive had a few games of WotR now and im finding it really great, all dwarf plays must have "kings champions" as two of them killed my 1500 pt elf army!!

Joewrightgm
21-03-2009, 14:04
Hadn't posted in a while, but I'm done with my mordor orcs (for now). Looking to add some uruks or more morannon.

Crisis_Core
22-03-2009, 00:05
Could we see an army pic Joe??

Mindless_Destruction
22-03-2009, 04:20
@everyone: good work, keep it up!

i have gotten a 500pts grey company army together for conflict next month so i will hopefully expand on that and put pictures up ASAP

Fredox
23-03-2009, 09:50
After getting the OK from Mr Feral I'm jumping in a bit late with my Isenguard force. My local store is running a competition that will increase in points as time goes by so the idea is simple - keep roughly on track with the points for the competition. I've got a stack of models that need cleaning up and painting and will post up a list of what I have to paint once I've rounded them all up.

edit: After rounding up what i think is all of my LotR models (always manage to "find" some more some place) I have;

1 Captain
1 banner
6 crossbows
3 Berserkers
25 sword and shield Uruk-hai
25 pike Uruk-hia
24 Scouts
18 Warg riders
1 Troll

So before the addition of any models I make that 9 infantry companies, 9 cavalry companies and the troll. Pics aren't really worth it now as all you'd see is bare models.

gonzosbignose
24-03-2009, 16:43
Fredox...

how are you finding the new Cwmbran store? Lian the manager is an ex chap from the Worcester store... and he always seems cheery when we catch up...

Is the store doing ok? Big WOTR following?

Next question... if i want in on your WOTR goodness on this thread? who do i need to poke? Mr Feral?

Regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer

Mr Feral
24-03-2009, 17:23
Next question... if i want in on your WOTR goodness on this thread? who do i need to poke? Mr Feral

Aye Gonzo, you're in! :)

Fredox
24-03-2009, 17:27
The store seems good. A lot of youngsters but only a couple to avoid from what I've seen. Manager seems good to and even better when you think it's a one man store. Not been going there long as I'm only just getting back into the hobby but always seems to be people in the store.

Back on topic. I gave Mr Feral a pm but I think the opening post says just posting in the thread should get you added to the list.

Quick update on my progress - I now have all the pike Uruk-hia, all the sword/shield Uruk-hia and 12 of the Warg riders ready to undercoat and I should get that done today. With a couple of command options it should bring me to 500 pts ready for friday and thursday will be spent painting as mush as possible.

edit: must type faster

donuter
24-03-2009, 18:07
my mate runs cwmbran. Glad he's good

gonzosbignose
25-03-2009, 13:11
Well Hello everyone...

I should firstly introduce myself... My name is Daniel... and i am a wargamer...

My main love at the moment is my 40k orks (which the thread is at the bottom in my signature)

LOTR the game didnt do it for me at all. Whilst i loved the films and the books, and found the models pretty fascinating (the idea of realscale as apposed to heroic was a nice change) the actual game didnt do it for me at all.

WOTR however has totally hooked me. Ive played a couple of games now in my local store, had a good leaf through the book, and thought... aagghhh.... lets spend some more money in GW. (ironically im a share holder who has only once received a dividend! lol)

Ive chosen to do an Angmar/plus other bits list.

to include:-

Witch King (obviously)
buhrdur (im never sure how many h's and r's) but the troll guy
Ghulvar, the terror of Arnor
Couple of other ringwraiths

Mornanon Orks (around 8 bases or so)
Army of the dead (6 bases or so)
White Wargs (3 bases)
Bat Swarms (6 bases)

Foot Morghul Knights (1 base)
Mounted Morghul Knights (6 bases)

Ther might be other bits to add, but i havent decided really...

So pics...

The Morghul Foot Knights lead by Wraith

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l460/gonzosbignose/DSCF0782.jpg

The Witchking of Angmar

http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l460/gonzosbignose/DSCF0783.jpg

Thats my lot.... Now to comment on all yours...

Lordkhaine
Your elves are really crips looking and i love your metalic gold. I notice you have Gil Galad amongst your guys... he is so stupednously broken in the WOTR... Fight Value 10... 6 might points... (scary) Big pile of Dwarfs too... although Elfs and Dwarfs??? good allies?

CaptDrill
Warmaster LOTR??? Are these from the middle earth game? Nice work though...

CrisisCore
Your Elves are also looking fab (they are models which ooz class so i think they paint nicely. I notice your in Australia... when i first watched the LOTR movies... and the Elves were sailing away... my sister, who is alot younger than i (16 years) askedif the elves were sailing to Australia... it still makes me smile

iPAINT
How many models have you got there? i did a rough count and it looked close to 1000. Your uruks look fabulous by the way, and the dipping technique really works out well on those models doesnt it.

Nightsword
I see your from my old battlegrounds of Bristol. Do you frequent any of the GCN clubs down there? Portburyknights? Vanguard? bristolBiguns?
your elfs look fabulous, but ive seen your painting on here in other places and i know you are a dab hand!

Sniperkelly
The head swaps hav worked out really well... Genuinely i think it is hard to see them, which is the sign of both a good conversion, as well as a good choice in heads. I also love the fact you have strung your bows.

Alexh
I think the grey company is an interesting idea, however its ver easy to get drawn into to much grey! Yours look great so far however...
What other things do you have planned for the army.

Necrothrall
Nice Ringwraith... i like it cos it looks fab... and also... looks alot like mine have turned out

Mindless Destruction
"they have a cave troll"
Your Moria bits are awesome... Durburz looks fab.. and plans for Balrogs?Dragons? Stone giants? Spiders?

Sylverclaw
The easterlings (whom are great for hunting easter eggs i hear) look superd... its a really vivid gold and red you have achieved and these vivid bright colours are something which the 'bad guy' army lacks in my opinion.

C-Coen
Billy the Balrog looks great. The wing swap is really nice, and well modelled. Ive seen a couple of wing swaps for the balrog now... and yours is right in there amongst the best

Rakath
Good ent'y goodness...

Mr Feral
The corsairs of umbar arent my favourite models at all to behonest, but you have proved something which ive believe for many years. A good paint job can make any figre look great. A bad paint job can make any model look bad!
Your Corsair is really impressive... great hues and colours...

Crovax
Whats this? Orks by the boat load? thats alot of Rohirim fodder!

Regards

My name is Daniel and I am a wargamer

Mindless_Destruction
26-03-2009, 05:13
thanks gonzo
im defineately thinking about a balrog but insufficient funds restrict this

nice work from you too

gonzosbignose
26-03-2009, 09:42
mindless_destruction

I think everyone should have a Balrog...

Games workshop does some awesome figures every now and then...

But Billy The Balrog is one of there best...

Save up... More paper rounds... More hours in the office... Sell your soul...

GET A BALROG!!! :evilgrin:

Regarding my current work... Its not until today i noticed just how crap the photo's ive taken are! I'm planning on basing the fellas over the next week days, so will re photo and re post.

Regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer